Author Topic: The Official Kino Thread v. NEW ALBUM OUT 3/23/18 Radio Voltaire  (Read 8620 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: The Official Kino Thread v. NEW ALBUM OUT 3/23/18 Radio Voltaire
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
The first album was great, I have the CD/DVD combo which is a great package, recently bought the remastered vinyl/CD re-release.
Looking forward to the new one.

Don't forget JM side band Lonely Robot, a similar mix of pop/prog and rock that Kino was.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
The first album was great, I have the CD/DVD combo which is a great package, recently bought the remastered vinyl/CD re-release.

Don't forget JM side band Lonely Robot, a similar mix of pop/prog and rock that Kino was.

Do you know if the CD was also remastered?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »

Do you know if the CD was also remastered?

One Google search later, and...

https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Kino_-_Picture_-Vinyl_re-issue_2017-_-Gatefold_black_2LP-CD-/16391

Finally, the 2005 album by KINO is being released on vinyl for the first time! “Picture” features a stellar line-up including John Mitchell (Arena, Lonely Robot), John Beck (It Bites), Chris Maitland (Porcupine Tree) and Pete Trewavas (Marillion, Transatlantic), and was remastered in 2017 by John Mitchell especially for this release. “Picture” offers brilliant, atmospheric and catchy modern prog rock that shines with timeless beauty and fabulous songwriting. Includes the remastered album on CD as extra!

You'll have to buy the vinyl to get the CD. I don't think the CD was made available on its own.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the info M. Sucks that the CD is not being sold separately.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »

The Big Dream is a fantastic album. I listened to it again this evening. And considering the new Kino lineup is two-thirds Lonely Robot (Mitchell and Blundell), this gives me high hopes for the album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »

The Big Dream is a fantastic album. I listened to it again this evening. And considering the new Kino lineup is two-thirds Lonely Robot (Mitchell and Blundell), this gives me high hopes for the album.

Considering my love for Kino and Frost*, you'd think I would've checked out Lonely Robot by now, but I haven't yet. Can anyone suggest to me an album or song to check out, preferably if it sounds more like Frost* or Kino?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2018, 12:35:38 AM »
Considering my love for Kino and Frost*, you'd think I would've checked out Lonely Robot by now, but I haven't yet. Can anyone suggest to me an album or song to check out, preferably if it sounds more like Frost* or Kino?

-Marc.

There's only two albums to choose from. As for songs, my favourites on The Big Dream are Sigma and Everglow. Although they're all quite awesome.

I have to say, with all these projects he's involved with, it's easy to forget that for over 20 years now, John Mitchell has been the guitarist for Arena too. Another band I highly recommend.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2018, 12:47:37 AM »
Glad you mentioned Arena, a very underrated band who have consistently put out quality albums over the past 20 odd years.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 04:28:21 AM »
I just listened to their first album for the first time today. VERY cool!!! Looking forward to the new release in a few months.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 05:51:32 AM »

-Marc.

I'd say on the whole, Lonely Robot is closer to Kino than Frost*.  I wasn't too much of a fan of the first album, but last year's release was much better (imo).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2018, 06:47:43 AM »
I just listened to their first album for the first time today. VERY cool!!! Looking forward to the new release in a few months.

I have had this album (the reissued one) since last year and just yesterday gave it a couple of spins, WOW, what I’ve been missing!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »

-Marc.

I'd say on the whole, Lonely Robot is closer to Kino than Frost*.  I wasn't too much of a fan of the first album, but last year's release was much better (imo).

I guess that's good to know. I think heading into the next Kino album, I will check out the two Lonely Robot albums, since they feature Mitchell and Blundell anyway, might as well re-acquaint myself with half of what will be the "new" Kino.

-Marc.

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »
Actually i think at the time kino was an unexpected masterpiece i played it so often , so when i was at an recordfair last November i bought the vinyl straightaway and thought what an pity they didn't make any more albums..........who knew.....Right??

