Author Topic: Van Halen appreciation thread  (Read 22917 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Van Halen appreciation thread
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2021, 08:07:38 PM »
Hard to believe it has been a year. RIP EVH

I will have to crank some Light Up the Sky on the way home here in a bit.  :metal :metal

Or A Year To The Day.

:lol  No. :P

Fine, I’ll do it!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2021, 08:27:52 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like III more than most even though it is still 11th on my list of favorite VH albums (ahead of only Diver Down), but going for something from that for a tribute to EVH on an anniversary would be like celebrating a DT anniversary by turning on You Not Me or Constant Motion. :lol :P  You go for the good stuff, not the bottom tier.  :tup :tup

Offline HOF

« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2021, 08:34:59 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like III more than most even though it is still 11th on my list of favorite VH albums (ahead of only Diver Down), but going for something from that for a tribute to EVH on an anniversary would be like celebrating a DT anniversary by turning on You Not Me or Constant Motion. :lol :P  You go for the good stuff, not the bottom tier.  :tup :tup

Nah, III is the good stuff!

But for good measure I listened to Light Up The Sky too. :-)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 09:01:30 PM by HOF »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2021, 06:08:21 AM »

Nah, III is the good stuff!

But for good measure I listened to Light Up The Sky too. :-)

Listen to Fair Warning and OU812 as well, and you are on the right track.  :hat :hat

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2022, 05:01:56 PM »
Doing some get ahead stuff on my Queen discography, and came across these pics last night

Brian May, Tony Iommi, and Eddie in 1978. Van Halen opened for Black Sabbath in Munich

And this one years later

I know Brian and Tony have appeared on stage together.  Eddie played guitar with Brian on an EP in '83. 

Tony and Eddie ever join forces?

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2022, 05:10:19 PM »
Doing some get ahead stuff on my Queen discography, and came across these pics last night

Brian May, Tony Iommi, and Eddie in 1978. Van Halen opened for Black Sabbath in Munich

And this one years later

I know Brian and Tony have appeared on stage together.  Eddie played guitar with Brian on an EP in '83. 

Tony and Eddie ever join forces?

Eddie wrote this riff and played on the album, but wasn't credited: https://youtu.be/FsISkgC9ndE

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2022, 08:26:18 AM »
Thank you.

And thanks for the link.  Good tune. :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2022, 01:37:20 PM »
https://blabbermouth.net/news/van-halens-lost-singer-mitch-malloy-celebrates-eddie-van-halens-musical-legacy-unchained-multi-camera-video

Gotta wonder "what if....?"

What if they would've continued with Mitch after the "reunion" appearance with DLR in 1996?

What if they would've discovered Mitch after DLR left in 1985 and he replaced DLR instead of Sammy? The guy is clearly in better shape than DLR and could do the material justice. Would VH have continued in a similar vein to what they had with DLR or would they still have gone the more "mature" route that they ended up going in with Sammy? We'll never know but it's an interesting thing to speculate about!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2022, 07:15:34 PM »
https://blabbermouth.net/news/van-halens-lost-singer-mitch-malloy-celebrates-eddie-van-halens-musical-legacy-unchained-multi-camera-video

Gotta wonder "what if....?"

What if they would've continued with Mitch after the "reunion" appearance with DLR in 1996?

What if they would've discovered Mitch after DLR left in 1985 and he replaced DLR instead of Sammy? The guy is clearly in better shape than DLR and could do the material justice. Would VH have continued in a similar vein to what they had with DLR or would they still have gone the more "mature" route that they ended up going in with Sammy? We'll never know but it's an interesting thing to speculate about!

He was a much better fit than Cherone, no doubt about it. But what ruined the band at the time was Eddie's continuing alcoholism, and the musical direction he chose to take on VH III. That was an Eddie Van Halen solo project, much more so than a band effort, and the end result is not that great.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2022, 07:25:07 PM »
So... Mitch Malloy replaced some dude in Great White, and then was replaced by Andrew Freeman. What happened to Jack Russel?

The whole thing sounds pathetic. So now he's in a VH tribute band? That's worse.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2022, 02:13:14 AM »
So... Mitch Malloy replaced some dude in Great White, and then was replaced by Andrew Freeman. What happened to Jack Russel?

The whole thing sounds pathetic. So now he's in a VH tribute band? That's worse.

Since he left the band, Jack has been touring as "Jack Russell's Great White". I know, lame.

