Author Topic: The Mars Volta Thread (the band has un-broken up)  (Read 105755 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Mars Volta Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 30, 2011, 02:36:54 AM »
Frances the Mute is the perfect album to start off the day.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #211 on: December 30, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »
TMV just needs to come out with the new album already!  I'm getting unbearably antsy... It's been too long since I've had my fix of crazy-awesome prog drumming.  It's like no matter who drums for these guys, it's amazing.  France the Mute was my favorite for a long time, but being a fan of heavy stuff, Bedlam now reigns supreme.  There are not enough bands around today like TMV.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #212 on: December 30, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »
If you like the drummers in The Mars Volta, prepare to have your mind blown this time around.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »
If you like the drummers in The Mars Volta, prepare to have your mind blown this time around.

YES!  I can't wait... I've seen some of Omar's solo stuff with Deantoni on it and it seriously blew my mind.  The only release I own that has him on it, in part, is Omar's "Old Money".  I'm so excited to see what he sounds like on an official TMV release.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »
I favorited all of the videos on YouTube of the performances that Omar did with Deantoni in LA and New York last year. It's some of the best music I've ever heard, and if the new record is even half as good as that stuff I'm gonna be a happy guy.
prog sucks

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
I favorited all of the videos on YouTube of the performances that Omar did with Deantoni in LA and New York last year. It's some of the best music I've ever heard, and if the new record is even half as good as that stuff I'm gonna be a happy guy.

Yea man, all that stuff sounded great!  I think they've got something awesome up their sleeves for this new one.  I really dug some of those videos of the "new" TMV material they debuted recently.  I think they might have been from gigs they did with Soundgarden this year.  One of the songs was called "Trinkets Pale the Moon" if I remember correctly.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2011, 01:00:10 PM »
I was gonna watch some of those videos, but I decided to go into this album not knowing anything but the lineup. I don't want to have any expectations or anything like that, I just want to go in with a blank slate.
prog sucks

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
I was gonna watch some of those videos, but I decided to go into this album not knowing anything but the lineup. I don't want to have any expectations or anything like that, I just want to go in with a blank slate.

Yea man, that's definitely a good way to go.  I watched them once just to get a vibe for what's coming... and the vibe was GOOD!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »
I saw TMV open up for Red Hot Chili Peppers awhile back and they were a crazy band!  My favorite album is probably De-Loused. I liked the more chill out vibe they had on Octahedron too.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
I didn't really care for Octahedron when I first listened to it, but after many, many more listens, I was able to see that it was a much better album than my first impression of it. I was used to the up tempo craziness of the first three albums, and just wanted more of that, but it's clear that Octahedron is none of that, but it's just a great album in it's own right.
prog sucks

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »
I saw TMV open up for Red Hot Chili Peppers awhile back and they were a crazy band!  My favorite album is probably De-Loused. I liked the more chill out vibe they had on Octahedron too.

That's awesome man, I bet that was sick show!  I've only seen them once in 2008, with Pridgen on drums, and it was insane... the place got so hot though that they stopped early.  Got to see a bunch of stuff from Bedlam live though!  I love De-Loused as well, it was the first one that I got.  I can't say I've heard a bad thing from them yet!

I didn't really care for Octahedron when I first listened to it, but after many, many more listens, I was able to see that it was a much better album than my first impression of it. I was used to the up tempo craziness of the first three albums, and just wanted more of that, but it's clear that Octahedron is none of that, but it's just a great album in it's own right.

I was sort of the same way with Octahedron.  I liked it straight away, but started liking it even more as time went on. I though it was really cool to hear them do something different from their usual.  If I had to choose though, the crazy TMV albums would get my vote!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
Bedlam is, and forever will be, my number one.
prog sucks

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #222 on: December 31, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
Bedlam is, and forever will be, my number one.

