Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 145555 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »
Okay that makes more sense. I was so conflicted there for a bit :lol
And regardless of talent, one must know their abilities more then anything.
You can't push yourself. You have to stick with what you can naturally do. Sure, the boundaries of that can be stretched, but you must always be aware of what your limitations are. If you are unhappy with them, learn proper ways to make such things smaller with practice.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2010, 02:58:41 AM »
https://nickyspanjaards.comule.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2

"constellation: Virgin"  :lol

sorry.... :rollin

Haha that's a great sense of humor, it made me laugh!  :biggrin:

@MykeHavoc:
Wow those are really good video's and you've indeed improved in those 5 years!

But what I also do with this video of The Hunter, is comparing it to the one I sang 4 months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLUWaDtgQRs

As all of you say, I still have pitch issues, but the vibrato now is better and I sing it with more power and in the chorus I have better control.

Time to do some homework now...  :smiley:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2010, 03:01:49 AM »
In the spirit of constructive criticism, I'm considering posting a recording of me just playing a song on guitar and singing along. I recorded this a couple hours ago, and basically just did everything in one go (just played while singing without really trying to cover up mistakes or do other takes or anything).

I'm considering posting this in the hopes that maybe one of you good singers here can give me some pointers, like "Oh, you need to work on your breathing." Or "Oh, your pitch is horrendous in certain areas. You should do this _____." Or "You just don't have a good voice for singing songs. Sorry!"

If people here think they could give those kind of tips just by listening to a poor recording of me playing along and singing a song through my laptop mic, then I'll be more than happy to upload it. If not, then I won't. As a reminder, I'm not looking to be a wailer or anything. Just trying to sound less terrible when I want to play guitar and sing and other people are around and all...

Let me know guys!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:09:52 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2010, 07:01:14 AM »
I wasn't talking smack, no worry :lol My point was that even at your first effort you had shown your talent clearly. And your second video was obviously better, but it was also obviously built on what was innate to you, as was visible from the first video.

rumborak
Its funny, Rummy. You have been brutally honest with Nicky, but he thanks you for asking him to trash Somewhere Over The Rainbow.
That's just funny to me. :lol

Nicky, good or bad vocals, your becoming a DTF icon! :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »
@PC, go ahead.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #180 on: October 16, 2010, 09:30:53 AM »
Here's some sound advice that will guarantee results. I know quite a few people who have done this and it's just one of those things that sometimes gets overlooked. Join a choir. Now I'm not talking about a high profile choir I'm talking about a church choir or similar. It may sound strange perhaps especially if you are not the religious type, but I again, some of these people who joined aren't religious either. The reason behind a choir is thus: 1) you will get hands on instruction from someone who is knowledgable. The church pays these people and they will hire only those who have the experience. Most choir directors I know have some musical degree or a ton of background. 2) It's free and you learn a LOT 3) You will correct any and all pitch issues if you stick with it because you have no choice but to be in pitch. Now I know you are ambitious so I'm sure you would work hard in such a project and I'm very sure that noticable improvement would happen after 6 months and after 1 year you should have most of the pitch issues resolved. Now sure, there are some choirs out there that are quite bad and their are some choirs out there that are good. Look for the good ones. Most of the time high profile churches will employ a good music director and the church will have a compentent choir. Not sure what choirs you have in Sweden, but hopefully this isn't hard to make happen.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »
Netherlands, not Sweden. :D

But, I second the idea of a choir, that is a very good suggestion. I used to sing one in highschool (tenor), and it teaches you a LOT. Holding your pitch only one full note away from your neighbor (in the case of a #9 chord for example) is challenging, and rewarding when you realize you are on.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2010, 10:04:42 AM »
In the spirit of constructive criticism, I'm considering posting a recording of me just playing a song on guitar and singing along. I recorded this a couple hours ago, and basically just did everything in one go (just played while singing without really trying to cover up mistakes or do other takes or anything).

I'm considering posting this in the hopes that maybe one of you good singers here can give me some pointers, like "Oh, you need to work on your breathing." Or "Oh, your pitch is horrendous in certain areas. You should do this _____." Or "You just don't have a good voice for singing songs. Sorry!"

If people here think they could give those kind of tips just by listening to a poor recording of me playing along and singing a song through my laptop mic, then I'll be more than happy to upload it. If not, then I won't. As a reminder, I'm not looking to be a wailer or anything. Just trying to sound less terrible when I want to play guitar and sing and other people are around and all...

