Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 145563 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2010, 02:12:37 PM »
King, I'd like you to me a favor. Find out the exact part of your brain that controls your jokes. Then make sure it's in your will and on your driverse liscence that when you die, you'll donate that part of your brain to me.

Once it's all signed and so forth, let me know. I'll take care of the rest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2010, 02:21:47 PM »
King, I'd like you to me a favor. Find out the exact part of your brain that controls your jokes. Then make sure it's in your will and on your driverse liscence that when you die, you'll donate that part of your brain to me.

Once it's all signed and so forth, let me know. I'll take care of the rest.

I'll do it it you take my sexy midriff.  I need to loose that too.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
:rollin

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2010, 04:03:54 AM »
Oh shut up you bastards!!!  >:( All those stupid jokes of yours!
I try to improve my voice and share my video's for advice/comments. But all I get by most of you (not all, some gave really good advice) is those focking jokes and comments that hurt me badly!  :angry:

I want to share a new video, of Era IV in the repetition room. The last two months I trained my voice really hard and I want to know if you also think my voice is improved since last video's. This is our cover of The Hunter of Iced Earth.

https://vimeo.com/15867595

Well of course you are going to make new jokes, but all I want is some advice/comments.
Of course I love jokes and of course you can post them here, but if you want to post stupid jokes, please post them in another thread where I won't read them.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2010, 04:07:26 AM »
The video almost gave me a seizure, but it sounds pretty good form what I could tell.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2010, 04:15:15 AM »
The video almost gave me a seizure, but it sounds pretty good form what I could tell.

Yeah we had the yellow light a bit too bright for the camera. This evening we are going to dim it a bit.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2010, 05:58:47 AM »
Oh shut up you bastards!!!  >:( All those stupid jokes of yours!
I try to improve my voice and share my video's for advice/comments. But all I get by most of you (not all, some gave really good advice) is those focking jokes and comments that hurt me badly!  :angry:

I want to share a new video, of Era IV in the repetition room. The last two months I trained my voice really hard and I want to know if you also think my voice is improved since last video's. This is our cover of The Hunter of Iced Earth.

https://vimeo.com/15867595

Well of course you are going to make new jokes, but all I want is some advice/comments.
Of course I love jokes and of course you can post them here, but if you want to post stupid jokes, please post them in another thread where I won't read them.
Grow up Nicky. You keep posting this stuff and setting yourself up for abuse and you have the nerve to be angry about it?
I think that video is just further evidence that you can't sing in key.

I tried offering up some constructive criticism by recommending you lay low and focus on actually becoming a quality vocalist instead of wasting your time filming yourself.
Reality. Your not very good at this time. Posting videos of yourself will not change that. Hard work will. Stop being angry for being inept and do your homework! You sing so off key I am shocked when a note you sing is not a sour one. Your teacher blows, that's obvious.   
I would like to see a video of him singing? That would be interesting.
 :heart
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:29:50 AM by tick »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2010, 07:30:13 AM »
Dude, tick, did you really think it was that bad? The latest video isn't fantastic, but it's certainly good compared to what I've heard come out of most high-school band basements. Nicky would be "good enough" for rock'n roll if he got realistic about his image and upper register. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:34 AM »
Dude, tick, did you really think it was that bad? The latest video isn't fantastic, but it's certainly good compared to what I've heard come out of most high-school band basements. Nicky would be "good enough" for rock'n roll if he got realistic about his image and upper register. 
I'm being completely honest PC. I have an ear that hears flat notes and pitch problems and that video is loaded with them. The music being loud is the only thing that helps save him at all. Yeah, I really do think its that bad, sorry.

When I watch past live performances of myself recorded at gigs I cringe when I hear myself hit a flat note. It happens. Whenever Nicky hits a note on key, its a rarity. He needs to stop all the bullshit and hon his craft. He needs ALOT of work, but with the proper training there is hope cause he has untapped potential. I want to hear his teacher justify himself if he gets paid to teach this kid. He should be ashamed of himself. Maybe he is tone deaf?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »
Dude, you really don't have to apologize for disagreeing with me. There have been plenty of times where I've seen singers sing and thought it was awesome, only to have my friend like wow that completely sucked minutes later ESPECIALLY at live concerts. So don't worry. I play guitar, but my ear isn't that great. I can tell when my guitar is out of tune, but when people are singing, unless there more they're at least a half-step off I don't notice.

