Author Topic: Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well/Toby Driver appreciation (merged)  (Read 44355 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well/Toby Driver appreciation (merged)
« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »
I'm excited about this. Curious to see what kind of direction they'll go, but Kayo Dot is easily my favorite Toby Driver project. Choirs of the Eye is one of the best albums ever, and I didn't think Hubardo was that far off the mark. Enjoyed Coffins on IO quite a lot despite it being so different, and no matter which direction they go, I'll be curious.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
Yeah I'm excited about this as well.

I have absolutely no expectations, considering that it could be anything, but I do hope that it's more in the vein of Hubardo/CotE and not as much Coffins on Io. I listened to Coffins a lot anyways and quite enjoyed it, but I've always enjoyed their heavier stuff.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »
Coffins on IO was my favourite last time I listened to KD. Nice and atmospheric. Admittedly, I haven't listened to any of their albums more than twice.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »
the next Kayo Dot album, like more or less all of their records, I probably will check out, but not expect all that much from. However I'm way more intrigued by the concept album Greg Massi has been working on for Baliset (which may be awhile before it comes, considering he joined a new/different band recently).

https://www.facebook.com/greg.massi/posts/10153966879647230

I could rant about negative stuff but I would rather just mention how psyched I am about the new Concilium music we are working on. Very happy with my decision to join this band. Doesn't me I've forgotten about the amazing Baliset music I have to finish as well. Just need to get my head on straight.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2016, 05:09:19 AM »
The dude sounds stressed. Never heard Baliset before.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2016, 10:21:08 AM »
The dude sounds stressed. Never heard Baliset before.

both their album and EP are on bandcamp:

https://retconrecordings.com/

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #252 on: April 05, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 5, 2016

KAYO DOT ANNOUNCE ‘PLASTIC HOUSE ON BASE OF SKY’
New LP out June 24 on The Flenser

"a refined, and sensual, post-new wave tour de force" - Echoes & Dust
“…a hypnotic blend of sensuous grooves, ghostly heaviness and knotty melodies ..." - Time Out New York

Kayo Dot has never made the same record twice. From chamber music to progressive black metal, from goth to jazz and avant-garde classical, Kayo Dot is undeniably experimental and utterly unclassifiable. Since its inception in 2003, the band has released seven full-length albums, including their debut Choirs of the Eye (2003), the conceptual double-album Hubardo (2013) and most recently Coffins on Io (2014, The Flenser). Kayo Dot have toured the globe numerous times over and have played the stages of Roadburn, SXSW, and many other international music festivals. In 2015, frontman Toby Driver organized and played a 12-concert retrospective at The Stone in NYC. Now, Kayo Dot is gearing up for the release of a new LP: Plastic House on Base of Sky, due out June 24th, 2016 from The Flenser.

On Plastic House on Base of Sky, Kayo Dot fully embraces Coffins on Io's electronic allusions, incorporating a variety of synthesizers (many of them vintage analog) to create another work of ambition and magnitude that fuses the explosive musical imagination of a band like Magma with the forward-thinking experimentalism of Conrad Schnitzler or Morton Subotnick. This 40 minute-long, 5-song LP goes beyond the future-noir theme of Coffins on Io and is an innovative and biomechanical work of art. Think seemingly impossible architecture, dead satellites, trashed space stations, wasted old lady heroin addicts hanging out by cheap motel pools, broken people, and a hopeless dead and polluted world transitioning into artifice and mechanism and reacting by being self-destructive, either to the point of utter obliteration or a glorious transhuman condition.

Toby Driver, the primary composer and bandleader of Kayo Dot, has been fiercely productive over the years, and while that usually refers to how many songs or albums an artist has made, with Driver the productivity is in the realm of ideas as much as music itself. In the course of a single Kayo Dot song, the amount of risks and liberties taken with form and convention usually outnumbers what other artists cover in a full album. For as much ground as they cover, it's always in the service of a carefully curated mood and this is apparent on Plastic House on Base of Sky's exploration of our mechanical post-human future-present.

The core of Kayo Dot might be that mood– one that lies at the crossroads of darkness and mystery. In film, music that accompanies mystery is often nocturnal, playing on a primal relation in our brains between the unknown and the night. It's this intersection that is the essence of Kayo Dot. Driver, who recorded Plastic House on Base of Sky in various locations from August 2014 to December 2015, again collaborates with lyricist Jason Byron. Byron, a lifelong student of the occult, gives the listener a feast of words to unpack that are as elusively satisfying as the labyrinths of sound they travel through. Whether by way of menacing guitars, ethereal woodwinds, or aggressive electronics, there's always a sense that a new passage could open, that around the next corner could be anything.

Song premieres, pre-orders and more info on Plastic House on Base of Sky coming soon from Kayo Dot and The Flenser .

Cover art by FUCO UEDA / Design by Kevin Gan Yuen.

Plastic House on Base of Sky Track Listing:

1. Amalia's Theme
2. All The Pain in All the Wide World
3. Magnetism
4. Rings of Earth
5. Brittle Urchin
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #253 on: April 05, 2016, 01:40:55 PM »
Goddamnit, I cheched for news just today and didn't see anything.  :lol

You forgot the art though.

Don't like the look of it tbh.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »
Really excited for this. The band has been in strong form lately with the last two albums being the best KD albums since the first two, so this should be good.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »
Yay!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
Pre-ordered the blue vinyl

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #258 on: June 16, 2017, 12:55:58 AM »
FYI, they're FINALLY releasing a vinyl edition of Choirs of the Eye. Preorders here: https://kayodot.bigcartel.com/
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: June 16, 2017, 02:09:42 AM »
So happy I'm finally gonna have it on vinyl

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: June 16, 2017, 05:27:05 AM »
Insta-buy. I've been waiting since 2003. Never expected it to happen!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2021, 02:53:46 PM »
New single, Void in Virgo (The Nature of Sacrifice)

https://open.spotify.com/track/0d085K3oCiJqSuscsoQhD8?si=GRwQeJ7iR06_RMmwblQb7Q&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

Yea it's pretty good on first listen.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2021, 08:25:38 PM »
I actually made a video about motW recently, especially after stumbling on this video:

"maudlin of the Well - "Bath / LYBM" puzzle - SOLVED?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEg6SX4sDuE

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2021, 10:36:11 PM »
I actually made a video about motW recently, especially after stumbling on this video:

"maudlin of the Well - "Bath / LYBM" puzzle - SOLVED?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEg6SX4sDuE

That was awesome. I had no idea there was any puzzle to be solved with those two albums. I have only listened to two Kayo Dot albums, Blasphemy and Hubardo. They didn't really do a great deal for me if I'm honest, and I've not delved any further. However, I do LOVE Bath/Leaving Your Body Map. These two albums are something else.

Well, if nothing else this has inspired me to listen back through those albums as well as starting at the beginning with Kayo Dot  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: August 04, 2021, 02:59:38 AM »
Maudlin of the Well is awesome but I always got more out of Kayo Dot. Perhaps harder to get into, but more rewarding once you did. Choirs of the Eye remains one of my all time favorite albums to this day.