Author Topic: Van Halen appreciation thread  (Read 22770 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Van Halen appreciation thread
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12D7c5lNyLE

Lost in Vegas reacting to Ain't Talkin' Bout Love. Needless to say, they love it. I love watching these guys react to music
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
It was fun while it lasted, but I thought it was a long shot. Why would Anthony go back to a group of guys that treated him like shit the last 15 years? There's something brewing in Van Halen land though, that's for sure. It would have been cool to see the original lineup though, last time I saw them, the band was on fire musically, but Dave can't do anything, he just talks his way through songs.

I knew it was BS as soon as Trunk started talking about it. If Van Halen does announce a stadium tour, it would be interesting to see who they brought along to co-headline with or have open for them.
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/michael-anthony-shoots-down-van-halen-reunion-rumors-i-havent-spoken-to-any-of-the-guys-since-2004/
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
Recent pic of DLR:

:eek :eek :eek

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2018, 08:27:32 PM »
It's a bad day when Eddie Van Halen looks amazing compared to you  :lol

He looks a lot like Terrence Stamp
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2018, 08:37:24 PM »
Oh wait, is that real?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2018, 08:46:41 PM »
Imagine him now with the Woolly Mammoth boots? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2018, 04:42:07 AM »
Wow he looks old

I saw a Facebook event pop up for Van Halen and Foo Fighters at Yankee stadium and after some excitement I realized it was fake. Definitely a lot of chatter about a tour though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2019, 05:49:47 PM »
Wow he looks old

I saw a Facebook event pop up for Van Halen and Foo Fighters at Yankee stadium and after some excitement I realized it was fake. Definitely a lot of chatter about a tour though.

Even Roth hinted at something coming; the Michael Anthony thing was Trunk shooting his mouth off over something he "heard" from a source that had credible information in the past.   Michael Anthony is not coming back to Van Halen.  It's not like AC/DC reuniting with Johnson (there's rumors of that too, by the way) or Perry coming back to Aerosmith.   Eddie is NOT firing his son for that. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »
Recent pic of DLR:

:eek :eek :eek

I hope those pants aren't ass-less!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
They're not as long as he's in them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2019, 06:52:04 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2019, 07:39:22 PM »

Haha, I disagree with that, with every fibre of my being, but it's still very funny.

Offline Adami

« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2019, 08:30:59 PM »

Haha, I disagree with that, with every fibre of my being, but it's still very funny.

Oh I have no idea. Just too good a joke to pass up.

Honestly, based solely on the few interviews and stuff I've seen, the only person I'd say doesn't come off as a dick is Michael Anthony. But again, I don't know. Not a hardcore fan.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »
Wow he looks old

Even Roth hinted at something coming; the Michael Anthony thing was Trunk shooting his mouth off over something he "heard" from a source that had credible information in the past.   Michael Anthony is not coming back to Van Halen.  It's not like AC/DC reuniting with Johnson (there's rumors of that too, by the way) or Perry coming back to Aerosmith.   Eddie is NOT firing his son for that.

And then the next day Trunk is yelling, "Of COOURRRSEEE it was just a rumor!!!!!".
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2019, 09:01:55 PM »
Wow he looks old

And then the next day Trunk is yelling, "Of COOURRRSEEE it was just a rumor!!!!!".

Good observation.  :)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2019, 09:42:11 PM »
Wow he looks old

I wonder though...would MA ever go back to Van Halen if they wanted him back? I don't know much about the dude but he seems like he doesn't need the money so if he did it, he'd do it for the fans.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2019, 11:28:43 PM »
Wow he looks old

I wonder though...would MA ever go back to Van Halen if they wanted him back? I don't know much about the dude but he seems like he doesn't need the money so if he did it, he'd do it for the fans.

Well, and this is my opinion only, but I think he would in a heartbeat, but I agree with you, it wouldn't be for the money or the fame, it'd be because he in his heart believes it's the right thing to do for the fans.   He just strikes me as that kind of guy.   

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2019, 12:05:12 AM »
Well, and this is my opinion only, but I think he would in a heartbeat, but I agree with you, it wouldn't be for the money or the fame, it'd be because he in his heart believes it's the right thing to do for the fans.   He just strikes me as that kind of guy.

Yeah he seems like a good guy. I've never heard of him bad-mouthing the Van Halen brothers or even bring up how badly he was treated by them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2019, 09:17:46 AM »
Yep, I think Anthony would definitely do it, simply for the sake of the band's legacy and giving the fans what they want (and the paycheck of course).  I don't think the brothers or DLR give a damn about the band's legacy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
Yep, I think Anthony would definitely do it, simply for the sake of the band's legacy and giving the fans what they want (and the paycheck of course).  I don't think the brothers or DLR give a damn about the band's legacy.

Agreed about the fans but not sure what the "legacy" has to do with it.   I said Anthony WOULD do it, but I'm not in agreement that somehow the brothers or Dave SHOULD do it.  I like the Wolfie Van Halen, frankly, and am not on the "if it doesn't have Mike it's not legit" bandwagon at all.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
If they need anyone back in the band, it's Sammy.  You might not like what VH did to Anthony and you might not like that they replaced him with his son and it's not longer the original band.... but Wolfgang can at least hold his own.  He's likely a much better musician than Anthony and can add in the background vocals.  He is not holding the band back... but DLR, he really just adds nothing being "original member" and jump kicks.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »
If they need anyone back in the band, it's Sammy.  You might not like what VH did to Anthony and you might not like that they replaced him with his son and it's not longer the original band.... but Wolfgang can at least hold his own.  He's likely a much better musician than Anthony and can add in the background vocals.  He is not holding the band back... but DLR, he really just adds nothing being "original member" and jump kicks.