If I had been sitting in Nicky's basement, drinking his beer and watching that, I probably would've thought it was cool. Not lying there. But, again, I don't really know when someone's a tiny bit off. Awhile ago, I showed a friend some James LaBrie live stuff. They're singers, and they were cringing at how flat he sounded a lot of the time. Weird thing is, they were cringing at parts that I thought were amazing, too.

But, on an unrelated note, I'd like to learn how to singer a bit better, just so I don't come off as a complete tool when I'm playing/singing songs on my guitar. Any tips?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:38 AM »
I actually think he sounded pretty good in the new video!  I hear progress.  Nice scream at the end!  Keep working hard, Nicky!  Maybe I thought it was better because it was original music this time and I didn't feel myself comparing him to LaBrie, who is tough to match for anyone.  It's like American Idol contestants singing Mariah Carey songs.  
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:50 AM »

But, on an unrelated note, I'd like to learn how to singer a bit better, just so I don't come off as a complete tool when I'm playing/singing songs on my guitar. Any tips?
The biggest tip is to find out what vocal range you fall in. That helps greatly. Stay in your range and stay within yourself. Know your limitations. Just because a singer can't sing a certain range doesn't mean he can't be good. If I was trying to sing Dream Theater it wouldn't be that good if I tried to do it in James range. I would need to take it down an octave.
Also breathing is key. You need to sing from your belly and not your head. I learned that lesson the hard way. Major headaches when you sing improperly! Every line you deliver should be followed by a full tank of air. In other words, don't sing multiple sentences in one full breath.
That's the best I can offer as I'm not a teacher.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2010, 08:00:43 AM »

The biggest tip is to find out what vocal range you fall in.

This is by far my biggest issue. How do you find out?  I sing high, and all the sudden the song is too high. I sing low, and all the sudden it's too low. lol.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:50 AM »

This is by far my biggest issue. How do you find out?  I sing high, and all the sudden the song is too high. I sing low, and all the sudden it's too low. lol.

You just sing. Start on middle C and do a standard voice tone up to the 5 and back down again. Go up until you start to strain. This will be obvious. Then go back down past middle C and as far as you can go before again you start to strain, and again it will be obvious. That right there is your normal voice range. Now there is a head voice as well which is used and practiced properly can increase your range significantly and then there is falsetto. Your head voice and falsetto are really two different things. It's all about where that voice is coming from (I think).

Pitch is all about practice and this where having a vocal coach who isn't tone deaf knows what he is doing. He will have you start in your middle range and you will move up the scale. If you are off pitch, he will let you know (one would hope). There are MANY different ways to help your improve your pitch. One way is to hear the note, then hum the note making sure you match, then you move from the hum, open the mouth and sing the note. There are many other ways to improve pitch but if you find yourself without a teacher, the humming technique works just so as long as you are not tone deaf and can hear when your hum and the note are one. This takes practice. I trained with a vocal coach for about 4 months once and did notice an improvement but when he had to leave I also noticed my voice suffered since the training stopped. Practice, practice, practice. But all the practice in the world isn't going to help you if you cannot first breathe correctly and know the correct pitch. Having a piano or a pitch finder is essential. Piano is far easier since you can simply move up and sing along as you play. You don't need to know how to play, you just need to know the chord you are trying to sing. For example, you want to practice singing in D Major today. Great, well as long as you know the notes for D Major then no problem. Start on D and just move up the scale to the fifth and back down again. Once finished just move up one step in the scale. It's always a good idea to start on C Major. Master C Major first, then move on to another key, maybe A minor. After that I would go up to G Major as G is the fifth of C which means one extra sharp and so on. Another thing to do is to just practice singing up whole notes. This is what my vocal coach did with me. That is the five notes we sang ran up the piano on whole steps only. There were no half steps for me too sing. I think this is standard but I'm not sure. Nothing is stoping you from doing either or both. I think it's a matter of preference and ease.

