Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 145537 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2010, 10:05:32 PM »
No offense, but I think it's comments like this, that desperately try to ignore ANYTHING negative that is causing him to be confused by us showing negative reactions to aspects of it. There's no need to be mean, but there's no need to be dishonest. Unless you really thought he was great.

I didn't say he was great.  I just highlighted the aspects of his performance that I enjoyed and found merit in.  I figured enough people had given constructive criticism.  The bottom line is, I did watch each video all the way through.  I rarely do that with a cover song posted online.  Was his singing top notch?  No.  But there was something endearing about him that drew me in and made me watch.

Are you sure it wasn't the train-wreck effect that made you keep watching?

Seriously, not trying to be a jerk, but I had a hard time sitting through ONE video. The singing was pretty off and the "stage presence" was extremely laughable.

It wasn't a train wreck, and you ARE being a jerk.

Oh. OK.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2010, 10:34:17 PM »
Mods, just some friendly advice - this thread is about to get ugly. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
Well it started off good, then got bad, only appropriate it gets ugly. Provided afterward it has to get the hell off of my lawn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2010, 12:22:26 AM »
Mods, just some friendly advice - this thread is about to get ugly. 

Why do you say that?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

WTF is this?!??!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PnCCxx23E

Not referring to the singing....

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
 :\

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
I'm really worried that Nicky's vids are going to go viral. He may very well be on his way to becoming an internet sensation.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »
Hmm, yeah, that wouldn't be good. Totally of his own doing of course, but still.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2010, 10:56:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUzTG5-NX2s&feature=related

By far his best one, but dude you really gotta find a new umm routine or something, but the vox here are good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
Nah, he still has pitch issues on that one, they're just less audible because of the growling in the voice.

rumborak

Online Adami

« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2010, 11:03:47 PM »
Nah, he still has pitch issues on that one, they're just less audible because of the growling in the voice.

rumborak

Well it's not perfect, but even during those few actual vocal moments "a roooooooooollll" and so forth, he seems decently on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »

rumborak

Well it's not perfect, but even during those few actual vocal moments "a roooooooooollll" and so forth, he seems decently on.

Seriously. I understand constructive criticism and all, but rumborak and others in the thread are really just giving him shit unnecessarily.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2010, 11:35:12 PM »

rumborak

True. It's definitely the best of the ones I've heard.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2010, 11:40:17 PM »

rumborak

Seriously. I understand constructive criticism and all, but rumborak and others in the thread are really just giving him shit unnecessarily.

Well, from what I could gather so far, we have a vastly different perception of his vocals. I actually find your encouragements somewhat misplaced, because I think they do more harm than good.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »
Well, from what I could gather so far, we have a vastly different perception of his vocals. I actually find your encouragements somewhat misplaced, because I think they do more harm than good.

rumborak

Like what?

Offline Vivace

« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
It's a good attempt but I think there is a lot of room for improvement. As I Am is a song that I actually love to sing the same with These Walls. I'm hoping I can join in the idea of cover vocals. I would love to do Wither, but I have a LOT of trouble with that song. I either hit it or I'm off, way off.

Also don't try to sound like someone. your voice is your unique signature. Use that signature to its potential and create music from that. I sing DT every now and then but use my own voice which in many ways sounds a bit like Bellamy.

Also, Tick that's some good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:14:38 AM by Vivace »
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2010, 07:24:07 AM »
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

WTF is this?!??!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PnCCxx23E

Not referring to the singing....
At 2:10, he does the signature Labrie! :lol
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »

rumborak

Like what?

Could be the fact that he is yelling the chorus not singing it and is about a tone lower while doing it. His looks like is about to explode, I'm not saying this to rip him apart, it's true. I think he enjoys singing and should continue to learn and get better but as for this cover it was not good. Again I'm not saying it to tear him down, I'm just being realistic. I agree with Rumborak.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2010, 09:52:19 PM »
DID ANYONE NOTICE THIS on Nicky's site?
https://www.nickyspanjaards.comule.com/1_2_Biography.html

In the fall of 2009 Nicky was deadly ill after food poisoning. He had to throw up all the time. He ruptured his vocal chords and after that he couldn't even sing anymore. Nicky went to a doctor and the doctor said he should rest his voice for half a year. Nicky didn't, in fact he was in the middle in a record of his debut album with Century Crash. His voice was far from normal. He lost a part of his vocal range, the voice cracked most of the time, was weak and it was fast tired.

^
James Labrie much?

Online Adami

« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
Actually, few people know that it was really Nicky on I&W and Awake. He ruptured his chords after that (not 2009 obviously) and they got James LaBrie to replace him. Since Jame's voice was so obviously poor compared to Nickys, they said James also had the chords rupturing incident. Portnoy recently left DT in attempts to form a new band with Nicky.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2010, 10:46:59 PM »
DID ANYONE NOTICE THIS on Nicky's site?
https://www.nickyspanjaards.comule.com/1_2_Biography.html

In the fall of 2009 Nicky was deadly ill after food poisoning. He had to throw up all the time. He ruptured his vocal chords and after that he couldn't even sing anymore. Nicky went to a doctor and the doctor said he should rest his voice for half a year. Nicky didn't, in fact he was in the middle in a record of his debut album with Century Crash. His voice was far from normal. He lost a part of his vocal range, the voice cracked most of the time, was weak and it was fast tired.

^
James Labrie much?

Complete joke much.. I don't think I can be serious to this guy anymore. lol

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »
You can join the forumz!!!!

Just Klick here!! :neverusethis:

https://nickyspanjaards.comule.com/forum/phpBB3/

Online Adami

« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »

Wow. 0 posts by anyone other than nicky.

Also, did anyone read the whole bio? He retrained his voice by singing along to aerosmith.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:20 PM »
One of the cruelest things you can do to a person is fail to give them criticism when it's due. It may seem mean in the short term, but it's for their benefit.

This is the truest line of thinking that most people just don't understand. Whenever Simon used to rip people apart on American Idol the crowd would begin to boo at what he was saying 100% of the time and for the most part his criticism was dead on. Everyone seems too dead set on not hurting anyones feelings and assume that the effort of attempting something earns someone at the worst an "it was ok".

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2010, 11:58:06 PM »

wtf?! lol

Alright, this does have to be some sort of prank.

That being said...who signed up for the forum? I'm kinda curious.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2010, 12:31:28 AM »

Also, did anyone read the whole bio? He retrained his voice by singing along to aerosmith.

Not a bad singer to emulate but I don't hear it anywhere. Who ever his vocal coach is needs to be fired. There is potential there, but it needs to start back at the beginning, back to breath control. Something that Matt Bellamy for some reason was able to get around. There's a man with some vocal chops but the man cannot breath correctly and you get these gasps of air.

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2010, 06:06:24 AM »

Not a bad singer to emulate but I don't hear it anywhere. Who ever his vocal coach is needs to be fired. There is potential there, but it needs to start back at the beginning, back to breath control. Something that Matt Bellamy for some reason was able to get around. There's a man with some vocal chops but the man cannot breath correctly and you get these gasps of air.
My theory on his vocal coach. He is either non existent , or a toothless crack addict in need of a daily fix.
Nicky needs to focus on actually learning how to sing, because at this point he can't. Also stop posing in his bedroom in an unbuttoned shirt. I'm sorry, but its just ridiculous.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2010, 06:13:10 AM »
I'm more confused by this part:

In February 2010 he got a girlfriend. By all the support and love she gave him his voice is now how it is meant to be, full of power and with a big vocal range, so he says.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2010, 07:36:57 AM »
I'm more confused by this part:

In February 2010 he got a girlfriend. By all the support and love she gave him his voice is now how it is meant to be, full of power and with a big vocal range, so he says.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2010, 08:05:29 AM »
I think we successfully chased him away with due criticism.  He doesn't want to hear it, and needs to build himself up dilusionally rather than actual improvement.  Can we just let this thread die and leave him alone...no point in hounding him on his board and youtube.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »
I tend to agree.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2010, 08:09:20 AM »
I tend to agree.

As do I. I was willing to cut the kid some slack at first, but when he went and stole my post and used it at LaBrie's forums I realized something-- even though I wasn't  and still am not mad about the act itself. Saying what I realized seems a little bit harsh here, and not to mention overkill, so I'll just give it a rest.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2010, 08:11:04 AM »
I think we successfully chased him away with due criticism.  He doesn't want to hear it, and needs to build himself up dilusionally rather than actual improvement.  Can we just let this thread die and leave him alone...no point in hounding him on his board and youtube.
He has his own messageboard! Holy shit that's funny!!! :rollin
Ok, I'm done! :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »
In the fall of 2009 Nicky was deadly ill after food poisoning. He had to throw up all the time.

Was this picture taken 10 minutes before that incident?

"Uuuuugh, that fish sandwich is not sitting right with me .... uuuughh, this is not looking good."

rumborak

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
In the fall of 2009 Nicky was deadly ill after food poisoning. He had to throw up all the time.

Was this picture taken 10 minutes before that incident?

"Uuuuugh, that fish sandwich is not sitting right with me .... uuuughh, this is not looking good."

rumborak

That is the best looking fart on an album cover I've ever seen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC