Dream Theater > Dream Theater

Modern Day Falling Into Infinity

(1/3) > >>

pmahoney1337:
I was just thinking about this. FII is considered to be DT's mainstream album. Their record producers put them in a tight position when the album was produced and stressed DT to make more of a mainstream album, which of course DT hated. They did what they had to do and it is what it is. Personally I love the album, but there are those songs in it that we all know just arent Dream Theater (cough* You Not Me). If you think about it, it could've been a lot worse had it happened in today's world with the mainstream music we have. I don't believe DT would have turned into one of these pop bands but it could've been a lot more mainstream then what FII was. Hopefully this will generate some discussion about FII and what DT would've done in that situation today. Also opinions on today's music and how you feel about it compared to DT.

Perpetual Change:
For me, Octavarium is the modern FII, even though it doesn't have the same circumstances surrounded it. Octavarium, like FII, is a "lighter" album with one or two songs that pretty much everyone unites behind, and one or two songs which are "pretty good." Everything else is kinda meh.

tjanuranus:
that's strange to me. I think it's their best album of the last decade!

Seventh Son:

--- Quote from: Perpetual Change on October 04, 2010, 07:18:43 PM ---For me, Octavarium is the modern FII, even though it doesn't have the same circumstances surrounded it. Octavarium, like FII, is a "lighter" album with one or two songs that pretty much everyone unites behind, and one or two songs which are "pretty good." Everything else is kinda meh.

--- End quote ---
I dunno, FII has its heavy moments. Peruvian Skies, Burning My Soul, Lines in the Sand (I've seen it as a "heavy" song), New Millennium.

darkshade:

--- Quote from: Perpetual Change on October 04, 2010, 07:18:43 PM ---For me, Octavarium is the modern FII, even though it doesn't have the same circumstances surrounded it. Octavarium, like FII, is a "lighter" album with one or two songs that pretty much everyone unites behind, and one or two songs which are "pretty good." Everything else is kinda meh.

--- End quote ---

i think more people would say 8V is better overall than FII than the other way around, FII has lots of 'meh' songs, whereas 8V has one 1 or 2 depending on your tastes (personally i love the entire 8V album)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version