Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 145536 times)

Offline NickySpanjaards

Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
Well if I sing so bad...why am I then in a metal band who respect and appreciate my voice? They see that I'm a really good singer. This is just how my voice is. And I'm not the only one who hears that my voice is good. Alright, some parts maybe I'm off-pitch...but even the best metal singers doesn't sing perfectly. But my friends and family and some outsiders say that I'm a really good singer. I'm even going to play live with my band next year march/april. But on this forum...no...almost everyone thinks I'm joking and whatever more. But I will keep going on. I love singing. Well, think of me what you want, but I'll be back in a few months and I'll let you see what my voice can!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2010, 04:18:37 PM »
But my friends and family and some outsiders say that I'm a really good singer.

Simon Cowell has made a fortune from this sentence.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2010, 04:21:14 PM »
Btw, a random comment on the side : what happened to the good old word "singer"? It seems everybody with a streak for the pretentious calls himself "vocalist" these days.

rumborak

Well... there are guys who are bad singers (In terms of technical skill of course), but their voices fit in almost perfectly with their band so it makes up for it. So you might say that they are a good vocalist. After all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tom Warrior's voice of Celtic Frost, but his voice doesn't really work in any other setting.

Well if I sing so bad...why am I then in a metal band who respect and appreciate my voice? They see that I'm a really good singer. This is just how my voice is. And I'm not the only one who hears that my voice is good. Alright, some parts maybe I'm off-pitch...but even the best metal singers doesn't sing perfectly. But my friends and family and some outsiders say that I'm a really good singer. I'm even going to play live with my band next year march/april. But on this forum...no...almost everyone thinks I'm joking and whatever more. But I will keep going on. I love singing. Well, think of me what you want, but I'll be back in a few months and I'll let you see what my voice can!

So, you don't want constructive criticism? They're just trying to help you improve. What your friends think, and what musicians outside of bar-bands might think is two totally different things. That being said, don't stop, but learn to take some criticism and work to your strengths. I'm an awful singer, first off  :lol So don't worry too much, but take constructive criticism. Not everybody is going to praise you all over the place. Learn to accept that.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »
Well if I sing so bad...why am I then in a metal band who respect and appreciate my voice? They see that I'm a really good singer. This is just how my voice is. And I'm not the only one who hears that my voice is good.

There's no doubt that potentially, you could be a good singer but I have a feeling that most of the people telling you how good you are either A:Friends/Family, or B:Aren't hearing what we are. You have a nice quality to your voice but if you HONESTLY can not tell from watching those videos that you are off on pitch then I am at a loss.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
Yeah. You're not an expert, but you're certainly a better singer than me.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »
Ok, here's a reality check that every musician in this world can confirm:

- Your family *always* lies to you about how good you are.  You are a relative of theirs, and they're not gonna piss you off over your musical attempts.
- Same with friends
- Your band mates don't say a word to the day they kick you out of the band
- Your first gig will have a lot of people coming. Because it's the novelty factor, they want to see you do it. The second gig will have your closest friends coming.and the ones who couldn't make it the first time The *third* gig is the real first gig, the one that shows you whether anybody gives a rat's ass about what you do.
- When you record something, a lot of people want it, as long as it is for free. Once you charge money you see how good you really are.

The bottom line of this : We are very likely the first people to give you honest and unbiased feedback. And the verdict is, you are not good. Use that criticism to your benefit, or believe that somehow we are a weird group of people who all have no taste and can't distinguish between a bad mic and pitch problems.

rumborak

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:01:46 PM by rumborak »

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2010, 05:01:13 PM »
Dude, I've honestly never seen this forum give as good constructive criticism as in this thread. I hope you use it.

En anders succes nog. Met wat training en doorzettingsvermogen zal het vast wel lukken. Misschien kan je iets van je band posten,  dat zal hier misschien wel wat beter vallen. Ik denk niet dat het daaraan ligt, maar DT is hier nogal heilig soms.

