Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 145566 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 09:12:57 AM »
Today I'm going to record As I Am and The Count Of Tuscany.

Are you going to use the instrumental track of TCOT?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
He betta.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 10:20:15 AM »
Today I'm going to record As I Am and The Count Of Tuscany.

Are you going to use the instrumental track of TCOT?

rumborak

Yes I will  ;D

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 03:28:33 PM »
I still can't forget that "You belong to MEEEE(FLAT!!!!)" at the award show last year.
It wasn't as bad as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y38tfrbFU7U

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »
Yes it was.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »
A few things....

1.  You have a great voice. 

Your tone is great.  BUT, as everyone has already mentioned, your intonation is so off it's nearly unlistenable.  I mean, it's just awful. 

HOWEVER (before you get upset with me)....

I don't think it's because you "can't" sing in tune.  I think you just don't have control of your voice yet.  It sounds like you need to get with a good voice teacher and work on some exercises (scales, etc) and gain control of that great voice you have.  I honestly believe that if you could learn how to control your voice, you would be amazing.  The potential is there, so best of luck to you. 

2.  STOP THE HAND GESTURES

They look really stupid in my opinion. 

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 08:01:18 AM »
Oh and....

3.  I'd stay away from DT right now because you're not ready for it.  I think you COULD be ready for it if you work on what everyone has mentioned.  But, honestly, I'd work on some really, really easy music. 

You know what's good?  50's music.  Like, the Beach Boys, Ritchie Valens, etc.... that stuff is very melodic and it moves through chord changes a lot.  Then, move on to some Beatles tunes or something.... just, easy, simple melodies that you can practice your intonation on. 

Another good thing to practice:  HYMNS   

Forget about the METAL and learn how to sing musically. 

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 08:23:34 AM »
I'm going to come out and be brutally honest. You need a ton of work to even be a passable vocalist. You are very flat and off key. If your going to post threads boasting your vocal ability you should actually be able to sing. Don't get me wrong I have heard worse but this did not require a thread. Sorry.
I am a singer and if you would like to criticize my vocals click on the link in my signature and feel free. :tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
I don't think he was boasting at all.  I think he has been very humble and quite welcoming of the advice he has been given.  Whether he uses the advice is another story.  

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
I don't think he was boasting at all.  I think he has been very humble and quite welcoming of the advice he has been given.  Whether he uses the advice is another story.  
I'll accept your correction. That the boasting part out and I'll go with the rest of my post.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »
I was going to post an apology for my harsh criticism, but after watching Count, I'm going to stand behind it. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »
Yeah, I too stand by my statement. It has pitch problems all over the place, and now they're no longer buried under JLB's vocals.

EDIT: Here's the video: https://vimeo.com/15154550

EDIT2: @Tick, that is good stuff in your sig!!

rumborak
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:37:33 AM by rumborak »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »
Yeah, I too stand by my statement. It has pitch problems all over the place, and now they're no longer buried under JLB's vocals.

rumborak

Thanks, Rummy.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2010, 09:49:16 AM »

rumborak

Why would you post his own video before he did?

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 09:51:09 AM »
Tick, you have good tone and quality. Why not join a metal band? I figure you have the dramatic flair for it. Something Symphony X sounding?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 09:52:01 AM »

rumborak

Why would you post his own video before he did?

Well, tick mentioned it so I looked it up. And before we are discussing a video amongst each other and everybody thinks "what the hell are they talking about?!" I figured I'd edit my post and link to it. It's on Nicky's web page, so it's not exactly hidden or anything.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »
Yeah, I guess there's no reason why you can't. It's just... eh. Nevermind.

At any rate, The Tuscany video pretty much has all the same good points and problems as all the other videos so far, I recommend all the same things I recommended before, including ditching LaBrie's style because it still sounds like he's trying to sound/act like him.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
I know, I was debating whether to link to it or not, or whether to wait for Nicky to post the link. But, tick was already discussing it, so....

I don't want to come across as a sour-puss here. But Nicky, I think you were somewhat deluding yourself about the quality of your vocals, partly because they were always buried under the CD vocals. I think you do in fact have talent as a singer, but you also have clear issues to work on. And you do have pitch issues, massive ones, and if your vocal coach hasn't told you that, it's time to ditch him. In fact, ditch him either way, if you've been taking vocal lessons for 3 years by now you shouldn't be exhibiting these issues. Get a good coach, nao.

rumborak

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »
Yeah, it's far better to perfect your own sound and then interpret a song with your own nuances. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
Ok, I just saw The Count video. I dunno dude, I have to agree with everyone else, it was very hard to listen to, maybe DT just isn't what you should be singing.

Also, I'd suggest not worrying about your "stage presence" so much, it looks really goofy, especially alone in your room, for these videos, just worry about your voice.

