Author Topic: McDonald's to drop employee health coverage  (Read 5796 times)

Offline William Wallace

McDonald's to drop employee health coverage
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:10:53 AM »
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wirestory?id=11761839&page=1
McDonald's Corp may cut health insurance for its nearly 30,000 hourly workers unless U.S. regulators waive a requirement of new health care legislation championed by President Barack Obama, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing a company memo...

Greedy pricks! How much money is enough? What about social justice?!  >:(

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: McDonald's to drop employee health coverage
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »
Sure. Why would they pay for your healthcare when the government is already planning to start giving you the barebones, shitty coverage that they currently are?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:18:44 AM »
wow... I think like most Cos they are concerened with the "unknowns" with Obamas plan for Healthcare, many companies are struggling with what Healthcare will cost , we know its going up, and what the Co will be responsible for, etc. Many Cos will not hire with this looming also..
its sad...that stinks.

Im not sure but they are franchises? does the franchise owner bear any of the costs? or does corporate pay that?
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »
Only a Libertarian would start a thread trumpeting the loss of medical coverage as a triumph of society.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:38:54 AM »
Wow, that's shitty coverage.  $32 a month for a policy that'll be wiped out after one day of hospitalization?  It seems to me that the employees will be better off. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:42:41 AM »
Only a Libertarian would start a thread trumpeting the loss of medical coverage as a triumph of society.

rumborak
I'm not happy with the decision. If anything, it displays how unintended consequences can seriously fuck up well intentioned policies. It's too bad these kinds of outcomes weren't more thoroughly considered before the health care legislation was passed. Oops.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:49:15 AM »
Wow, that's shitty coverage.  $32 a month for a policy that'll be wiped out after one day of hospitalization?  It seems to me that the employees will be better off. 

I'm amazed they even give coverage to hourly employees.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:14:13 AM »

I'm amazed they even give coverage to hourly employees.

This.  The fact that the snot-nosed teenager who works the frier and fucks up my order every time is getting ANY health coverage is kinda surprising to me.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »
the question is will the kids be happy "having to purchase the Obamacare" since  many compnaies will not offer healthcare through the Co. If the kids dont buy it they can be fined for not buying it.

as a Kid I didnt want nor need healthcare coverage..and certinaly would not want to have to buy it..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 11:19:22 AM »
as a Kid I didnt want nor need healthcare coverage..and certinaly would not want to have to buy it..

:facepalm:

You don't need health insurance, til the day you get sick.

rumborak

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
the question is will the kids be happy "having to purchase the Obamacare" since  many compnaies will not offer healthcare through the Co. If the kids dont buy it they can be fined for not buying it.

I'm 20 years old and have had serious, unexpected problems crop up for the past 5 years. I'm glad I have health insurance because of it; otherwise I wouldn't have a feeding tube and I would never have had reconstructive knee surgeries.

the extension of benefits of 'kids' until the age of 26 is one of the best things about this because now I don't have to worry about losing my coverage when I get out of school; I still desperately need it

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 11:38:07 AM »

When you were a kid, a trip to the emergency room probably wouldn't have saddled you with crippling debt for the next 10 years (or forced you into bankruptcy).  I'm still trying to pay off medical expenses from over 2 years ago, despite the fact that I was very well insured at the time. 

And by the way, they won't be required to purchase Obamacare; that would be better.  They'll be required to purchase from Aetna and Blue Cross--poor bastards.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »

I'm 20 years old and have had serious, unexpected problems crop up for the past 5 years. I'm glad I have health insurance because of it; otherwise I wouldn't have a feeding tube and I would never have had reconstructive knee surgeries.

the extension of benefits of 'kids' until the age of 26 is one of the best things about this because now I don't have to worry about losing my coverage when I get out of school; I still desperately need it

hello PLM,
how are you feeling today? I hope better... wishing you a speedy recovery

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »

And by the way, they won't be required to purchase Obamacare; that would be better.  They'll be required to purchase from Aetna and Blue Cross--poor bastards.
One of the biggest problems with the legislation.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »
Open competition and portability to me seems like the only way to keep costs low..and to keep the Drs employed

I also am an advocate of Healthcare savings accts ( HSA) that are non taxable and that you own, so your money is not wasted..

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 12:37:37 PM »
Open competition can't happen because of the extraordinary obfuscation that goes on in medicine.  Does anybody know what their kid's tonsillectomy will cost at different hospitals?  Unfortunately, the rogering you get from the hospital is separate from the buggerings you'll get from the surgeon, the anesthesiologist, the lab technicians, and the radiologists.  Then you'll have everybody getting different negotiated rates with the various insurance carriers.  There can't be any open competition in a system as fucked up as ours (yes, I know it's the greatest system in the world!  ::)).

And I'd be tempted to say fuck the doctors too, since they're really one of the root causes of the whole mess, but it's honestly not their fault.  Any system that forces people to rack up 300k in dept to become a doctor is pretty screwed up.  At that point, it's no surprise that nobody wants to practice family medicine in Baumfoque, South Dakota. 

