Author Topic: Atheists and agnostics know more about religion than religious people  (Read 7041 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
https://mobile.latimes.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=294&nid=23170009&cid=16686&scid=-1&ith=1&

Not super-surprising to me to be honest. I too have found in conversations with religious people (not necessarily here, but outside) that I often know more about their religion than they do.

rumborak

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline William Wallace

Re: Atheists and agnostics know more about religion than religious people
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
"I think that what happens for many Christians is, they accept their particular faith, they accept it to be true and they stop examining it. Consequently, because it's already accepted to be true, they don't examine other people's faiths. … That, I think, is not healthy for a person of any faith," he said.
I think this sums up the situation quite well. I would go a step further and suggest that we do this with almost everything, politics for example. People are raised to believe that the Republican (Democrat) party is the "good" party, so they cease to learn much about politics or American history - or they learn everything through the filter of their preferred cable news network.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:49:17 AM »
"I think that what happens for many Christians is, they accept their particular faith, they accept it to be true and they stop examining it. Consequently, because it's already accepted to be true, they don't examine other people's faiths. … That, I think, is not healthy for a person of any faith," he said.
I think this sums up the situation quite well. I would go a step further and suggest that we do this with almost everything, politics for example. People are raised to believe that the Republican (Democrat) party is the "good" party, so they cease to learn much about politics or American history - or they learn everything through the filter of their preferred cable news network.

Good point.  It's pretty easy to be intellectually lazy.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »
It is very easy to just regurgitate the mantra of your social circle. I have a friend who is atheist/agnostic, but he's as unknowledgeable about atheism as the religious people mentioned in the article. But it's safe for him, since he is surrounded by atheists/agnostics.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:11:31 AM »
BTW, as a former Catholic I can also say that this lack of knowledge is somewhat desired by the Church, i.e. enforced. Sure, you hear a short snippet of scripture during mass, but to my knowledge they never bothered to explain their theology, i.e. transsubstantiation, why the Pope supposedly has the authority etc.
It's not too surprising either, given that the CC only stopped reading the Bible in Latin (so that nobody would understand it) when Luther forced them to.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:15:05 AM »
The fact that non religious people know more about the religion is what probably makes them a non believer.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:15:48 AM »
It is very easy to just regurgitate the mantra of your social circle. I have a friend who is atheist/agnostic, but he's as unknowledgeable about atheism as the religious people mentioned in the article. But it's safe for him, since he is surrounded by atheists/agnostics.

rumborak

I'm confused; what do you mean by this?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:18:53 AM »

rumborak

I'm confused; what do you mean by this?

Well, when the topic comes up he justifies his atheism/agnosticism by reeling off the usual "well, religion is there to control the masses, it's a big lie" etc. etc.

If you meant "how can on be knowledgeable about atheism", I see your point :)

rumborak

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »
I find this all true. I'm Atheist, but religion fascinates me. I've gotten into a large handful of arguments with Christian friends over religion (over details in the Bible, not over whether or not one should be religious) and I've always ended up knowing more about the source material than they have. A lot of them get the most basic facts wrong.

This is how the world works, and it's disgusting.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 10:04:12 AM »
It's not disgusting, it's just how humans work. We evolved to get the maximum benefit for the least expenditure of energy, and many people follow that paradigm to the T.

rumborak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:08 AM »

You are 100% right.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
I agree 100% with rumborak, William Wallace, and hefdaddy42.  (which, given that we're in a P/R thread, is a really bizarre thing to write.  :lol )
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »
The fact that non religious people know more about the religion is what probably makes them a non believer.

BTW, this too, definitely. I mean, while my initial opposition to religion (i.e. when I was 15 or something) was based rather on lack of "self-evidence" of a deity, these days with my somewhat-decent knowledge of the workings of Christianity there's an almost violent opposition to its tenets. As an example, to me proper Christianity ended about 50AD. What came after was a "reinvention" of it by the apostles.

rumborak

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:30:46 AM »
BTW, as a former Catholic I can also say that this lack of knowledge is somewhat desired by the Church, i.e. enforced.
Catechism?  Growing up we had to learn quite a bit before we could be confirmed.  That focus was on Catholic theology.

Jesuit education in university required that everyone take general theology courses, which meant understanding the basics of all major religions as well as breaking down the theological differences, and their related histories, in Christianity.

Yeah, lots of people don't know jack about their own religion, and many Catholics upset me because they don't understand it at all.  However, the Catholic Church is large and some aspects of it do push understanding.  If someone doesn't want to learn, they aren't going to no matter what happens in a mass.  It takes effort to learn on the part of the follower.  Honestly, if you're going to follow, I don't see why you wouldn't bother to learn if you accept it or not.  Those that just follow and don't try to have any understanding can be really bothersome.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »
After taking the excerpted version of the test, I realized that it's really more about people being stupid in general.  I know very little about religion, and I got 14 of 15, placing me in the 98th percentile.  A modest understanding of history and a little common sense are all that's required to do pretty well on the thing. 

Here's the quiz, for anybody interested. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »
???  What test?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
probably forgot the link.

Or is the test to find out what the test is and somehow that determines your religious knowledge?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:07 PM »
I got all 15 right. El Barto is right, a kindergarten education should be more than enough for this thing. Seriously, shit like this makes me believe that humanity is much closer to extinction than I thought.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 06:46:31 PM »
15/15, but only because of a successful guess on the last question.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »
14/15

SPOILERS

The Jewish Sabbath begins Friday? I thought it was Saturday.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »
Sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 06:53:45 PM »
14/15

SPOILERS

Yeah, that one probably stumped a lot of people.   My mis-step was the First Great Awakening; whatever the fuck that was. 
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »
14/15

SPOILERS

Yeah, that one probably stumped a lot of people.   My mis-step was the First Great Awakening; whatever the fuck that was. 

Same here.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »
13/15

I don't think that quiz is very accurate marker of intelligence or your knowledge of religion.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »
Why not?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 07:17:57 PM »
12/15

I say that is because I am young. I get a break, and it is still better than 87% of the people that took the test.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 07:26:55 PM »
Why not?

Because its a one time, overly short, and multiple choice. I was able to guess two or three of the answers based on a little deductive reasoning. I would probably have scored less if it was administered over the phone, and I consider myself a generally intelligent person.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »

lol I more or less became agnostic after 2 years at Bible school.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 07:39:17 PM »
I spent 10 years in catholic schools, each year losing more and more faith.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »
this is another reason why religion is for the birds...

the goal ought to be to know God/Scripture rather than human religious dogmas

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 08:17:21 PM »
14/15

SPOILERS

Friday at sundown till saturday at sundown.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 08:20:50 PM »
14/15

I got the last one wrong because I don't, in any way, keep up with american preachers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
13/15

Messed up the Jewish Sabbath one. Forget the other one though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:52:52 PM by Chino »

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »
15/15 though I hesitated on the one about nirvana