Author Topic: Peter Gabriel Appreciation Thread  (Read 39055 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Peter Gabriel Appreciation Thread
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2023, 09:54:27 AM »
Anybody want to give a brief rundown of the differences between the Light Side and Dark Side mixes?

I finally decided to download a few with some free download credits I had that were going to expire but I can't listen to them because I'm getting over a ruptured ear drum. Hopefully within the week I can listen and compare

Sorry to hear about your ear problems... hope you get well soon.

I have decided to only buy/listen to the first released version of each song so I can't compare.

But here are some of Peter Gabriels words about the mixes.

My guess is that when the physical version/s are released both mixes will be available. So I'm holding out with getting the second mix until then.

“I’m lucky to have two of the world’s best mix engineers: Tchad Blake and Mark ‘Spike’ Stent, working with me on the music from ‘i/o,'” said Gabriel in a message to members of his Full Moon Club. “Rather than choosing only one of their mixes to release, I have decided that people should be able to hear all the great work that they are both doing.”
"I intend to ask them to mix each month’s song, with Spike’s mixes being called the ‘Bright-Side’ and Tchad’s the ‘Dark-Side,’ added Gabriel. “Whether you hear the ‘Bright-Side’ or the ‘Dark-Side’ first will vary each full moon, depending on the order we decide to release them. I know this amount of detail is not for everyone, but I hope those that are into their music production will enjoy their different interpretations.”

https://americansongwriter.com/peter-gabriel-starts-to-reveal-the-bright-and-dark-side-of-his-forthcoming-i-o-album/

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2023, 12:07:37 PM »
Anybody want to give a brief rundown of the differences between the Light Side and Dark Side mixes?

I finally decided to download a few with some free download credits I had that were going to expire but I can't listen to them because I'm getting over a ruptured ear drum. Hopefully within the week I can listen and compare

Sorry to hear that; hope you're back on track (pun intended) soon!

:lol

Sorry to hear about your ear problems... hope you get well soon.

I have decided to only buy/listen to the first released version of each song so I can't compare.

But here are some of Peter Gabriels words about the mixes.

My guess is that when the physical version/s are released both mixes will be available. So I'm holding out with getting the second mix until then.

“I’m lucky to have two of the world’s best mix engineers: Tchad Blake and Mark ‘Spike’ Stent, working with me on the music from ‘i/o,'” said Gabriel in a message to members of his Full Moon Club. “Rather than choosing only one of their mixes to release, I have decided that people should be able to hear all the great work that they are both doing.”
"I intend to ask them to mix each month’s song, with Spike’s mixes being called the ‘Bright-Side’ and Tchad’s the ‘Dark-Side,’ added Gabriel. “Whether you hear the ‘Bright-Side’ or the ‘Dark-Side’ first will vary each full moon, depending on the order we decide to release them. I know this amount of detail is not for everyone, but I hope those that are into their music production will enjoy their different interpretations.”

https://americansongwriter.com/peter-gabriel-starts-to-reveal-the-bright-and-dark-side-of-his-forthcoming-i-o-album/

Interesting. Thanks!

I don't blame you for not buying both. I only did so because I have the free credits. I'm actually against downloading (legally and illegally) but will do so if I only have no other choice and usually wait until I build up amazon no rush shipping credits.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2023, 12:26:24 PM »
I'm hoping for an artbook of the album with extra content. I would like to have some content unheard before I get it.
So that is the reason I only buy one of the mixes.

Buying them on Bandcamp I believe PG gets quite a good share so I have no qualms buying digitall downloads.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2023, 08:15:03 AM »
I/O Track List

01 Panopticom
02 Playing For Time
03 The Court
04 Four Kinds Of Horses
05 i/o
06 Love Can Heal
07 Road To Joy
08 So Much
09 Olive Tree
10 This Is Home
11 And Still
12 Live And Let Live

https://www.genesis-news.com/news-Peter-Gabriel-io-album-tracklist-revealed-n885.html?fbclid=IwAR0SKJB0ziUV45kUX3DeHHz9Qi-DarQF3tV4tyMrPILG97kbIJmXYEhB6Ms
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 08:22:21 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #284 on: July 29, 2023, 10:24:23 AM »
This is one of the strangest release cycles of any artist. Then again, Peter Gabriel is one of the most unusual recording artists of the last 50 years so I guess it's fitting.

