Author Topic: 73109's Song Roulette v. Bring on the heavy, Last round is on page 20  (Read 106861 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: 73109's Song Roulette v. Bring on the heavy, ROUND 1 RESULTS!!! PAGE 4!
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2010, 08:04:23 AM »
lolcrosscountry

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2010, 08:05:05 AM »
I don't run it, but it's their homecoming...

:hat :hat :hat :hat

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2010, 08:05:40 AM »
Oh...lolcrosscountryanyways

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2010, 08:10:39 AM »
Just being a tease...

I already got a song that will be incredibly hard to top. :P

So whoever hasn't sent your songs, you know who you are, better step it up.

And those who have, could it be you?

:lol

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
Sent, maybe a less risky choice this time.

Which will probably mean it will rank way lower  :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »
I'll send mine tomorrow because I'm a lazy bastard like that

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2010, 10:08:35 AM »
I'm not confident with my choice, but I'm not unconfident either. It's definitely not heavy, but with the criteria for this round there's probably a lot of non-heavy songs.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2010, 10:09:23 AM »
Someone could send classic death metal...

• DTF.org Member
Re: Round 1 Results!!!
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »

zxlkho-Prototype-The Way It Ends-All I can say about this song is that it is pretty fucking good. I had trouble deciding what was better, this or Ytse’s, While Ytse’s had higher highs, this song never got suckish. It really is great through and through. The dudes voice is just high enough to be cool but not horribly annoying. This reminds me of a good Coheed and Cambria (I dislike them.) YOU WRITE THE BOOK ON THE WAY IT ALL ENDS!!! Good tune and keep it up.

I just noticed this got sent. I actually considered sending this song...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »
Someone could send classic death metal...
True.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Round 1 Results!!!
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »

zxlkho-Prototype-The Way It Ends-All I can say about this song is that it is pretty fucking good. I had trouble deciding what was better, this or Ytse’s, While Ytse’s had higher highs, this song never got suckish. It really is great through and through. The dudes voice is just high enough to be cool but not horribly annoying. This reminds me of a good Coheed and Cambria (I dislike them.) YOU WRITE THE BOOK ON THE WAY IT ALL ENDS!!! Good tune and keep it up.

I just noticed this got sent. I actually considered sending this song...
I love this band. They are criminally underrated.

Also, someone should send some classic lolicore.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2010, 11:54:39 AM »
Sent, maybe a less risky choice this time.

Which will probably mean it will rank way lower  :lol

Okay, so Cole told me to listen to the song you sent him.....WTF MAN?!?! I LOST SO MANY BRAIN CELLS

I love this band. They are criminally underrated.

Also, someone should send some classic lolicore.

Uhm.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2010, 01:01:59 PM »
Well Im satisfied with the results and his explanations. I didn't expect to be the worst, or first. I feel the same about P.O.S so I'm not surprised that song ended up where it did.

Will PM you something classic shortly.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2010, 01:06:53 PM »
I'm still having trouble picking a song. I don't want to pick something well known, but "classic" implies widely known and appreciated...
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2010, 01:13:13 PM »
My classic song isn't super well known.  You know there were other bands besides Led Zepplin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, and The Doors; despite what revisionist history would lead you to believe.

Despite my current listening preference, I think I could own a straight up classic game, my dad had good taste of music.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »
PM sent. GOD, that was stressful.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »

Yeah, I feel your pain. Sending a personnal message is indeed a traumatizing experience. In fact, when I have no choice and I must absolutely send one, my mom usually holds my hand during the process.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:48:21 PM by Gorille85 »

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »
[quote/

Yeah, I feel your pain. Sending a personnal message is indeed a traumatizing experience. In fact, when I have no choice and I must absolutely send one, my mom usually holds my hand during the process.
You also seem to have trouble with quoting. Should we go and get your mom for you?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »
I was sitting in the car earlier and I listened to a certain song, and that spawned my idea for the next round. Now, I can't wait!! :caffeine:

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2010, 08:49:23 PM »
[quote/

You also seem to have trouble with quoting. Should we go and get your mom for you?

I have NO idea what are you talking about. In fact, YOU are the one misquoting stuff it seems.

