Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 146995 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #665 on: May 21, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
The part starting at 3:05 is just wondrous.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #666 on: May 21, 2015, 12:17:03 PM »
Infernal Agony
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #667 on: May 21, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »
And his bandmates?!?!? Is it a joke or what?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: May 22, 2015, 06:13:16 AM »
I can't help feeling like I'm being punked in this thread.

I mean, is this a sincere William Hung thing or an elaborate Andy Kaufman parity.

The part starting at 3:05 is just wondrous.

:omg:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #669 on: May 24, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »
Nice light show  :metal

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #670 on: May 25, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »
Ok here we go.

That was not *that* bad until 3:00 and so.
I think (yeah I mean it) Nicky is a powerhouse. But the problem is his timbre. His voice powerful but his timbre is annoying or at least his song choices are simply bad. He is mostly out of tune.
And the most annoying thing is the James LaBrie mimics are all over the video. I understand he somewhat idolize him but act like him? I was just like I was watching 92/94 LaBrie performance. Stop it man. Really stop it.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #671 on: May 25, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »
I think (yeah I mean it) Nicky is a powerhouse.

I'm assuming you mean that he's putting a lot of energy into it, and yeah that actually is i think what makes it so alluring to watch him.
Musically, he has no talent, sad to say. But again, that combination makes it the delightful trainwreck it is.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #672 on: May 25, 2015, 06:26:42 PM »
In a way, yes. And again, he has a powerful voice but again like you said, musically there is no talent in it. No control over it, no likeable timbre. Though I see a improvement  over the years considering his videos I watch but it seems it has to stay as a hobbie or something.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #673 on: May 25, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
Don't worry Nicky, even some of the most famous prog metal singers around really are questionable behind the mic (see: the guy from Haken). Prog metal is just such a demanding genre for metal and rock, which is *supposed* to be layman's music.

If I were you, I'd cut my hair, dye it, learn an instrument, and join a punk or indie rock band  ;D

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #674 on: May 25, 2015, 09:24:09 PM »
I didn't realize this thread was still in existence... What a joy!
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2015, 05:41:16 AM »
Meh.

I know people just like to pay Nicky out because his early videos and his LaBrie-isms are lolworthy, but tbh I didn't think that video was so bad.  His voice is solid.  Yeah he's not an AMAZING singer, but who fucking is nowadays - everyone's doctored to shit in the studio.  The band has a lot of room for improvement, but that's fine, it'll come if they keep it up. 

Maybe it's the culture in my country that makes me feel this way but I really don't get how people can dog other bands outright like that - if there's room for improvement, say so, constructively, and leave it at that. 

Kudos for them for getting out there and actually doing some fucking shows - that in itself puts the seemingly endless array of 'bedroom bands' to shame.

In a way, yes. And again, he has a powerful voice but again like you said, musically there is no talent in it. No control over it, no likeable timbre. Though I see a improvement  over the years considering his videos I watch but it seems it has to stay as a hobbie or something.

I really don't think an 'annoying timbre' is much of a hindrance at all - LaBrie's post-accident timbre is pretty mud.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #676 on: May 26, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »
but tbh I didn't think that video was so bad.  His voice is solid.  Yeah he's not an AMAZING singer, but who fucking is nowadays - everyone's doctored to shit in the studio.

I don't want to overly bash the guy as he seems a nice fellow, but I really don't subscribe to this default cynicism of "everybody sucks these days; he sucks a bit worse, so what". There is not a single moment in the video where he is on pitch. While that gets somewhat glossed over in the almost-spoken-word verses, it becomes brutally and obviously clear in that 3:00+ section.

Also, out of interest, what bands do you listen to that are live in the same ballpark as this?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2015, 07:41:57 PM »
I really don't subscribe to this default cynicism of "everybody sucks these days; he sucks a bit worse, so what".

I don't think everybody sucks.  I just realise that singing, live singing, is a lot harder than people give thought to, and that a lot of the time the people you think have great voices on record struggle when it comes to the live application.

There is not a single moment in the video where he is on pitch.

Granted, I listened to this on my laptop speakers last night, today on headphones... I can kinda see where you're coming from.  Still, I don't think that's a fair assessment - the verses definitely sound a bit off, like he's singing a major tonality over the minor progression (which Hetfield does all the time because he's shitty like that).   The chorus (I assume that's what it is) is definitely a lot better pitch-wise, where he's following the riff Ozzy-style.  The bridge part later in the song is also relatively in tune. 

The part at 3:05 is pretty terrible, granted.  But I know how easy it can be to lose the tune live, especially if you have a rubbish monitor system - I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. 

Also, out of interest, what bands do you listen to that are live in the same ballpark as this?

Not any bands that I listen to actively, but they definitely remind me of your average bar band, or school battle of the bands type-band.  It's clear through the recording that the riff-writing is there in some respectable form, but it definitely needs some work.