Vocal training for absolute beginners in my opinion requires a vocal coach. One you learn the basics you can train yourself to a point. After that there are then techniques that may want to master, for example, how to sing higher, lower, longer, voice control, maybe you want to learn how to make your voice raspy, to scream, etc.

Nicky's new video is ok. He's still off pitch but all he's really doing that's an improvement is he's sticking to his range. He still needs to get his pitch fixed. I highly recommend him to sit by a piano and practice the humming technique described above. Stop trying to emulate other singers and first learn what it means to be on pitch. For me, this is the hardest part of singing as I am usually off pitch myself. I tried very hard once to sing Metropolis and I gave it the best I could, and when the reviews came in I agreed 100%, I was 50/50 on and off and that song is way beyond my normal range of singing and I shouldn't even touch it right now. Sing what you know and sing what you can easily touch. Let the challenges come later. For me actually I love practicing against Depeche Mode as Gahan's range and my range are practically the same however the trick is not to try and sing like Gahan. I mean the guy does have 20+ years of experience. Of course his voice is going to be 1000x more professional.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:32:51 AM by Vivace »
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2010, 09:35:13 AM »
I actually think he sounded pretty good in the new video!  I hear progress.  Nice scream at the end!  Keep working hard, Nicky!  Maybe I thought it was better because it was original music this time and I didn't feel myself comparing him to LaBrie, who is tough to match for anyone.  It's like American Idol contestants singing Mariah Carey songs.  

It wasn't original. It was an Iced Earth cover called The Hunter, which is actually a great song.

That said, sorry Nicky but it was quite bad.

You can't complain that we're not giving you constructivie criticism at this point either. You have pages of honest realistic criticism, and what do you? You say "thanks! here's another video". You completely ignore all of our suggestions and just keeping throwing more at us expecting us to randomly start being nicer about it. It doesn't work that way. When you get better, post a video. Wait till then though, right now....stop posting samples, it's not helping.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2010, 09:37:39 AM »
Actually, I have to comment on this, the drummer in that new video is very solid. Listen to the double-bass work, it's pretty nice.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2010, 09:48:51 AM »
BTW, Nicky, you say you do requests. Here's a request actually: I think it would be interesting to hear you sing "Somewhere over the rainbow" (I take it you know the tune, if not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRa4X07jdE ). Just the chorus itself, in a key of your choice (i.e. bring it down to a key that's comfortable to you).

If you are convinced you have no pitch issues, you should have no problems with this tune. Oh, and no background music, no singing over the Youtube video or something, just your vocals. The trick about this tune is that it has a lot of very interesting intervals in there, and your innate sense of pitch is tested with this tune.

rumborak

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2010, 09:58:54 AM »

This is by far my biggest issue. How do you find out?  I sing high, and all the sudden the song is too high. I sing low, and all the sudden it's too low. lol.

You just sing. Start on middle C and do a standard voice tone up to the 5 and back down again. Go up until you start to strain. This will be obvious. Then go back down past middle C and as far as you can go before again you start to strain, and again it will be obvious. That right there is your normal voice range. Now there is a head voice as well which is used and practiced properly can increase your range significantly and then there is falsetto. Your head voice and falsetto are really two different things. It's all about where that voice is coming from (I think).

Pitch is all about practice and this where having a vocal coach who isn't tone deaf knows what he is doing. He will have you start in your middle range and you will move up the scale. If you are off pitch, he will let you know (one would hope). There are MANY different ways to help your improve your pitch. One way is to hear the note, then hum the note making sure you match, then you move from the hum, open the mouth and sing the note. There are many other ways to improve pitch but if you find yourself without a teacher, the humming technique works just so as long as you are not tone deaf and can hear when your hum and the note are one. This takes practice. I trained with a vocal coach for about 4 months once and did notice an improvement but when he had to leave I also noticed my voice suffered since the training stopped. Practice, practice, practice. But all the practice in the world isn't going to help you if you cannot first breathe correctly and know the correct pitch. Having a piano or a pitch finder is essential. Piano is far easier since you can simply move up and sing along as you play. You don't need to know how to play, you just need to know the chord you are trying to sing. For example, you want to practice singing in D Major today. Great, well as long as you know the notes for D Major then no problem. Start on D and just move up the scale to the fifth and back down again. Once finished just move up one step in the scale. It's always a good idea to start on C Major. Master C Major first, then move on to another key, maybe A minor. After that I would go up to G Major as G is the fifth of C which means one extra sharp and so on. Another thing to do is to just practice singing up whole notes. This is what my vocal coach did with me. That is the five notes we sang ran up the piano on whole steps only. There were no half steps for me too sing. I think this is standard but I'm not sure. Nothing is stoping you from doing either or both. I think it's a matter of preference and ease.

