Author Topic: High School Teacher Uses KKK Outfit in Class  (Read 3220 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
High School Teacher Uses KKK Outfit in Class
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:22:48 AM »
https://kdka.com/video/?id=76373@kdka.dayport.com

Well, my high school has now made national headlines due to this incident, in which one of my former history teachers, Dom Mioni, used a KKK uniform in his class. What's interesting is that it's something he's done repeatedly over the years, but nobody made a big deal about it until this week.

Personally, I think this is being blown out of proportion. He uses it as a legitimate educational tool, states that it's to be taken seriously, and tells students that they can opt out of the presentation if they're uncomfortable. The outpouring of support he's received from the community has actually been heartwarming. It's a shame he's had his name dragged through the mud over this, because I know he meant absolutely no harm.

Thoughts?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: High School Teacher Uses KKK Outfit in Class
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:27:59 AM »
Don't see the big deal in him doing that, as long as he doesn't promote hate, who cares?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 12:29:55 AM »
Don't see the big deal in him doing that, as long as he doesn't promote hate, who cares?
Apparently the NAACP does.

Online Adami

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 12:33:41 AM »
Apparently the NAACP does.

I still like Dr. Cox's suggestion that they change their name to the National Association for the Advancement of African Americans. Or NAAAA.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 12:42:09 AM »
The thing that bothers me the most is that racism is alive and well in rural Pennsylvania. It probably wouldn't take much digging to find a legitimate example. But instead someone decides to make a big deal out of this situation, and a good man gets his reputation tarnished in the process.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 09:21:03 AM »
Knowing how school districts work I bet this guy gets fired so the school doesn't have to deal with this for much longer.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 09:51:38 AM »
https://kdka.com/video/?id=76373@kdka.dayport.com

Well, my high school has now made national headlines due to this incident, in which one of my former history teachers, Dom Mioni, used a KKK uniform in his class. What's interesting is that it's something he's done repeatedly over the years, but nobody made a big deal about it until this week.

Personally, I think this is being blown out of proportion. He uses it as a legitimate educational tool, states that it's to be taken seriously, and tells students that they can opt out of the presentation if they're uncomfortable. The outpouring of support he's received from the community has actually been heartwarming. It's a shame he's had his name dragged through the mud over this, because I know he meant absolutely no harm.

Thoughts?
The NAACP is full of shit. I find it unlikely, even without you providing some context, that the guy would have the balls to dress up a student like a Klan member in a public high school unless he had a legitimate point to make. Listening to the Super Intendant very carefully explain the situation and how the lesson may be "offensive" from "their" perspective really highlights that in my mind.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
What was the actual purpose of the demonstration?  Of course I don't have a problem with it in general, but you always have to keep in mind how others might react.  It doesn't seem like there's enough educational value in the exercise to warrant the [stupid, but predictable] shitstorm that will likely follow. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
It may have been a stupid move, but if we fired every teacher who was stupid, we'd be out of teachers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »
Knowing how school districts work I bet this guy gets fired so the school doesn't have to deal with this for much longer.
Not gonna happen. They announced that they're going to adjust the curriculum to increase their focus on victims of discrimination and racism, and they're going to require teachers to participate in some type of sensitivity training.

What was the actual purpose of the demonstration?  Of course I don't have a problem with it in general, but you always have to keep in mind how others might react.  It doesn't seem like there's enough educational value in the exercise to warrant the [stupid, but predictable] shitstorm that will likely follow.  
As for the purpose of the demonstration, I think it's mainly to sort of bring the topic to life. You can talk about the history of the KKK and the things it has done, but actually seeing the uniform in front of you makes it a little bit more real and helps you to appreciate the issue more. It's like taking your class to a museum.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 11:28:40 AM »
For fuck's sake, the NAACP are atrocious. Wow. Does anyone take them seriously?

Offline j

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »
Not gonna happen. They announced that they're going to adjust the curriculum to increase their focus on victims of discrimination and racism, and they're going to require teachers to participate in some type of sensitivity training.

This kind of shit is so stupid and pointless.  I'm so sick and tired of all the "racism" bullshit in this country.  Does anybody really give a fuck about race?  Jesus Christ, this has to be the most moronic issue ever to permeate every aspect of a society.

/rage

What was the actual purpose of the demonstration?  Of course I don't have a problem with it in general, but you always have to keep in mind how others might react.  It doesn't seem like there's enough educational value in the exercise to warrant the [stupid, but predictable] shitstorm that will likely follow.  

Definitely.  I assume the teacher's intentions were pure, but that doesn't change the obvious risks he's taking by doing something like this.  It's just kind of unnecessary and I don't think it adds much educational value, particularly in light of the inevitable backlash if the wrong person happens to hear about it.

-J

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »
For fuck's sake, the NAACP are atrocious. Wow. Does anyone take them seriously?

It's an incredibly outdated group, that's for sure.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 04:51:34 PM »
Some people are dumb.  They think just the sight of something is bad even though it means nothing as long as theres no motive behind it.

as long as he doesn't promote hate, who cares?

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
They want to know why he has a grin on his face in the photo? lol NAACP.

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »
The NAACP is very much on my list of bloated outdated organizations that do more harm than good and need to be elliminated. Right behind the UN.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 01:16:31 AM »
They want to know why he has a grin on his face in the photo? lol NAACP.

Considering black people have been the only oppressed people in history why are you surprised that they overanalyzed this situation based on a grainy cell phone picture?

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 03:48:23 AM »

wtf is the internet?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 04:49:26 AM »
No.

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 10:08:48 AM »

Offline Vivace

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »
Okay this is simply ridiculous. 100% Ridiculous. So basically if I dress a student in a Nazi uniform, are Jews going to start raising their pitchforks? There is a BROAD difference between a show and tell lesson and a real lesson in hate. What the NAACP fails to realize here is that this teacher is actually HELPING them. But nope, they see the outfit, and it boils their blood. Kinda like if I were to hold a Koran next to a candle. I may be teaching kids about tolerance, but nope, let's take a photo complex out of context and be total selfish and arrogant over it.

Completely ridiculous!  :facepalm:
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"