Mitch recorded Panama with Van Halen, and one more song which would become "That's Why I Love You". This was done for VH III but was cut in the last minute.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2022, 06:33:41 AM »

I saw Andrew Freeman front Last In Line; he's good.  But I'm a Jack Russell guy (vocally).  As a person he's a mess and a half, but my god can that man sing. 

But yes, the whole "Great White" saga is pretty pathetic.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2022, 09:58:46 AM »

Mark Kendall talks about it a bit https://blabbermouth.net/news/great-whites-mark-kendall-says-reuniting-with-jack-russell-was-never-a-consideration-for-us-to-go-back-to-that-it-just-feels-dark After what they've done with Terry Illous and now Mitch Malloy, I'm inclined to think it's more than just "Jack is in bad shape and we don't want to revisit that..."

I've seen some videos of Russel lately and he is bad physical shape, but his voice is definitely still there. Sad.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2023, 11:32:44 AM »
As I see it, the only "real" rarity is Crossing Over. And even that was released before.

And I wonder if they were able to make the bass on OU812 more audible. That record is the only one that had some issues with the sound in it's original form imo.

But even if they did, that's is not enough for me to buy the whole thing.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline devieira73

« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2023, 12:45:05 PM »
Well, I think all Hagar songs on Best of Vol.1 and The Best of Both Worlds really improved a lot - so I'm very happy with the remaster of all the albums. But I also think that the final solution for OU812 would be remix it, no doubt.
Interesting that a bit after the release of Balance, I bought a second hand japanese edition for a nice price, that has Crossing Over, so, in my very especific case, also it's not much of a rarity for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2023, 12:47:13 PM »
As I see it, the only "real" rarity is Crossing Over. And even that was released before.

And I wonder if they were able to make the bass on OU812 more audible. That record is the only one that had some issues with the sound in it's original form imo.

It'd be kind of nice to have all of those on one CD, but honestly, I have all that.   And it's kind of... I don't know, cheating to say that A Apolitical Blues and Baluchitherium are "rarities"; I have those both on the original CD releases.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2023, 12:54:16 PM »
Exactly. My guess is that they went with what had been the original vinyl running orders. I have them all too btw, including those on the Twister soundtrack.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2023, 12:55:29 PM »
I never knew that they were left off of the vinyl. A Apolitical Blues sure has the feel of a bonus song, but not a rarity and Baluchiterium for me was always a regular album song.

And those three songs from Best Of Both Worlds aren't exactly rare either. I bet that a lot of people who bought that compilation did it mainly, because they wanted to hear those songs (me included). Not that they were really great.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2023, 12:57:10 PM »

It'd be kind of nice to have all of those on one CD, but honestly, I have all that.   And it's kind of... I don't know, cheating to say that A Apolitical Blues and Baluchitherium are "rarities"; I have those both on the original CD releases.

Yeah, I was thinking that to myself as well  :lol

I can't say I care for the release, but for those who want these, that's great.  I'm a big Van Hagar fan so releasing this is good for folks like myself.  I don't think I've ever heard Crossing Over though.  I also already have the Best of Both worlds CD.  (for the reason Kwyjibo stated).

Offline devieira73

« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2023, 01:30:22 PM »

I also thought including those 2 songs as rarities very forced.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2023, 01:51:33 PM »
The vinyl box set are all single LP records, OU812, FUCK and Balance are all over 50 mins, thus too many grooves and lower quality.
Kind of defeats the remastering for 'better' sound by squashing the music on to two sides of vinyl.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2023, 02:06:19 PM »
I must say that Respect The Wind is a really beautiful and great instrumental. Good to see it included here.

There's rumours that Eddie left behind a shitload of tapes with ideas, licks, riffs, whatever, that he recorded in his studio over the years. I always imagine, that some instrumental pieces, like the above mentioned, could be on there and if someone would dig through those tapes and release some of the more worked out ideas, that would get my blood pumping.

But maybe it's all just rough sketches and some noodling, that isnt that interesting.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2023, 02:11:11 PM »
I must say that Respect The Wind is a really beautiful and great instrumental. Good to see it included here.

There's rumours that Eddie left behind a shitload of tapes with ideas, licks, riffs, whatever, that he recorded in his studio over the years. I always imagine, that some instrumental pieces, like the above mentioned, could be on there and if someone would dig through those tapes and release some of the more worked out ideas, that would get my blood pumping.

But maybe it's all just rough sketches and some noodling, that isnt that interesting.

I'd love if Wolfie did something like that, but he seems to want to carve his own path and not rely on his father's work.  Maybe one day that changes.  I just have to think the people who have access to these would be limited meaning someone like Wolfie would be the only one who could do such a thing. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2023, 02:46:45 PM »
At one point, he even made an announcement where he pretty much blasted the fan community for treating him as if it was his duty to release that material. He was really upset because he feels like he doesn’t “owe” the fans anything, and he was pretty sick of the entitled attitude.

I’m sure he might cool his jets and decide something sees the light of day at some point, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2023, 02:55:28 PM »
I think Wolfie was recently quoted as saying his dad released everything he wanted to release while he was alive so there may not be anything else coming. He did make it sound like it was more up to Alex than him as far as what gets released under the VH name though.

Here is the quote:

AllMusic: Are there any updates as to if/when you may be going through your father's vault of unreleased music?

Van Halen: "As far as that, Al is certainly the decision maker in that process. I'm just kind of there to help him decide and help what he wants to go through – as sort of being the person in place of my father, in his absence. But when it comes to that, I know my dad was vocal of that in the past, he released everything he wanted to release. So, when it comes to stuff that hit the cutting room floor, that would certainly have to be a serious conversation to have – if anything is actually worth releasing. So, we'll just have to see. I certainly wouldn't hold your breath."

https://bravewords.com/news/wolfgang-van-halen-on-opening-up-eddie-van-halen-s-vault-of-unreleased-music-i-know-my-dad-was-vocal-of-that-in-the-past-he-released-everything-he-wanted-to-release#

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2023, 11:47:30 AM »
That box kinda seems like a ripoff to me. When I bought the Van Hagar albums on CD, I got them at Wal Mart for $5 each, pretty sure those are still in print and if not they are easily found at a used CD store. Same with the "rarities." That Best of Both Worlds is still easy to find and if you really want Humans Being on CD I'm sure you can find the Twister soundtrack no problem. Also songs from the main albums as they were released on CD and are currently available on streaming do not qualify as rarities.  :lol

Crossing Over is probably the only thing that would be challenging to find. If nothing else, this just kinda shows how dry the well is for archival Van Halen stuff. I guess they could at least include some unreleased live tapes or something with this. $50 is pretty silly for what is primarily bargain bin albums though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2023, 04:02:59 PM »
Count me in the group that thinks these are a silly money-grab.

It's cool that some of these records are being reissued on vinyl. I've been waiting for For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge on vinyl for years. But guess I'll have to wait until they eventually release them all individually. I'm sure it'll be a bit down the line.

But these rarities are not..."rarities" for all the reasons already stated by many of you above. Even "Crossing Over," I nabbed that CD single a few years back at the local record store for cheap. It's cool that they are going on vinyl (but I did note that one of the Sammy 2004 tracks is not on the vinyl - so watch that), but all this is, is a money-grab that the label is doing because Wolfgang is starting to really make a name for himself. When he played the old VH stuff at the Taylor Hawkins tribute, it set off a firestorm. And the label is cashing in.

I'll pass, and continue patiently waiting for For Unlawful on vinyl...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2023, 01:14:47 AM »
Agree to some degree but don't think the entire idea of reissues / remasters is purely a money grab, fans of the Hagar era have been complaining and asking for these for years. 

What I do think is a money grab is only releasing them as a box set which obviously returns a big chunk of coin from the outset but unfair for fans that can't afford to buy them like that or only need one or two records to complete their original collections...

Personally on the fence as am also only needing a couple these and agree these rarities are far from being rare.

All that said would happily just settle for remastered 5150 and OU812 CDs as those I've been waiting on for a long time.  Hopefully they sound improved \m/

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2023, 05:16:27 AM »
I have all VH records, I had them on vinyl, then bought them on cd. The only one I would maybe buy again is OU812 when the remix/remaster is a vast improvement in sound, but even then it has to be at a reasonable price.

No use for a boxset at all.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2023, 08:11:27 AM »
Do you know if this box set has only the covers and CDs? From the pictures, it seems like that it won't have any booklet of the albums.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 11:39:32 AM by devieira73 »

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2023, 05:30:33 AM »
The Roth box is about £16 now. When the price of the Hagar box drops below about £25 I’ll get this.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2023, 07:24:05 AM »
The Roth Box set has booklets?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 11:40:35 AM by devieira73 »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2023, 04:33:15 PM »
No the Roth set is cardboard sleeve only, no booklet.
Most of these type of box sets that I have are all the same no booklets and minimal bare bones packaging.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2023, 04:43:30 PM »
Thanks! So I guess the Hagar set will be the same way.