« Reply #678 on: July 06, 2015, 06:18:42 AM »
Not surprising to see some of the same pathetic individuals hating on Nicky nearly three years after I had just about had enough of this forum. Not that I particularly like his vocals either, but how low does one's sense of self-worth have to be to spend three years hating on a person? I'm also not sure what qualifies someone with no body of vocal work as far as we can see to coach others on how to sing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #679 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »
And you felt you needed to resurrect the thread for this, after it had been dead for over a month?

k.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:04:06 AM by rumborak »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #680 on: July 06, 2015, 09:12:21 AM »
From what I can tell, no one takes Nicky seriously because Nicky himself doesn't give off the impression that he takes himself too seriously. I haven't seen any hate. People critiquing, having a laugh, and giving advice.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #681 on: July 06, 2015, 04:52:52 PM »
Not surprising to see some of the same pathetic individuals hating on Nicky nearly three years after I had just about had enough of this forum. Not that I particularly like his vocals either, but how low does one's sense of self-worth have to be to spend three years hating on a person? I'm also not sure what qualifies someone with no body of vocal work as far as we can see to coach others on how to sing.

For what its worth, I think MondayMorningLunatic's vocals need a lot of work too. 

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #682 on: January 08, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »
Hi all,

I made a new cover  ;D
And I'm singing in a new band. I'll post some material once we have some.

This one is A Fortune In Lies. Enjoy!  :D

https://youtu.be/5CbT7Ao2hlI

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #683 on: January 08, 2016, 12:11:43 PM »
The prodigal son returns as off key and flat noted as usual.  :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #684 on: January 08, 2016, 12:14:27 PM »
Nicky Spanjaards :metal :metal :metal

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #685 on: January 08, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »
I have been a vocalist in various working bands for 25+ years and he is flat on nearly every single note he sings. Period.
Bye now

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #686 on: January 08, 2016, 12:23:17 PM »
A Fortune In Lies is by far one of the longest hi-pitch songs by DT, following closely Innocence Faded. You should try more head voice or mix, instead of chest voice. You're bursting your breath out before you finish the first line!

But I've got to admit, your tone and timbre are reasonably good!

« Reply #687 on: January 08, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
When you do the more harsh vocals, in lower register, it aint so bad. Did you try to do some Metallica?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #688 on: January 08, 2016, 03:14:10 PM »
Dude, Nicky, you still haven't got anymore posters to put up?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #689 on: January 08, 2016, 09:56:50 PM »
Am I smelling a poll? Rumby-drunk vs Nicky?

Offline 425

« Reply #690 on: January 08, 2016, 11:16:45 PM »
I like the use of Papyrus.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #691 on: January 09, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
Am I smelling a poll? Rumby-drunk vs Nicky?

Better get several vocal coaches.  Nicky has already had 13.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #692 on: January 09, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
I love this thread. Nicky it's nice to see you making improvements through the years. Keep at it man!!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #693 on: January 18, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »
Improvements in what way? He is still completely off key and every note he sings is flat.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #694 on: January 18, 2016, 01:15:53 PM »
He grew a goatee.

All is forgiven.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #695 on: January 18, 2016, 01:54:50 PM »
Improvements in what way? He is still completely off key and every note he sings is flat.

Yes, it's embarrassing. Tbh, some things you are made for and others you aren't. Nicky, singing the type of songs DT has is not for you. Too difficult.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #696 on: January 21, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »

Yes, it's embarrassing. Tbh, some things you are made for and others you aren't. Nicky, singing the type of songs DT has is not for you. Too difficult.

B.Lee
He sees these comments every time and yet he keeps coming back for more thinking next time it will different. Okay...
The definition of insanity...

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #697 on: February 16, 2016, 09:15:17 PM »
You keep doin' you, Nicky!!

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline genome

« Reply #698 on: February 17, 2016, 03:13:16 AM »

B.Lee

Personally, the only thing that is embarrassing is hating on someone for doing what they love doing.

Who cares if it's off-key or bad? Don't listen to it. It doesn't affect you in the slightest.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #699 on: February 17, 2016, 04:35:00 AM »

B.Lee

Personally, the only thing that is embarrassing is hating on someone for doing what they love doing.

Who cares if it's off-key or bad? Don't listen to it. It doesn't affect you in the slightest.

First off, there is no hate and I don't see where you get that from. Second, the guy is coming back again and again and people keep telling him it's not his thing and yet, he keeps coming back. Read the whole thread, people here have been more than nice. After a while, some of us wonder if the guy is capable of understanding what we're telling him.
If singing DT is his thing, so be it. I'm not judging him. BUT if you submit what you do to critical eyes, be prepared to be criticized -be it in a positive or a negative way.
Third, thanks for the lecture!

B.Lee
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:13:33 AM by Bertielee »