Just felt like typing some encouraging words in Dutch  :angel:.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »
Well if I sing so bad...why am I then in a metal band who respect and appreciate my voice?
because you own a P.A.?

Seriously, let your hard work do the talking. Come back in a year sounding better and make us all have to give you props. Until then, stop making these videos and practice.

If you don't mind me asking, what kinds of things is your vocal instructor teaching you? How long have you taken lessons? What kind of credentials does your teacher have?

As Rummy said, your friends and family are not a good barometer for judgment. They will lie to you every time.

Don't give up, but don't believe the hype. A voice is like any other instrument. It takes a lot of time and training. That's why a lot of singers suck, because they have that anyone can do it attitude. Wrong.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
The most emotionless head banging I've ever seen.
Yeah, totally agreed...
gone

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2010, 06:25:14 PM »
Nicky, could you describe what your voice teacher goes over with you in your lessons?  I'm curious to know this because you're obviously taking the initiative to get better by being in lessons, so perhaps it's not your 'fault' if your teacher isn't instructing you properly.  

So, what have you gone over during the past three years?  And, what happens during a typical voice lesson for you with this person?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2010, 07:19:42 PM »
Ok, here's a reality check that every musician in this world can confirm:

- Your family *always* lies to you about how good you are.  You are a relative of theirs, and they're not gonna piss you off over your musical attempts.
- Same with friends
- Your band mates don't say a word to the day they kick you out of the band
- Your first gig will have a lot of people coming. Because it's the novelty factor, they want to see you do it. The second gig will have your closest friends coming.and the ones who couldn't make it the first time The *third* gig is the real first gig, the one that shows you whether anybody gives a rat's ass about what you do.
- When you record something, a lot of people want it, as long as it is for free. Once you charge money you see how good you really are.

The bottom line of this : We are very likely the first people to give you honest and unbiased feedback. And the verdict is, you are not good. Use that criticism to your benefit, or believe that somehow we are a weird group of people who all have no taste and can't distinguish between a bad mic and pitch problems.

rumborak

There is so much fucking win in this post.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
Here's the thing, Nicky. You're much better than the average Joe who thinks he can sing lead vocals in a band at your age. Much better. I played in several bands highschool, and the same problem ALWAYS was the fools who decided they could "sing" for us. You have a PA, so you're already a cut above the rest. And, like I said earlier, you're lower and mid register is perfectly acceptable. But you still aren't were you need to be, skill-wise, with your high register. I agree with rumby on this one. After 3 years, if your vocal coach isn't correction those high notes than ditch him. Even if he is, you still need to ditch him. The fact is, you should change teachers every couple of years anyway. And, really, just don't shrug all the advice you've been given off. You'll never get better that way.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:03:16 PM by Perpetual Change »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »
I don't why your band tells you how good you are, maybe they really think you're great. But I can give you examples from my life that might be similar.

1. I was in several bands when I was your age, in most of them we had a singer because he was our friend, we didn't care much if his voice sounded good, and we usually thought it did, though it never did.

2. When I ran a studio last year, I recorded many bands with terrible vocalists. What's odd is that the bands usually knew the singer sucked but didn't tell him, they always wanted me to autotune it or something, or they figured they'd finally get it right in the studio with enough takes.

Bands your age are more focused on having a good time and good chemistry, lots of bands that age have terrible members, but they're friends so it's all good. I don't know what your case is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2010, 10:56:09 PM »
I don't why your band tells you how good you are, maybe they really think you're great.

Or maybe they just suck as well.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »
Or, maybe he's the only singer they know and they think he has potential. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2010, 11:13:27 PM »
Or, maybe he's the only singer they know and they think he has potential. 

This is doubly important because of the shitstorm of negative encouragement now occurring in this thread.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2010, 11:19:55 PM »
Maybe the band has potential!

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »
Nick's right.

