Author Topic: Peter Gabriel Appreciation Thread  (Read 38100 times)

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Peter Gabriel Appreciation Thread
« Reply #245 on: November 08, 2022, 01:18:14 PM »
I think Ane Brun did a GREAT job on the New Blood version. Her voice is extremely fragile, it sounds beautiful.
No. Horrible beyond belief. (wrong notes too) Check Jennie Abrahamson's version in 2013 and 2014 for reference. His best partner that wasn't Kate.

Will be seeing Jennie Abrahamsson in a Kate Bush tribute cocert on tuesday.... she is fantastic
yeah, saw her on Peter's last tour in 2014. One of the best concerts I ever attended, and I'm very hard to impress. (the original band that did So was on this tour and the entire album was played in the second half, absolutely brilliant)

Yeah I saw that tour too. It was great.

Saw Growing Up Lve too and Secret World live too before that.

Secret World to me is the best concert I have ever seen.

Will try to get tickets for the upcoming tour on friday.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #246 on: November 08, 2022, 11:15:12 PM »
I think Ane Brun did a GREAT job on the New Blood version. Her voice is extremely fragile, it sounds beautiful.
No. Horrible beyond belief. (wrong notes too) Check Jennie Abrahamson's version in 2013 and 2014 for reference. His best partner that wasn't Kate.

Will be seeing Jennie Abrahamsson in a Kate Bush tribute cocert on tuesday.... she is fantastic
yeah, saw her on Peter's last tour in 2014. One of the best concerts I ever attended, and I'm very hard to impress. (the original band that did So was on this tour and the entire album was played in the second half, absolutely brilliant)

Yeah I saw that tour too. It was great.

Saw Growing Up Lve too and Secret World live too before that.

Secret World to me is the best concert I have ever seen.

Will try to get tickets for the upcoming tour on friday.

https://www.genesis-fanclub.de/c-Peter-Gabriel-IO-The-Tour-2023-Termine-und-Tickets-s1030.html?fbclid=IwAR0oljNyGk-127i_Z1dSpVh_V2CBHjdlc5qafv-eS1riiC3FTmBWDDlzlLE

Somehow, if you follow this link, you can already get tickets for many shows.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 12:11:45 AM by Fritzinger »
any rock can be made to roll

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2022, 12:01:17 AM »
I'm the guy who thinks Gabriel never made a bad solo album.
yeah me too (possible exception being PG2, but then again, I don't hate that one either)

I think II is great, way better than I. It seems so somber and fragile, very unique.

I'm not a huge fan of I or II, though both have their moments.

And I'm a big fan of I, could be his best album actually. II doesn't do much for me though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2022, 05:22:44 AM »
II might actually be my favorite solo album of his. It's both accessible and eccentric at the same time. That side A is just perfect, every song is fantastic.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: November 11, 2022, 02:58:34 AM »
Yey..... scored tickets on row 8 in Stockholm  for me and 3 friends.

Expensive yes.... but going to be worth it!
1660 SEK per ticket, about $140

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #250 on: November 12, 2022, 06:38:32 PM »

I'm going to see if this tour is feasible for us. I wonder if the New Blood Orchestra will be involved...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #251 on: November 12, 2022, 08:19:00 PM »

By today's standards, that's not bad at all.  I'd be all over a ticket at that price if he came to the States and hit STL.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #252 on: November 12, 2022, 11:18:17 PM »

I'm going to see if this tour is feasible for us. I wonder if the New Blood Orchestra will be involved...

I highly doubt he will bring an orchestra on tour. That was just to support his orchestra albums, right?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2022, 10:25:25 AM »

I highly doubt he will bring an orchestra on tour. That was just to support his orchestra albums, right?

You're right. Just wishful thinking on my part. Wish I'd gotten to see that show. I really love the studio and live New Blood material.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2022, 01:08:29 PM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2022, 02:20:17 PM »
Teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dblnJuCnja4

Hey, that sounds pretty good! Sounds like his voice has held up in the ages since his last release (New Blood was 11 years ago!).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2022, 03:00:20 AM »
Teaser:

Hey, that sounds pretty good! Sounds like his voice has held up in the ages since his last release (New Blood was 11 years ago!).

Well, you never know when this was recorded. He's been working on i/o for 20 years now  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2022, 09:10:23 AM »
Teaser:

Well, you never know when this was recorded. He's been working on i/o for 20 years now  :lol

Ha, yeah, those vocals could have been done forever ago I suppose!

Offline majo

« Reply #258 on: December 10, 2022, 03:53:34 AM »
a comment from the internet...

"Here's what's gonna happen. You're gonna read my newsletter. In that newsletter they'll be a link for a teaser. Watch it with the volume up. Even if it's not for you, you're gonna proceed to the official site. You're gonna give me your email address and I'll notify you when the album's ready. The tour too. You're gonna pump money into both because you're at the age where you really don't have a choice. Will be as good as the old stuff? No. But, and I can't say this strongly enough, you're going to keep quiet about it."

:biggrin:
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #259 on: January 05, 2023, 03:00:08 PM »
new song tomorrow January 6th, 2023 per the newsletter

Happy New Year to you all! Here we are again, it’s almost the full moon – told you it would be here before we knew it - and we’re back with Part One of our first update of 2023. And it’s a big one…

Friday, 6 January will see the release of the first new song from Peter Gabriel’s forthcoming album i/o. Written and produced by Peter, Panopticom was recorded at Real World Studios in Wiltshire and The Beehive in London. The track is accompanied by a cover image by the artist David Spriggs (above).

When you open up your preferred digital music platform tomorrow (or today, depending on where you are in the world!), the track will be there for your listening pleasure. We hope you like it.

The first song is based on an idea I have been working on to initiate the creation of an infinitely expandable accessible data globe: The Panopticom. We are beginning to connect a like-minded group of people who might be able to bring this to life, to allow the world to see itself better and understand more of what’s really going on.

Musically, Panopticom drives along powered by the engine-room of long-time collaborators Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché, underpinned by haunting electronics from Brian Eno. Additional backing vocals come from Ríoghnach Connolly of The Breath. The lyric is, in part, inspired by the extraordinary work of three groups, Forensic Architecture, Bellingcat and the Gabriel co-founded pioneering human rights organisation WITNESS.

We’ll be back tomorrow with Part Two, where you’ll find out a bit more about Panopticom and the plans for future releases of new songs, but suffice to say the full moon is going to continue to be at the centre of things...

Happy listening and see you tomorrow.

Offline HOF

« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2023, 03:23:48 PM »
new song tomorrow January 6th, 2023 per the newsletter

Happy New Year to you all! Here we are again, it’s almost the full moon – told you it would be here before we knew it - and we’re back with Part One of our first update of 2023. And it’s a big one…

Friday, 6 January will see the release of the first new song from Peter Gabriel’s forthcoming album i/o. Written and produced by Peter, Panopticom was recorded at Real World Studios in Wiltshire and The Beehive in London. The track is accompanied by a cover image by the artist David Spriggs (above).

When you open up your preferred digital music platform tomorrow (or today, depending on where you are in the world!), the track will be there for your listening pleasure. We hope you like it.

The first song is based on an idea I have been working on to initiate the creation of an infinitely expandable accessible data globe: The Panopticom. We are beginning to connect a like-minded group of people who might be able to bring this to life, to allow the world to see itself better and understand more of what’s really going on.

Musically, Panopticom drives along powered by the engine-room of long-time collaborators Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché, underpinned by haunting electronics from Brian Eno. Additional backing vocals come from Ríoghnach Connolly of The Breath. The lyric is, in part, inspired by the extraordinary work of three groups, Forensic Architecture, Bellingcat and the Gabriel co-founded pioneering human rights organisation WITNESS.

We’ll be back tomorrow with Part Two, where you’ll find out a bit more about Panopticom and the plans for future releases of new songs, but suffice to say the full moon is going to continue to be at the centre of things...

Happy listening and see you tomorrow.

Nice!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #261 on: January 06, 2023, 07:02:44 AM »
I like the new track quite a bit. Wasn't following much news regarding his new album but interesting concept based on the Moon phases.

Peter Gabriel - Panopticom
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline HOF

« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2023, 07:34:16 AM »
I like the new track quite a bit. Wasn't following much news regarding his new album but interesting concept based on the Moon phases.

Peter Gabriel - Panopticom

Ooh, very nice. Really looking forward to this album now!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2023, 10:14:23 AM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2023, 12:04:30 PM »
I really like this track too. Just wish I could listen to the whole album now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2023, 11:24:16 AM »
I'm digging the new songs. Seeing as so far, both mixes are only out for "Panopticom", I tried listening to both mixes at the same time! I have to say, This Is The Way. Peter's voice doesn't get muddled or accentuated, but the music hits that much harder in some areas, and it's rather grand. The groove really hits. I can't wait for the Bright-Side mix of "The Court" to try it with that song as well. This might be a quadraphonic experience album....
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2023, 08:08:37 AM »
New track posted

Playing For Time (Dark Side Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swOrAJGBWw&ab_channel=PeterGabriel

Got a nice Book of love vibe going on and I really love the ending of the track.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #267 on: March 07, 2023, 08:57:13 AM »
part of the latest newsletter...

North American Tour Fall 2023...

The arrival of the Full Moon update Part Two means it's time to announce the North American Tour that we've been promising for a while!

The North American leg of i/o - The Tour, produced by Live Nation, will find Peter Gabriel performing in Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Stay tuned for future tour date announcements in Washington, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Paul, Denver, Austin, Dallas and Houston.

i/o - The Tour will see Peter playing new material from his forthcoming album i/o, as well as delving into his peerless catalogue of music, with hits, fan favourites and the unexpected. For the shows, he will be joined by regular band-mates Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché.

Tickets go on general sale on Friday 10 March at 10am Local Time, but by being signed-up to this mailing list you are able to access the
FAN PRESALE today, Tuesday 7 March, from 12NOON EST.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #268 on: March 10, 2023, 02:23:21 PM »
Got tickets for Chicago. Fucking stoked! Will be nice to see the full PG production. The only time I saw him was in Dallas with the New Blood production.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: May 09, 2023, 12:44:51 PM »
Was holding out for the album but now I caved inn and bought all songs so far released from Bandcamp.

Really looving them.... great 5 song EP.

Will be seeing him on the 31st of May here i Stockholm. Row 8.... So stoked.

Have seen him thrice before.
- Secret World Live      1993 (best concertI have ever seen)
- Growing Up Live        2003  (amazingly good)
- Back to Front              2014  (really good)

Hoping for another really good concert

Offline HOF

« Reply #270 on: May 09, 2023, 01:01:04 PM »
Had been trying to wait for the album as well, but did hear another of the new songs the other night and really liked it. Do we even have a release date yet?

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2023, 11:04:42 AM »
Seeing the concert in Stockholm tomorrow.  So exited...

Has anyone here seen it yet?

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: June 04, 2023, 03:13:49 AM »
It was a totally amazing show..... I wrote about it in the Concerts 2023 thread.

Anyway, today is a full moon.... new PG song, Road to Joy, heard it live on wednesday and it was good. Now I can lsten to it again and again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #273 on: June 04, 2023, 05:29:30 AM »
Seeing him in September!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #274 on: June 04, 2023, 06:27:57 AM »
Had been trying to wait for the album as well, but did hear another of the new songs the other night and really liked it. Do we even have a release date yet?

He's releasing it track by track, one a month to coincide with each new moon (and on the half moon he releases a different mix of the track. Bit of an oddball is our Pete). We're 6 tracks in now, about halfway through, so the full thing should be released at the end of the year or thereabouts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2023, 06:31:53 AM »
I am long overdue for a PG binge, but I will wait till this whole album is out to check out the songs and go down that rabbit hole.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2023, 06:40:48 AM »
I am long overdue for a PG binge, but I will wait till this whole album is out to check out the songs and go down that rabbit hole.

You have a lot of good stuff to look forward to.
I think I have heard the full album live (or at least 11 songs) and six of the songs in studio versions.
It will be a great record.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #277 on: June 05, 2023, 06:27:48 PM »
I'm really digging Road to Joy.  It is eerily close to Kiss That Frog but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

So fun to drive to.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #278 on: June 05, 2023, 09:29:03 PM »
Anybody want to give a brief rundown of the differences between the Light Side and Dark Side mixes?

I finally decided to download a few with some free download credits I had that were going to expire but I can't listen to them because I'm getting over a ruptured ear drum. Hopefully within the week I can listen and compare

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2023, 05:32:36 AM »
Anybody want to give a brief rundown of the differences between the Light Side and Dark Side mixes?

I finally decided to download a few with some free download credits I had that were going to expire but I can't listen to them because I'm getting over a ruptured ear drum. Hopefully within the week I can listen and compare

Sorry to hear that; hope you're back on track (pun intended) soon!