Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 57922 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »
What's that smell?

It smells like Otto's jacket.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
Just started season 9. Season 8 was as golden as seasons 4 and on!
Man I can see where 90% of FG ideas were inspired from. No disregard to the comedy on FG but a hell lot of outlines and concepts came from The Simpsons.
I haven't seen the new season premiere yet, has anyone?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2011, 02:33:30 PM »
Yeah.  Like most of the episodes from the last ten years,  it had a few good laughs but was otherwise forgettable.  In fact,  I just read the synopsis of it at the Simpsons Wiki, and most of it was news to me, despite seeing it 4 days ago. 

There is a point to be made, though.  I started watching season 12+ again a few weeks ago (halfway through 14 now), and while most of them are pretty average,  some of their finest work has been well after the golden era.  Sort of like Load and re-Load.  A helluva lot of filler with a couple of awesome tracks thrown in.  If I had to pick the best episode they ever did,  it might well be Trilogy of Error from S12.  While 12-14 largely suck,  I could name 2 or 3 episodes form each of them that are every bit as good as golden-age Simpsons.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2011, 02:40:07 PM »
If you had to pick one season that was THE The Simpsons, what would it be?

Kosmo

« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
I'd probably say six.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2011, 02:45:01 PM »
Four through six are about equal in awesomeness.  Without grading each episode, I couldn't decide it further.  Also worth noting is that season two doesn't get the credit it deserves.  The last few episodes of one and all of two are where the show really got it's wings.
E.F. Benson

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
Season 6 is probably the best season and showcases everything great about the show, although 4 is damn good.

I think season 2 has its fans. It wasn't as funny or crazy as it became a couple years later, but I like a lot of the stories and there's kind of a heartwarming aspect to it. Characterization was very good.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2011, 05:37:24 PM »
I've always thought season 6 was horrendously overrated. But that's just me I guess. As for a favourite season, I couldn't possibly pick. Hard to pick favourites with your favourite show of all time.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »
You're horrendously overrated.

One episode from season 6 I never liked, but seems like a huge fan favorite, is Lemon of Troy. *sits back and watches as everyone claims it's the best of the season*
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
"Its pronounced Chowder"
"Chau dier"
"Punches in face"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »
"Its pronounced Chowder"
"Chau dier"
"Punches in face"

:lol

"Mr. Mcclure, what does DNA stand for?"

*Looks at camera baffled, and shot cuts*

No matter how many times I see the old ones, they never stop being awesome.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2011, 10:30:51 PM »
Season 4 and Season 6 are god tier.

The run from episode 3 to 17(and to an extend to the end of the season) on season 6 is the best run on any show, ever in the history of everything.

Bart vs Australia is Amazing
and And Maggie Makes Three is one of the most touching episodes on the history of TV.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:03 PM »
A couple of things:
I understand the appeal of Bart and how he was a big hit in the early 90's but I don't like him that much. He's such an asshole for the most part and an annoying kid that I can't get to like. Almost at the start of season 10 now and I always feel for Lisa when he ruins something that's important to her and refuses to apologize. Especially when the show really puts emphasis on how disappointed she is.
He has hilarious pranks and I enjoy them, I don't hate him but I'm not a big fan.
Another thing is that as I enter season ten; I simply don't see myself hating the next bunch of seasons labeled "the decline" by most fans cause I found out that a good part of my attachments to an animated show is my enjoyment of voice acting, I love good voice acting and always fascinated by actors who can do multiple widely-different ones.
That's why FG decline didn't get me to stop watching it cause I enjoy Seth Green, Mike Henry and of course Seth Macfarlane. And now I'm also a big fan of  Dan Castellaneta's performances  (Grampa Simpson, Barney Gumble, Krusty, Willie & who knows what else) and I love recognizing him when he does other small one-time characters on the show too. Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns, Smithers, Flanders, Kent Brockman, Skinner, Otto) is equally amazing of course. I'll always enjoy that, I think.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
The recent negotiations were a pretty interesting situation.  The voice actors were willing to take monumental pay cuts in exchange for a small slice of the pie, which they couldn't get.  FOX apparently made it quite clear that under absolutely no circumstances would they ever get one cent from the back end.  The other interesting aspect of it is that FOX will actually make much more money from it's cancellation.  The current syndication contract is iron clad as long as the show is on the air.  The day it ceases production,  the syndication rights become subject to a new contract, which will presumably be worth more than a mid-sized country.  Perhaps that's part of the reason FOX is so against the idea of sharing the profits with the voice actors. 

