Author Topic: The Mars Volta Thread (the band has un-broken up)  (Read 109586 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Mars Volta Thread (the band has broke up/hiatus)
« Reply #490 on: January 09, 2013, 04:42:49 AM »
Most Volta fans want crazy arrangements and whatnot, and Octahedron is pretty straightforward compared to their other records. It's just not "Volta-y" enough for them.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #491 on: January 23, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »
Well, according to a bunch of tweets from Cedric in the last hour or so, the Mars Volta is no longer together.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #492 on: January 23, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
Well, according to a bunch of tweets from Cedric in the last hour or so, the Mars Volta is no longer together.
That blows  :sadpanda:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #493 on: January 23, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »
He sounds like he's in hysterics about this.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: January 23, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
Such a shame. Reading over his tweets I'm not really sure how to feel - on one hand, it seems like he's trying to demonize Omar; but on the other, I appreciate how straightforward he is. Very sad situation either way. But Omar and Cedric have never gotten along famously, so it's not surprising. I wouldn't rule out a future reunion though.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #495 on: January 23, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »
He sounds like he's in hysterics about this.

I can tell you that I'm in hysterics about this.
prog sucks

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #496 on: January 23, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »
Stop... no... you're lying, stop.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: January 23, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
A compilation of Cedric's tweets into one statement:

Thank you to all Volta fans you deserved more, especially after the way you rooted for us on this album. I tried my hardest to keep it going, but Bosnian Rainbows was what we all got instead. I can't sit here and pretend anymore. I no longer am a member of Mars Volta. I honestly thank all of you for buying our records and coming to our shows. You guys were a blast to play in front of. We could never had done it without you. My dream was to get us to the point where Jon and Ikey came back but sadly it's over. Thank you a million times over for ever giving a fuck about our band. For the record I tried my hardest to get a full scale North American tour going for 'Noctourniquet' but Omar did not want to. I guess a break from Mars Volta means starting another band and ignoring all the support the fans gave us. I tried my hardest, guys. All I can do is move forward with my music and just be happy that Volta ever happened at all. God Damn we had a blast! Thank you again. I just feel really guilty for not even really saying the truth because a hiatus is just an insult to the fans. To all our fans all over the world: thank you for giving a fuck. You all ruled! I don't think I'll ever hear a fist full of dollars the same. My record will see the light of day soon and I'm excited because it sounds nothing like my previous endeavors. I'm not joking about any of this, I owe it to you guys (all fans) to be serious about this. Thank you to all past members who helped Volta along, as well. We blasted through like a comet and left our mark! If you ever see me in person and want to know why I'll tell you my side of the story. Finally, Please just be happy that it happened at all, remember all the opposition we were met with for just starting a new band back in 2001.
prog sucks

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #498 on: January 23, 2013, 09:50:41 PM »
Well, it sucks, but at least the last album was a good one to go out on.  :-\
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #499 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »
Latest tweet:
What am I suppose to do be some progressive house wife that's cool with watching their partner go fuck other bands? We owe it 2 fans to tour
Damn...

Offline adace

« Reply #500 on: January 23, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
Oh man...  :'(

R.I.P. a great band.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #501 on: January 23, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »
Well, fuck.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #502 on: January 23, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »
Well that sucks. :(

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: January 24, 2013, 05:59:46 AM »
Dammit.  I really wanted to see them live on this tour.  Nocturniquet was too great to let it go without one.

Oh well.  At least Juan Alderete and Deantoni Parks can collaborate with Kimbra like they wanted to.  That'd be cool.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #505 on: January 24, 2013, 06:47:59 AM »
Worst musical news this month. Worst musical news I've heard in a long time.

Shit!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: January 24, 2013, 06:59:40 AM »
Can’t say I’m upset about this. TMV quickly became my favorite band after Deloused and Francis, but it’s been ups and downs since Amputecture. The last album was unlistenable.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #507 on: January 24, 2013, 07:04:20 AM »
The Mars Volta 'Split in anger'

The Mars Volta singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala says the band have split after guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez refused to take part in a US tour.

Zavala blamed the move on Lopez’ interest in his new band, Bosnian Rainbows. In a furious tweet the vocalist demanded: “What am I supposed to be, some progressive housewife that’s cool with watching their partner go fuck other bands?”

The duo formed The Mars Volta in 2001 after previous outfit At The Drive-In collapsed. They won a Grammy in 2009. Last year they said they’d gone on hiatus while Lopez concentrated on his new project.

But Zavala has claimed that was never really the case. In a series of tweets he said last night: “I guess a break from Mars Volta means starting another band and ignoring all the support the fans gave us.

“I can’t sit here and pretend any more. I no longer am a member of Mars Volta. Sadly it’s over.”

Thanking fans for their support he continued: “For the record I tried my hardest to get a full scale North American tour going but Omar did not want to.

“I just feel really guilty for not even really saying the truth because ‘a hiatus’ is just an insult to the fans. All I can do is move forward with my music and just be happy that Mars Volta ever happened at all. God damn we had a blast.”

Zavala is working on a solo album while Bosnian Rainbows will release their debut album this year and tour the US next month.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #508 on: January 24, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
Can’t say I’m upset about this. TMV quickly became my favorite band after Deloused and Francis, but it’s been ups and downs since Amputecture. The last album was unlistenable.

I never got the praise for the last album that I read online, especially around these parts. I thought it was boring as fuck myself after a few listens, and it's kind of obvious now that Omar just plain didn't want to be there anymore. Their first two are brilliant, but they've been hit or miss ever since, and missed big time on the last one. Better they split than water down their legacy any further.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #509 on: January 24, 2013, 07:14:48 AM »
“What am I supposed to be, some progressive housewife that’s cool with watching their partner go fuck other bands?”

Quote of the year, as far as I'm concerned...  :hat
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: January 24, 2013, 08:05:32 AM »
“What am I supposed to be, some progressive housewife that’s cool with watching their partner go fuck other bands?”

Quote of the year, as far as I'm concerned...  :hat
Wife analogies! Yes!

At least it is better than MP with DT, which was like: “I have been out fucking all these other bands—am I supposed to be happy seeing some other dude fucking my wife in the house I built!?”

I never got the praise for the last album that I read online, especially around these parts. I thought it was boring as fuck myself after a few listens, and it's kind of obvious now that Omar just plain didn't want to be there anymore. Their first two are brilliant, but they've been hit or miss ever since, and missed big time on the last one. Better they split than water down their legacy any further.
Agreed completely. I was absolutely baffled with the praise I saw for the last album. Even my fiancé, is who generally extremely open-minded musically, looked over at me with a “WTF are you listening to look?” when I last started playing it.

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #511 on: January 24, 2013, 09:02:33 AM »
R.I.P. Mars Volta, you'll be missed.  :-[

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #512 on: January 24, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »

Same here.  I also was big on De-Loused and Frances, but nothing they had done since did much for me, outside of a few songs here and there.  They were pretty much off of my radar in recent years.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: January 24, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
Had this happened two years ago it would've been no biggie.  But I really like Nocturniquet and think its the only other album (besides De-Loused) thats great from beginning to end, so I was hoping to see them live.  All the albums in between ranged from "decently good" to "meh." 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #514 on: January 24, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
I find Deloused to be kinda middle ground. Amputechture is my favourite.

« Reply #515 on: January 24, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
I'm sad to see them break up even if I thought Noctourniquet was a big, heaping slab of meh. They were pretty willing to do whatever they wanted and I'll miss that. 

Also, whoever mixed or mastered Noc needs a good punch in the throat. There're some good songs on the album that are basically unlistenable because of how ear-shatteringly bad the music sounds.

Oh and Frances for life!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #516 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:27 AM »
Amazing
----------
Deloused
Nocturniquet
Octahedron

Awesome
-----------
Bedlam
Frances
Amputechture

So yeah I'm going to miss this band :(

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #517 on: January 24, 2013, 10:51:55 AM »
I'm sad to see them break up even if I thought Noctourniquet was a big, heaping slab of meh. They were pretty willing to do whatever they wanted and I'll miss that. 

Also, whoever mixed or mastered Noc needs a good punch in the throat. There're some good songs on the album that are basically unlistenable because of how ear-shatteringly bad the music sounds.

the mixing on Noctourniquet is lights years better than Bedlam. I only hear 2 tracks that the cymbals clip, or the reverb is excessive.

« Reply #518 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »

the mixing on Noctourniquet is lights years better than Bedlam. I only hear 2 tracks that the cymbals clip, or the reverb is excessive.
They both sound awful. Noc just has too much going on that it just sounds physically painful to listen to. At least for me it was.

Bedlam just sounded awful.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #519 on: January 24, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
Bedlam was one of my faves, along with Frances and the mighty De-Loused of course.  Bumout news  :sadpanda:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: January 24, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »
The Mars Volta always kinda reminded me what Yes would have been like if Jon Anderson were into opiates instead of hallucinagens.

And yeah, I agree with the general consensus that there's a plummet in quality after FtM, obviously. I like Frances and Deloused very much, but they've been off my radar since Amputecture disappointed me tremendously. Every once in awhile I'm encouraged to give Bedlam or another newer TMV record a try, and I usually find it to be better than I remembered, though still not go.

This is still kinda a weird moment for me. A record store clerk encouraged me to check out The Mars Volta right when I was getting into progressive music, around my sophomore year of high school. I'd already discovered Tool the year before, and that'd led me stuff like Pink Floyd ironically. I was buying my first copy of "Dark Side of the Moon" when the clerk handed me "Deloused", which had just come out. He gave it to me for like $6, which must have been all I had. Anyway, I took the album home, popped it in, and was immediately blown away.

"Frances" didn't really impress me as much when I heard it a few years later. By that time, I'd discovered even mroe great music: dredg, Dream Theater, Yes, and so on. I was starting to sense that TMV's sound was more than a little bit derivative, and that compared to other stuff I was listening to, their music seemed to contain hefty amounts of fluff and incomprehensible white noise segments. I did get into "Francis" eventually, though, always willing to be challenged by new music.

By the time "Amputechture" and "Scab Dates" came out, I just didn't care. The former record sounded burnt-out, and frictionless. "Scabdates" was a joke: the first time I ever felt legitimately ripped-off by a record purchase from a band I liked. I was really excited when I heard the 4 song teaser from "Bedlam", but that excitement disappeared when I realized those four songs would be the best on the album.

After that, I discovered enough new music that I just didn't care about following TMV anymore. But, it's still interesting. One of the first bands I got into and one of the first I feel like I "discovered" right from the beginning are now broken up.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #521 on: January 24, 2013, 12:06:25 PM »
Amputechture

Frances
Bedlam
Deloused
Noctourniquet
Octahedron

Offline adace

« Reply #522 on: January 24, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »
Deloused
Frances
Bedlam
Amputechture
Octahedron
Noctourniquet

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #523 on: January 24, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
Amputechture

De-Loused
Frances
Octahedron
Bedlam

Noctourniquet

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #524 on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »
Bedlam
De-Loused
Octahedron
Frances
Amputechture
Noctourniquet

The last four are all interchangeable, though.

When I woke up and realized last night wasn't a bad dream, I didn't want to get out of bed. This is definitely the worst I've felt after any band broke up. I loved The Mars Volta so much, and never got the opportunity to see them live which makes all of this a lot worse.
prog sucks