Rumb wins the thread lol.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2010, 02:40:38 AM »
Sorry for the last comment guys, I was just a little pissed. Of course I take the criticism with me, but some reactions just made me pissed like: The most emotionless headbanging I have ever seen.

The first two years my vocal coach began most of the lessons with training on the piano. Then he learned me breathe techniques and techniques to push my midriff down for extra power on the voice. After those technical part, I had to play a cd with a song I like to sing. That happened more in the first year than in the second year. But anyway, I sang Dream On, from Aerosmith. We did that a couple of lessons. He just listened carefully while I sang. Sometimes he paused the cd to make comments about certain points what I should do and he put onto it. In the second year, I had to do much more songs which he choose, while he played them on the piano. I had to sing love you more of Racoon. After the two years, I took a break to learn all the things further that I learned those two years.
This third year, I've had two lessons now. (actually three, but one lesson he was sick, so it was cancelled). The first lesson was just a conversation and he was testing my voice on the piano, how high I could go. I hit a G#5 in falsetto. He said, next week you bring a cd with you with the songs you play with Era IV.
So last Monday I brought the cd with me. We began with Fear Of The Dark of Iron Maiden. He said wow your voice has really improved last year! (before I couldn't even get the head voice, so I would go from my normal voice to my falsetto). After a part of Fear Of The Dark, he skipped to the next song, Symphony Of Destruction of Megadeth. He thought that was also great. He said that I have a really good lower register.
And next week we are going to practise it further.
I take lessons of 15 minutes each. (the first two years were 20 minutes each).

Then about Era IV:
First...I'm not the only singer they know.
Before I auditioned they had 5 other singers on audition, which they fired immediately in the end of the auditions. I'm now since March in the band.
Second: We were not friends before. They didn't know me, and I didn't know them.

I will post a video with a video us performing a song in the repetition room to let you see what we are capable of.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2010, 07:48:52 AM »
You'll have to keep us updated.  One thing I noticed is that you do try and sing like James, either consciously or not. It's good to have role models. But anyone serious about singing will tell you that LaBrie has his share of bad habits, and, unfortunately, you seem to be "unconsciously" mimicking them too when you sing the DT songs.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
You'll have to keep us updated.  One thing I noticed is that you do try and sing like James, either consciously or not. It's good to have role models. But anyone serious about singing will tell you that LaBrie has his share of bad habits, and, unfortunately, you seem to be "unconsciously" mimicking them too when you sing the DT songs.
I'll keep you up to date  :smiley:
I indeed try mostly to sound like James, but as you say, I have to change that to my own sound.
Soon I will post the video of Era IV performing in the repetition room.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2010, 11:39:01 AM »
Btw, a random comment on the side : what happened to the good old word "singer"? It seems everybody with a streak for the pretentious calls himself "vocalist" these days.

rumborak
Good question, and WTF @ this thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »

rumborak

Because being a vocalist could just mean that you're using your vocal chords in any possible way. Singing, talking, yelling, whistling, anything vocal. Singing is specific to singing. And since alot of vocalists can't sing well to save their lives, they become vocalists.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2010, 11:51:11 AM »
I could see that, e.g. Bobbie McFerrin being a vocalist. My personal impression though is that the word "singer" had become too commonplace, and thus "vocalist" replaced it to indicate supposed quality. Sort of, like the janitor is now the facilities manager.

rumborak

Online Adami

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »
I could see that, e.g. Bobbie McFerrin being a vocalist. My personal impression though is that the word "singer" had become too commonplace, and thus "vocalist" replaced it to indicate supposed quality. Sort of, like the janitor is now the facilities manager.

rumborak

Or hipsters who play 3 chords are called musicians.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »
I'll keep you up to date  :smiley:
I indeed try mostly to sound like James
Fail.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
I enjoyed the videos.  He has a good presence about him and I felt compelled to watch.  Can't say that about all performers.  And he has the passion and energy, which you can't really teach.  It comes natural.  He sounded the best in "Disappear."  Keep up the good work!

