Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 57923 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #315 on: July 12, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »
Funny you bring this up. I actually watched a season 27 episode last night after seeing a snippet on Youtube. A dream within a dream within a tattoo thing. Had a few good laughs but nothing to write home about, and given the whole meta-story angle it should have been a far better episode. That's normally where The Simpsons shines, but even that's not going so great anymore.

And I still maintain that the shortened episodes hurt their flow. Losing 1 minute per act doesn't sound like much, but it makes a big difference.

Also, I noticed that a few of the characters sound different now. I know the principals are all still there, but they didn't sound the same. I think Lenny (white) was the one that was most noticeable. Maybe age is just catching up to the voice acting now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: July 16, 2017, 12:26:22 AM »
Well Barto I'm back watching season 4. I finished season 27, effectively watching the entire series.
Watching season 4 again I recognize what you miss about the show from the early days, I've always claimed here that it remained enjoyable to me throughout and still feel that way, but I gotta admit it was more clever back then. Season post-10 still make me laugh but by different means than the earlier stuff.
Watching season 4 reminds me of how funny Barney was! And on the other hand, Nelson, who's on my top 5 Simpsons characters, was not at all funny back then.
Milhouse is comedy gold forever and always.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #317 on: July 16, 2017, 05:10:47 PM »
When you watched it happen in realtime the change was gradual enough that you didn't really notice. It's like losing your eyesight. The good episodes become fewer and further between and before too long entire seasons started to suck. When you jump backward or forward it becomes quite stark. I predominantly watch 3-7, so episodes from the latter seasons really stick out. You're seeing the same thing from the other direction.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: July 21, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
That's so true :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #319 on: July 24, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
My personal favorite season is 8.  Many of my top ten episodes are on there:  the Springfield Files (X-files spoof), the chili cook-off episode, the Hank Scorpio/Globex Corp episode,  My Sister My Sitter (I still quote that one all the time, every night when I say I'm going to "bread").  And a few more top 25 episodes.  Seasons 7-9 is what I consider my personal golden era season-wise.  Seasons 1-6 are good too.  After nine they started to drop off in quality (just my opinion of course)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #320 on: July 25, 2017, 10:56:11 AM »
The golden era for me is seasons 6-10. The real decline is after 12 or 13

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2018, 03:11:00 PM »
To this day, this might be my single favorite simpsons moment.

I remember the first time I saw it, I was just on the floor laughing. It this serious moment and then just out of nowhere, but yet its so in character for Mulder.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #322 on: April 01, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
To this day, this might be my single favorite simpsons moment.

I remember the first time I saw it, I was just on the floor laughing. It this serious moment and then just out of nowhere, but yet its so in character for Mulder.

They say something pretty funny about that scene in the episode commentary. I'll have to dig it up and listen to it. Been a bit since I listened to that commentary.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #323 on: October 28, 2018, 07:50:24 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: October 28, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
I saw that earlier, while there were a lot of jokes at his expense I don't think it's any more offensive than stuff they've done to other characters and far less offense than what other shows like Family Guy are.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #325 on: October 28, 2018, 10:17:07 AM »
.....30 years on the air and NOW it’s a problem?? Come on

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #326 on: October 28, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
Thats just nonsense. Other shows are way worse with it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #327 on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
Apu is being removed

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/apu-leaving-simpsons-racial-controversy-adi-shankar-matt-groening-a8604156.html

"Apu 'to be axed' from The Simpsons following racial controversy"

If I didn't quit watching the show 15 years ago this would have made me quit. Joke.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #328 on: October 29, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »
The funny part is that the guy who made the stink to begin with thinks they're even worse for getting rid of him. Really not sure of what he wanted. Presumably it was for them to stop treating him like an Indian stereotype, but what's funny about that? Does he want the show to stop being a comedy (in which case he's 20 years too late).
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #329 on: October 30, 2018, 08:27:00 PM »
Does everyone else imagine Apu saying it in your head every single time you put gas in your car and the reader says 'thank you come again' after you're done and putting the nozzle back?

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #331 on: November 12, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »
Saw this painting on Reddit. Thought it was pretty cool.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #332 on: November 12, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »
Its like he painted the Rick and Morty crossover intro. Thats cool though.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #333 on: July 25, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »
Marge: Come on, Homer. Japan will be fun! You liked Rashomon.
Homer: That's not how I remember it!

Only took me 22 years to get the joke.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #334 on: July 25, 2021, 01:18:54 PM »

Just to double-check you, how are YOU interpreting that?   :) :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: July 25, 2021, 03:01:24 PM »

Not following this thread but saw it in the "Recent Posts" and got a chuckle.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'