Author Topic: Eminem - Not Afraid  (Read 4780 times)

Offline soundgarden

Eminem - Not Afraid
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »
This song rocks!  The chorus and especially the part "im standing up and im gonna face my demons..."

*Appreciates return of best rapper i ever heard*

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: I'm not afraid to take a stand... In this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:05:43 AM »
I loved it, until I heard the entire album and realized it barely cracked my top half. But still, a great song.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
Re: Eminem - Not Afraid
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »
I was always a  :sadpanda: when Eminem released new stuff after the Eminem show. Now, now, I'm  :metal
gone

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »
All of a sudden since the release of this song, all the preppy people that used to hate Eminem because of his vulgarity now love him because of this song's lyrics. I see excerpts from the lyrics on people's Facebook statuses all the time. ::) Kind of annoying, but it is a good song.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »
Welcome to 3 months ago.

But seriously, I really like the album! WAY better than Relapse and maybe his best stuff since The Eminem Show, apart from W.T.P. that's a bad song.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:08:43 PM »
I like it, but I don't understand all the craze over it.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: And yeah, WTP is pretty WTF
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
The craze s that Eminem released two great albums followed by an alright album. Then, he released a bad album, took five years off, and returned with a shitty album. Now he's back making great music again, and everyone's happy about that.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 06:41:07 PM »
I like it too. But I love a lot of Eminem's stuff also.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 06:43:30 PM »
I checked out his new album a couple months ago. The rapping was great. But I couldn't stand all the sampling and the shitty collaborations with people like lil wayne.

I guess thats why I don't listen to hip hop/rap often.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »
It wouldn't be bad if I didn't hear of it EVERY 5 FUCKING MINUTES.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
I checked out his new album a couple months ago. The rapping was great. But I couldn't stand all the sampling and the shitty collaborations with people like lil wayne.

Lil Wayne is the only other rapper on the album, and he only contributes one verse to one song. The other two collaborators just contribute vocals to the choruses of two songs. So, WTF are you talking about?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »

Lil Wayne is the only other rapper on the album, and he only contributes one verse to one song. The other two collaborators just contribute vocals to the choruses of two songs. So, WTF are you talking about?

:\

The vocals is what bothers me, I said I actually ENJOY the raps (not Lil Waynes though). I hate "singing" in hip hop because of how... artificial it sounds.

I can't really deal with the crappy hip hop singing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »
Again, there's only two collaborating singers, and each only sing on one song. That's it.

Eminem has always sung in his songs.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 07:55:11 PM »
Again, there's only two collaborating singers, and each only sing on one song. That's it.

Eminem has always sung in his songs.

?

I don't see where I said every song had collaborations. I just said I don't like the ones on there. The other problem I mentioned was the sampling, which is also used on a few songs.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm not even a prog snob, I was just saying what turned me away from enjoying the album more.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
I grew up on Eminem tbh. As has been hinted at greatly throughout my time on this forum, I'm not the happiest of people. I always found Eminem as one of those artists I could listen to and escape from my pain.

Favorite albums:
Marshall Mathers LP
Eminem Show
Slim Shady LP

Recovery

Encore

Relapse
gone

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:26:06 AM »
I don't see where I said every song had collaborations. I just said I don't like the ones on there. The other problem I mentioned was the sampling, which is also used on a few songs.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm not even a prog snob, I was just saying what turned me away from enjoying the album more.

And I'm just pointing out that the things you're complaining about are barely present. Saying you can't get into Recovery because of all the collaborations and shitty singers is like saying you can't get into "Awake" because of all the acoustic sections. Not that I care whether you like Recovery or not. I'm just pointing out that if you think there's alot of collaborations and shitty singers, maybe you should listen again. There's more "straight rap" on Recovery than most recent rap albums I've heard.

And no-one is "getting their panties in a bunch."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 07:53:22 AM »

And I'm just pointing out that the things you're complaining about are barely present. Saying you can't get into Recovery because of all the collaborations and shitty singers is like saying you can't get into "Awake" because of all the acoustic sections. Not that I care whether you like Recovery or not. I'm just pointing out that if you think there's alot of collaborations and shitty singers, maybe you should listen again. There's more "straight rap" on Recovery than most recent rap albums I've heard.

And no-one is "getting their panties in a bunch."

I think you're missing the point PC. I said I didn't like the songs with the things I mentioned. It doesn't make the album bad. I didn't say they overwhelm the album. I just said I am not a fan of those songs. Its no different from liking the Octavarium album but not liking Never Enough and I Walk Beside You. There are simply a couple of songs I don't like, and you are taking it to mean I think the whole album is bad/the whole album is like that.

And I don't see where I even said I can't get into Recovery. I said I can't get into a lot of hip hop because of the crappy vocals/bad sampling, but Eminem is one of the few rap artists I enjoy. I feel like you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. I like a lot of the album. I just don't like a few songs from it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:41 AM »
Oh.

