Author Topic: 73109's Song Roulette v. Bring on the heavy, Last round is on page 20  (Read 107083 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: 73109's Song Roulette v. Bring on the heavy
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2010, 04:54:20 PM »
Just a small note:

The rankings will always be in the groups of

Best
Medium Best
Medium
Medium Worst
Worst

That doesn't mean that the worse is bad, it just means that is the worst of all the songs. I am just using a constant group name to keep it simple. I have typed 6 of my snippets. I have 4 more to go and 1 of those four I don't even have yet, so look for the results tonight sometime.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
KNOWING YOU IN SUCKS WHEN IT COMES TO THIS

THE IMPATIENCE IS HORRID

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »
Expect results in <30 minutes. :)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Round 1 Results!!!
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2010, 09:05:05 PM »
The results are in!!!

Round 1:

Best:

True Death of Life-Iced Earth-Melancholy-So, maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to have this chick in this. Because if she keeps sending me songs like this, you guys are fucked. Now, I can just hear everyone saying “Yeah, what the fuck do you expect, its his fucking girlfriend, of course he needs to suck up.” Not true. This song is just fucking awesome (hey sarah, maybe you need to send me some PT to even the awesomeness out, eh? You need to be last in at least one round for me to retain any credit I may have :P ) SEE THE SADNESS IN THEIR EYES!!! This sounded like Iron Maiden on steroids, it was great. One thing I loved about this was subtle backing vocals in the chorus. It was just fucking epic. LOOK AT THE PAIN AROUND ME!!! THIS IS WHAT I DIE FOR!!!! This song left me with 4 words. Holy shit and more please? And I mean it. Any body who is into these dudes, can I get some suggestions because I’ve heard other Iced Earth songs and they weren’t nearly as epic as this. Keep up the good work.

Medium Best:

Genowyn-Ootsuki Kenji-Kuusou Rumba: Dude…What. The. Fuck. So, I saw what you said and though  “big risk? Ok, its probably some death metal, ya know! Opeth or something like that” but no! It is some fucking weird ass Chinese(?) dude singing with another Chinese(?) chick and I thought to myself “well, at least I know who is coming in last in this round.” Well, I was wrong. This is one of the two songs I mentioned that I thought I wouldn’t like, but I most certainly did. I was sitting there reading the lyrics and nearly shitting my pants from laughter, and I started to notice something…I started to notice that I was bouncing in my chair, before long, I was fucking rocking out in my chair. This song is just so fun and danceable, I can’t explain it. Everyone needs to listen to this. It was a big risk and it paid off. Will it in the future? That’s your decision. Ps. RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA!!!!

zxlkho-Prototype-The Way It Ends-All I can say about this song is that it is pretty fucking good. I had trouble deciding what was better, this or Ytse’s, While Ytse’s had higher highs, this song never got suckish. It really is great through and through. The dudes voice is just high enough to be cool but not horribly annoying. This reminds me of a good Coheed and Cambria (I dislike them.) YOU WRITE THE BOOK ON THE WAY IT ALL ENDS!!! Good tune and keep it up.

Medium:

YtseBitsySpider-Soilwork-Exile: So, this is an overall pretty good tune. Nice guitar work. Very in your face. If there was one thing I can complain about, it would be the verse. When the dude wasn’t screaming, it was monotonous and meh, and when he was screaming, it was neither good nor bad. But what made this song was the chorus. It was amazing, Very, very emotional. FAITHLESS!!!! ON MY WAY!!! Great fucking chorus. Another thing I need to mention about this song is its solo. It was great, albeit a little short. (that is not a bad thing, I’m just making a statement. Don’t send me songs with 5 minute solos. Please!)  Perfect blend of metal and melody. If I ever call a “solo” round (cough cough) you guys might want to look into this song. Great tune dude. WON’T YOU BE…HEARTLESS!!!!

Marvelous G-ZZ Top-Cheap Sunglasses: So, what to say? Um…I’m pretty much on the middle of the road with this one. The song is most certainly not bad, but even liking all the ZZ Top songs I’ve heard, this is by far my least favorite of their “hits.” Not bad, but not great either. I like where you went though with the classic rock. I said it before and I will say it again. Classic rock has some, if not most, of the best music ever. Not a bad place to start and I know you will be giving me cool stuff in the future.

orcus116-Testament-Return to Serenity: I completely agree with your view on Testament, the Big Four, and Alex Skolnick. Now, the thing is, I know most of the songs off The Ritual, but this is one I have not heard of. I got to say, it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t all that good. I love the Ritual in that it was a departure from thrash and went to more of a heavy metal style, but that is exactly what it should be, heavy metal. My favorite song of The Ritual is the title track just because it is a ballad but it builds to kick you in your face, (Just like most Metallica ballads) I hope you know the part I’m talking about. I was waiting for it to kick in, but it never really did. It works well as a ballad, but not as a Testament ballad if you get me?

Cthrubuoy-Opeth-Serenity Painted Death: Let me preface everything by saying this was one of the two songs that was better than I thought it would be. Now, if you are asking why I thought it was better than what I thought but it is still so low, I’ll tell you. I expected this to be a generic Opeth song, cool, eerie guitars, long drawn out growls switching to nice soft acoustic guitars and then Mikaels(sp) orgasmic voice. While it definitely had that, it had something different. During the 2 straight verses of “White faced/haggard grin” Mikael did something I have not heard him do. He abandoned his long drawn out growl and changed into something more of a shout/growl and the fact that the lyrics rhymed there made his shout/growling sound even better to my ear. I’m weird, what more can I say?

Medium Worst:

DTVT-Circle II Circle-Heal You: There really is not much to say about the song. The singer is great. The chorus is pretty good. The instrumentation is simple but it works. (save for the solo, that shit is insane, but very good) It is generally a very decent song. Nothing really stands out. I do have to admit it could be because this is the last song I’ve listened to and I’m just writing this and I want to get the results out quickly. I can assure you though, it would not change the placement of the song. It is very middle of the road and maybe below it. I see you doing well in the future.   

Birch Boy-Children of Bodom-Needled 24/7: What the fuck, bro!?!?!? I came into this thinking you were going to own this. Dude, this sucked. It was bad. It reminded me of the few Trivium songs that I’ve heard that were good, gone horribly bad. Shit vocal production over shitty and whiney screams. To be honest, the chorus stopped me from giving it a personal rating of 1, and even with that, it just got a 3. The chorus did remind me of some of Trivium’s stuff which is good, but even at that bro… I know you can do better, so start showing me that you can!

Worst:

LieLowTheWantedMan-Pain of Salvation-Idioglossia: So, what to say about this? Not much really to say. I don’t dig Pain of Salvation’s style. I’ve tried getting into them and they just never clicked to me. The instrumentation is a bit annoying here and I hate Gildenlow rapping. It’s just, bad. It was better when he sung, but not by much. Plus, it’s long which makes the bad just go on longer. I didn’t like Pain of Salvation before and I still don’t. In fact, that actually worsened my opinion of them. Harsh? Yes. Honest? Most definitely. Will you do better? Probably. Also, I plan on getting flamed for saying how much I didn’t like this song.

So, the rankings has of now are:

1. True Death of Life-5 points
2. Genowyn and zxlhko-4 points
3.YtseBitseySpider, Marvelous G, Orcus116, and Cthrubuoy-3 points
4. DTVT and Birchboy-2 points
5. LieLowTheWantedMan-1 point

PS. I am very sorry to Ytse and DTVT. You guys were so close to being in the catagory above the one you are, I just almost couldn't decide. It really was what my gut was feeling during my last listen of each song.

NEXT ROUND... The key word for next round is "classic." Take that whichever way you want. You guys have 48 hours. Good luck.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Round 1 Results!!!
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
Worst:

LieLowTheWantedMan-Pain of Salvation-Idioglossia: So, what to say about this? Not much really to say. I don’t dig Pain of Salvation’s style. I’ve tried getting into them and they just never clicked to me. The instrumentation is a bit annoying here and I hate Gildenlow rapping. It’s just, bad. It was better when he sung, but not by much. Plus, it’s long which makes the bad just go on longer. I didn’t like Pain of Salvation before and I still don’t. In fact, that actually worsened my opinion of them. Harsh? Yes. Honest? Most definitely. Will you do better? Probably. Also, I plan on getting flamed for saying how much I didn’t like this song.

Fucking inexcusable.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 73109's Song Roulette v. Bring on the heavy, ROUND 1 RESULTS!!! PAGE 4!
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKKK

WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T I SEND AN ICED EARTH SONG WHAT THE FUCK FUCK FUCK OH MY GOD I'M SO PISSED RIGHT NOW JESUS CHRIST WHY DON'T YOU LIKE CHILDREN OF BODOM OH MY GOD RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE GET A FUCKING LAST.FM OH MY FUCKING GOD I SHOULD'VE SENT AN ICED EARTH SONG THEY'RE ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS JESUS H. CHRIST

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2010, 09:16:50 PM »
Worst:

Fucking inexcusable.

Did you forget he has horrible taste? I'm not really bothered with Idioglossia being low -- I would expect it -- but Serenity Painted Death below fucking Iced Earth is disgusting.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »
Iced Earth got top place? Ah well. Love the detailed descriptions though!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2010, 09:27:23 PM »
I seem to recall you saying Iced Earth suck. But now that your girlfriend tells you to listen to it everything is great? I hate you so much.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »
COLLUSION!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
I seem to recall you saying Iced Earth suck. But now that your girlfriend tells you to listen to it everything is great? I hate you so much.

Any body who is into these dudes, can I get some suggestions because I’ve heard other Iced Earth songs and they weren’t nearly as epic as this.

