General > General Music Discussion

The Mars Volta Thread (the band has un-broken up)

<< < (2/144) > >>

Perpetual Change:
Here's my ranking

Good
1.) De-Loused
Decent
2.) Frances
Bad
3.) Bedlam
4.) Amputecture
Shit that goes into my "Least Favorite Records Ever
5.) Octahedron

So yeah. Pretty much not looking forward to anything they do in the future.

The King in Crimson:
My Ranking:
Frances
Deloused
Octahedron
Bedlam

I have not listened to Amputechture or Tremulant yet so I can't rightly rank them.

--- Quote from: darkshade on October 05, 2010, 04:39:43 PM ---This is the official Mars Volta appreciation and information thread. I love this band, got into them sometime after Frances The Mute came out, and have been following them ever since. Ive had a love/hate relationship through the years, but ive always listened to them with interest. an example of the love/hate thing with them is i could listen to a song or 2 by them and get so pumped up i could take on the world. on the other side, i recently felt like throwing on Frances the Mute, but i took the little known title track on my iPod and put it on as the first track instead of the last track, and boy was that a bad idea. My mood was totally drained and the rest of the day i felt "meh". Any TMV fans will understand what im talking about (if youve ever heard the title track that is)
--- End quote ---
Ugh, the title track is not very good at all. I'm very glad they decided to keep it off the album.

--- Quote ---Their recent Octahedron was a big letdown for me. Besides the fact that it came out the same day BC&SL came out (which were both purchased that same day) it just wasnt what i quite expected from the band. I knew it was going to be a softer album, but i guess i still expected more. Since You've Been Wrong, Cotopaxi, and Luciforms were the only songs i 'kind of' liked, but the album got shelved pretty quickly.

now i love the album, and all their albums (including Bedlam in Goliath, which i havent even mentioned yet). Being used to their crazy sound, Octahedron was a little disappointing, but i think it will get even better over time, in context with whatever they release in the future.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, about Octahedron, I really liked it when it first came out (especially Teflon) and I listened the hell out of it then, but I just threw it in my CD player about a month or two ago and it has not aged well at all. Some good songs, but a lot of it is just boring now.

--- Quote ---Speaking of the future, anyone know any news about their new album? i know pre-production started in May, but havent heard much since.

--- End quote ---
Coming out this year last I heard and I'm looking forward to it.

sonatafanica:
TMV is excellent.

skydivingninja:
I like the Mars Volta, but I kinda have to be in the mood for them.  De-Loused and Octahedron are the only albums I can listen through all the way.  Great stuff.  Frances is also great, but I've found listening through that whole thing is kind of a chore.  Bedlam is okay, bit too much filler in there.  Amputechture I never listen to.
Favorite Songs:
Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus
La Via L'Viaquez
Desparate Graves
Teflon
Roulette Dares
Televators
Goliath
Viscera Eyes
Aberinkula
Tourniquet Man
Agadez
Veil Cerpin Taxt
Drunkship of Lanterns

Lots of great songs from these guys.  They just need to reel it in sometimes.  Now I'm gonna listen to De-Loused for the first time in a while.  :D

darkshade:

--- Quote from: The King in Crimson on October 05, 2010, 07:05:11 PM ---

--- Quote from: darkshade on October 05, 2010, 04:39:43 PM ---This is the official Mars Volta appreciation and information thread. I love this band, got into them sometime after Frances The Mute came out, and have been following them ever since. Ive had a love/hate relationship through the years, but ive always listened to them with interest. an example of the love/hate thing with them is i could listen to a song or 2 by them and get so pumped up i could take on the world. on the other side, i recently felt like throwing on Frances the Mute, but i took the little known title track on my iPod and put it on as the first track instead of the last track, and boy was that a bad idea. My mood was totally drained and the rest of the day i felt "meh". Any TMV fans will understand what im talking about (if youve ever heard the title track that is)
--- End quote ---
Ugh, the title track is not very good at all. I'm very glad they decided to keep it off the album.

--- End quote ---

it wouldnt fit on a single disc release anyway, it would have had to have been split onto 2 cds.

but yeah that title track isnt so hot.

3 of my favorite songs are Tetragrammaton, Viscera Eyes and Day Of The Baphomets; which is part of the reason Amputechture is my favorite. But im also a big fan of their entire discography (Octahedron i have to be in the mood for though i like it)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version