Let me know guys!
Bring it on!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »
BTW Nicky, when we give you the advice, we didn't really mean "try this for a week or two then come back". We meant more like.....several months at the very least. It takes a long time. Take 6 months, practice a LOT, then come back and post a video. Not next week, not in 3 weeks, 6 months.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Vivace

« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
Netherlands, not Sweden. :D

But, I second the idea of a choir, that is a very good suggestion. I used to sing one in highschool (tenor), and it teaches you a LOT. Holding your pitch only one full note away from your neighbor (in the case of a #9 chord for example) is challenging, and rewarding when you realize you are on.

rumborak

My Dad sings choir constantly and when I visit and he's scheduled to sing I am usually invited to sing with them however when they do the multiple voices stuff I usually sit that out. That's a lot harder than it looks.  :eek

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
First of all, I think it's high time this gets moved to the Musicians forum, we stopped talking DT a long time ago in this thread.

Second, I'm not a singer so I won't critique your singing, but when you post stuff like this:

In the fall of 2009 Nicky was deadly ill after food poisoning. He had to throw up all the time. He ruptured his vocal chords and after that he couldn't even sing anymore. Nicky went to a doctor and the doctor said he should rest his voice for half a year. Nicky didn't, in fact he was in the middle in a record of his debut album with Century Crash. His voice was far from normal. He lost a part of his vocal range, the voice cracked most of the time, was weak and it was fast tired.

He had to begin to train his voice all over again. It was going so bad that he was mostly of the time very stressed, depressive and crying of despair. He trained his voice with some of his own songs, which he twisted even more by singing it very different at most points. Half a year later he felt his voice felt stronger then ever before. Century Crash went their own way because the guitarist leaved. Nicky leaved too and placed an advertisement on a music site.

In February 2010 he got a girlfriend. By all the support and love she gave him his voice is now how it is meant to be, full of power and with a big vocal range, so he says.

I can't take this seriously.  It just screams "bat-shit crazy".  It's one thing to emulate your heroes, but to take their experiences and and claim them as your own is just moronic.  I take you probably don't get Seinfeld over there, but until you can back up this insanity, I'm going to mock you and call you Peterman. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »
First of all, I think it's high time this gets moved to the Musicians forum, we stopped talking DT a long time ago in this thread.

Second, I'm not a singer so I won't critique your singing, but when you post stuff like this:

In the fall of 2009 Nicky was deadly ill after food poisoning. He had to throw up all the time. He ruptured his vocal chords and after that he couldn't even sing anymore. Nicky went to a doctor and the doctor said he should rest his voice for half a year. Nicky didn't, in fact he was in the middle in a record of his debut album with Century Crash. His voice was far from normal. He lost a part of his vocal range, the voice cracked most of the time, was weak and it was fast tired.

He had to begin to train his voice all over again. It was going so bad that he was mostly of the time very stressed, depressive and crying of despair. He trained his voice with some of his own songs, which he twisted even more by singing it very different at most points. Half a year later he felt his voice felt stronger then ever before. Century Crash went their own way because the guitarist leaved. Nicky leaved too and placed an advertisement on a music site.

In February 2010 he got a girlfriend. By all the support and love she gave him his voice is now how it is meant to be, full of power and with a big vocal range, so he says.

I can't take this seriously.  It just screams "bat-shit crazy".  It's one thing to emulate your heroes, but to take their experiences and and claim them as your own is just moronic.  I take you probably don't get Seinfeld over there, but until you can back up this insanity, I'm going to mock you and call you Peterman. 
He can't sing a single not on key, yet he has his own official web site, and his own Nicky Spanjaaaaaaards messegeboard? I'm starting to  really question the sanity of this kid. For real, I truly do.
The more of this crap I see the more I believe he will never be anything as a singer because all is, is a promoter of himself. His band isn't half bad. He should hire a replacement singer for himself, and then manage and promote the band. He would be good at it.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
Is he really 19 years old?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »

I doubt it, you can start balding at a very early age but 19 is pushing it. The receding hairline and bald spot on the back of his head would suggest older than 19.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2010, 03:51:21 PM »
Nope. A guy on my course has been balder than him since he was 18.

In fact, he has to wear a hat all the time to hide how bald he is.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
Yeah, I know a guy who was noticeably balding at about 17. It happens.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »

I doubt it, you can start balding at a very early age but 19 is pushing it. The receding hairline and bald spot on the back of his head would suggest older than 19.
His actions strongly support that he is 19 years old.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2010, 04:53:09 PM »

Friend of mine started losing it when he was 16.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2010, 05:16:13 PM »

Friend of mine started losing it when he was 16.

I don't know how soon you can lose your hair, but Peterman is certainly showing you can lose your mind at any age.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »
Guys, let's take it easy.  Some of the comments here make me cringe, but I've been trying not to say anything.  Polite constructive criticism is one thing.  But making fun of a guy's physical appearance and calling him crazy is another.  It's almost like cyber bullying.  He's not a punching bag.  He's a teenager still.  

