Author Topic: Avenged Sevenfold Last Night - Great Show *spoilers*  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Avenged Sevenfold Last Night - Great Show *spoilers*
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »
I went to see the Uproar Festival last night, which featured the bands Halestorm, Stone Sour, Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed on the main stage. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I was only able to catch the second half of Stone Sour's set and all of Avenged Sevenfold, before having to leave. One might think that was a waste of a 50-something dollar ticket, but truth be told, Avenged Sevenfold's hour on stage was worth the price of admission alone.

Old school pyro throughout the show, the graveyard set up, and hell, the show itself started with a member of the crew faking hanging himself, dropping from a light fixture at the top of the stage. Dude even hung there for the entire opening number, "Nightmare."

Say what you will about A7X, but the songs they play are heavy, they are diverse (some would label it progressive), and I haven't seen guys play with that much energy since Sevendust back in the early 2000s. It was an incredible and emotional performance that really stole the show. A few people I talked to said that while Disturbed follows with a great set and stage of its own, A7X upstaged them completely. I don't doubt it in the least.

I can't tell you every song they played. I am a recent A7X fan, having checked them out about six months ago, enjoyed the albums, and now consider myself a solid fan of theirs. There is just too much not to like (other than the ridiculous look some of the guys on stage have, which the mostly 20-somethings all tried to emulate). I know they played NIghtmare, Almost Easy, Beast and the Harlot, a few of the new songs, and then some of the recognizable old ones. I knew the tunes, just not the names.

As expected, I spent a great deal of time watching Mike Portnoy. It was extremely weird to hear M. Shadows talk about him and not say "of Dream Theater" when introducing Mike. As much as I was critical of the way MP publicly talked about his split with DT, it still bothers me that he's not in the band any longer. That said, however, I clearly saw Mike interacting with people with DT shirts on, putting his hand on his heart, and at times, banging the side of his head when interacting with those same people. I wonder, maybe MP realizes his mistake -- I'm probably stretching. But that was what it looked like.

Performance-wise, MP was MP. Spit galore, great drumming. No vocals. He interacting a ton with the crowd, and played catch with the techs on the side of the stage with his drumsticks throughout one song.

Anyway, A7X is the real deal folks. If you haven't really listened to them yet, just sorta dismissed them like I did for a few years, you're making a mistake. Sit down with City of Evil or the self-titled, and immerse yourself. Headphones would be great if you had them. It's an immensely creative and talented band, who deliver in an old school way on stage.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: Avenged Sevenfold Last Night - Great Show *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »
cool review. i wish i got to see them this tour. i saw them three times with the rev. once in a small club and then bigger venues. they definitely put on a good show

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:49:24 PM »
Wow. It's nice to see a positive thread about them for a change.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the usual suspects came in here and ruined this thread with the usual "lola7xsucks".

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:53:36 PM »
lola7xsucks

:jamaritard:
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:56:24 PM »
As soon as I saw you viewing this thread, I knew you were going to post that >_>

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »
People can say what they want. The A7X guys can play, have good songs, and put on a good show. Music is music, either you like it or you don't. Don't really care what some of the haters say about them. I know music, and I know the music industry. That is a band that can play and fight it out with the best of them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »
Dammit beat me to it.

Still not a huge fan of A7X, though I actually did find myself enjoying the new song "Nightmare."  Just doesn't do much for me.  Glad you enjoyed the show and glad that MP is at least enjoying himself.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
As soon as I saw you viewing this thread, I knew you were going to post that >_>

:-*

I'm just kidding of course. I honestly haven't heard any A7X yet so I don't really have an opinion on them.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »

:-*

I'm just kidding of course. I honestly haven't heard any A7X yet so I don't really have an opinion on them.
Remedy that right now.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 05:42:17 AM »
Sam..thanks for the review. I agree with you completely. I had copies of their last 2 albums. The music didn't jump out at me, but they were clearly good musicians. They just needed some direction.
I wouldn't have bought Nightmare had MP not have played on it, I do confess, but Nightmare is a damn great hard rock album. It's far more focused and mature. MP, perhaps inadvertantly, has clearly caused the band to raise their game. It reminds me of Illusion era GnR. Yes..I think it's that good.

I've watched some footage on youtube of the show and it looks amazing. It is a show that rivals some of the best 80's arena hard rock tours like Maiden and Motley Crue.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »
Yeah I have been hearing great things about this tour. I have been saying since 2005 that these guys would be the kings and it's nice to see others coming around as well.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 10:08:05 AM »
Awesome review, can't wait to see them on their halloween show, going to be epic :metal

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 10:44:58 AM »
i heard they have a new drummer.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:04:31 AM »
i heard they have a new drummer.
He used to be in Glasser.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »
I was at the very same show you were, Sam. It was indeed excellent, though I can't really say anything you haven't already. :tup

This was the setlist:

Nightmare
Critical Acclaim
Welcome To The Family (they gave Portnoy an awesome little intro here)
Beast and the Harlot
Buried Alive
So Far Away (dedicated to the Rev with more Portnoy lovin', the crowd really liked him)
Afterlife
God Hates Us
Unholy Confessions
Almost Easy

I know a lot of you may be thinking "that's a terrible setlist", but they put on a great show regardless. The Afterlife -> God Hates Us -> Unholy Confessions run was amazing.