I also just noticed he's releasing all of his songs with an "In-side Mix"  :facepalm:

Online nick_z

« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2023, 02:42:01 PM »
This is one of the strangest release cycles of any artist. Then again, Peter Gabriel is one of the most unusual recording artists of the last 50 years so I guess it's fitting.

I also just noticed he's releasing all of his songs with an "In-side Mix"  :facepalm:

Yeah, I kinda lost track of what he's been doing for this album. I guess he will eventually release it as an actual album?  :biggrin:

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2023, 02:54:11 PM »

Well.... he will get me to buy it twice and quite possibly a lot of others.

Buying the songs digitally as soon as they are released and I eill buy the physical album as well once it's released.

Hoping for a nice art-book of this as it's looking to become album of the year for me.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2023, 12:14:53 AM »

Yeah, I kinda lost track of what he's been doing for this album. I guess he will eventually release it as an actual album?  :biggrin:

Yeah, it's supposed to come out in the fall, or the winter...or the spring or summer...or sometime after that.

Buying the songs digitally as soon as they are released and I eill buy the physical album as well once it's released.

Hoping for a nice art-book of this as it's looking to become album of the year for me.

So far I love what I'm hearing. I never dove to deep into PG to be honest. I bought all the albums about 5 years ago and have mainly listened to the hits. Maybe this'll encourage me to actually dig into the albums more.

But I agree. Would love some type of deluxe package.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2023, 07:30:55 AM »

Yeah, it's supposed to come out in the fall, or the winter...or the spring or summer...or sometime after that.

So far I love what I'm hearing. I never dove to deep into PG to be honest. I bought all the albums about 5 years ago and have mainly listened to the hits. Maybe this'll encourage me to actually dig into the albums more.

But I agree. Would love some type of deluxe package.

"US", is, to me, one of the most immersive records I own.  It didn't make my top ten list, but it is always a solid, solid listen.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #289 on: August 22, 2023, 06:19:28 PM »
Panopticom Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMJGV7GWC5I

this is almost over stimulation in some ways, layer upon layer. Totally Gabriel though in that sense, and the social commentary of course.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2023, 09:19:15 PM »
Panopticom Video.

this is almost over stimulation in some ways, layer upon layer. Totally Gabriel though in that sense, and the social commentary of course.

whoa, this rules!! thanks for sharing
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online faizoff

« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2023, 10:00:47 PM »
Holy shit what a crazy video. I can't even fathom the amount of time it took to create that.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2023, 07:10:25 AM »
One of those videos you could watch 100 times and still see something new every time because there's so much going on.  But honestly, I don't think I'd watch it more than once or twice because it's really disturbing.  Impressive as hell, though.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2023, 08:07:28 AM »
Peter Gabriel!!!!!!!

What a video.... hope it's on the upcoming artbook that I hope for

Offline Harmony

« Reply #294 on: August 23, 2023, 12:25:34 PM »
One of those videos you could watch 100 times and still see something new every time because there's so much going on.  But honestly, I don't think I'd watch it more than once or twice because it's really disturbing.  Impressive as hell, though.

Yeah, that video totally turned me around on the song too.  For some reason, Panopticom never resonated with me.  I am coming around on it now.  It's funny to me thinking back on PG's catalogue and how many times I've listened to a track and didn't care for it at first and then with time and patience, those same tracks wound up being my favorites.

That video is fucking cool.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #295 on: August 24, 2023, 05:49:20 AM »
Amazing video! Also continues with the completely odd and nonsensical path to releasing the album. 

Release a single and then a bunch others. Then come back and release a video for the first single. Then go on tour. At some point, release the album.

« Reply #296 on: August 24, 2023, 08:29:00 AM »
Amazing video! Also continues with the completely odd and nonsensical path to releasing the album. 

Release a single and then a bunch others. Then come back and release a video for the first single. Then go on tour. At some point, release the album.

he's releasing a new song from the record every full moon, and every new moon there is a dark side mix of the previous song. presumably he'll be done by the time the tour starts
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #297 on: August 24, 2023, 02:44:10 PM »

That's two weeks from now and still no official word when the full physical album will be released

he's releasing a new song from the record every full moon, and every new moon there is a dark side mix of the previous song. presumably he'll be done by the time the tour starts

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #298 on: August 26, 2023, 06:57:08 PM »
Panopticom Video.