I'm not sure if you are joking but I really want you guys to get that I am being completely honest here. I rate what I rate. Its as simple as that. If you guys really want Sarah out because you really think I'm biased, I can assure you, I'm not, but I'll do it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2010, 09:29:29 PM »
I've gotta say the lack of last.fm really makes this tough. More of a challenge I suppose.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2010, 09:30:56 PM »

Any body who is into these dudes, can I get some suggestions because I’ve heard other Iced Earth songs and they weren’t nearly as epic as this.
Something Wicked This Way Comes and Days Of Purgatory. NAO.

Here's one to start you off: "Pure Evil"

Fuck me for not thinking of sending an IE song. :facepalm:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=277.0
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2010, 09:33:11 PM »
I'm not sure if you are joking but I really want you guys to get that I am being completely honest here. I rate what I rate. Its as simple as that. If you guys really want Sarah out because you really think I'm biased, I can assure you, I'm not, but I'll do it.

I want to bring attention to my edit. So, here it is.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
I was just kidding.  :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2010, 09:34:13 PM »
Oh...ok then. Moving on...:\

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2010, 09:38:47 PM »
Sent.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2010, 10:10:50 PM »
It was japanese.

If I keep sending really out there japanese stuff I wonder if it will be to my benefit or my downfall  :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2010, 10:30:10 PM »
lol i fail.

Anyways, sent.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2010, 11:09:58 PM »
The worst part is I remember telling you in a PM that I thought you'd love Iced Earth.  I was going the "guys you never heard of route". 

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2010, 11:31:25 PM »
Worst:

Fucking inexcusable.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2010, 11:34:33 PM »
Idioglossia is the greatest song to have ever been recorded. There is no arguing this as it is an objective fact. It was an objective fact before the song was written, and it will be an objective fact when all of existence ends.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2010, 12:23:24 AM »
Damn I should have got first.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2010, 02:02:06 AM »
Not bad, Opeth didn't come last like I expected.

Next song sent.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2010, 07:02:24 AM »
YES!  :metal

In all honesty guys, I thought I was taking a pretty big fucking risk by sending Iced Earth...Cole has always had a bit of a...grudgem let's say? against Iron Maiden and other similar bands. I was really hoping he'd just judge it by the song.

Again, if at any point you think that the judging is biased, I'm willing to drop out. I don't want to feeli kike I'm contaminating the fun.

@ Cole: WOW YOU LIKE (my) GOOD MUSIC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2010, 07:18:23 AM »
Medium Worst:

DTVT-Circle II Circle-Heal You: There really is not much to say about the song. The singer is great. The chorus is pretty good. The instrumentation is simple but it works. (save for the solo, that shit is insane, but very good) It is generally a very decent song. Nothing really stands out. I do have to admit it could be because this is the last song I’ve listened to and I’m just writing this and I want to get the results out quickly. I can assure you though, it would not change the placement of the song. It is very middle of the road and maybe below it. I see you doing well in the future.   

Birch Boy-Children of Bodom-Needled 24/7: What the fuck, bro!?!?!? I came into this thinking you were going to own this. Dude, this sucked. It was bad. It reminded me of the few Trivium songs that I’ve heard that were good, gone horribly bad. Shit vocal production over shitty and whiney screams. To be honest, the chorus stopped me from giving it a personal rating of 1, and even with that, it just got a 3. The chorus did remind me of some of Trivium’s stuff which is good, but even at that bro… I know you can do better, so start showing me that you can!

Worst:

Circle II Circle and COB are first class music, average does not come into it.

And this ranking of POS leaves me simply dumbfounded.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2010, 07:18:51 AM »
Worst:

Fucking inexcusable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »
Mine might well have been a bad choice.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »
I thought I was taking a pretty big fucking risk by sending Iced Earth...Cole has always had a bit of a...grudgem let's say? against Iron Maiden and other similar bands.

SEE!!!!

Headed to NY today. I'll be listening to the songs when I get back.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
Decided to look at letters' song because of Cole's comment that it sounded like "good Coheed and Cambria."  Except that Cole has clearly never actually listened to Coheed and Cambria, because nothing from this song except for heaviness and "bitchin' harmonics" is in Coheed at all.  Guy has a pretty good voice, but I'm not too big on the "lets play this chord as fast as we can with blast beats" mentality.  

At least Cole has again realized the error of some of his musical ways and discovered he kinda like Iced Earth.  Of course, placing Serenity Painted Death so low and mistaking Genowyn's song for Chinese continues to keep him in the failboat.  I'll be following these threads to get possibly cool musical recommendations.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2010, 07:56:15 AM »
ALL ASIANS ARE THE SAME ASIAN DAMMIT! :P

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2010, 07:58:49 AM »
I thought I was taking a pretty big fucking risk by sending Iced Earth...Cole has always had a bit of a...grudgem let's say? against Iron Maiden and other similar bands.

SEE!!!!

Headed to NY today. I'll be listening to the songs when I get back.
You're coming to visit me?!?!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2010, 08:00:42 AM »
I wish. NYC. :(

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2010, 08:03:27 AM »
Drive extra ninety minutes and come to my school's cross country homecoming!!!

:hat