Author Topic: Listen to Serj Tankians new album Imperfect Harmonies on UG, Full album!  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Slain

https://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/serjofficial/music/play898036

It's pretty cool, much more techno-keyboard stuff in it. What do you guys think? And don't turn this into a "GO BACK TO SOAD" thread, please.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Re: Listen to Serj Tankians new album Imperfect Harmonies on UG, Full album!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:03:09 PM »
Never liked System of a Down at all, but I kind of like the different flavors listening to the first few songs, and the lyrics sound actually really worth hearing.  I'll report again after a full listen, but so far pretty cool for the guy from a band I never liked...

Edit:  Yeah, this is pretty awesome actually.  Nice dynamics in the songs.  "Yes, It's Genocide" sounds really awesome right now. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
wow, from the the first two tracks, it sounds like System, backed by an orchestra, with hints of jazz and electronic

:metal

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:02:39 PM »
Never liked System of a Down at all, but I kind of like the different flavors listening to the first few songs, and the lyrics sound actually really worth hearing.  I'll report again after a full listen, but so far pretty cool for the guy from a band I never liked...

Edit:  Yeah, this is pretty awesome actually.  Nice dynamics in the songs.  "Yes, It's Genocide" sounds really awesome right now. 

nah it's not genocide.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »
SOAD is probably my most despised of all bands; they really make me quite unhappy.  I skimmed through this to see if I thought any different of Serj as a solo artist, and nope.  I always thought it was the guitarist that I hated so much, but it turns out to be Serj that I have a problem with.  Upon reaching that conclusion I listened to a couple of songs from Scars on Broadway.  Not bad at all.  So while I can't really say anything good about Imperfect Harmonies, at least it did give me some interesting insight. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »
SOAD is probably my most despised of all bands; they really make me quite unhappy.  I skimmed through this to see if I thought any different of Serj as a solo artist, and nope.  I always thought it was the guitarist that I hated so much, but it turns out to be Serj that I have a problem with.  Upon reaching that conclusion I listened to a couple of songs from Scars on Broadway.  Not bad at all.  So while I can't really say anything good about Imperfect Harmonies, at least it did give me some interesting insight. 

I heard SOAD's first two albums and absolutely despised them as well. Still, there has always been little parts I enjoyed. Listening to the first track from the new album there is a very specific thing or two I can point to and say I like what he did there, but overall this shit sucks.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:11 PM »
I loved Serj's first album, and I've really been looking forward to this one since "Borders Are" was released. It does not disappoint so far :metal

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 04:48:44 PM »
I've never really listened to this type of genre but I like what I'm hearing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 04:56:59 PM »
When it comes to anything that is SOTD or related, there are things I absolutly love and some I just can't listen to.  I guess the old fogey in me like the frenzied style of music if it is a bit streamlined.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »
I've never actually been annoyed by his style as many seem to have been.  Just something about System of a Down annoyed me that I couldn't put my finger on.  However, this sounds absolutely fantastic.  His voice is unique and adds a different flavor to all the music.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 08:31:21 PM »
It sounds pretty awesome. Just need another Scars on Broadway album now
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Slain

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 11:08:54 AM »
I wasn't a huge fan of SOB at all. But I really like Serj's voice, and usually people are pretty black and white on whether they like him or not. I've known people who completely hate his voice, and people that love it. Daron sounds awful, 95% of the time.

This new album doesn't seem to be as good as his last one, but there are a few that will stick with me.
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
I only have SOAD's first two albums, but they're both awesome. I probably won't be checking this out though.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Slain

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »
SOAD is probably my most despised of all bands; they really make me quite unhappy.  I skimmed through this to see if I thought any different of Serj as a solo artist, and nope.  I always thought it was the guitarist that I hated so much, but it turns out to be Serj that I have a problem with.  Upon reaching that conclusion I listened to a couple of songs from Scars on Broadway.  Not bad at all.  So while I can't really say anything good about Imperfect Harmonies, at least it did give me some interesting insight.  

I've never understood why people hate them so much, personally. It's not like they ever really created a scene, or image, or even belonged to any of those (well, besides the annoying mallcore fanbase they acquired, but that wasn't their fault). I guess it's just the sound.

One of the things I like the most about them is that they weren't afraid to change their sound completely (which they obviously did for each one, besides maybe steal this album) and didn't just say "Hey, let's remake Toxicity 10 times"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:21:59 AM by Slain »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
I agree. I consider Mezmerize and Hypnotize to be their best albums. The way Serj used the orchestra on his new album is pretty cool. I like it a lot nice way to mix that with electronic sounds.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 04:00:33 PM »
I am not a big SOAD fan but I am really loving Serj's album. The melodic atmosphere is definitely what pulls me in.

Heh, total opposite feeling here...I thought Scars on Broadway was garbage.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 11:18:53 PM »
This is pretty cool stuff.  I actually like Serj's solo stuff more than just about any SOAD.  It still has his weird sense of rhyme and melody, but isn't as manic or extreme as SOAD.  Yeah, I'm an old fogey.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 12:40:41 AM »
While I'm a fan of SOAD, and Serj's first solo album, I'm not diggin' this so far. It's...strange...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 05:23:19 AM »
I picked this up today.  I'm onto track 3 and it's really quite good.  Interesting and quite original music, I've always loved Serj's voice.  :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »
I've been able to listen a bit more thoroughly lately. I love it more every time I listen. It's great stuff. Not much like SOAD though, but that's a good thing - at least for my personal tastes. Sometimes the lyrics are kind of silly, but other than that the music is fantastic and I really didn't Serj was up to writing stuff like this.  :tup