Spoiled again by Peter Gabriel.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: August 27, 2023, 12:48:41 AM »

The tour started long ago after just 4 songs were released.
I saw it on the 31st of May
Absolutely breathtaking

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2023, 05:09:05 PM »
peter gabriel's music found me at a time when i was lost and struggling. his tunes reached into me in a way nothing else could. they soothed me when i felt alone and got me when no one else did. his music gave me a reason to fight, to keep on, and to trust in better times. even now, when i'm low, his melodies wrap me up, all warm and snug.

and guess what? soon, i'll see him live! i can't wait for that moment, to be in the same space, to maybe shake his hand. it's like a dream taking shape.

anyway, sending good vibes to all. cherish his music, friends. it's got true magic. :hefdaddy
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2023, 06:16:31 PM »
Him, Robert Plant & Paul Simon stretched boundaries in music. It was everything I was searching for musically.   I admired them so much.

And in 2 plus weeks, I'm seeing Peter Gabriel. Can't wait.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2023, 06:21:00 PM »

That's two weeks from now and still no official word when the full physical album will be released

Holy shit I really screwed up the original quotes. Anyway, my response lost in that mess was "That's two weeks from now and still no official word when the full physical album will be released"

That's what I get for posting on a phone. I actually hate these things

The tour started long ago after just 4 songs were released.
I saw it on the 31st of May
Absolutely breathtaking

Ah yes. I was thinking about the U.S.

peter gabriel's music found me at a time when i was lost and struggling. his tunes reached into me in a way nothing else could. they soothed me when i felt alone and got me when no one else did. his music gave me a reason to fight, to keep on, and to trust in better times. even now, when i'm low, his melodies wrap me up, all warm and snug.

and guess what? soon, i'll see him live! i can't wait for that moment, to be in the same space, to maybe shake his hand. it's like a dream taking shape.

anyway, sending good vibes to all. cherish his music, friends. it's got true magic. :hefdaddy

That's awesome. I've never had a band that did that for me in the way you described. Bands that helped me through tough times just provided awesome music for me to obsess over to take my mind off things.

Had I fallen in love with Gabriel's music earlier, I could see maybe having a similar experience.

Genesis/Gabriel/Collins is special for my wife and I because we truly kind of fell in love with the music together about 10 years ago.

« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2023, 07:16:22 AM »

hey, i totally get what you're saying! peter gabriel's music has this way of reaching deep inside, ya know? it's like a lifeline when things are rough. his tunes just connect on a whole different level. i remember those times when i was down and out, and his melodies were like a friend. they kinda wrap around you and make you feel less alone. so awesome that you're gonna see him live soon! that's like the ultimate experience – sharing the same space with the artist who's been there for you. sending good vibes right back at ya. his music's pure magic, no doubt about it. 🎶 :metal
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2023, 10:47:10 AM »

That's awesome. I've never had a band that did that for me in the way you described. Bands that helped me through tough times just provided awesome music for me to obsess over to take my mind off things.

Had I fallen in love with Gabriel's music earlier, I could see maybe having a similar experience.

Genesis/Gabriel/Collins is special for my wife and I because we truly kind of fell in love with the music together about 10 years ago.

that's really beautiful, madman shepherd. it's amazing how music can impact people in such different ways. it's fantastic that you and your wife share a connection through genesis/gabriel/collins. i wish my ex-wife had appreciated gabriel in the same way, but unfortunately, she was more into midwestern emo. still, music has this uncanny ability to bring people together and create meaningful moments, sometimes.

hey, i totally get what you're saying! peter gabriel's music has this way of reaching deep inside, ya know? it's like a lifeline when things are rough. his tunes just connect on a whole different level. i remember those times when i was down and out, and his melodies were like a friend. they kinda wrap around you and make you feel less alone. so awesome that you're gonna see him live soon! that's like the ultimate experience – sharing the same space with the artist who's been there for you. sending good vibes right back at ya. his music's pure magic, no doubt about it. 🎶 :metal

totally feel you, thehoveringsojourn808! it's incredible how peter gabriel's music has this universal way of touching hearts and making people feel understood. that connection you described, where his melodies become like a friend during tough times, is spot on. and you're absolutely right about the live experience – it's like a culmination of all those feelings his music has evoked over time. thanks for sharing your thoughts and vibes! here's to the enduring magic of his music and the way it resonates with all of us :yarr
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2023, 07:03:01 PM »

that's really beautiful, madman shepherd. it's amazing how music can impact people in such different ways. it's fantastic that you and your wife share a connection through genesis/gabriel/collins. i wish my ex-wife had appreciated gabriel in the same way, but unfortunately, she was more into midwestern emo. still, music has this uncanny ability to bring people together and create meaningful moments, sometimes.