Would have loved Chris Maitland on drums,don't know why he isn't a part of it.The guy can sing too.

But thrilled for the new album :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »
For those interested, BurningShed posted their pre-orders today, and the first 250 get a signed postcard!

They also put up the track times for the album, which is 56:10 for the main album, and 15:05 for bonus tracks (71:15 total).

1. Radio Voltaire (7:06)
2. The Dead Club (4:12)
3. Idlewild (6:03)
4. I Don't Know Why (5:25)
5. I Won't Break So Easily Any More (5:30)
6. Temple Tudor (4:32)
7. Out Of Time (6:22)
8. Warmth Of The Sun (1:50)
9. Grey Shapes On Concrete Fields (4:42)
10. Keep The Faith (5:38)
11. The Silent Fighter Pilot (4:50)
- bonus tracks -
12. Temple Tudor (Piano Mix) (4:29)
13. The Dead Club (Berlin Headquarter Mix) (4:02)
14. Keep The Faith (Orchestral Mix) (5:34)
15. The Kino Funfair (1:00)

https://burningshed.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_261

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2018, 08:10:11 AM »
https://teamrock.com/news/2018-02-02/listen-to-brand-new-kino-track-the-dead-club

The first single is out! I like it, it's not too unlike Kino, but I hear a bit of Lonely Robot in there too.

-Marc.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2018, 11:23:44 PM »
First bit sounds a lot like Lonely Robot and then goes into a Frost* type vibe, hardly surprising though.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2018, 12:11:45 AM »
Considering that Kino includes the voice, guitar and drums of Lonely Robot, I'm not surprised at all to hear Lonely Robot in this new track.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2018, 06:07:56 AM »
Have you heard KINO's new track 'The Dead Club' yet? https://fb.me/MIBaWGQ2

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »

I did, 12 days ago when I posted about it 3 posts above yours ;)

It's a good track, but it's not quite as Kino-y as I'd hoped.

-Marc.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2018, 07:45:11 AM »

-Marc.

The rest of the album is definitely Kino-esque. Actually that's one thing I commented with John Mitchell when I interviewed him, their two albums are more than a decade apart, and yet there's an identity in their sound. The interview will be published 10 days before the album is released.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »

-Marc.

The rest of the album is definitely Kino-esque. Actually that's one thing I commented with John Mitchell when I interviewed him, their two albums are more than a decade apart, and yet there's an identity in their sound. The interview will be published 10 days before the album is released.

This instills me with great anticipation, then. Not that the released track wasn't BAD, but it just sounded more like Lonely Robot than Kino to me (but then again, at the time of listening to that track, I was listening to the two LR albums).

Glad to hear that, despite being 13 years apart, these two albums have a sound that they share. Cannot wait to read the interview, and hear the rest of the album!  :tup

-Marc.

Online Mladen

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
It's time for me to chime in.

My awkward story with Kino goes way back, probably 10 years at least. For whatever reason, I kept bumping into their debut album while browsing different music forums and sites. The album cover was the first thing that fascinated me. I'm trying to recall how I exactly became aware of the album. Maybe it has to do with me becoming a fan of Dream Theater and Spock's Beard at the time, but I also remember not knowing it's a prog album. I just recently realized Kino is a prog rock band, not just rock or not just pop, which I previosly thought they were. It's coming to me that I listened to samples on amazon and enjoyed some sticky pop hooks, so that might explain why I wasn't completely aware it's a prog band. I also remember wanting to pick up their album at a local music store, but going with Systematic chaos instead.

So finally, many years later, news came out that Kino is releasing a new album. Maybe it's time to check out Picture, huh?

Now, that's one good album. Loser's day parade is a terrific opener. From the opening prog riffs, through the Porcupine Tree groove-driven verses, to the Beatle-esque vocal harmonies, this song has it all. All you see is a huge favorite of mine, that chorus is one of the most infectious choruses I've heard in a long, long time, truly beautiful. I also enjoy Swimming in women and Leave a light on. There's plenty of stuff to dig into - this might be the best blend of pop, rock and prog I've heard since the Flying Colors debut. Although Steven Wilson's last album could be up there for me as well.

