Author Topic: Van Halen appreciation thread  (Read 22911 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Van Halen appreciation thread
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2023, 05:03:39 PM »
Seeing Wolfie live tonight.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2023, 05:33:37 PM »
Try and stay awake.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2023, 12:04:57 PM »
Try and stay awake.

I'm a fan of Mammoth WVH, but his opening set for Metallica last week kind of got lost upon the crowd.  Performing before Pantera and Metallica just didn't seem to be the right spot for him.  I enjoyed it, but didn't seem like the few that were there to see it were into it (well its a stadium so even though it looked empty for his set, Im sure there were still more than if they did a headline set).

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2023, 07:28:05 PM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2023, 08:25:24 PM »
Try and stay awake.

I'm a fan of Mammoth WVH, but his opening set for Metallica last week kind of got lost upon the crowd.  Performing before Pantera and Metallica just didn't seem to be the right spot for him.  I enjoyed it, but didn't seem like the few that were there to see it were into it (well its a stadium so even though it looked empty for his set, Im sure there were still more than if they did a headline set).

I saw Mammoth WVH, three times, this year playing main support for Alter Bridge and I and everyone in the crowd in those shows really liked them.  This might sound arrogant, but I feel like them playing support to a band like Alter Bridge or Sevendust in theaters and music halls is going to do a lot more long-term in gaining more fans than opening for a Metallica, GNR, or Pantera kind of band in stadiums.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2023, 01:50:53 AM »
Try and stay awake.

I saw Mammoth WVH, three times, this year playing main support for Alter Bridge and I and everyone in the crowd in those shows really liked them.  This might sound arrogant, but I feel like them playing support to a band like Alter Bridge or Sevendust in theaters and music halls is going to do a lot more long-term in gaining more fans than opening for a Metallica, GNR, or Pantera kind of band in stadiums.

Maybe, I do think their sound more closly aligns with Alter Bridge than Metallica.  Mammoth has their headlining tour coming up this fall and they are playing the same venue they coheadlined wtih Dirty Honey last year so it'll be interesting to see if they draw more people this time around. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2023, 06:11:10 AM »
VH  DONNINGTON  1984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6U5Cv7YJ0M&t=1060s

I saw this on youtube. This is tremendous footage.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2023, 07:11:40 AM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2023, 08:18:38 AM »
...aaaaand it's gone.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2023, 08:50:57 AM »
...aaaaand it's gone.

Damn, that's unfortunate.  I watched some the other day and it was awesome but I didnt have time to actually pay attention and watch it all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2023, 08:56:17 AM »
I watched a different link this morning. I can’t link it now.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2023, 09:57:44 AM »
It reinforced  how I always found them a kinda awkward goofy live act.  I know Im in the minority on that

Im sure someone will again try to post that whole show

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2023, 10:01:31 AM »
RWTD   this will give ya feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93jXGZrsc6Y

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2023, 10:04:53 AM »
It reinforced  how I always found them a kinda awkward goofy live act.  I know Im in the minority on that

The one thing I did watch (since a comment linked a timestamp to it) was Dave moonwalking.  Definitely a bit of a goofy act.  But, for me at least, a good goofy in a fun way, but it can be over the top and even just watching it now, there's definitely some cringe due to aging. I bet it was awesome if you saw it live though.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2023, 10:12:44 AM »

The one thing I did watch (since a comment linked a timestamp to it) was Dave moonwalking.  Definitely a bit of a goofy act.  But, for me at least, a good goofy in a fun way, but it can be over the top and even just watching it now, there's definitely some cringe due to aging. I bet it was awesome if you saw it live though.

well it was a ton fun and amazing childhood memories and it was just crazy times...but  much like Aerosmith back then they were to me a sloppy act.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2023, 10:16:40 AM »

well it was a ton fun and amazing childhood memories and it was just crazy times...but  much like Aerosmith back then they were to me a sloppy act.

Dave always has seemed sloppy and I guess the drugs/alcohol played a role with the rest of the band? 

As much as I enjoyed the 2008 show with Sammy, when I rewatch the video on youtube it's a train wreck of a performance. I have an old bootleg DVD that was also a pretty sloppy performance.  Some of it I don't mind though, if I'm entertained that is.

