The Haken thread v. Restoration

Started by ariich, June 04, 2009, 10:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onno

Quote from: Orthogonal on August 16, 2013, 10:29:13 AM
Must... resist... samples...
I'm resisting them too. I'd rather wait for the album.

senecadawg2

Resist all you want, they are fantastic!

krands85

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

BlackInk

I know there aren't enough material in the snippets to make any solid predictions, so I'll just make one anyways. I think Somebody will be my favorite track.

Dr. DTVT

Quote from: BlackInk on August 16, 2013, 12:57:15 PM
I know there aren't enough material in the snippets to make any solid predictions, so I'll just make one anyways. I think Somebody will be my favorite track.

Then get the special edition, you'll like Nobody even more.

BlackInk

Orthogonal

Amazon better update their listing, there's no way to tell if it's standard or special edition. I will cancel at the last minute if I'm not sure and find the special edition elsewhere if necessary.

me7

Ragrding the bonus tracks: does the album have some proper closure track (like the previous two albums had)? Do the bonus tracks ruin the finale, like on Leprous' album Coal? Or is it like Symphony X' Iconoclast where the special edition is the proper album as intended by the band and the regular edition is just a botch job by the record company?

Dr. DTVT

To be honest, I didn't realize that the last two tracks were bonus tracks until I wrote my review.  They fit seamlessly into the rest of the album, so I wouldn't worry about it being a tack on, and Iconoclast is the only album I know of that is a butcher job of a proper album.

HarlequinForest

Lucidity

Heretic

BlackInk

Nick

Quote from: BlackInk on August 18, 2013, 01:05:58 AM
Quote from: HarlequinForest on August 17, 2013, 07:26:20 PM
Pareidolia >>>>>> Atlas Stone

Absolutely this all the way.

When I first heard the tracks I felt this way, but now it's simply: Pareidolia > Atlas Stone

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Quote from: Nick on August 18, 2013, 08:58:55 PM
Quote from: BlackInk on August 18, 2013, 01:05:58 AM
Quote from: HarlequinForest on August 17, 2013, 07:26:20 PM
Pareidolia >>>>>> Atlas Stone

Absolutely this all the way.

When I first heard the tracks I felt this way, but now it's simply: Pareidolia > Atlas Stone
Wait a minute.....

Liampie

The iTunes samples sound promising. Cockroach King might already be my favourite track... So weird and awesome!

Haken! :hefdaddy

Elite

Quote from: me7 on August 17, 2013, 03:19:16 AM
Do the bonus tracks ruin the finale, like on Leprous' album Coal

Uh, what? Bury is awesome.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

BlackInk

Question for the reviewer: Are there any 8-strings on this album? Maybe there is on Atlas Stone or Pareidolia but I don't really notice those things.

Onno

Quote from: Elite on August 19, 2013, 01:13:25 PM

I didn't even know there was a special edition, so I got the normal one :( (Well, for Leprous, that is)

me7

The quality of "Bury" doesn't matter. "Contaminate me" closes the album. There can be no tracks after it. It's like Haken's "Celestial Elixir" and "Visions".

Elite

Quote from: me7 on August 19, 2013, 03:40:05 PM

The quality of "Bury" doesn't matter. "Contaminate me" closes the album. There can be no tracks after it. It's like Haken's "Celestial Elixir" and "Visions".

Apparently there can be. Bury closes the album I have and I love it that way.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Syzzle

I just got done listening to the new album, and this might just be their best album yet. It's definitely the album of the year.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Quote from: Syzzle on August 26, 2013, 01:53:39 AM
I just got done listening to the new album, and this might just be their best album yet. It's definitely the album of the year.
If I may ask, how did you get hold of the album so early?

BlackInk

I'd just wait until it's actually released guys..

Nekov

Technically as long as no-one says where they got it everything's cool.

2b. With regard to "leaked" material, you are not allowed to discuss the leaking or sharing of an album by any artist, or that an album has leaked.  In addition to the above, with regard to Dream Theater and side-projects by the members of Dream Theater, you may not discuss the leaked material whatsoever.  For other bands, you can in most cases discuss the content of the leaked material as long as you do not reference the leak, where you obtained the material, or sharing the leaked material.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Just to clarify, I was not assuming he got a leaked version or anything like that. For all I know he could be a music journalist or something. So no need to jump to conclusion.

me7

The album will be released on the 30.08. in some European countries. Some preorders could already be sent out. Let's just say that he got his preorder early.

Anyway: Because it's there :'( (tears of joy)

Heretic

Yeah, easily Haken's best album. Absolutely beautiful in every regard.

Lolzeez

Imho,this isn't as good as the previous two. BUT,It's almost as good as Aquarius.

GasparXR

I really can't wait for my copy to arrive so I can listen. :( I hope there's an online stream of the album at some point before release.

ariich

This album is blowing me away so far. In ways it's much heavier than what they've done before, but also more delicate and beautiful as well. It's amazing to see the music maturing so much and so quickly!

Can't wait for my copy to arrive next week, it's not often I get excited about all the artwork, lyrics etc. but this is easily my album of the year so far.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the bonus tracks, other than the fact that they're really nice of course, but I'm not sure they both add much. I think I've decided now that my definitive version of the album is to keep The Path Unbeaten as a closer, because the orchestral arrangement is really nice, and rounds off the album in the same way it started. Whereas Nobody is basically just an acoustic version of the song that closes the main album. So I think I might just treat Nobody as a b-side separate from the album.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Liampie

Lots to love about this album. The Path and Atlas Stone are a good combo, and if you listen to Atlas Stone using proper headphones you'll immediately notice how great this album sounds. The production is perfect. Cockroach King is a lovely song, I especially love the weird first two minutes. That's ace. Another highlight on the album for me is Somebody's outro. I didn't know Hans Zimmer collaborated on this album, which was a pleasant surprise. So epic.

I'm not feeling Because It's There and As Death Embraces yet, which keeps me from putting this album in the same league as Aquarius and Visions. But time will tell, anything can happen! It's definitely a 8+ album. The first this year.

ariich

Interesting you say that, as I find Because It's There to be absolutely stunning. The intensity of In Memoriam followed by the beauty of Because It's There just works so well, probably Haken's best short songs in my opinion.

As Death Embraces didn't do much for me at first, but after a few listens it's growing on me, definitely a nice interlude.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Dimitrius

Zydar