So what if he has his own website and forum?  Every teenage band in the world does now on MySpace and other music websites that let you leave comments and discuss.  Nicky is just extra passionate and put in time and energy to make his website more professional.  Good for him.  I like his go-getter attitude.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »
Guys, let's take it easy.  Some of the comments here make me cringe, but I've been trying not to say anything.  Polite constructive criticism is one thing.  But making fun of a guy's physical appearance and calling him crazy is another.  It's almost like cyber bullying.  He's not a punching bag.  He's a teenager still.  

So what if he has his own website and forum?  Every teenage band in the world does now on MySpace and other music websites that let you leave comments and discuss.  Nicky is just extra passionate and put in time and energy to make his website more professional.  Good for him.  I like his go-getter attitude.
This. Some of you guys are being complete douches.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2010, 07:39:05 PM »

That's your opinion.
 Nicky isn't very good. That's the general view, period. Should we lie to him or just be fake because he decides to post his crappy vocals publicly? Its his choice to put himself out there? You are owed nothing!
Who are you to call us a douche? If you want to kiss his ass go right ahead, but don't get self righteous with us for being honest with him. If you are going to put yourself out there, you get what you get, and you don't get upset. Period.

LET ME SAY IT ONCE MORE SO ITS CLEAR...
IF YOU START YOUR OWN THREAD IN THE DREAM THEATER SECTION OF A DREAM THEATER BOARD PROMOTING YOURSELF AS A VOCALIST AND YOUR NOT ANY GOOD, YOU WILL GET WHAT THE MEMBERS DEEM FIT!
If you want nice, don't start the thread and you have no worries.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:53:41 PM by tick »

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »

There's a difference in creating a facebook to talk to all of your friends and making a forum specifically dedicated in your honor because you think you're going to be the next big sensation. It leaves the impression that your head is pretty high in the clouds and can be viewed very negatively by a lot of people. I think its somewhat arrogant of him to do so, but whatever floats his boat.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2010, 09:16:03 PM »

You want to know why I called him crazy?  Because he's dillusional, which is within the spectrum of mental illness, which we colloquially call "crazy".  That has been my only criticism of him, and I stand by it.  I don't fault him for singing, posting samples of his work for crtique, etc.  But when you start reimagining your life - particularly in the same manner of someone you emulate - that's a sign of mental illness.  You can't just go around propagating lies, I chose to call him out on it.  Everyone I know has thrown up at somepoint in their lives, so I find it extremely unlikely that Nicky suffered the same freak accident that happened to his idol.

Like Tick said, if you are going to put yourself out there, be ready to deal with real feedback; and regardless of what you are posting or why you are posting it for fucks sake BE HONEST.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
Not to mention it took JLB ten years to heal, but him only 6 months. Now he is better than evaR!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2010, 09:27:01 PM »
Alright guys, in spirit of constructive criticism I've uploaded a video of myself singing Avenged Sevenfold's So Far Away. My mic sucks, so please excuse all the buzzing and stuff.

Also, I'm not asking if my vocals are GOOD or not, because I know that they aren't at all. I'm just looking for tips. What I should look into (pitch, breathing, something else?). But if you want to bash me, go ahead! I could care less. It'll be fun  :D

https://www.sendspace.com/file/qtga34

And feel free to critique my guitar playing too. I've been playing for 10 years, on and off, but I almost never use acoustic. So I'm still not even really sure how to strum away on the acoustic and have it not sound like shite. lol.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »

That's your opinion.
 Nicky isn't very good. That's the general view, period. Should we lie to him or just be fake because he decides to post his crappy vocals publicly? Its his choice to put himself out there? You are owed nothing!
Who are you to call us a douche? If you want to kiss his ass go right ahead, but don't get self righteous with us for being honest with him. If you are going to put yourself out there, you get what you get, and you don't get upset. Period.
There's a difference between being honest and being a douche.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
Ok, I'll try to explain maybe where they're coming from.

1. He posted his stuff on the DT part of the forum, saying he'll take requests. That kind of says that he had some pretty high thoughts of his voice.
2. His videos are mostly him trying to act like a rock star, with all the head banging and moving around and hand motions and so forth, especially when they're just supposed to showcase his voice.
3. He has his own forum with no members as far as I know. Why would a 19 year old kid need an official forum? You have to earn things like that by having fans, he has none outside of his friends/family, none of which needs a forum.
4. He has a rather insane biography section. No 19 year old with no experience needs any kind of bio, especially one like that. And the food poisoning thing is just odd and strange. It just makes him look like he takes himself WAY too damn seriously.
5. Despite all of our actual cricitism, he keeps posting videos and hasn't gotten better. Why? Because it's been a month. Who gets better in a month? No one. We suggested taking a very long time to tone and perfect his voice, and all he did was post more videos of him still singingly poorly.
6. It seems his friends and family give him absolutely nothing but praise and adoration. None of us need to. Especially since he isn't very good. And he's not 8 years old, he doesn't need us to let him know that he's special and that he can do anything. He's an adult, and we're treating him like one.