Online HOF

« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2023, 10:20:16 AM »
The link in this article still works for me:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/van-halen-donington-1984-video

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2023, 10:20:39 AM »

Dave always has seemed sloppy and I guess the drugs/alcohol played a role with the rest of the band? 

As much as I enjoyed the 2008 show with Sammy, when I rewatch the video on youtube it's a train wreck of a performance. I have an old bootleg DVD that was also a pretty sloppy performance.  Some of it I don't mind though, if I'm entertained that is.

agreed   fun shows  good times...

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2023, 12:12:55 PM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2023, 11:56:49 AM »
Holy shit, I'm watching the Donnington footage today. Man, what a gift this is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2023, 07:43:37 AM »
I think it's gone now.... ;(

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2023, 07:47:37 AM »
I think it's gone now.... ;(

Yeah, I looked and looked last night, and it definitely go pulled. Bummer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2023, 07:41:24 PM »
I know there's a lot of bootlegs out there, but here's the Buffalo show from the MOR '88 tour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XElOHOzK9L8

Such a great live band.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2023, 01:45:00 AM »
Today is October 6, it's three years since EVH passing.
I'll never forget when someone at work msg me with the news and I was numb with sadness.

Today is also the release of the VH Collection II box set of the remastered Hagar era albums.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #199 on: November 17, 2023, 08:05:29 PM »
how about this Sammy Hagar « best of all worlds » tour with Satriani, Anthony and Bonham?  Apparently they’re going deep into the Van Halen catalog on this one wich is why Sammy brought Satch aboard. 

Online HOF

« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2023, 08:12:01 PM »
how about this Sammy Hagar « best of all worlds » tour with Satriani, Anthony and Bonham?  Apparently they’re going deep into the Van Halen catalog on this one wich is why Sammy brought Satch aboard.

Saw that. Might be interesting. Kind of shocked me to see that Sammy is 76. My dad is 75, and it’s hard to imagine anybody touring and playing a high energy concert at his age!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2023, 08:22:50 PM »
I think it's cool that he's doing it, but his voice has definitely changed over the last 20 years and I don't know if I'd want to see him sing some of the songs that they're advertising on the poster, even though he has continued to play many of them since then.  I think I'm happy knowing I saw VH in 2004 and Sammy in 05 and 07, when he was younger. 

Michael Anthony will sing the DLR-era songs that they play - he's done that before with his Mad Anthony Express band.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2023, 02:41:44 AM »
https://youtu.be/HGLcU81H8o4?si=mjsuFRQ8zwsGFJnW
The band performance on Howard  Stern. There are another more 4 or 5 songs. Really good!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2023, 05:15:03 AM »
I considered getting tickets for that, which went on sale this week for the show here, but didn't pull the trigger.  I know you have to go in knowing that it's not Van Halen, but I saw the clips on Stern and while Satriani is obviously excellent, it just sounded weird hearing those songs with a guitarist who is clearly not Eddie Van Halen.  And I don't buy the "we are going deep into the VH catalogue" line; I'll believe that when I see it (or read about it :lol).  It probably means they will play a couple of deep cuts and then the rest will all be standards plus a handful of Sammy solo songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2023, 07:57:34 AM »
I love that they are doing this.  I am going to try to get to a show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2023, 11:54:46 AM »
maybe they’ll throw in a few chickenfoot songs too

Offline DTA

« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2023, 11:06:20 AM »
I’m the most casual of VH fans but since 5150 is my favorite of theirs, I think I might actually check this out.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2023, 10:21:29 AM »
Bummed there is not a Philly show. I would definitely see this.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2023, 10:48:09 AM »
and I’m really hoping for more canadian dates than just Toronto.  Montreal or Quebec city would be great. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2023, 12:02:45 PM »
https://youtu.be/HGLcU81H8o4?si=mjsuFRQ8zwsGFJnW
The band performance on Howard  Stern. There are another more 4 or 5 songs. Really good!

It is good.  Jason is really starting to look like his dad; maybe it's the beard.   Sam is still great, but you can hear a bit the age in his voice.  Not a bad thing, just an observation.