Author Topic: Van Halen appreciation thread  (Read 22928 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Van Halen appreciation thread
« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2023, 05:17:27 PM »
I don’t care how VH like it is, VH III is the most musically interesting VH album. It’s great.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2023, 05:18:21 PM »
Every now and then I dust off my copy of Van Halen III and play it, thinking I might have missed something. Every time, the result is the same: it still sucks. The only song worth listening to is Fire in the Hole.
Once and From Afar are also good, IMO, although very un-VH-like. But other than that, the album is tripe.

I disagree. It just needs a real producer to reign Eddie in. Not a friend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2023, 05:21:34 PM »
It's not even that it's un-VH. It just plain sucks straight out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2023, 05:26:26 PM »
Wrong. Eddie was allowed to do what he wanted. It's well known that Eddie works parts but needs guidance to structure a song. He had no one to tell him otherwise.

Do you even Van Halen?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2023, 05:31:03 PM »
III is not un-VH-like.  That is what Van Halen sounded like in 1998.

Also, I don't see Loverboy being the opener as being a good thing on Sammy's tour.  We saw them open for Styx last year, and they sounded older than they looked...and they looked OLD.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2023, 05:32:29 PM »
REO looked good though. It went in progression as good, better, great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2023, 05:33:14 PM »
We didn't stay for REO.  :lol :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2023, 05:35:06 PM »
I saw Loverboy 16 or 17 year ago and they were old then.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2023, 05:38:51 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2023, 06:29:05 AM »
We didn't stay for REO.  :lol :lol

WTF! :lol

The concert was on a Friday night, it was hot, and IIRC my brother and I had both had rough work weeks, so by the time Styx was done, we were both like, "Let's go."  We both like REO, but we were there for Styx, plus the venue was packed, and neither of us wanted to be up till 1 am (that venue can sometimes take an hour to get out of the parking lot when it is that packed).  We both made an old man decision. :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2023, 09:38:55 AM »

Also, I don't see Loverboy being the opener as being a good thing on Sammy's tour.  We saw them open for Styx last year, and they sounded older than they looked...and they looked OLD.

Yeah Loverboy sounded and looked pretty old last summer Loverboy - The Kid Is Hot Tonite LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel NJ 9/3/2023

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2023, 07:30:18 AM »

And even that was a couple years ago.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: December 04, 2023, 09:25:54 AM »

And even that was a couple years ago.

did he wear the red leather pants?  : )
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 12:54:46 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: December 04, 2023, 09:49:43 AM »

Yeah Loverboy sounded and looked pretty old last summer Loverboy - The Kid Is Hot Tonite LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel NJ 9/3/2023

im kinda shocked   they sounded just fine   go figure
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: December 04, 2023, 10:01:09 AM »

They sound live and raw, which I love, but still, sound a bit old to me on vocals.  I also think Sammy sounds pretty old on the vocals too.  Overall, definitely thought they were a solid classic rock opener. My only negative is that I just saw them so I'd rather another band open, but that is no fault of anyone but myself going to so many shows.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2023, 10:07:17 AM »
Loverboy is a great band and a great choice for an opener.  This "new" version of Van Halen is obviously the last version of the band that will play live, so I'm all for it.  Joe Satriani and EVH are my two favorite guitarists of all time, so my interest in this is high.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #261 on: December 04, 2023, 10:16:01 AM »

They sound live and raw, which I love, but still, sound a bit old to me on vocals.  I also think Sammy sounds pretty old on the vocals too.  Overall, definitely thought they were a solid classic rock opener. My only negative is that I just saw them so I'd rather another band open, but that is no fault of anyone but myself going to so many shows.

I never cared for Loverboy even a little bit, so it's unfair for me to comment on them.  But as for Sammy, yeah, he does sound old, but still credibly carries the songs.  At this stage in life, he's kind of like Bruce Dickinson (and, no, I'm not saying he's on Bruce's level) in that, yes, his voice sounds tired and worn at times, and he sounds like an older singer, but still has a ton of energy and power and is able to inject his vocal performances with a level of that energy and power that still sells the songs well, even though they of course don't sound like they did in the '80s. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2023, 12:54:14 PM »

agreed   I was just talking about that RAW sound that is missing often  I saw Aerosmith in Philly and UBS before Tylers injury and they were soooooooo great and so RAW and it was such a great show UBS far better than Philly...  and then I was watching Kiss who ive gone to many times over the years( along with Aerosmith ) and the last shows seemed so piped in and it lost the charm...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: December 04, 2023, 01:44:43 PM »

agreed   I was just talking about that RAW sound that is missing often  I saw Aerosmith in Philly and UBS before Tylers injury and they were soooooooo great and so RAW and it was such a great show UBS far better than Philly...  and then I was watching Kiss who ive gone to many times over the years( along with Aerosmith ) and the last shows seemed so piped in and it lost the charm...