I'm looking forward to the new one.  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2018, 05:57:46 AM »
https://youtu.be/8KSphHgbV7I

New song with a lyric video posted this morning!

Sounds good, more Kino-y than the first one IMO.

-Marc.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2018, 07:56:51 AM »
https://youtu.be/8KSphHgbV7I

New song with a lyric video posted this morning!

Sounds good, more Kino-y than the first one IMO.

-Marc.

this is what I expected to hear when the other track was released.  Very good tune!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »
That's a fantastic song! I kinda forgot this was coming out. I'm looking forward to it now!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »
One week until release, and Inside Out have released one more track from the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSEhyBbQbYM

Personally, I may way to hear it until I have the whole thing, but if I change my mind, I'll post my thoughts on the song here later.

One more week, it feels SO CLOSE and unreal, considering it's been 13 years since their first album. I've avoided reviews just to keep my mind bias-free going into it, so I hope it lives up to my hype levels!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 02:26:38 AM »
Bumping this up because IT'S RELEASE DAY! :caffeine:

Hoping to get my copy today. I preordered it online on Wednesday, so hopefully it should be here at some point today. I'm really digging I Don't Know Why atm. That shift to C for the chorus is majestic!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »
Well, this kinda sounds like Lonely Robot doesn't it?  :P

Coincidences aside, I'm really enjoying the new album, it has a little bit of everything I like. Some powerful songs, some good prog, some mellower ones. Overall it's nice.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »
This is an incredible album! Progressive pop at its finest!

Initial observations:
- I got goosebumps when the guitar solo came in on the title track. What a way to begin the album!
- I love the lyrics to Idlewild. "The bitter truth is blinding you for staring at the sun." What a line!
- I could easily imagine Keep the Faith being done by Blackfield. Again, amazing track!

John Mitchell has been absolutely on fire over recent years, with Frost*, Lonely Robot and now this Kino album. I was already an admirer of his work as Arena's guitarist, but this is really quite spectacular!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2018, 01:45:17 PM »
Yeah, over the past few years John Mitchel has become one of my favorite musicians. Some of his stuff doesn't really float with me, like It Bites, or Gandalf's fist, but the rest of his bands and projects are all fantastic.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2018, 01:30:45 PM »
It's been about a week, has anyone else had a chance to spin the new album and want to share their thoughts? I've been busy with work, but I've listened to it a few times and I have to say, it's really good. Over-all, still very Kino-ish, but it's definitely got a Lonely Robot feel to it as well. There will, of course, be plenty of moments fans can point at and parallel it to other works by Mitchell, but that just might be the nature of his voice/playing and the music he writes.

After 13 years of waiting and loving the debut, this new album has a lot to live up to, but I think given some time and love, this one will be cherished as much as Picture in the future.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »
Radio Voltaire sounding like Lonely Robot is like Liquid Tension Experiment sounding like Dream Theater. It's like...what else do you expect when the bands in question intersect like they do? But when the music is as awesome as what John Mitchell has been doing the last few years with Lonely Robot and Frost*, surely more of that should be welcome. This poster certainly welcomes it.

Online Mladen

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2018, 04:09:52 AM »
I'm digging the new album quite a bit.

Stylistically, the debut sounded a bit more original to me, I could kind of hear the things that make this band unlike any other prog acts out there. Radio Voltaire sounds a bit like a more ordinary modern prog rock, if there is such thing. However, the songwriting is just as good, maybe even slightly better. I love Grey shapes, The Dead club and the title track. The last two songs also feature some great mellow, dark moments.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2018, 06:59:07 AM »
I finally got around to buying Arena's 'Unquiet Sky', for some reason I always though it wasn't so good.
But turns out its another very solid Arena album, with many elements of their classic sound.
New album is out next month.