However, the bedroom walls need some decorating.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:25:32 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Adami

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »
I enjoyed the videos.  He has a good presence about him and I felt compelled to watch.  Can't say that about all performers.  And he has the passion and energy, which you can't really teach.  It comes natural.  He sounded the best in "Disappear."  Keep up the good work!

However, the bedroom walls need some decorating.  :biggrin:

No offense, but I think it's comments like this, that desperately try to ignore ANYTHING negative that is causing him to be confused by us showing negative reactions to aspects of it. There's no need to be mean, but there's no need to be dishonest. Unless you really thought he was great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TL

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2010, 06:10:44 PM »
One of the cruelest things you can do to a person is fail to give them criticism when it's due. It may seem mean in the short term, but it's for their benefit.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2010, 08:40:51 PM »
One of the cruelest things you can do to a person is fail to give them criticism when it's due. It may seem mean in the short term, but it's for their benefit.
Personally, looking back, I love the fact I was booted by my first band as a 16 year old kid. I love the fact all my friends secretly joked about my singing behind my back thinking I was ridiculous to think I wanted to sing in a band. In the end I got the last laugh as my friends got to watch my band open up for Joan Jett, Warrant, Skid Row, Yngwie Malmsteen and others. I was highly motivated by my naysayers.
Its not how you start, its how you finish.
That being said Nicky, you have a lot of work to do to be a respected singer. When your truly getting better you will know it because people are generally honest and they will let you know it.
I honestly don't think anyone criticizing you is doing it to be a dick. They are just being honest, and if you improve I believe people will give you your due.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:10:56 PM by tick »

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
Yes.  ^

Nicky, I just read what your voice teacher works on with you.... and, I'm sure he's a great teacher for what he does, but saying, "bring in a CD" every week and having you work on Megadeth songs is NOT going to make you a great singer.  If you're so into LaBrie's singing, then you must know that he studied with an Opera singer for a while. 

I'm sure that singing metal is fun and all, but - and, this is the last time I'm going to say this because I don't want to be TOO redundant - you HAVE to sing other types of music.  Learn how to sing some Classical music; learn how to get a great tone and how to control your voice. 

That's what you need.  Best of luck to you. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »
And, be a bit more humble when you put yourself out there. I mean, the website, the promo pictures... that's stuff that is reserved for professional singers. So, when you start a thread telling us you do requests and stuff, and then turn out to have all these singing problems, it's obvious that we will give you way more shit than if you had started a thread saying "hey guys, I recorded an audio track of me singing over a DT song, feedback is appreciated ".

rumborak

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »
No offense, but I think it's comments like this, that desperately try to ignore ANYTHING negative that is causing him to be confused by us showing negative reactions to aspects of it. There's no need to be mean, but there's no need to be dishonest. Unless you really thought he was great.

I didn't say he was great.  I just highlighted the aspects of his performance that I enjoyed and found merit in.  I figured enough people had given constructive criticism.  The bottom line is, I did watch each video all the way through.  I rarely do that with a cover song posted online.  Was his singing top notch?  No.  But there was something endearing about him that drew me in and made me watch.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:38:42 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »

I didn't say he was great.  I just highlighted the aspects of his performance that I enjoyed and found merit in.  I figured enough people had given constructive criticism.  The bottom line is, I did watch each video all the way through.  I rarely do that with a cover song posted online.  Was his singing top notch?  No.  But there was something endearing about him that drew me in and made me watch.

Are you sure it wasn't the train-wreck effect that made you keep watching?

Seriously, not trying to be a jerk, but I had a hard time sitting through ONE video. The singing was pretty off and the "stage presence" was extremely laughable.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2010, 10:02:30 PM »

Are you sure it wasn't the train-wreck effect that made you keep watching?

Seriously, not trying to be a jerk, but I had a hard time sitting through ONE video. The singing was pretty off and the "stage presence" was extremely laughable.

It wasn't a train wreck, and you ARE being a jerk.