Author Topic: The "Misunderstood" Appreciation Thread  (Read 16071 times)

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Re: The "Misunderstood" Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 09:41:46 AM »
Their absolute best <10 min song

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 05:36:10 PM »
I had this song come on as my alarm one morning. It didn't leave my head for the rest of the day.

It was a :metal day.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »
I love it, but the older I get, the more unbearable the ending gets.

*still appreciates*  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
There was a time I used to spam this song.  I agree that it drags on for waaay too long, though.  Y'see TGP, BF, Disappear, and 6DOIT are pretty much flawless, and it's only for that reason that Misunderstood ranks so low for me.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ehra

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
I remember at one point having to argue tooth and nail here that the outro was even "real music" with someone. Great to see the song getting the appreciation it deserves, one of my absolute favorites.  :tup

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Brilliant song. The ending solo doesn't manage to ruin for me.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »
The ending is great.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »
The end is commonly misunderstood. :neverusethis:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
Love it. it blew my mind though when my friend showed me the similarities between it and Lenny Kravitz's "Believe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z5hsEfwkE8
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 08:22:10 PM »
Love it. it blew my mind though when my friend showed me the similarities between it and Lenny Kravitz's "Believe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z5hsEfwkE8
Sereously? I didn't watch the whole thing, but couldn't hear Misunderstood in there.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »
The end is commonly misunderstood. :neverusethis:

The whole song is misunderstood. :neverusethis:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 10:32:11 AM »
I like the version on the greatest hits without all of the crap at the end.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »
Their absolute best <10 min song

This, in my top 5 DT songs now.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 08:47:10 AM »
I've always loved this song from the get-go even though it was very Black Hole Sun-ish. Would've liked a live DVD version of this.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »
The second verse and second chorus in this song. That is all.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 12:18:06 PM »
I like it. Don't love it, don't hate it. But its got a sweet mid-range spot for me.

Same here.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »
One of my least favourites definitely

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »
I love this song too.  I don't understand why it's not on any official video releases.  As a matter of fact I've found any videos of it to be difficult to find.  Anyone else share this frustration?

Offline Cable

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »
The song is fucking amazing until the stupid screechy guitar.  The outro in general is just very drawn out.  Not bad or anything (except for the screechy part) but it lasts FOREVER.
My thoughts exactly.
Misunderstood (Edit) > Misunderstood (Album Version)

I will take the whole song vs. the edit, but I understand it both ways.

I almost wonder if the (I think) low B distorted guitar riff that leads to the solo and into the outro would have been better at the beginning or something. That way it's not a two headed animal of a song, and would flow just a smidge better into the outro.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:23:32 PM by CableX 1814 »
---

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »
awesome song.  A definite favorite of mine.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
I love Misunderstood. I'm surprised at the negativity the ending is getting. I think it's totally awesome, proggy, Red-era-King-Crimson-inspired goodness.  :hefdaddy
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
Love everything about this song (yes, including the ending). Definitely my favorite from SDOIT (and that's saying something)

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
I love Misunderstood. I'm surprised at the negativity the ending is getting. I think it's totally awesome, proggy, Red-era-King-Crimson-inspired goodness.  :hefdaddy
Can't say that I'm necessarily surprised that the ending is not everybody's favorite, but I absolutely share your love for it. For me, it really conjures a feeling of madness, inner turmoil, and despair that fits the song perfectly. I love the description for the guitar riff that was posted in another thread:
"That riff feels like you're slowly sliding into Hell and you can't stop it no matter how hard you kick and claw."
I also think it creates a fantastic transition into The Great Debate. And I can't talk about this song without mentioning the lyrics...absolutely brilliant. They are definitely some of my favorite lyrics in DT's catalogue :heart

Offline Ruba

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2013, 02:40:57 AM »
I understand Misunderstood  :biggrin:.

But it took a lot of time to open.

Also, I love the outro. Of course I hated it at first, probably because it sounded like nothing I've heard before. Jordan has such a sweet lead part before the screeching. :heart

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2013, 03:44:00 AM »
Wonderful song.  Definitely my favorite from SDOIT, and quite possibly a top 10 DT song overall. 

*appreciates endlessly*
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline krieger

« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
I really don't like SDoIT... not at all. That Solsbury Hill cover and all...  ???

But I love Misunderstood!  :metal It's amazing! Close to perfection.  :hefdaddy
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
This is one of the songs that makes SDOIT special. Sadly, it was a direction that appeared on this album, and then disappeared again, never to be seen again.

rumborak

That's why the first disc ends with Disappear :neverusethis:
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline adamack

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2013, 04:15:39 PM »
IMO, one of the most underrated DT songs.

Also probably the best mixed/sonically "rich chocolate cake" song I can think of in the post I&W/Awake/SFaM era. A bold statement, but the engineer did an amazing job with the instrument sounds, general FX, panning, and just the overall mix. I give the engineer their share of the credit for the way this song builds and explodes into all of its sonic goodness.

And as for the ending, which many mentioned, I am one of the ones who loves it! I don't smoke weed anymore, but I remember being mesmerized by the ending when I used to smoke.v :hat

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »
This is my favorite song on SDOIT. It's one of those songs that has such an interesting vocal melody, that it's fun to listen to, and fun to sing, even when it doesn't go to super high notes. Something I wish was true for vocal melodies on ADTOE.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
This is one of the songs that makes SDOIT special. Sadly, it was a direction that appeared on this album, and then disappeared again, never to be seen again.

rumborak
I dispute "sadly."

Brilliant once - but a trick gets less interesting the more it's reiterated. That Misunderstood's pretty much unique is part of its charm. More bands should do more songs that don't sound like any of their other songs.

I think much of the reason I love Six Degrees Disc One so much is that it's so completely unlike any other DT disc. Just about everything on there is one-of-a-kind. It's a very modern sounding disc, highly produced, all record scratches and backmasking, but also very warm throughout. Often synthetic but never soulless. The same is frequently true of Disc Two, but I don't think it's a patch on the anthology.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »

rumborak
I dispute "sadly."

Brilliant once - but a trick gets less interesting the more it's reiterated. That Misunderstood's pretty much unique is part of its charm. More bands should do more songs that don't sound like any of their other songs.

I think much of the reason I love Six Degrees Disc One so much is that it's so completely unlike any other DT disc. Just about everything on there is one-of-a-kind. It's a very modern sounding disc, highly produced, all record scratches and backmasking, but also very warm throughout. Often synthetic but never soulless. The same is frequently true of Disc Two, but I don't think it's a patch on the anthology.

I took it that was exactly what Rumbarak was getting at. I may be wrong, but I don't think he wants more songs like Misunderstood but more albums with the approach DT took to making SDOIT.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2013, 03:45:58 AM »
Maybe I will understand the love for this song one day :dunno:

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2013, 04:27:54 AM »
I agree with the 'unique' aspect. I think 'Misunderstood' and SDOIT disc one in general is the closest DT has ever gotten to sounding experimental, or even Radiohead-ish.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »
I listened to 6DOIT for the first time in many many years this past weekend, and I literally forgot how incredible "Misunderstood" is.  I love the musical choices the band makes here -- particularly MP's drumming early in the song.  It's so unique and unlike anything DT had done up until that point, in my opinion.  And Petrucci's lyrics are just so, so good.  Just had to appreciate.  We're at the point now where DT's catalog is so extensive and deep that you can sometimes pick out songs and albums and it's almost like hearing them for the first time again.  That's what it was like for me with "Misunderstood."  Still not a fan of the song's final minute or so though. :p
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
One of their best song.