OK, OK I failed at quoting :facepalm:  :blush
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:16:40 PM by Gorille85 »

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »
Waiting on Birch and only Birch. Everyone kill him.

Edit: almost everyone's is graded and is ready to be written about so once Birch sends his, I'll be good. I'm going into Philly tomorrow so expect results sometime tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:42:09 PM by 73109 »

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »
I'll send mine later tonight, sorry

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2010, 03:26:33 PM »
CMON ALREADY BIRCH
THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
I'll send mine later tonight, sorry
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU  :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »
Still waiting on Birch. I'm going to write up on all of the songs now. I'll just do his later and put it where I feel it needs to go. Expect results tonight.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
Sent.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2010, 07:47:08 PM »
Still waiting on Birch. I'm going to write up on all of the songs now. I'll just do his later and put it where I feel it needs to go. Expect results tonight.
You impatience brings me joy.  :D

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2010, 08:09:03 PM »
My impatience brings me misery.

But the Ravens won, so it's okay.
I AM A GUY

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
ROUND 2 RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »
Ok, so...

Best:

Marvelous G-Opeth-Burden: So…how is this “classic?” :lol I guess if you interpreted it as such, it is. That is just what happens when I gave such loose boundaries. Lucky for you, the boundaries were loose. I knew the song before you sent it and I knew you would win from the second my eyes laid upon “Opeth-Burden” I love this song as I love all the Opeth ballads I’ve heard. I think Mikael has one of the awesome voices ever. Seriously. Ever. I love it and everything about this song, save for the dissonant guitar at the very very end is perfect. Amazing, amazing song. Nothing more can be said. Good job dude! :metal

Medium Best:

DTVT-George Thorogood and the Destroyers-Bad to the Bone: HELL FUCKING YEAH!!! This is what I wanted when I asked for “classic” (fuck me for not being specific, I know) Anyway, this is awesome. Of all of his big hits, this is actually my least favorite but it still doesn’t stop me from almost putting a hole in my floor from banging my foot so hard. One of the most interesting reads from one of my Guitar World Magazine actually was with this dude. I’m not that familiar with his music, but I am still kicking myself for passing up a chance to see him. Great tune and the epitome of classic.

YtseBitseySpider-Rush-Making Memories: So, when I first read that is would be a Rush song, I though “Hmm…Rush…classic…interesting” Well, it was very interesting, and it did give off a classic vibe. I love when a band that is known for its craziness and out there-ness just pulls back and creates a song like this ala The Silent Man. This is a great and very simple song. It is very beautiful, catchy, and if you pay attention to the lyrics, heartwarming. Nice solo and a great vocal performance from Geddy. This was a pleasant surprise. Thank you.

Medium:

Cthrubuoy-Thin Lizzy-Don’t Believe a Word: I’ll be honest, for the first few listens, I didn’t dig the song. But the more I listened, the more I dug it. It really is “classic” and as I’m listening to it and typing this, I am really starting to like it. Also, while typing this, I have a general idea of where everyone is going to place and I’m saying right now, I don’t know if you are going to be Medium or Medium Best. I need to listen to Ytse’s song and make up my mind. Before this final listen, I thought it would be Ytse, but now I’m not sure. We shall see but this is a great, great song, and the riff is great, and the fact that it is short is not a turnoff at all. The greatest music can be said in just a little while. RIP Phil.

Genowyn-Queensryche-Walk in the Shadows: The first thing that hits you in the song is its great, in your face instrumentation. The second thing however, is Geoff Tate’s rather annoying vocals. The verse is generally very annoying and even the epic WE’LL WAWALK IN THE SHAAAAADOOOOWS…WALK WITH ME, doesn’t really save it. It isn’t bad but it isn’t great, nor really good. It’s ok at its finest. As I’m typing this, I do not yet know where it will be placed. PS. As I’m listening to it now, the solo is pretty epic. Geoff Tate’s voice isn’t as annoying as it was before. Hmm…this might be tough.