My wife and I have very different tastes but there is some crossover. She likes Dream Theater, Ghost, and a variety of others and will come with me to shows. I made the mistake of bringing her to Dark Funeral and Venom Inc. which will not happen again.

With Genesis, I got Invisible Touch on a whim...I think because I had heard Disturbed's version of Land of Confusion and made me think of seeing the video on repeat in the 80s and liking the song I Can't Dance as a kid. I wasn't expecting to love Invisible Touch but I did. Slowly I got the rest of the albums and it was so cool to be able to tell my wife, "Hey, I finally got one of the Peter Gabriel era albums" and listening to it and discussing how bizarre it was, even a little off putting, and then humming a part we remembered and going back and listening to it until an obsession grew. I started reading biographies and telling her the stories behind the albums. She has a knack for hearing lyrics perfectly and remembering them and we would analyze what they meant. I guess I forgot to mention we used to go on looooooooooooooong road trips to Alaska, Newfoundland, and everywhere in between so we had a ton of material to fill the time.

We would even get in debates about which singer sang what better. For the record, I think Phil does I Know What I Like better and I even gotta say I almost like Ray Wilson's Carpet Crawlers better than the other two. Even though Phil is amazing on Supper's Ready, nothing can top Gabriel on that one.

When we finally got to see Genesis 2 years ago and from 10th row at that, it was pretty emotional. Sure Phil wasn't at his best but the rest of the band was still amazing. My son was a few months away from being born so technically we can say Genesis was his first concert!

« Reply #306 on: August 31, 2023, 07:10:14 AM »
any others hitting up petey gabey on tour? i'm so fucking pumped, will be my third time catching him
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2023, 07:26:01 AM »
speak of the devil, new tune just dropped!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5JFGeKRQo
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2023, 08:14:40 AM »
any others hitting up petey gabey on tour? i'm so fucking pumped, will be my third time catching him

Hitting the Chicago! This would be my 2nd time seeing him (saw him during the New Blood tour).

« Reply #309 on: August 31, 2023, 08:18:06 AM »

Hitting the Chicago! This would be my 2nd time seeing him (saw him during the New Blood tour).

hell yeah!

i saw the Up tour in 2003, the So anniversary tour like 8-10ish years ago and now this upcoming one! he's one of the best live acts out there for sure
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: August 31, 2023, 12:43:30 PM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #311 on: September 06, 2023, 10:37:33 AM »
"The music video tells a story of what life would be like if we were to change things or make an insignificant choice. The power of AI and stable diffusion lies in its ability to transport Peter to any location, dress in any fashion and experience dimensions beyond the real world." - Junie Lau

Junie's Official Video for Peter's 'The Court' (Dark-Side Mix) is out now!

#stabilityai #stablediffusion #diffusetogether

https://youtu.be/6chvzqAVCnI

Looks like Peter supports AI Art...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #312 on: September 06, 2023, 03:11:00 PM »
"The music video tells a story of what life would be like if we were to change things or make an insignificant choice. The power of AI and stable diffusion lies in its ability to transport Peter to any location, dress in any fashion and experience dimensions beyond the real world." - Junie Lau

Junie's Official Video for Peter's 'The Court' (Dark-Side Mix) is out now!

#stabilityai #stablediffusion #diffusetogether

https://youtu.be/6chvzqAVCnI

Looks like Peter supports AI Art...

-Marc.

What a crazy video.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #313 on: September 06, 2023, 05:13:31 PM »

I will be at the show in St.Paul on October 3rd. Been waiting over 20 years to finally see him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #314 on: September 15, 2023, 05:01:09 AM »
What a show last night.

The songs
The musicianship
The visuals

All mind blowing.   The versatility of the musicians were amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC