Author Topic: **UPDATED: PLEASE READ -- Forum Announcement re Mike Portnoy Discussion**  (Read 6435 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING:

All insults, bashing, attacking, etc. of Mike Portnoy, Dream Theater, whoever the hypothetical new drummer turns out to be, and/or any other member of the Dream Theater community is to cease immediately. Continued violations will result in immediate bannings without warning and, if that does not solve the problem, permanent shutting down and deletion of DTF.org.

This is not to stifle or shut down discussion about Mike leaving DT, Mike's reactions to things, and forum members' reactions to Mike's recent behavior.  But bottom line is this:  Bashing of both former and current members of DT is prohibited on this site.  Whatever you have to say, go ahead and say it, but keep your posts respectful.  This will NOT turn into an MP bash-fest, DT vs. MP, or DTF vs. MP.com.  

The feeling that Mike has been overreacting to a lot of things is perfectly understandable.  But to take that further and start namecalling crosses the line.  Again, feel free to post your thoughts, but keep it respectful.  If you aren't sure how to speak out and express disapproval without namecalling, do a quick search of robwebster's posts.  I would consider them to pretty much be the model for how to do it right.  

The vast majority of posts I have seen are fine.  This is more of a reminder than anything else because I have seen a minority of posts that have crossed the line.  Again, this is not to shut down the discussion, but to make sure the discusison continues in a way that is respectful.  Whether or not anyone things Mike Portnoy deserves respect is irrelevant.  Discussion needs to be respectful and needs to not violate forum rules.  Thanks.

I will reopen the thread in a couple of hours after I have some dinner and people have had a chance to read this.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:55:21 PM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: **PLEASE READ -- Forum Announcement re Mike Portnoy Discussion**
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »
Once again, I unfortunately feel the need to add to this thread because, once again, a small number of posts have either crossed the line or are so intentionally close to the line they may as well have crossed the line.  I will be brief and make this as clear as I can:  Criticism, provided it is construtive, of the may MP is handline the present situation, or any other matter relating to DT's past and current members, is fine.  But if it is expressed in a way that is disrespectful, that is not fine.  For example, "Mike is acting like a ten-year-old," "Mike is an attention whore," and "LOLMikePortnoy" are all examples of insults and/or trolling.  You can make your point without slinging insults.  If you aren't sure whether something is an insult or otherwise violative of the rules, I have a suggestion for you:  hold your tongue and just don't say it.

Going forward, violations will result in a 1-month ban.  No warnings. 

Arguing with mods' public moderation decisions will also result in a temp. or perm. ban, at the discretion of the mod staff.

If you don't understand the difference between constructive criticism or you can't voice your disagreement respectfullly, and you want to say I'm censoring you or some other nonsense, all I can say is I'm sorry you misunderstand what I am doing and why we have rules.  You are free to express your opinions, but keep in mind that not every opinion needs to be expressed, and above all else, think about HOW you are expressing your opinion before you hit the "Post" button.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: **UPDATED: PLEASE READ -- Forum Announcement re Mike Portnoy Discussion**
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:55:32 PM »
Initial post updated.