Author Topic: 73109's Song Roulette v. Bring on the heavy, Last round is on page 20  (Read 106876 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 73109's Song Roulette v. Bring on the heavy, ROUND 2 RESULTS!!! PAGE 5!
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
"Where Eagles Dare" is one of Maiden's best early songs.  That chorus is so epic.  Glad to see you liked the Rush and Opeth songs they sent you, but complete fail for putting "Watcher of the Skies" last.  Peter Gabriel is the best singers ever, he blows Phil out of the water in that regard.  Check out his solo stuff. Its amazing and sounds nothing like classic prog.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2010, 08:29:36 PM »
Numbers.  I aboslutly love Burden but a classic song?!  I know you left it to interpitation but..... but.......... It's not!!  Oh well.  Your game, your rules.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2010, 08:33:15 PM »
Well, its not "classic" in the "its old and everyone should know it," but you can think of it as either an "instant classic," or because it has a very classic rock/prog sound to it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
The person who submits "Bohemian Rhapsody" this round gets punched in the dick.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2010, 08:36:42 PM »
:rollin

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
The interpretation of "classic" should be left up to Numbers. If he thinks it's a "classic", then it is.

Even if we all know he's completely and totally incorrect. :neverusethis:
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »
Well, its not "classic" in the "its old and everyone should know it," but you can think of it as either an "instant classic," or because it has a very classic rock/prog sound to it.

Oh yea, I got that but it's funny to see everybody think one way and Marvelous G go another and then numbers goes with him.  If I was playing I'd would be like,

WAT?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »
because it has a very classic rock/prog sound to it.

Letters...this!

and...

The person who submits "Bohemian Rhapsody" this round gets punched in the dick.

:rollin

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »

Letters...this!

That's fine then. You should it has a "classic" vibe to it, so it does. It shouldn't matter what kingshmegland thinks. :P
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2010, 08:40:33 PM »
The way I look at it is...

Classic was in the ear of the sender. If he thought it was classic, then he had every right to send it. If I was judging songs based on what I called a "classic" then the score would look different. But I didn't. I judged based on the songs I dug from what the senders felt were classic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »

Letters...this!

That's fine then. You should it has a "classic" vibe to it, so it does. It shouldn't matter what kingshmegland thinks. :P

Even though you agree? :P  Like I said, his game, his rules.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2010, 08:47:07 PM »
The way I look at it is...

Classic was in the ear of the sender. If he thought it was classic, then he had every right to send it. If I was judging songs based on what I called a "classic" then the score would look different. But I didn't. I judged based on the songs I dug from what the senders felt were classic.

This is what I have a problem with. (and just so the rest of you all know, we've been discussing this on facebook...)

The whole point of having this song roulette is so that we can pick songs that you haven't heard that appeal to YOUR musical taste. If someone sends a song that doesn't remotely fit the category of the current round, it should score low. Otherwise, what is the point in having categories each round anyway? I could just send a random Metallica song that you would love every round and this entire thing would be pointless.

This last round, the controversy was with Burden. Personally, I don't think that it's a very "classic" song in any way, so if this were my roulette, it would have been scored lower. However, since you though that it had a "classic" vibe, you scored it high. That's fine. In the future though, it should be made aware to everyone participating that they should adhere to the category each round much more carefully.

Isn't it funny that I can write all this but can't finish my english paper that's due tomorrow morning? :facepalm:
I AM A GUY

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »
Isn't it funny that I can write all this but can't finish my english paper that's due tomorrow morning? :facepalm:
Tell me about it. I was discussing chocolate milk for twenty minutes when I had thirty to finish my essay. :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »
So, Letters is somewhat right...

I'm just saying this:

For this round: I'f I'm not singing along by the end, it will score low. Oh, and FYI, please no catchy jingles. I want epic songs so I can epically sing in my epically horrible voice.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »
I would have a couple perfect songs, but unfortunately I think you hate the band. And these are the only songs that do that to me  :\

...my name is Araragi.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »
Try it...

I hated Iced Earth and I hated Opeth and now, I dig Serenity Painted Death more than I did when I originally posted the results. You can convert me.

But if it just so happens to be Ending Theme (complete guess) don't do it. :lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2010, 09:18:31 PM »
Most of the songs off Ziltoid would work.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »
I COMMAND
MY DOMINION
EVERY HEART
AND ALL OPINION

HIDE ME
GUIDE ME
DRY MY TEARS
SLOWLY TAKING BACK
THE YEARS

OVER AND OVER AND OVER
YOU LIVE IT AGAIN

Hell yeah! :lol

EDIT:

Most of the songs off Ziltoid would work.

Terria would do it too...