Well, you should have said that then!  ;D

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 08:58:26 AM »
:lolpalm:
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »
Oh.

Well, you should have said that then!  ;D

:lol  ;)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 01:16:56 PM »
This was on the radio on the bus this morning :metal

(I know, lolhighscool)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 03:28:56 AM »
Honestly, while I loved the album when I picked it up, I really could give a rats ass about it now.

I think myself and most people are much more fond of the "idea" of an Eminem who's cleaned up and ready to kick ass than the so-called "recovery" we're presented with on, well, "Recovery."

Not that the album doesn't have it's great moments, but it does seem like Eminem's still in the gutter for most of it. And when he's not, he's cringe-inducingly optimistic "The days are cold, living without youuuuuu."

Moreover, Mathers can't focus on one topic long enough to make a consistent artistic statement. Though, as I'm sure he'd admit, he's not out to do that. He's just making rap records.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »
And when he's not, he's cringe-inducingly optimistic "The days are cold, living without youuuuuu."
About this particular song you're quoting, I give him a free pass. It's the first time he directly addressed his feelings towards Proof's murder.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: "I maybe made some mistakes... But I'm man enough to face them today." ~2002
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 10:46:39 PM »
I think myself and most people are much more fond of the "idea" of an Eminem who's cleaned up and ready to kick ass than the so-called "recovery" we're presented with on, well, "Recovery."

Haven't you followed Em's career at all? That's the only Em anyone's interested in. His past few records have all had a "This bullshit's behind me," vibe, whether it's a line or an entire song dedicated to it. Then he goes and does the same stuff, only to come back and say, again, "This bullshit's behind me, I mean it."

We don't want an Eminem who's clean, happy and living a responsible life as an upstanding PTA member and conscientious recycler. We want an Eminem who's fired up about personal injustices, real or manufactured, so that we can have an anthem to play in our heads when we think about how awful our boss is or how we're not gonna get down because that cute girl just got engaged to some douchebag. Eminem is our hip hop Jesus, rapping for our sins, only we get to see him crucify himself every few years. Then we adorn ourselves with our Shady hats or T-shirts in remembrance, follow his apostle 50 Cent, and await his next resurrection.

In the meantime, I totally think that the cute girl's gonna wake up and see that dude's just a tool pretty soon. I just gotta wait this shit out.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »
[quote author=LeeHarveyKennedy link=topic=16798.msg605634#msg605634
We don't want an Eminem who's clean, happy and living a responsible life as an upstanding PTA member and conscientious recycler. We want an Eminem who's fired up about personal injustices, real or manufactured, so that we can have an anthem to play in our heads when we think about how awful our boss is or how we're not gonna get down because that cute girl just got engaged to some douchebag. Eminem is our hip hop Jesus, rapping for our sins, only we get to see him crucify himself every few years. Then we adorn ourselves with our Shady hats or T-shirts in remembrance, follow his apostle 50 Cent, and await his next resurrection.
[/quote]

WTF is this?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
[quote author=LeeHarveyKennedy link=topic=16798.msg605634#msg605634

WTF is this?
[/quote]
Brilliance

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
I never been a big fan of his, and I don't think he's the best rapper alive (Although he is very good, i know of better MCs), but I
've been digging his most recent songs that I've heard. A lot.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 12:23:59 AM »
Quote from: LeeHarveyKennedy link=topic=16798.msg605634#msg605634

WTF is this?
Complete and utter brilliance!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: "I maybe made some mistakes... But I'm man enough to face them today." ~2002
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »

:rollin

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 05:30:33 PM »
I've been a huge Eminem fan since the very start and I do agree that the dark troubled Slim Shady persona was one of the main factors that made him interesting, a presence I haven't felt in Encore, Relapse or Recovery.
I think the concept of Eminem's very existence in music was presented and concluded in the first 3 albums which will always remain timeless masterpieces to me, the continuity of his struggle stories among them is irreplaceable, he has no more struggling themes, at least not interesting ones we wanna hear about.
When he remarried his ex-wife Kim a few years back I thought that would be the perfect end to that guy's story and musical career, leaving us wanting more and at the same time satisfying the goals that gave him the energy to start in the first place, didn't turn out that way.
In regards to Not Afraid and the whole Recovery album; I didn't like it that much, for starters it has too much singing and Eminem voice is not up to singing for more than a couple chorus lines and in silly joke mode, the other thing I don't like about that album -which it has in common with the previous two- is the lack of the complicated syllables play and amazing lyrical content Eminem's first 3 albums had.
I've only listened to it once and I'm gonna listen again cause I actually wanna like it, everyone says it kicks ass so I gotta understand why heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »
In my opinion, "Despicable" is by far the best new Eminem song.