Author Topic: Van Halen appreciation thread  (Read 22722 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Van Halen appreciation thread
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »
Roth looks a lot better than some of these other older rockers who dye their hair jet black. Just makes 'em look older.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »
Roth's range is said to be five octaves

:rollin  "Said" by who?

Yea, as Barto stated, I would assume those people mean those high squeal things he does. Not actual singing. He's not singing in those ranges, he's basically whistling. I'm not counting that. His actual singing range appears rather limited.

Oh, okay.  Yeah, if that's what people are talking about, I can understand the mistake.  But he's never had anywhere close to an actual 5 octave range.  That isn't to say he was a bad singer.  But yeah, nowhere near what was claimed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »
Roth's range is said to be five octaves

:rollin  "Said" by who?

Yea, as Barto stated, I would assume those people mean those high squeal things he does. Not actual singing. He's not singing in those ranges, he's basically whistling. I'm not counting that. His actual singing range appears rather limited.

Oh, okay.  Yeah, if that's what people are talking about, I can understand the mistake.  But he's never had anywhere close to an actual 5 octave range.  That isn't to say he was a bad singer.  But yeah, nowhere near what was claimed.
I think it's fair to say he could sing things in five octaves, and as I understand it some of those squeal things were from a proper head voice, but that doesn't make him a five octave singer. He wasn't.

He looks much better here, I think it's the picture itself that makes him look bad (the other picture, not yours).  Like the angle and the lighting on his face to make him look super old.  And also considering the drug use and the way he lived his life, he does look fine.
I think the first picture of Roth looking ancient was intentional on his part. I think he was going for a serious kind of thing. And the wardrobe suits his style well. It's exactly what an elderly DLR should look like.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2019, 03:56:34 PM »
Yea, the wardrobe had no part in my thoughts of him looking old though, that just seems like something DLR would wear.  His face looks rough in that pic though.  I think it's part lighting and part angle and part really just being old.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
Yep, I think Anthony would definitely do it, simply for the sake of the band's legacy and giving the fans what they want (and the paycheck of course).  I don't think the brothers or DLR give a damn about the band's legacy.

Agreed about the fans but not sure what the "legacy" has to do with it.   I said Anthony WOULD do it, but I'm not in agreement that somehow the brothers or Dave SHOULD do it.  I like the Wolfie Van Halen, frankly, and am not on the "if it doesn't have Mike it's not legit" bandwagon at all.   

Legacy in the sense that Michael Anthony probably knows many VH fans want to see a reunion tour of the original lineup and would do the tour for that reason.  It would be a good way to end his tenure with the band as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »
I love Dave. 

This is a good interview (albeit dated now):
https://youtu.be/PFWYiUEaa3c

Here's the vocal thing; not suggesting he's Freddie Mercury by any stretch, but it's still interesting.
https://youtu.be/5lPdr7baBjI

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
So... I was out shopping and as usual took a quick minute to glance at the upper layer of CDs in Walmart's bargain bin. Found Van Halen 1, 2, and 1984 each for $5 so I snagged them. I know most of 1 and 1984 but 2 is the most unfamiliar.

1 and 1984 both went 10x platinum and 2 went 5x. Crazy.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »
Van Halen II has some great tunes!

Light Up The Sky
Outta Love Again
DOA
Bottoms Up!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »
Bottoms Up came on my random shuffle on my drive home the other night, such a fun awesome song that I hadn't heard in awhile  :yarr

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »
I am still not sure why it took II so long to really grab me, but it is definitely pretty great.  Light Up the Sky is so good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2019, 07:52:16 PM »
Light Up the Sky is so good.

Top 5 VH tune right there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2019, 09:08:36 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
This is petty, but VHII always takes a back seat for "You're No Good".  I generally like the VH covers - Diver Down is one of my favorite VH records - but that song is a sort of ruins the mood for me. Which is a shame, because side two of that record (most of my listening to that was on vinyl, Side A, Side B!) is all killer.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2019, 05:43:56 PM »
I get that.  You're No Good is a decent cover, but it was a very strange choice to be the first song on side 1 of their second album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
https://eddietrunk.com/david-lee-roth-says-he-is-the-face-of-van-halen-from-this-point-on/

This isn't the only source for what I'm about to say (Eddie Trunk has alluded to rumors that he heard from a credible source that the summer stadium tour with Michael Anthony was postponed due to "illness", and there was a post earlier this year with a picture of Eddie that seemed to indicate he had no hair, one sign of chemotherapy) but I think we're not long for bad news in the Van Halen camp.  I hope and pray that that's not the case, but Van Halen is not that different than AC/DC in this regard, and certainly with AC/DC, no news is not always good news. 