Vocal training for absolute beginners in my opinion requires a vocal coach. One you learn the basics you can train yourself to a point. After that there are then techniques that may want to master, for example, how to sing higher, lower, longer, voice control, maybe you want to learn how to make your voice raspy, to scream, etc.

Nicky's new video is ok. He's still off pitch but all he's really doing that's an improvement is he's sticking to his range. He still needs to get his pitch fixed. I highly recommend him to sit by a piano and practice the humming technique described above. Stop trying to emulate other singers and first learn what it means to be on pitch. For me, this is the hardest part of singing as I am usually off pitch myself. I tried very hard once to sing Metropolis and I gave it the best I could, and when the reviews came in I agreed 100%, I was 50/50 on and off and that song is way beyond my normal range of singing and I shouldn't even touch it right now. Sing what you know and sing what you can easily touch. Let the challenges come later. For me actually I love practicing against Depeche Mode as Gahan's range and my range are practically the same however the trick is not to try and sing like Gahan. I mean the guy does have 20+ years of experience. Of course his voice is going to be 1000x more professional.
Wow, great post! You know your shit. I had some breathing training exercises early on from a friend of mine who is an accomplished singer. After that, it was all trial and error for me. I learned by my countless mistakes, and became an entertaining but average singer on a professional level. Are you a singer first or is it secondary to the instrument you play?

Offline Vivace

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
If I were in any band it would only be to sing as I'm not proficient in any instrument except maybe piano which I play very badly. ;) Just for kicks I  found my Metropolis attempt which was done about a year ago. God it's nasal as shit.  :blush

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2010, 10:33:24 AM »
All things considered...this video IS the best thing he's done so far. Not saying that it is great, but he does appear to have improved a bit. I am a vocalist with a trained ear, so I'm aware that he is still perpetually flat/sharp and he's pushing far too much from the throat, but he is making improvements. Nicky, all the advice given in the last few posts is sound advice. Sit down with your Casio keyboard and get cracking on some scales. I gave you the links to Eric Arcenaux's videos a month ago. Have you been watching them and doing warmups daily? I can't take you seriously as a singer until you put forth the effort necessary.

And the reason we bust on you so much is, because like Tick said, you set yourself up. Having a forum for yourself is rather ridiculous. It makes you seem like you have no perception on where exactly you currently reside in the scheme of things. You have a lot of strides to make to go further up the totem poll and earn some respect. You're vying for something that a zillion other people are, and I always live by the mentality that there will always be people far superior in their talents then that of any individual (including myself), meaning that you have to keep yourself grounded. If you continue to hype yourself up, you will only be the butt of more jokes.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
BTW, Nicky, you say you do requests. Here's a request actually: I think it would be interesting to hear you sing "Somewhere over the rainbow" (I take it you know the tune, if not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRa4X07jdE ). Just the chorus itself, in a key of your choice (i.e. bring it down to a key that's comfortable to you).

If you are convinced you have no pitch issues, you should have no problems with this tune. Oh, and no background music, no singing over the Youtube video or something, just your vocals. The trick about this tune is that it has a lot of very interesting intervals in there, and your innate sense of pitch is tested with this tune.

rumborak

Wow does judy Garland just nail that song through and though. It is literally one of the most beautiful and memorible songs of any movie.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for the REALLY good advice, I appreciate it!

@MykeHavoc:
Last weeks I watched and trained (and still doing) with the video's of Eric Arcenaux and I can hear a bit of improvement in my voice. In my middle range I have better control now over my voice compared to some weeks ago.

And as most of you say, the result is better than the video's I posted earlier (as do I, when I hear some parts of the earlier video's now I think: wow, that's bad!)