That said,  HS was absolutely correct.  They all make a ridiculous amount of money, and there's no reason to feel bad for them.  He's got a great gig and he's quite happy with it.  I'm thrilled that they're all fabulously well paid,  but it would be cool for them to get some of the profits.  Frankly,  the voice actors are the reason the show is where it is; far more than the producers and the writers. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
That's interesting I didn't know about these negotiations. The actors deserve to be in on the profits since all other attractions of the show are long gone according to most fans.
FOX is filth incarnate and that's not new. But don't you think another network will pick it up if FOX cancels it? Pretty sure Comedy Central and TBS would be interested. I know FOX is paying ridiculous fortunes to Seth Macfarlane to keep him and his shows running no matter how low the ratings for some of the shows get.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »
Another thing is that as I enter season ten; I simply don't see myself hating the next bunch of seasons labeled "the decline" by most fans cause I found out that a good part of my attachments to an animated show is my enjoyment of voice acting, I love good voice acting and always fascinated by actors who can do multiple widely-different ones.

I think the voice acting on the show declined somewhat, probably due to the actors' aging. Especially Julie Kavner (Marge). Some of Harry Shearer's characters sound way different than they did years ago, like Skinner and Otto. And Homer's voice changed somewhere around Season 10, to the point where he just isn't as funny to me. He could say ANYTHING in Season 5 and it would be hilarious.

Too bad the show was picked up for 2 more seasons. I get no enjoyment out of it anymore. Some people might say, "if you don't watch it, why do you care if it's still on or not?" I care because all these crappy episodes are tainting the legacy of a once great show. Most episodes in syndication will be the Al Jean years, and a lot of younger people will never know how awesome it used to be.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2011, 03:24:14 PM »
Too bad the show was picked up for 2 more seasons. I get no enjoyment out of it anymore. Some people might say, "if you don't watch it, why do you care if it's still on or not?" I care because all these crappy episodes are tainting the legacy of a once great show. Most episodes in syndication will be the Al Jean years, and a lot of younger people will never know how awesome it used to be.
As if that didn't happen 8 years ago?  The thing is that plenty of the modern, crappy episodes still have some really funny gags in them,  they're just not solid as a whole like they used to be.  That makes them bearable for the most part.  Add to that,  once or twice a year they crank out a very good episode.  I've started keeping track of the highlights of the late era and there are some real gems in there.  When they do actually crank out a good episode,  it's as good as anything they did during the golden years.
E.F. Benson

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »
Yeah, it happened over 8 years ago. For a while, there was hope that things could maybe change, but now it's just atrocious. I'm not kidding...I've seen around 40 episodes from the last 10 seasons, and I think nearly all of them are below average to terrible. I almost never crack a tiny smile anytime I give the show a chance.

Something about Al Jean's showrunning style gets on my nerves (he and Mike Reiss were great back in the old days though). The obligatory music montages, the trying to be relevant by referencing flavor-of-the-month current pop culture, the attempts to be edgier to fit in with South Park and Family Guy, and so on.

I mean, in a new Treehouse of Horror segment, Homer communicates with his family by farting.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
I'm only caught up to season 15 in my re-watching, but I still recall a couple of good episodes since then.  Check out The Seemingly Never-ending Story from season 18.  Excellent work.  It's rare, but they still do something good from time to time. 
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2011, 04:22:01 AM »
I've felt the last 2 seasons have been very strong compared to the 10 year run before the last 2.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2011, 05:58:05 AM »
I heard on the radio this morning that 2 more seasons were signed.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2011, 06:06:02 AM »
Season 12, season 20, doesn't make a difference, it's all the same crap to me now. I stopped watching it full time somewhere around season 11, and catch a new episode every season or so. And every time I do, I just yell at the TV and leave disgusted. I can't even tell when they're attempting jokes most of the time. To differentiate any season since 2000 is just splitting hairs to me.
The voice acting can't even save it anymore. None of the characters sound right, because the voice actors have aged 20 years since they started, and all of the characters have become so one dimensional that they can't rely on the strength of their characters like they used to, and rely on the voice actor's ability to sell the point.
And the writing has become such rudimentary pop culture references, rather than the subtlety they used to have. Mapple? Wow, that is some clever stuff, guys. Some real original social commentary that delves deep.
Now they just have a character say "WWWWWHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA?" to everything, which makes me want to claw my ears out. No good episode has ever had a character say "WHAAAAAAAAAAA" in it.