Same here man, the first time I put Bedlam on I immediately had a huge smile on my face.  That's how I know an album is going to be good.  The prog fan in me just loves Pridgen's crazy spastic drumming style.  Also, the production on Bedlam has been my favorite of theirs... especially the drums. 

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »
Pridgen is a God. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to learn his parts on that album with little to no success. He's all over the place, and I love every fucking second of it.
prog sucks

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2011, 06:15:23 PM »
Pridgen is a God. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to learn his parts on that album with little to no success. He's all over the place, and I love every fucking second of it.

I know man, he's a freak of nature... I love how he makes it look completely effortless when he plays.  It was a sad day when he left the band.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »
It was bittersweet for me. Pridgen is easily one of my favorite drummers, and I absolutely love what he did as a member, but Deantoni Parks is just on a completely different level. He's like the perfect mix of Pridgen and Theodore, and just tears apart the drum set.
prog sucks

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #226 on: January 01, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »
It was bittersweet for me. Pridgen is easily one of my favorite drummers, and I absolutely love what he did as a member, but Deantoni Parks is just on a completely different level. He's like the perfect mix of Pridgen and Theodore, and just tears apart the drum set.

Totally man... this new is probably going to be turning a lot of heads!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
This record needs to come out sooner than later. I really want to be listening to new Volta right about now.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
New song "Zed and Two Naughts" confirmed to be in MLB 12: The Show.
prog sucks

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »
New song "Zed and Two Naughts" confirmed to be in MLB 12: The Show.

NICE!  Where did you hear this info? 

MUST. HEAR. SONG. NOW.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
prog sucks

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »
Their twitter account. https://twitter.com/#!/themarsvolta

Wow, I didn't even know they had a twitter.  I wonder when they are going to announce the album release date?  I just need some type of information to keep me sane!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: January 06, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »
I saw something on Tumblr that said 3/27/12, but it wasn't from anything official, although it was in Spanish, so you never know.

EDIT: Just saw this: https://fuckyeahmarsvolta.tumblr.com/post/15431477839/there-is-a-song-on-the-new-volta-that-goes-by
prog sucks

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
I saw something on Tumblr that said 3/27/12, but it wasn't from anything official, although it was in Spanish, so you never know.
I speak Spanish, link me to said Tumblr.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #234 on: January 06, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »
That is hilarious!  They must not listen to Porcupine Tree...  :lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »
I speak Spanish, link me to said Tumblr.

Seeing as Cedric said that the album wasn't called In Absentia, and the post said that is what is was called, I'm going to assume that it wasn't legit. Also, my Spanish was good enough for me to figure it out.
prog sucks

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #236 on: January 06, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
I found the post you were talking about, you are correct. It's stating in Spanish that the album is called In Absentia which that other post from Cedric corrects.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »
There's been so much speculation about the new record in the past few days. I really want to get some official announcement beyond the song in MLB 12.
prog sucks

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
Absolutely, the time has come for some official news from the band about the new album!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »
I hope all this At The Drive-In stuff doesn't really effect the album release. I love At the Drive-In, but I've been waiting for this album patiently for so long. I really don't want any more set backs.
prog sucks

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »
I think they'll release the album as soon as they can, but the tour might be postponed. At least I hope the album doesn't get delayed because I really wanna hear it too!

Offline aparadoxindeed

« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »
I'm totally for an ATDI reunion, as long as we get the same amount of Volta as usual!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
prog sucks

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »
Just saw this on Tumblr. https://fuckyeahmarsvolta.tumblr.com/post/15731282256/thanks-to-the-coma-and-matt-for-giving-us-the
Soooo stoked! Love the name of the album.

Wish it had a release date though. Any one have any ideas or guesses as to when its coming out? I would guess April.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »
On the Wikipedia page it says "The album is reported to be slated for release on March 27th," but that comes from the same post that Cedric said was wrong about the album's name, so I'm not really trusting it.

EDIT: Although, after some searching on the Volta Forums I found this: https://forum.thecomatorium.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119902, which makes me super excited.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:38:43 PM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks