Author Topic: Atheists and agnostics know more about religion than religious people  (Read 7040 times)

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
Re: Atheists and agnostics know more about religion than religious people
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
Actually, Jewish ppl scored higher than the atheists.

Also:
-Those who attend more religious services scored higher.
-Men scored higher than women.

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 11:23:16 PM »
Represent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 11:29:21 PM »
Actually, Jewish ppl scored higher than the atheists.

That's true, but keep in mind that the statement is regarding atheists vs.  religious people.
When you fold the Jews into the religious pile, their higher score will no longer outweigh the lower scores of the other religious groups.

rumborak

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 11:36:40 PM »
10/15  :blush
but in my defense
the goal ought to be to know God/Scripture rather than human religious dogmas

Also the question about the bread and wine communion felt like it was a trick question… at least it tricked me.

Online Adami

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »
this is another reason why religion is for the birds...

I'm confused, are you saying people should try to avoid learning about other religions than their own?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 12:06:26 AM »
Why are Mormons on the list while some major religions like Islam, Buddhist and Hindu are left off? Did people of non-Western religions score less?

wtf is the internet?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 12:09:38 AM »
I would think they were left out simply due to lack of participants.

rumborak

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »
I got 12/15. Whether it's reasonable to do so or not, I always mix up the characteristics of Buddhism and Hinduism, because I'm really not that familiar with either one.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 12:30:02 AM »

I'm confused, are you saying people should try to avoid learning about other religions than their own?

I'm saying that Christianity is not a religion but a relationship....

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 06:23:14 AM »
10/15  :blush
but in my defense

Also the question about the bread and wine communion felt like it was a trick question… at least it tricked me.

I think it was actually referring to the last supper itself, when Jesus said "This is a cup of my blood, this is my body, etc..." I think during a mass it is more of a symbolic thing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2010, 07:33:06 AM »
Nope.  There's a reason Communion is held to be so sacred.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2010, 08:29:35 AM »
10/15  :blush
but in my defense

I think it was actually referring to the last supper itself, when Jesus said "This is a cup of my blood, this is my body, etc..." I think during a mass it is more of a symbolic thing.
No, this is one of the core differences in theology between Christian divisions.  Transubstantiation vs Consubstantiation vs many others.  Put too simply, does the bread and wine become God in substance, in spirit, or is it simply a representation without God's presence?  I personally like some of the Orthodox approaches, something like "we don't really care about the details."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2010, 09:23:22 AM »
Actually, from what I understand, Consubstantiation still attributes special things to the bread and wine, just not visible.

rumborak

Online Adami

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2010, 09:25:29 AM »

So are you saying christians should avoid learning about other religions? A simple yes or no would suffice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2010, 09:45:43 AM »
Actually, from what I understand, Consubstantiation still attributes special things to the bread and wine, just not visible.

rumborak

That was why I listed "in spirit" to match up with Consubstantiation.  Literally, like Holy Spirit or it actually is God, just in the physical substance of the bread or wine.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2010, 09:53:12 AM »
I got a perfect score.  I decided not to take the quiz.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »

So are you saying christians should avoid learning about other religions? A simple yes or no would suffice.

No.  I believe Christians should constantly be learning about other religions, perspectives and theories.  They should not be afraid to challenge what they believe and contrast it in the view of other ideas.  This is one of the fundamental ways we learn.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »
^Listen to that man, he's a genius.^
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »

No.  I believe Christians should constantly be learning about other religions, perspectives and theories.  They should not be afraid to challenge what they believe and contrast it in the view of other ideas.  This is one of the fundamental ways we learn.

Great advice. Nothing has strengthened my faith more than challenging it.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Too bad the overwhelming majority dont REALLY challenge their own beliefs, but merely ask the questions with the sole intent of finding the answers that already fit within the framework of their beliefs.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2010, 11:20:55 AM »
Yeah, that would be my criticism too. If it's just an exercise to show yourself what you're not believing in, then you might as well not do it in the first place.

rumborak

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
true...but I don't think it is a religious problem as much as it is a human problem.  we all do it in regard to what we believe (or don't believe)

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »
Too bad the overwhelming majority dont REALLY challenge their own beliefs, but merely ask the questions with the sole intent of finding the answers that already fit within the framework of their beliefs.
Most people don't even do that. But I think finding answers that you already accept is difficult if you actually search out the facts. The historical record is there for all. Nobody owns it.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2010, 12:53:02 AM »
I would love to know what the questions were. Because from experience I have noticed that most non religious people tend to read the Bible and study it like a textbook but fail to understand the deeper and truer meaning the text they have read. Case in point that most atheists will always point to Leviticus and argue hypocracy when Leviticus is 1) Old Testament and 2) much much more than a set of rules which hardly ANYONE follows anymore. Non-educated religious tend not to delve deeply into a text and usually take a literal and not a pragmatic approach to the text either. When I read the Bible I usually have a commentary and we have a whole library with passages from saints and desert fathers who talk extensively about the passages and their meanings. Not one atheist save well educated ones who actually studied theology and philosophy and actually use it has ever been as profound or meaningful as these saints have been with the text. So I am skeptical about the legitimacy of this test and think it more on dogma which is fine, but that's not the foundational information I find to be the most important. Questions like what is consubstantiation is fine, but a question like what does the Eucharist mean or what does the washing of the feet mean I find to be FAR FAR more important.

One of my arguments against atheists who keep quoting leviticus is "Well back in the 19th century I could kill you if you dishonored me in some way. Does that law still exist? Why not? How is this similar to the Bible?" and the response, The Bible is written by God is not correct. Sorry.  ;)
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2010, 01:35:11 AM »

Exactly this.  Well said, Yesh.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2010, 05:20:51 AM »
The fact that non religious people know more about the religion is what probably makes them a non believer.

BTW, this too, definitely. I mean, while my initial opposition to religion (i.e. when I was 15 or something) was based rather on lack of "self-evidence" of a deity, these days with my somewhat-decent knowledge of the workings of Christianity there's an almost violent opposition to its tenets. As an example, to me proper Christianity ended about 50AD. What came after was a "reinvention" of it by the apostles.

rumborak

Yes, most of what today's Christianity is might better be termed Paulism.  If you accept the new testament accounts who who Jesus was supposed to be then he was a jewish teacher teaching the jewish law to his fellow jews, including the requirement to keep the jewish law. Paul directly contradicted Jesus teachings on this in Galatians.  In fairness to Paul, the chances are that Chritianity as such probably wouldn't exist today, were it not for him.  Whether this is a good or a bad thing is a moot point, obviously.  It is a shame that the old mysogynist had to bastardize it to suit his own theological bent along the way.

One of the problems with religion is that most people approach it purely from a devotional perspective rather than from a historical, critical or philosophical perspective, so they never learn anything othtr than what they are told to believe.  The clergy and the church as a whole can shoulder much of the blame for this - priests who attend theology departments of universities and seminaries are taught both old and new testament literary criticism and also such things as the failures of the classical arguments for the existence of god, but none of this ever gets passed on to the congregations.  I guess this is because religions in the US do contain a strong business element, so the churches are encouraged to give the population what they want rather than the knowledge they have accrued during their training.  I guess Chip and Betty are only interested in whether they're going to get to glad-hand Jeebus and sit on a cloud for eternity rather than the finer points of how the Epic of Gilgamesh was incorporated into Genesis or whatever.

The point about people needing to learn about other religions and such was very well made, too!