@ Adami:
I don't complain that you're not giving me constructive criticism. And I don't say "thanks here's another video", ignore all your suggestions and keep throwing more at you, like I don't give a shit. Last month I worked hard on most of the criticism I got here. I posted the new video for advice/comments on the last month I worked on my voice, to keep you up-to-date with how the things are going. What is wrong with that?

@Rumborak:
Thanks for that request. I didn't know the song before, but I love to give it a try and to sing the chorus (of course I'm going to sing lower ;) ) And I promise that I will post it with just my vocals and nothing else.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »

I don't complain that you're not giving me constructive criticism. And I don't say "thanks here's another video", ignore all your suggestions and keep throwing more at you, like I don't give a shit. Last month I worked hard on most of the criticism I got here. I posted the new video for advice/comments on the last month I worked on my voice, to keep you up-to-date with how the things are going. What is wrong with that?

Ok, now your making me lose my mind. You think in a couple weeks you have corrected your vocal issues and that's why you posted the video, to show your improvement?
Are you kidding, Nicky? :facepalm:

Nicky, answer a simple question if you would. How do you rate yourself as a singer on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being the highest.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2010, 04:49:46 PM »

Ok, now your making me lose my mind. You think in a couple weeks you have corrected your vocal issues and that's why you posted the video, to show your improvement?
Are you kidding, Nicky? :facepalm:

Nicky, answer a simple question if you would. How do you rate yourself as a singer on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being the highest.

No of course not, but just a bit better. I know it takes a lot of time before it's all corrected. But every bits help right.

A 6.5, because I'm young and there is much to learn.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »
Now there is a head voice as well which is used and practiced properly can increase your range significantly and then there is falsetto. Your head voice and falsetto are really two different things. It's all about where that voice is coming from (I think).

Head voice and falsetto are separate, falsetto is produced using the false folds and head voice is produced using the true folds. The falsetto will cap out (notes vary from person to person), the head voice or full voice can theoretically go to any note. Well obviously there are human constraints but you know what I mean. For example I can barely squeeze out a G5 in falsetto, but in full voice I can nail a soprano C (maybe a note or so lower now I haven't practiced in a while) and in whistle an E6.

Other than that good post.   

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »

@MykeHavoc:
Last weeks I watched and trained (and still doing) with the video's of Eric Arcenaux and I can hear a bit of improvement in my voice. In my middle range I have better control now over my voice compared to some weeks ago.

And as most of you say, the result is better than the video's I posted earlier (as do I, when I hear some parts of the earlier video's now I think: wow, that's bad!)

@ Adami:

@Rumborak:
Thanks for that request. I didn't know the song before, but I love to give it a try and to sing the chorus (of course I'm going to sing lower ;) ) And I promise that I will post it with just my vocals and nothing else.

You have a good spirit and attitude, Nicky.  You really do.  And your passionate.  You can't teach passionate and drive.  Best of luck, and keep up tha hard work :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »
https://nickyspanjaards.comule.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2

"constellation: Virgin"  :lol

sorry.... :rollin
Just want to say that this is a bad translation from the Dutch word, which is 'Maagd' and literally translates into virgin.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2010, 06:01:17 PM »
Nicky, allow me to show you something. Here is a demo I did at 18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12RswSfRDzA

Now here's something I did when I was 23:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRDhNYhlik

That's 5 YEARS of trying to become a better singer. In that time, I quit smoking and (for the most part) drinking.
I changed my diet and increased my sleep. I did vocal warm-ups and practiced everyday. And I'd say I got maybe twice as good. Just a heads up that it's gonna take a LONG time for you to see any real noticeable improvement. Just remain realistic.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »
Did you really create a Nicky Spanjaards forum? Why?
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2010, 06:44:19 PM »

That's 5 YEARS of trying to become a better singer. In that time, I quit smoking and (for the most part) drinking.
I changed my diet and increased my sleep. I did vocal warm-ups and practiced everyday. And I'd say I got maybe twice as good. Just a heads up that it's gonna take a LONG time for you to see any real noticeable improvement. Just remain realistic.

Oh, here comes the mother lode, the thing that absolutely everbody dances around in these kinds of discussions, for the fear of touching a subject that could hurt too deeply ....

Talent.