And I agree with ralphy, if you have been having vocal lessons for three years, I'd suggest finding a new coach.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »

At any rate, The Tuscany video pretty much has all the same good points and problems as all the other videos so far, I recommend all the same things I recommended before, including ditching LaBrie's style because it still sounds like he's trying to sound/act like him.
That is exactly the problem. As a singer for many years the key is to find out what you are and stay within yourself. Labrie is a tall order to copy so why even try? If you find your strengths and play to them you might find you can be a decent singer with some work, and a better vocal teacher. Apparently someone is just taking your money and telling you what you want to hear.
Learn proper breathing techniques and find out your true vocal range.

Along time ago as a musician I learned, as a vocalist you can't mold yourself around what a band wants you do to. You need to find a band that will work around what you do best. Then you both look good.

Keep working at it. I completely sucked when I first started singing but I was bound and determined to prove my critics wrong. Before you know it I was opening for bands like Yngwie Malmsteen and Skid Row in clubs. Don't give up, and take harsh criticism as motivation.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2010, 11:09:34 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for all the reactions. I will follow up the advice. When I practise DT with my singing coach, it goes very good. I think also the problem is, is that I record it with a crappy microphone. It records not my natural voice, but with a bit of destortion. But next month I'm going to buy a professional one. Also, I didn't practise The Count a lot before. Anyway, you already have The Count link, now I'm busy uploading As I Am, and I did that one a lot better. As soon as it's available i'll post the link.

Offline Adami

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
I don't see how the microphone matters at all in what we're saying.

The best advice I can give you is to find a better vocal coach. You have potential, I'd hate to see a poor coach not help you reach it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
Nicky, I think we're all experienced enough to tell the difference between a bad microphone and pitch problems. Tick is an excellent singer with shitloads of experience under his belt, and I've definitely worked with enough singers to spot specific issues a mile away by now. Don't blame the equipment dude.

rumborak

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »
In this link you can view the As I Am vocal cover:

https://vimeo.com/15156297

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58:10 PM »
In this link you can view the As I Am vocal cover:

https://vimeo.com/15156297
For the love of all that is sacred, please stop. :lol
I love the beginning when the music is playing and your not on camera. Then you pop in and look out! :lol
Dude, that just isn't good. Do your ears hear that as sounding decent? Is this really just to get laughs?
You have out done yourself on this one.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2010, 02:00:56 PM »
The most emotionless head banging I've ever seen.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2010, 02:16:42 PM »
This is too good.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2010, 02:46:26 PM »
His initial thread featuring the Winter Rose cover got shut down because...I think everyone thought it was a joke :P

I don't know what to say. Singing is my life. If anyone came and shit on me for it, it might upset me, but it wouldn't deter me from continuing. Never say die, Nicky!

We should really appreciate these videos. I mean, this stuff is archive-worthy :biggrin:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »
His initial thread featuring the Winter Rose cover got shut down because...I think everyone thought it was a joke :P

I don't know what to say. Singing is my life. If anyone came and shit on me for it, it might upset me, but it wouldn't deter me from continuing. Never say die, Nicky!

We should really appreciate these videos. I mean, this stuff is archive-worthy :biggrin:
I agree with much you said. The only thing is, he should be honing his skills, not posting this stuff. He isn't any good at this time. I do however agree, never give up if you love it!

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »
As I Am  :lol

Yeah, im no singer at all so i cant give much technical help, but it was tough to get through your videos. You are clearly a DT fan and a music lover, so I definably think you should continue...But you gotta improve! And the first step is to recognize that right now, there is A LOT to improve. Seriously. As I Am was NOT good and in the best one so far (Goodnight Kiss) I could hear more James than you, so yeah...give it some time, practice more, change your techniques and in couple of months, post new videos; I'm sure we will all be surprised to see your improvement.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2010, 03:23:53 PM »
I'm going to repeat what I said in an earlier post:  his actual voice has potential, but he needs to try some easier material to gain control over his instrument (his voice).  It's the same thing when kids post videos on You Tube of themselves playing Steve Vai solos and they can't play them at all.  But, you know they could play "Enter Sandman" or "Crazy Train" and they just need to practice the easy stuff before they do the really challenging stuff. 

That's what this guy needs to do.  EASY STUFF! 

Offline Adami

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »
I'm gonna have to side with Myke and Tick on this one, it doesn't seem serious at all. Nicky, either you're actually tone deaf, which is ok, a lot of people are, or this is just trolling.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »
I'm very tempted to post myself singing DT so you guys truly know what bad is.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:44 PM »
Btw, a random comment on the side : what happened to the good old word "singer"? It seems everybody with a streak for the pretentious calls himself "vocalist" these days.

rumborak