Roth is a weird guy, but he's no dummy, and I think even he has lines he won't cross.  I think he's telling us a lot here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »
Yikes, yeah it does look like Eddie is going under treatment.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online frogprog

« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2020, 06:00:44 AM »
Haha... "Operation Diamondcutter"

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2021, 11:42:16 AM »
I listened to Van Halen II again today. I dig every track except Outta Love Again. Main reason why I dislike that song are vocal melodies that I find to be really terrible, esp. a very dumb chorus.
Light Up the Sky is probably my favorite tune on VH II.

What are your thoughts on VH II? What's your favorite and least favorite track?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2021, 03:08:26 PM »
The first six Van Halen albums are my definition of hard rock.  VH2 is a beast of an album and has some of Van Halen's heaviest tracks.  Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Outta Love Again, Light up the Sky are all kick ass.  I can see You're No Good having some mixed reactions, but I really like it.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2021, 03:22:53 PM »
I'm not too keen on Woman In Love beyond the intro so I'd call that the least good song on VHII. Everything else is stellar.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2021, 01:46:46 PM »
https://eddietrunk.com/david-lee-roth-announces-his-retirement-says-my-las-vegas-residencyare-my-last-five-shows/

I can't really make heads nor tails of what he's saying most of the time, but this is bad even for him.   Lot of vague hints and innuendos that don't make a lot of sense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2021, 01:49:44 PM »
I meant to post about that earlier.

The way he talks, it sounds like he doesn't have a lot of time left.   It is rare to hear Roth be that candid, so I suspect he is staring his mortality in the face.  Granted, his voice was shot in the live environment many years ago and the expiration date for his on stage shtick was too far back now to even remember the date, but he's still a living legend in the rock world.  Say what you want about David Lee Roth, but the man at his peak knew how to entertain fans and had an absolute blast in doing it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2021, 04:00:54 PM »
I've honestly been thinking about this a lot since I read that.  For all Dave's schtick, he's exceedingly positive, and that wasn't that.  I hope something isn't wrong with him.   I'm a huge fan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2021, 10:05:23 PM »
I've honestly been thinking about this a lot since I read that.  For all Dave's schtick, he's exceedingly positive, and that wasn't that.  I hope something isn't wrong with him.   I'm a huge fan.

Considering how physically active he was on stage for a long time with all of those kicks and jumping and whatnot, I'd be surprised if he is not currently dealing with some major back/hip issues.  You can only abuse your body for so long before it gives you a receipt.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2021, 04:31:45 AM »
That "... my time is probably even shorter ..." line could be just a casual remark or he is not telling us something.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2021, 07:32:48 AM »

Usually, I can’t decipher wtf he’s talking about, but that sounds pretty clear for Dave. 😞

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2021, 02:08:38 PM »
That "... my time is probably even shorter ..." line could be just a casual remark or he is not telling us something.

I think his tone on those 6 minutes of audio is quite gloomy, unlike anything we've heard from him since 1978. I'm worried that his days are actually numbered, and that what he said is not a figure of speech.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2021, 10:11:06 AM »
I am starting to wonder if there's some impact of what Gene Simmons said about him as well.

Online frogprog

« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2021, 11:42:35 AM »
Hard to believe it has been a year. RIP EVH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »

I will have to crank some Light Up the Sky on the way home here in a bit.  :metal :metal

Offline HOF

« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2021, 05:00:25 PM »

I will have to crank some Light Up the Sky on the way home here in a bit.  :metal :metal

Or A Year To The Day.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2021, 05:02:28 PM »

I literally listened to Light Up The Sky two days ago. Top 5 VH tune for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2021, 05:50:03 PM »

Same here.  :metal

Or A Year To The Day.

:lol  No. :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2021, 05:54:14 PM »

Up there for me too - got many more plays from me than any other song on VH2

www.theguitardojo.com.au