I listened to both of your Youtube videos. What changed? The amount of practice. What didn't change? The amount of talent.
Your first video, the supposed "before" video, is great. No other way of putting it. Sure, everything is raw, the timing of the instruments is off (probably due to cheap recording software), but your pitch is on, your timing is on, and at the age of 18 you had a very good sense of what sounds good vs. bad.

So, everybody always posts stuff like "oh, I put in shitloads of practice to become as good as I am now, and so can you if you put in the effort", but reality is, a lot of people put in the effort. The ones that end up being good are the ones that have talent.
I am not saying Nicky has no talent. I am saying that you have/had a lot more talent than Nicky. What does that mean for Nicky? He need to put in a lot more effort than you did to achieve the same level as you. Or maybe he never will, that is the curse of talent. I consider myself a pretty talented guitarist, and I have both met people who I knew I could show something to 1,000 times and they still wouldn't be able to do it, and also people who I knew had mastered in a week what I had struggled with for years. I play in a DT tribute band and am thus pretty sure that I am able to play things that a lot of people can not, and at the same time I know that I wouldn't earn a dime as a session musician because of the slew of people out there who can run circles around me. And probably finger their gf while they're doing it.

rumborak
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:49:48 PM by rumborak »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:36 PM »
https://nickyspanjaards.comule.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2

"constellation: Virgin"  :lol

sorry.... :rollin
Just want to say that this is a bad translation from the Dutch word, which is 'Maagd' and literally translates into virgin.
Don't care.
Still funny.
Sorry, but don't intellectualize my sophomoric humor.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:53:25 PM by tick »

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2010, 07:57:56 PM »

Oh, here comes the mother lode, the thing that absolutely everbody dances around in these kinds of discussions, for the fear of touching a subject that could hurt too deeply ....

Talent.

I listened to both of your Youtube videos. What changed? The amount of practice. What didn't change? The amount of talent.
Your first video, the supposed "before" video, is great. No other way of putting it. Sure, everything is raw, the timing of the instruments is off (probably due to cheap recording software), but your pitch is on, your timing is on, and at the age of 18 you had a very good sense of what sounds good vs. bad.

So, everybody always posts stuff like "oh, I put in shitloads of practice to become as good as I am now, and so can you if you put in the effort", but reality is, a lot of people put in the effort. The ones that end up being good are the ones that have talent.
I am not saying Nicky has no talent. I am saying that you have/had a lot more talent than Nicky. What does that mean for Nicky? He need to put in a lot more effort than you did to achieve the same level as you. Or maybe he never will, that is the curse of talent. I consider myself a pretty talented guitarist, and I have both met people who I knew I could show something to 1,000 times and they still wouldn't be able to do it, and also people who I knew had mastered in a week what I had struggled with for years. I play in a DT tribute band and am thus pretty sure that I am able to play things that a lot of people can not, and at the same time I know that I wouldn't earn a dime as a session musician because of the slew of people out there who can run circles around me. And probably finger their gf while they're doing it.

rumborak

I'm still trying to figure out if you just shit all over me or not :lol

In truth, the music I sang with Contortionist was far different from that of Zero Point. Contortionist was busy wannabe Dream Theater stuff. Zero Point was more a mindless thrash/rock/punk sort of sounding thing. I wasn't using it as example to show off music. I'm using it to show how much more proper my delivery was. In the Contortionist video, I am singing far too much from my throat. FAR too much. That can be attributed to not knowing how to properly singing. By the half way mark, I'm already going flat. That is something I spent a day doing takes of.
The Zero Point demo was done in ONE take (minus the gang vocals) with no pitch correction. It is quite clear I changed my approach.
There is no little to no strain. My head voice is far more convincing and less forced. I will play you some stuff from my new band Dorian Gray when we mix our latest demo, as the ZP stuff was still, at this point, a year and a half ago, and I've learned even more since.

But this post wasn't even meant to be about me. It is simply a tool to illustrate to Nicky that he needs to stick with it for a long time for the effects to convincingly show.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
I wasn't talking smack, no worry :lol My point was that even at your first effort you had shown your talent clearly. And your second video was obviously better, but it was also obviously built on what was innate to you, as was visible from the first video.

rumborak