Yeah, Aerosmith in 2022 was really good for me.  Sure, old sounding, what do you expect? But I just love when a band is completely live and you can hear and feel that.  I'll take a struggling live performance any day over backing track perfect sounding show.  (and I don't think anyone was struggling in the examples given here) 

Another older band I saw last year, Jefferson Starship, was incredible.  Sure they sounded old, they are! But they also were pretty damn good and I will give credit to anyone who is over the age of 80 and out there performing well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: December 04, 2023, 04:10:39 PM »
^ Where did you see Jefferson Starship?  I bet that was a good show. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: December 04, 2023, 04:31:40 PM »
^ Where did you see Jefferson Starship?  I bet that was a good show.

They opened for Bret Michaels last summer. Yeah, I enjoyed their opening set.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #266 on: December 05, 2023, 05:40:36 AM »
It's not even that it's un-VH. It just plain sucks straight out.

Yeah, I recall that it is a very rough and jarring listen. I don't like the Hagar era songs or albums, but I don't find the songs completely unlistenable like I do with respect to the tracks on VH3.  I absolutely can't stand Gary's (or Ed's on How Many Say I) singing on the album either.  I have revisited it a few times over the years, but it has only strengthened my initial opinion.  Fortunately, I never purchased this album.

Crazy to think Van Halen only released one studio album after VH3 along with a couple of additional Van Hagar tracks.  I do still enjoy "A Different Kind of Truth," so I'm happy we got something along with a few tours with DLR.  It just could have been so much more.  Then again, maybe that was all this crew was capable of producing post VH3 when you consider how dysfunctional they appeared to be.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #267 on: December 05, 2023, 07:52:40 AM »
I'm not a fan of Gary Cherone's voice to begin with. I respect him and his talent, but he's not the first really good singer to not resonate with me.

ADKOT was surprisingly good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: December 05, 2023, 08:09:18 AM »
Crazy to think Van Halen only released one studio album after VH3 along with a couple of additional Van Hagar tracks.  I do still enjoy "A Different Kind of Truth," so I'm happy we got something along with a few tours with DLR.  It just could have been so much more.  Then again, maybe that was all this crew was capable of producing post VH3 when you consider how dysfunctional they appeared to be.

Considering ADKoT was also a lot of old unreleased songs, you are probably right that they just weren't capable of making VH music anymore for whatever reason.

Yeah, it's solid.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: December 05, 2023, 09:33:04 AM »

Yeah, Aerosmith in 2022 was really good for me.  Sure, old sounding, what do you expect? But I just love when a band is completely live and you can hear and feel that.  I'll take a struggling live performance any day over backing track perfect sounding show.  (and I don't think anyone was struggling in the examples given here) 

Another older band I saw last year, Jefferson Starship, was incredible.  Sure they sounded old, they are! But they also were pretty damn good and I will give credit to anyone who is over the age of 80 and out there performing well.

I agree bro   give me raw and authentic   If I want to hear it sound like the record Ill play the records at home... I want a LIVE show and to see real stars

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #270 on: December 05, 2023, 10:12:55 AM »

I was so happy when it didn't suck and was actually good.  I was very worried going into that release.  Wish they had played a few more of the tracks live, "As Is" is the first one of those that comes to mind.  I still listen to the album fairly often.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: December 05, 2023, 11:02:28 AM »

I was so happy when it didn't suck and was actually good.  I was very worried going into that release.  Wish they had played a few more of the tracks live, "As Is" is the first one of those that comes to mind.  I still listen to the album fairly often.

It was my AOTY in 2012, and my third favorite VH record in our recent poll. 

Offline WardySI

« Reply #272 on: December 05, 2023, 07:37:13 PM »
Agree ADKOT was surprisingly good particularly after first single Tattoo which turned out okay as an album cut but yeah...

Why though is it not available on streaming services?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2023, 06:48:49 AM »
Agree ADKOT was surprisingly good particularly after first single Tattoo which turned out okay as an album cut but yeah...

Wolfie talked about that; I think it's a combination of things, but ultimately falls down to Alex and Dave not seeing eye-to-eye and not LOVING the record in hindsight.   That's what I took from the discussion.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2023, 08:39:15 AM »

Wolfie talked about that; I think it's a combination of things, but ultimately falls down to Alex and Dave not seeing eye-to-eye and not LOVING the record in hindsight.   That's what I took from the discussion.

Thats odd.  It seems pretty well received.  But I understand theres likely a lot of complications between these guys.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2023, 09:04:53 AM »
I would have thought that it's mostly the record company that decides what's on those streaming services.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2023, 09:09:08 AM »
I would have thought that it's mostly the record company that decides what's on those streaming services.
In this case, it's apparently Dave holding things up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2023, 09:32:44 AM »
In this case, it's apparently Dave holding things up.

Probably, but I find it interesting that he has the right(s) to do this. Especially when everything else is on there.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2023, 09:38:52 AM »
It took awhile to warm up to the "Tattoo" song.  But after that track, ADKOT was pretty kick ass.  Not sure how many songs were from the 70's, but it was a much better album than I expected.  Haven't played it in quite some time though.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2023, 09:50:45 AM »
Tattoo is probably the worst song, but it's still solid. But when I heard the solo back then, I thought, yeah, Eddie's stil got it.  :metal

The rest of that record is really really good, much better than I expected. And it still holds up for me, just spun it recently.