Author Topic: Visa Trade Program  (Read 1060 times)

Offline soundgarden

Visa Trade Program
« on: October 06, 2010, 04:16:10 AM »
This is something I was thinking about earlier and I want to see if anyone with international law/trade knowledge can give some input.

America is tough with Visa's (as a native new yorker with mostly foreign friends, I hear about this often) and I understand why.  Foreign students who gain their education here and return to their nation after are taking back intellectual value with them which was gained at the investment of the American economy.  Multiply that by the fact that resident Americans are caring less for higher education while foreigners dream of studying here, the government rightfully sees a big potential of value and skill being siphoned back to foreign nations.

I agree with the strict limit (addressing why Americans are caring less for higher education and how to handle that is another issue).

However, I also believe that cross cultural exchange is essential for all nations, and I hate to see people being barred from meeting foreign faces.* So what I propose is that once the cap is reached, any foreigner who seeks to study here in the states would be allowed to "trade" his Visa for an American's.   Any foreigner deciding to come study here would need to find an American willing to go study in their country matching their time and level of study.  A student taking a few weeks of acting classes would not trade his/her visa with a student seeking a four year PhD for example.

Additionally, I would like to see the American government provide more financial assistance for its students seeking international studying.  Its a given fact, Americans are lazy to learn about foreign nations.  It would help tremendously if money wasn't a debilitating factor.

The same would work for Worker Visa's.  If a Frenchman wants to work here as a baker, for example, then he/she must find an American wanting to go work there in a similar field for the similar amount of time and similar pay.

I guess this can be achieved by a government database (much like how FAFSA is where you go for governmental financial aide) where Americans and foreigners enlist and search.

*I strongly believe that many of the worlds problems will be solved if people in different nations talk to each other face to face, shake hands, and have a beer.

?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:23:32 AM by soundgarden »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Visa Trade Program
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:26:53 AM »
On the face of it, it sounds like a great idea.
But, I don't think the brain drain is the only reason why American visas are capped. I think the fact that the vast majority of visa holders come from second/third-world countries, there is the concern of "once in, never out", which is all too real. And in fact, the caps on the visa number are determined by country. As a German I almost felt waved through the immigration process, whereas some countries can't even officially get visas.

EDIT:
*I strongly believe that many of the worlds problems will be solved if people in different nations talk to each other face to face, shake hands, and have a beer.

WORD. Lack of communication is almost always the cause of strife.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
The conflicts of the world will be solved once the conflict of self is solved.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »
On the face of it, it sounds like a great idea.
But, I don't think the brain drain is the only reason why American visas are capped. I think the fact that the vast majority of visa holders come from second/third-world countries, there is the concern of "once in, never out", which is all too real.

Why would anyone see this as a problem?  If a student has the intellect to pass the testing requirements to get a Visa and is likely to stay in the US he is bringing knowledge, skill, and hard work to the nation, which is nearly guaranteed to remain.  

The government would rather waste this investment on some snot-nose frat boy drinking away his brain cells?