True Death of Life-Ten Years After-I’d Love to Change the World: Another person who completely “got” the term classic that I was looking for. This song just gave off classic…probably because it was written in ‘71 (NOT THE LATE 60’S!!! GAH!!! DIE!!!!) It was pretty trippy, and was just a cool song. Nothing really completely stuck out save the awesome guitar solo but it was a general good song. I was happy to hear it and…what more is there to say? I dug it. It was catchy at points. Good song and good job. Also, as I type this, I’m sorry for probably not putting you in Medium Best. I think this deserves it but I got a few really good songs and as of typing this, I don’t think it cuts it.

Birchboy-Iron Maiden-Where Eagles Dare-So, the first thing I notice is the classic (good thing) Iron Maiden guitar work. Then Bruce sings the shit he usually sings. It’s pretty decent to start off. Bruce is doing his usual shit throughout the song, and I actually think that is the problem. Generic Maiden is boring. Nothing about this song really sticks out to me. Of all the hits, there is always something that separates it from duh-duhnuh-nuh duh-duhnuh-nuh and Bruce singing over it. There really isn’t anything in here that completely makes me love it. Is isn’t bad. Maiden can’t be bad, but they can be boring.

Medium Worst

orcus116-Rolling Stones-Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker): So, what to say about this song? First off, I think the Stones are very hit or miss. I love some of their stuff and hate some others. This song is pretty good. Not great but decent. You are correct about the sax being cool and the general instrumentation if very groovy. Plus, Jagger’s voice here is pretty good which to me, is key to a good Stones song…well, that would make sense now wouldn’t it? :lol Um…it isn’t great but it isn’t bad by any means. I look forward to more of your picks in the future.

zxlkho-Judas Priest-Blood Stone: So, the first thing that hits me with this song is its awesome guitar. Then Rab Halford kicks in. Now, I look at Judas Priest as my anti guilty pleasure, they are more of my guilty dislike…if that makes any sense. No real metal head can say they dislike Priest so I need to keep my general discontent under wraps. Now, with that said, this song wasn’t bad. At all. It just wasn’t great. As I type this, I don’t know where it will end up and I still need to listen to Birch’s song so here we go…PS. When he goes BLOODSTONE!! I do have to admit, it is pretty cool. :P

Worst:

LieLowTheWantedMan-Genesis-Watcher of the Skies: Inb4OMGHEHATESCLASSICPROG. Yeah well…this was just meh. I like what I’ve heard from Genesis but everything I’ve heard from them was with Phil Collins singing, and I would like to keep it that way. The keys got really annoying and Gabriel’s voice is by no means bad but it just didn’t click with me here. After a few listens, it wasn’t as bad as originally perceived but it just didn’t click. Sorry dude.

Deciding between True Death of Life, YtseBitseySpider, and Cthrubuoy was agony. Sorry for those who didn't end up where they wanted.

So, so far we have:

True Death of Life and Marvelous G-8 points
YsteBitseySpider-7 points
Genowyn, DTVT, Cthrubuoy, and zxlhko-6 points
orcus116 and Birchboy-5 points
LieLowTheWantedMan-2 points

ROUND 3:

Ok, so I was sitting in the backseat of my car on the ride home from NYC and I was listening to a certain song( I won't give it away as it might give some of you a hint or a lead or whatever) and it took every ounce of my energy to not belt along with the words, and I came up with a great idea for this round. So, this rounds key words will be "Sing along" I'm looking for a song that will leave me wanting to scream along with it. I want songs where it takes every ounce of strength you have not to sing along in company, and sometimes...you just fail! :lol And the best part is, when you are alone, you can scream at the top of your lungs. Those songs. :) Good luck.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
Re: 73109's Song Roulette v. Bring on the heavy, ROUND 2 RESULTS!!! PAGE 5!
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU
I AM A GUY

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »
I fail.  :lol

Hmmm I don't know what might be a singalong for me may be a lot different for you.  :P

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
Hey, I was deleting some PMs and I thought I might have deleted an entry. Has oneone sent me something for this round this quickly?

Oh, and you guys have 48 hours. Good luck...again. :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
Re: ROUND 2 RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »
Maiden is boring. Nothing about this song really sticks out to me. There really isn’t anything in here that makes me love it. Maiden can be boring.
:|

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »
:lol

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »
I agree 10348203840238402375983745% with Birch Boy, particularly with their older material. (pre-SSOASS)
I AM A GUY