Author Topic: Ambient music  (Read 3868 times)

Offline AndyDT

Ambient music
« on: September 23, 2010, 03:35:52 AM »
Does anybody listen to this kind of music?
I've been listening to some pieces by Thom Brennan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thom_Brennan) which is good for relaxation or inspiration, contemplation etc.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Re: Ambient music
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 04:20:01 AM »
One of my favourite genres of all

I personally don't get the "it's background music" argument, because if you take notice, you'll find most background music in ads, tv shows or anywhere is never actually ambient, it's usually some sort of inoffensive pop or rock. Ambient is simply too dynamic and subtle to be played with noise interference. So paradoxically to the stereotype, I'd say its some of the most engaging forms of music, best listened to on headphones in a quiet place  :)

There really is a plethora of great ambient artists, but my favourites would have to be Tangerine Dream, Aphex Twin, Bohren and der Club of Gore, Chroma Key, Tomáš Dvořák, Akira Yamaoka, Shpongle, The American Dollar, Nest, Global Communication, Brian Eno and Coil
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:50:56 AM »
I like the genre, but i'm not that familiar with many artists.
I really love Bass Communion, but i also like Chroma Key, The American Dollar and some Aphex Twin.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:16:06 AM »
Are these artists recording soundscapes or vocals or both?

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:42:44 AM »
Most of them are vocal-less. Shpongle, Nest and Chroma Key are the exception, but they are usually few and far between and don't detract from the atmosphere at all. The most soundscape-y bands there for me are probably Tangerine Dream, Bohren & der Club of Gore and Global Communication. Which co-incidentally happens to be my favourites :lol It's really cool when you can just sit back and let your imagination match the music to a scene or a setting

Here are some links to check out;

Tangerine Dream - Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8J2doVjui4

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Prowler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyfX1OR_nk

Global Communication - 14:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbUqAn0rmxs
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:53:52 AM by Portrucci »
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:48:42 AM »
I say it again, this is the best ambient song of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzN6gzMdZ_0

EXACTLY what I want from ambient.

Offline LTE

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »
Brian Eno, Aphex Twin, Benn Jordan (The Flashbulb), Boards of Canada, Biosphere, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Helios, Lustmord, Sleep Research Facility, The Orb, Steve Roach.

Some of my favorites artists either completely ambient or with heavy ambient styling.

One of my favorite genres, simply THE most beautiful music on the planet.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:00:14 AM »
On a related note, I'm liking the direction PT are taking by incorporating some ambient elements into their 'proper' songs, I'd like to see more bands try it.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 10:58:17 AM »
On a related note, I'm liking the direction PT are taking by incorporating some ambient elements into their 'proper' songs, I'd like to see more bands try it.
Yeah! I like bands that do that! Bands like Unexpect, Ulver, Agalloch (maybe?) and Pink Floyd in addition to PT comes to mind.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »
Yeah, those are all really good examples of that sort of thing. I agree with you on Agalloch doing it from what I've heard, their whole sound has a sort of ambient feel to it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »
Bass Communion is probably the best ambient music i know, ranging from very dreamlike soundscapes to more noise-influenced pieces.
I'm surprised actually that Portrucci didn't mention it, or maybe he isn't familiar with it.
Anyhow it's a sideproject by Steven Wilson, and even though his other work gets more attention (Porcupine Tree, producing for Opeth, Blackfield), Bass Communion is fantastic.
I would recommend the following albums depending on what you're looking for:

*Ghosts on Magnetic Tape - My personal favorite, pretty dark and experimental.. subtle and creepy stuff.
*Molotov and Haze - half of the album is focused on noise & very experimental stuff, the other half being dreamy & beautiful soundscapes.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »
Shpongle is so awesome!  Tangerine Dream is also really good. 

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »
Bass Communion is probably the best ambient music i know, ranging from very dreamlike soundscapes to more noise-influenced pieces.
I'm surprised actually that Portrucci didn't mention it, or maybe he isn't familiar with it.
I actually forgot about it, I only have Ghosts on Magnetic Tape, but from what I remember of my last listen it was very good. I'll look for that Molotov and Haze one as well  :tup

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 03:47:31 AM »
Most of them are vocal-less. Shpongle, Nest and Chroma Key are the exception, but they are usually few and far between and don't detract from the atmosphere at all. The most soundscape-y bands there for me are probably Tangerine Dream, Bohren & der Club of Gore and Global Communication. Which co-incidentally happens to be my favourites :lol It's really cool when you can just sit back and let your imagination match the music to a scene or a setting

Here are some links to check out;

Tangerine Dream - Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8J2doVjui4

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Prowler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyfX1OR_nk

Global Communication - 14:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbUqAn0rmxs
Thanks, the last one sounded quite emotive.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
Mega bamp

I just checked out Michael Stearns (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSUSXeurDNo) and it made my soul feel tingly. Other than Devy's Hummer album, I have little experience with ambient music, but I think I'm in love now. God bless the /mu/tard that showed me this.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »
Sounds promising. Hopefully I'll listen to this in the background a bit more next week.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »
God bless the /mu/tard that showed me this.

I don't believe this part, the link you posted isn't In the Aeroplane in the Sea.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline LTE

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 03:57:28 PM »
Or Loveless, or ITCOTCK, or MWPP....
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 04:01:54 PM »
I like ambient, but I have to be in the mood.  I can't listen to it all the time.

Also, interestingly enough, Brian Eno freaks out my dog big time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
Shpongle is so awesome! 

My neice slept over and she played this all night for us as we talked.  She loves them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »
i  :heart ambient

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
SWilson has some free ambient oldie stuff free here:

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wilson/tracks?page=2 (be sure to get the other 6 songs on the previous page)

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 12:31:31 AM »
God bless the /mu/tard that showed me this.

I don't believe this part, the link you posted isn't In the Aeroplane in the Sea.

The link I posted was the only thing in that thread that WASN'T In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Jokes aside, I love that album
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 03:54:00 AM »
Can't say I listen to ambient music actively, but I certainly appreciate a film with a good ambient score, such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSwyJ0aaM4k

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 12:48:52 AM »
Brian Eno, Aphex Twin, Benn Jordan (The Flashbulb), Boards of Canada, Biosphere, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Helios, Lustmord, Sleep Research Facility, The Orb, Steve Roach.

Some of my favorites artists either completely ambient or with heavy ambient styling.

I've only recently discovered Carbon Based Lifeforms and the whole psychill genre, but I love it so far.

My favourite artist atm is probably Magnus Birgersson aka Solar Fields (and his side project H.U.V.A Network). Aweomse stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiicwxXem-I

another good artist is Entheogenic.  :)

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »

I've only recently discovered Carbon Based Lifeforms and the whole psychill genre, but I love it so far.

My favourite artist atm is probably Magnus Birgersson aka Solar Fields (and his side project H.U.V.A Network). Aweomse stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiicwxXem-I

another good artist is Entheogenic.  :)

Just listened to solar fields on Amazon. Some of it sounds pretty hardcore, some more relaxing.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 01:29:43 PM »
Instead of all this, you can all just listen to the links they have on this Cracked article about what the planets sound like, and they actually all sound like ambient stuff.  :lol