And HSAs, like many other political pipe dreams, overlook human nature.  Nobody's really going to put money into an HSA that could better be spent on a 64" plasma screen and a new Escalade to replace the one from 4 years ago. 
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 12:50:04 PM »
Good post EB^

I hear ya.. but really HSA is the way in my opinion, it should be deducted from ones paycheck like money into a 401k. employer can match etc
as both are quite similar and is YOUR money to be used when needed. its far more equitable then paying for a coverage that one may not want or use and that money is gone at the end of the year if not used..to me thats like "leasing a car, that you dont need, and you dont drive"..as opposed to saving for a car if one needs one, knowing they will one day..
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:03:22 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 02:48:25 PM »
Epicview, I do not have the impression you understand the concept of insurances. Insurances aren't accounts into which you drop money that you deduct if unused. If they were, you could never expect to get $100,000 after having paid $100 to that point, which is exactly what you get with an insurance.

rumborak
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:03:26 PM by rumborak »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »
I'll admit I don't have the best insurance, but I pay 90 something bucks a month. I just had about 1300 dollars in blood work done, they paid...wait for it......70 dollars. Yea, I pay more per month than they paid all together.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »
I haven't been hospitalized since birth, and have not been considerably sick (enough to stop me from doing any day-to-day activities) in 8 years.  Epicview would probably consider me the poster-child for private insurance.

That being said, I'd still take a universal health care system any day of the week.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
I'll admit I don't have the best insurance, but I pay 90 something bucks a month. I just had about 1300 dollars in blood work done, they paid...wait for it......70 dollars. Yea, I pay more per month than they paid all together.
Well, insurance is basically there to protect you from financial ruin, so were you surprised?  You should always assume that you will lose good money from insurance since they are rarely companies losing money and have to cover major bills for some clients.  Ignoring any subsidized policies, only the small percentage of people that end up with major claims really make money compared to if they did not have insurance.

Insurance is just protection from the potential event you could not handle financially, not a social service.  If you could anticipate insurance paying for itself it would almost surely be a scam.  Most people will, of course, be saving money for most of their lives by not having insurance.  They're just screwed if something really bad happens.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »
Yet, insurance doesn't prevent financial ruin, either.  You get sick and suddenly your out of pocket shoots up to 17k a year.  Medical expenses cause the majority of bankruptcies, and three quarters of those are from people who had insurance at the time of onset.  Yeah Amerika!

The sad part is that they probably jacked up the cost of the work because you were using insurance.  I'll bet that if you had said you were uninsured, they would have done the work a lot cheaper.  I learned that lesson with an MRI a long time ago. 
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 05:25:50 PM »

This is scary, and I've been there of late.  I would like to be as hopfull like EV on competition but ElBarto is right that it won't happen.  You know, that's why I always bitch about the lack of choices for employees yet the insurance companies have no check and balences when it comes to their prices.  You have from your employer mabye 3 choices of health bennies.  Ir doesn't seem right.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »
Yet, insurance doesn't prevent financial ruin, either.  You get sick and suddenly your out of pocket shoots up to 17k a year.  Medical expenses cause the majority of bankruptcies, and three quarters of those are from people who had insurance at the time of onset.  Yeah Amerika!
What I said didn't imply insurance will always save you, especially since that's dependent on your policy, which you negotiate with a company probably trying to profit and could even be scam like.  What I said is just the basics of what to expect from insurance financial workings.  You expect to lose money by having insurance, if you didn't the industry would fail.  You basically can't expect real benefit anywhere outside really bad scenarios.

Purchasing a policy should be based on paying what you could not handle financially without.  That's not just for medical insurance, that's just what insurance is.  Nothing guarantees people are going to buy insurance based on that premise.  Really, policies that don't follow that basic idea are likely very beneficial to the insurance carrier.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 12:00:01 AM »
Open competition can't happen because of the extraordinary obfuscation that goes on in medicine.  Does anybody know what their kid's tonsillectomy will cost at different hospitals?  Unfortunately, the rogering you get from the hospital is separate from the buggerings you'll get from the surgeon, the anesthesiologist, the lab technicians, and the radiologists.  Then you'll have everybody getting different negotiated rates with the various insurance carriers.  There can't be any open competition in a system as fucked up as ours (yes, I know it's the greatest system in the world!  ::)).
How would these be problems if we simply allow people to buy insurance from companies that aren't based in their state?

And HSAs, like many other political pipe dreams, overlook human nature.  Nobody's really going to put money into an HSA that could better be spent on a 64" plasma screen and a new Escalade to replace the one from 4 years ago. 
But, fuck off. Why do you get to make that decision for everyone?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »
Because:

A.  maintaining the current system of everybody paying for insurance doesn't solve the bigger problems that you don't seem to recognize even exists.  Getting sick in the country is financially devastating, and Aetna isn't going to prevent that.  The problem is the cost of healthcare, not whether or not somebody covers 80% of the first 40k. 

B.  Because when people don't prepare for their own healthcare, you and I will be paying for it anyway.  I personally don't subscribe to your fantasy that the majority of Americans will be responsible and that those who don't will be helped by philanthropic billionaires and corporations. 
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »
I haven't been hospitalized since birth, and have not been considerably sick (enough to stop me from doing any day-to-day activities) in 8 years.  Epicview would probably consider me the poster-child for private insurance.

That being said, I'd still take a universal health care system any day of the week.

How can you say that? "You would take unviersal Health care any day of the week"? from all signs it will be a be a beurocratic nightmare and you can kiss goodbye the standard of healthcare we have today...

granted, you have not had to use any healthcare, so I dont know how you are so sure of what healthcare is best? we dont even know what Obamacare really is ..all we know was it was a power grab and more class warfare..
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:16:06 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
I haven't been hospitalized since birth, and have not been considerably sick (enough to stop me from doing any day-to-day activities) in 8 years.  Epicview would probably consider me the poster-child for private insurance.

How can you say that? "You would take unviersal Health care any day of the week"? from all signs it will be a be a beurocratic nightmare and you can kiss goodbye the standard of healthcare we have today...

granted, you have not had to use any healthcare, so I dont know how you are so sure of what healthcare is best? we dont even know what Obamacare really is ..all we know was it was a power grab and more class warfare..

Well being that he's Canadian I think he's quite well versed in what Universal Health Care is like. I seriously have to wonder if you guys know how screwed up your system seems from the outside.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »
Hell, some of us even know how screwed up it is from the inside. 
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »
and some of us KNOW that the Canadien healthcare is inferior as far as quality and wait time to the American system.

I really have no complaints with the current system here in the USA, my wife has used it often, its not perfect, but the quality of the care and technology appears to be the best.

all I know is that those who can afford it from other countries come to the USA for treatment.

I most worried about that aspect.. quality

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »

hello PLM,
how are you feeling today? I hope better... wishing you a speedy recovery

I'm feeling fine, thanks

Don't take your good health for granted; it could fail you at any time.

Personally, I'd much rather have it there for me if I need it.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 09:58:15 AM »
PLM,

Glad you are feeling much better..

Im very happy the healthcare , technology and care was there for you!!!

I agree.. embrace the day..live it and love it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »
and some of us KNOW that the Canadien healthcare is inferior as far as quality and wait time to the American system.

I really have no complaints with the current system here in the USA, my wife has used it often, its not perfect, but the quality of the care and technology appears to be the best.

all I know is that those who can afford it from other countries come to the USA for treatment.

I most worried about that aspect.. quality
No dice, Holmes.  If you have cancer, you're better off being treated in America, as long as you can afford the medications.  Outside of that, American healthcare is a mixed bag.  Better in some areas, worse in others.  And this is only for the people who actually do get treated.  In any case, definitely not the best.  By most measures (outside of cancer), Canadians get better treatment.  While they do have to wait longer in many instances, that's because their doctors keep defecting to America to make more money.  Imagine that. 

Ridiculously long URL to an article comparing quality of care in America (for people who can afford it)

E.F. Benson

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 10:24:15 AM »
Because:

A.  maintaining the current system of everybody paying for insurance doesn't solve the bigger problems that you don't seem to recognize even exists.  Getting sick in the country is financially devastating, and Aetna isn't going to prevent that.  The problem is the cost of healthcare, not whether or not somebody covers 80% of the first 40k. 
The current system sucks in many ways, no argument there. But I don't want the current system. Allowing people to shop across state lines for their insurance would naturally create competition among the various insurance providers. I realize more needs to be done, but it's a start.  

B.  Because when people don't prepare for their own healthcare, you and I will be paying for it anyway.  I personally don't subscribe to your fantasy that the majority of Americans will be responsible and that those who don't will be helped by philanthropic billionaires and corporations. 
But allowing people to start HSAs may prevent some of the problems your highlighting with health insurance. A savings account dedicated to health care expenses, coupled with a high deductible insurance policy, could be used to prevent people from going bankrupt as a result of having their finger sewed back on, or whatever. There's also the benefit of avoiding the fist fuck that will come with Medicare's inevitable collapse.  

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
I lived in Canada and my wife is a Canadian permanent resident.  Why were friends of mine in their 20's unable to get surgery I could get in a week in the US?  That's an ACL reconstruction, and in Canada he would have had to wait at least a year to get it.  However he was already guilted by the system into believing if he had the surgery he would prevent someone from getting hip surgery.  Why were the news starting to jump on the fact that Canada was increasingly shipping patients to the US for rarer problems in order to save money and ease backups?

Complain about private health insurance not servicing everyone, but don't forget so called universal health care systems don't either.