I'm getting all worked up just thinking about new Simpsons. It's been embarrassing itself for so long that I forget it's even the same show that used to be so amazing. It had the best streak of great episodes of any show, then wiped it out with an even longer run of cringeworthy parody of itself.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2011, 07:34:33 AM »
Last week's episode (the one with the ex-government agent guy) reminded me of the Poochie episode where they brought in a meaningless character (Roy) that would disappear at the end and never come back. But in that episode they were making fun of other series that did that on a regular basis (it also served as a parallel to what was going on with Itchy and Scratchy in that story). It's weird how that's the norm for Simpsons episodes today.

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
It's been years since I've watched a new episode, because, yeah they got pretty bad. I think I'm going to watch this week's ep, I'm not excited about it, and mostly just watching it to see if my opinion's changed about the new ones.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
There was a time when The Simpsons owned my life.

But I haven't had the desire to watch a new episode in over 10 years.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »
I don't get the hate over the last 10 years. I mean I understand the last 3 or 4 years, but the stuff before that I thought has been solid as well.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2011, 10:03:45 PM »
I've never understood the view that the show transformed from the best thing on television into unwatchable crap from Seasons 9 to 10, within about three months. The beginning of a gradual decline, okay, that, I'll agree on.

The show peaked in 7/8/9, and, just as it had been slowly building before that, it started to slowly fall off after. Although the peak was over, it was still consistently excellent, to me, until the end of 13. 14 was the point at which the majority of episodes went from being good-brilliant to the majority being good-poor. There were still some really good ones, but they became rarer.

If I had to choose a point when I would stop watching the show before the decline had progressed so far, the show simply wasn't worth my time, and pretty much everything that was great about the show was lost, I'd say the end of Season 16.

I have seen a few recent episodes, and I will agree that it has picked up a little bit in the last season or two again, but not enough to redeem the show.

Last week's episode (the one with the ex-government agent guy) reminded me of the Poochie episode where they brought in a meaningless character (Roy) that would disappear at the end and never come back. But in that episode they were making fun of other series that did that on a regular basis (it also served as a parallel to what was going on with Itchy and Scratchy in that story). It's weird how that's the norm for Simpsons episodes today.
This is so true.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:24 PM »
Oh, and for a long time, I swore by the fact that my favourite episode was the New York one. I don't think I'd like to try to assign one episode that honour anymore, but that one would still be right up there. And the Frank Grimes one.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2011, 12:23:01 AM »
The decline was gradual. Season 9 is good, but it has a higher proportion of bad episodes than the seasons before. I also can feel a change in tone. Season 10 is noticeably worse, and became too Homer-centric and wacky, but I still enjoy a lot of it.

Season 11 is considered the worst by many fans, but I still like some of it even though it's obviously not even close to being as good as the classic years. I find Season 12 to be a big dip in quality, with few redeeming episodes. I pretty much gave up on the show after a few episodes of Season 13, but I have seen several episodes here and there from following seasons.

This is getting too negative...so um...Kent Brockman is a really funny character, and kind of underrated.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2011, 01:55:06 AM »
To me the gradual decline started with maybe season 7 or 8. Season 7 was still amazing, but not quite as godlike as season 6. Season 8 started to have some clunkers, and season 9 had some awful ones. Season 10 is the season I could even call good. It had some classics, and some garbage. There were one or two decent episodes in the couple of seasons after that, but it was mostly pretty bad. So the decline was over 3 or 4 years or so.

I saw some new episode just the other day. I'm not sure exactly how new, but by "new" I mean post-2001. Anyway, it was terrible. The storyline went a million miles a minute without purpose or progression, and had no regard for the characters or the town. It did wacky things that it never even dealt with, just so it could get from point A to point Z. I couldn't finish watching it, but I endured most of it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2011, 01:42:30 AM »
Season 10's Tree House of Terror was pretty awesome.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2011, 01:48:30 AM »
What one was that? I like a lot of the later Halloween episodes even in seasons I thought were terrible.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2011, 02:00:37 AM »
i watch the simpsons every now and then which really means that i watch the first 12 seasons straight over the course of a few days sometimes i just watch them over and over again for weeks like i have them playing constantly even when i am listening to music or something like that, it's always simpsons all the time suck my dick

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2011, 07:26:46 AM »
What one was that? I like a lot of the later Halloween episodes even in seasons I thought were terrible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treehouse_of_Horror_IX

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2011, 07:33:34 AM »
That one's alright. There are later ones I prefer more though.