If he was WAY more humble, took himself seriously and just acted like a 19 year old guy who's learning how to sing, instead of a rockstar who needs to catch a break, we'd show him more respect. But as of now, he has done very very little to earn our respect.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »
Ok, I'll try to explain maybe where they're coming from.

1. He posted his stuff on the DT part of the forum, saying he'll take requests. That kind of says that he had some pretty high thoughts of his voice.
2. His videos are mostly him trying to act like a rock star, with all the head banging and moving around and hand motions and so forth, especially when they're just supposed to showcase his voice.
3. He has his own forum with no members as far as I know. Why would a 19 year old kid need an official forum? You have to earn things like that by having fans, he has none outside of his friends/family, none of which needs a forum.
4. He has a rather insane biography section. No 19 year old with no experience needs any kind of bio, especially one like that. And the food poisoning thing is just odd and strange. It just makes him look like he takes himself WAY too damn seriously.
5. Despite all of our actual cricitism, he keeps posting videos and hasn't gotten better. Why? Because it's been a month. Who gets better in a month? No one. We suggested taking a very long time to tone and perfect his voice, and all he did was post more videos of him still singingly poorly.
6. It seems his friends and family give him absolutely nothing but praise and adoration. None of us need to. Especially since he isn't very good. And he's not 8 years old, he doesn't need us to let him know that he's special and that he can do anything. He's an adult, and we're treating him like one.

If he was WAY more humble, took himself seriously and just acted like a 19 year old guy who's learning how to sing, instead of a rockstar who needs to catch a break, we'd show him more respect. But as of now, he has done very very little to earn our respect.
Understandable I guess. I'll leave y'all alone.  :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »
Anyways, to Nicky, you really do need vocal training. Your voice is good, but you seem to have no control over it. You gotta harness control before you can really be a good vocalist.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2010, 11:56:36 PM »
Alright guys, in spirit of constructive criticism I've uploaded a video of myself singing Avenged Sevenfold's So Far Away. My mic sucks, so please excuse all the buzzing and stuff.

Also, I'm not asking if my vocals are GOOD or not, because I know that they aren't at all. I'm just looking for tips. What I should look into (pitch, breathing, something else?). But if you want to bash me, go ahead! I could care less. It'll be fun  :D

And feel free to critique my guitar playing too. I've been playing for 10 years, on and off, but I almost never use acoustic. So I'm still not even really sure how to strum away on the acoustic and have it not sound like shite. lol.
I'll leave the more detailed explanations to more knowledgeable singers than me, but it sounds like the biggest thing you need to work on is breathing/breath support. That'll help your power, as well as your tendency to really tense/tighten your throat on the higher notes, which is hurting your tone and your pitch.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2010, 12:47:17 AM »

I'll leave the more detailed explanations to more knowledgeable singers than me, but it sounds like the biggest thing you need to work on is breathing/breath support. That'll help your power, as well as your tendency to really tense/tighten your throat on the higher notes, which is hurting your tone and your pitch.

first of all thanks for sharing...

I concur. I can tell without even looking at a video you are not "opening" your mouth. This is a problem I have as well and because of this the voice sounds nasal. First rule in a powerful full voice, open the mouth, not horizontally but vertically. This is the first thing my instructor pointed out as well. He basically told me to sing an "o". Then he said, now, take in a full breath, open your mouth like this (showing a vertically opened mouth) and sing and boom out came a tall voice. This is very hard to maintain especially if you are not used it. Best advice here is practice with a guitar and do the vocal progressions paying attention to how your mouth is shaped. It should be opened tall, not wide. Now this isn't how it should be 100%. I man look at JLB when he sings, in many ways he looks like he's open both wide and tall. Also there is something when it comes to the tongue, but someone who is more experienced needs to talk about that. I forgot the importance of it and what you are supposed to do. Apparently though the tongue plays a VERY important part in getting that "open" and "relaxed" feel to your voice. I don't think I can offer much more than that. I'm going off of memory and even I am way out of practice.

Thanks to this thread I'm now thinking when I get back to the states that I might sign up for singing lessons at the local college or maybe find a vocal coach in town since the local college is 40 minutes away. :(

again thanks for sharing. Brave man you are. Braver than I.  :metal

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2010, 03:14:30 AM »
For the record, my hair fell out at 21. And I hadn't really noticed Nicky's receding hairline. I'd kill for locks like that nowadays :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »
 Like DTVT said, I think the reality is, he is a bit mentally ill. Perhaps that would be the one reason to call off the dogs. He just isn't right.
Adami was spot on. Well said.
LLTWM. Thanks for once again calling us douches.
PC. I'm sorry, I wasn't able to hear your tune. Not sure what that link was?