Wolfgang may be a better musician but I think singing ability would be more important than who the better bass player is in this sort of band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
and his singing ability is fine though, I think Michael had that classic background vocals that gave VH some signature sound but in the live show I saw, I felt like it wasn't missing that with Wolfgang.   I'm not saying I like Wolfgang more or anything, just think if the aren't going to stick with the original line up, then don't stick with DLR either.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »
and his singing ability is fine though, I think Michael had that classic background vocals that gave VH some signature sound but in the live show I saw, I felt like it wasn't missing that with Wolfgang.   I'm not saying I like Wolfgang more or anything, just think if the aren't going to stick with the original line up, then don't stick with DLR either.

Yeah I've never been a fan of Roth. He had a cool voice on the albums but he was never really good live even back in the day and I don't know why his onstage antics appeal to so many fans.

I think Hagar's a way better singer but the problem is him singing the Roth-era stuff. Would he even do it? I'm more of a casual Van Halen fan so I don't know much about this but I always heard Hagar refused to sing those songs or if he did sing them it was only on rare occasions.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »
I'm not sure Sammy would sing the DLR deep cuts but he sings the hit songs and I really enjoy his vocals on those songs.  From their live album, Sammy singing Jump and Panama are awesome IMO.  He did Unchained on the last tour he did with VH too which was awesome, one of the highlights from that show.  I'd love to see Sammy sing some more DLR songs, but I am not sure if that's something he is willing to do.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »
I'm not sure Sammy would sing the DLR deep cuts but he sings the hit songs and I really enjoy his vocals on those songs.  From their live album, Sammy singing Jump and Panama are awesome IMO.  He did Unchained on the last tour he did with VH too which was awesome, one of the highlights from that show.  I'd love to see Sammy sing some more DLR songs, but I am not sure if that's something he is willing to do.

That's cool. It's something I've always wondered about but I guess I was too lazy to just look on YouTube. I've watched a couple concerts with Hagar but I don't remember him singing any of the Roth stuff.

Offline Adami

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2019, 10:54:20 AM »
From what I've seen on youtube, Sammy sings all (or most) of the Roth hits, but I just assume Roth skips the Hagar songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »
From what I've seen on youtube, Sammy sings all (or most) of the Roth hits, but I just assume Roth skips the Hagar songs.

Yea, Roth doesn't / can't do the Sammy songs.  That's why I do think it would be cool for a best of both worlds type of show.  Let each of them do thier own sets of their songs and everyone is happy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »

Yea, Roth doesn't / can't do the Sammy songs.  That's why I do think it would be cool for a best of both worlds type of show.  Let each of them do thier own sets of their songs and everyone is happy.

Not a reply to you, personally, Cram, but just continuing the thought... I don't think it's "can't", but I definitely think it's "won't".  Sammy is a great singer, no doubt, and when I saw them (OU812 tour) it was a killer show (though Eddie was just starting to show the effects of his antics around that time).  But as good as Sam is, you can't tell me that Black and Blue is THAT hard a song to sing.   Yeah, it may sound different (Roth's range is said to be five octaves, but the bottom two are basically unusable for a Sammy-era VH song, and I don't think Dave can reliably hit the top one any more).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2019, 02:00:13 PM »
Roth's range is said to be five octaves

:rollin  "Said" by who? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
I dont know, maybe DLR "can" sing much better than he actually does, and I'm sure the reality is that he "won't" more so than "can't" but I do have a hard time believing he "could" if he "wanted" to.  At least in a way that sounds good.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »

Back in the day that wouldn't surprise me at all, but we're not talking about being able to sing consistently at those ranges. More like being able to occasionally belt out a squeal hear and a groan there. I've seen YT videos pointing these things out, but it's usually a "whoooh-hooo" up real high and a "baby" down real low.

Doesn't matter. At this point the dude doesn't even have a 5 note range.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »
And I've got no problem with the picture. The dude looks older than his 64 years, but he's maintaining his style and doesn't look awful. A whole lot of famous people have done worse.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2019, 02:40:28 PM »

Yea, as Barto stated, I would assume those people mean those high squeal things he does. Not actual singing. He's not singing in those ranges, he's basically whistling. I'm not counting that. His actual singing range appears rather limited.

I've watched bits and pieces of youtube clips of him in the past 10 years, and he seems mostly to talk his way through songs with Eddie and whoever's playing bass (Mike or Wolf) doing much of the actual singing singing parts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2019, 02:54:45 PM »
And I've got no problem with the picture. The dude looks older than his 64 years, but he's maintaining his style and doesn't look awful. A whole lot of famous people have done worse.

He looks much better here, I think it's the picture itself that makes him look bad (the other picture, not yours).  Like the angle and the lighting on his face to make him look super old.  And also considering the drug use and the way he lived his life, he does look fine.