TIRED OF THE WAY
I'VE BEEN FEELING EVERYDAY

TO FEEL
FEAL LIKE THERES NO BODY HERE
TO FEEL LIKE THERES NO MORE FEAR
I WANNA FEEL LIKE THIS FOR A YEAR

SO FAR
IVE LOGGED
SO MANY HOURS
WITH MEDICATIONS
AND A DOG

I love him. :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2010, 10:05:04 PM »
First of all, I have to say I agree with Letters and kingshmegland about the last round.  If 10 people have one definition, and one person has a different one, it's usually the one person who is wrong.

So, I'm confused by this round, as it seems like a conflict of interest.  I thought the point of a song roulette game was to discover new music...but at the same time this round implies that you are intimately familiar with the song.  Even if I'm picking a song you know, am I picking the best song, or the one that has the most singalongability (yes, I just made up that word).  So...either way I'm looking for more direction.

Also -this is for everyone reading the thread - can we not discuss potential songs for a round?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2010, 10:09:46 PM »
I thought the point of a song roulette game was to discover new music...but at the same time this round implies that you are intimately familiar with the song. 

That was the point when I started it at least. I felt it would've been unfair because I figured I'd tend to lean towards a song I was more familiar with over one I hadn't heard much at all.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »
Dammit numbers.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
So, I'm confused by this round, as it seems like a conflict of interest.  I thought the point of a song roulette game was to discover new music...but at the same time this round implies that you are intimately familiar with the song.  Even if I'm picking a song you know, am I picking the best song, or the one that has the most singalongability (yes, I just made up that word).  So...either way I'm looking for more direction.

I already submitted my song for this round. I tried to find a song that would obviously appeal to his taste in music in general (maybe pushing the boundries to expand it a bit, but that's risky), while at the same time having that "singalongability". Basically, it's a hybrid of both. Of course, I can't speak for Numbers here though.

Also, I don't think anyone wants to be "that guy" who picks a song that Numbers is familiar with every round. I really hope people stay away from this idea. In fact, if this was my roulette, I would either provide warning to the sender or rank all the songs I knew at the bottom. :P

Also -this is for everyone reading the thread - can we not discuss potential songs for a round?

I'm not really in favor of this because it can give people who haven't submitted a song a hint of sorts. Discussing it through PMs with people who have already submitted is probably okay though.

Dammit numbers.
^^^and this
I AM A GUY

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2010, 10:17:27 PM »
I thought the point of a song roulette game was to discover new music...but at the same time this round implies that you are intimately familiar with the song. 

That was the point when I started it at least. I felt it would've been unfair because I figured I'd tend to lean towards a song I was more familiar with over one I hadn't heard much at all.

That was a great idea BTW! :tup

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »
In that case, if someone sends him a song he's familiar with in some way, shouldn't he at least reply to the sender for a new song submission?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2010, 10:25:50 PM »
In that case, if someone sends him a song he's familiar with in some way, shouldn't he at least reply to the sender for a new song submission?
Maybe that's a good idea. Or he could just rate it poorly.

By the way, I want you in my roulette after this one's over.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2010, 10:26:48 PM »
Me? Sweet. How do I go about applying for that position?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2010, 10:27:55 PM »

I'm not really in favor of this because it can give people who haven't submitted a song a hint of sorts. Discussing it through PMs with people who have already submitted is probably okay though.

Read again my friend.  I asked people to NOT discuss songs.  I think I sense trouble on that English paper you're working on  :lol

When I run mine, I'm going to list banned bands, and will require new submissions for things I already own.  Might make things difficult, but at the same time interesting.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2010, 10:28:18 PM »
I say that I want you to do it. You agree. Done. We make a big pizza pie, eat some spicy meat-a-ball, and call it a day.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »

Do you want people to apply to your roulette and you get to pick who you want or you just pick them right away?

Because if we can apply I definitely will! (I think I mentinned it already)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: October 03, 2010, 10:30:06 PM »

Read again my friend.  I asked people to NOT discuss songs.  I think I sense trouble on that English paper you're working on  :lol

I understood the same thing as letters.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »

Whoops. It's late and I've been writing too much. :lol
I agree with you then!
I AM A GUY

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2010, 10:39:20 PM »

Can we make a master list of people waiting to run a roulette?  I know antigoon and myself want to run one, but I'm not sure if there is a line or anything because I really didn't pay attention to Sigz roulette.

Also, maybe after numbers we should consider running two at a time.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »
If I get to pick who participate in mine, I'm interested in running one of those. I feel like it's a great way of discovering new music and some of the people here are really into good and diverse music. :tup

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2010, 11:00:48 PM »
Gorille85's would definitely be interesting because he has a strange yet awesome taste. :lol
I AM A GUY

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »
Sent

I'll probably lose, but it was the best song I could think of based on the rules for the round.

...my name is Araragi.