Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 146642 times)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #560 on: October 31, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »
Does today's date have any bearing on the troll vs legit debate?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #561 on: October 31, 2013, 07:49:23 AM »
When someone first told me about Nicky Spanjaards I had one thing to say: "The guy from those God-awful Youtube Vocal Cover Videos?" "I believe im James LaBrie." Yeah, nice thought, Nicky. But it caught DreamTheater Forums attention(and 5/8s). And then I started to pay attention to Nicky and all the good that he's been doing to our fan base. And you know what? I believe in Nicky Spanjaards. I believe that on his watch, Dream Theater can feel a little safer, a little more optimistic. Look at this face. This is the face of Dream Theater's bright future.

Nicky inspired me to sing, so hey, what's another cover that some people might have to put their ear plugs in for a couple minutes?

https://soundcloud.com/jimthescrivener/dream-theater-wait-for-sleep

-On a side note, longtime forum lurker. You guys have a great community, so I thought I would finally register.

Nice job man and welcome!
Might be a stupid question but how did you take the vocals out from the track?

Offline jimthescrivener

« Reply #562 on: October 31, 2013, 08:02:43 AM »
As far as removing the vocals from the original song, I have no idea how that would be done. Im not 100% familiar yet with the rules in regards to referencing other sites, so I will just say this; I saw an audio version of the song without vocals on a certain site, and then I used a tool from another site to rip that audio into an mp3 version.

(And no, I don't mean illegal downloading or file-sharing.) :yarr

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #563 on: October 31, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »
First I listened Wait For Sleep which is amazing then I found myself in a nightmare by listening *the new DT cover* from Nicky.

Oh God. Why did I do that?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #564 on: October 31, 2013, 10:08:14 AM »
Nicky, you have some competition now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ-LfB-X4hA
:lol :metal
No offense to Nicky, but Dennis is better. Much better pitch. He just needs to stop with the ridiculous growl at the end of sentences. Still not good however.
Thanks?  :lol wait do you guys know that's me?

I'm working on uploading more covers and also original music. If you don't like the growly things, surely there will be something I upload that you'll like better- I did those on purpose because I just figured out how to do it, and I thought it sounded cool, but I won't use that at the end of every sentence  :P. Plus you can watch my piano playing- that's my real trained skill.

Nicky- you can see my comment on youtube on your video  :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: October 31, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
Protip: I don't think anyone likes the growly things ;)

EDIT: OK, more constructive feedback, now that we know it's you.

-Not much wrong with the actual singing, to my ears
-Still, what's with the Nickyeqsue LaBrieisms? (the hand motions, darting for a water bottle between verses of easy material, etc.)
-You definitely got carried away with the growls, especially when they started to become how you ended every line
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:15:31 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #566 on: October 31, 2013, 11:02:10 AM »
Protip: I don't think anyone likes the growly things ;)

Proptip: You don't speak for everyone.
I liked them. I thought they were cool, they were just very randomly placed, and not controlled at all. Once he's using them in a more controlled and appropriate way, they'll kick ass. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: October 31, 2013, 11:06:23 AM »
Yeah, you liked them alright, just not how he sang them, or when.

:lol

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #568 on: October 31, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »

Ok tell you what, I'll keep doing what I'm doing, but get better and better at it. Sound good? That seems to be a great formula!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: October 31, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »
I just think growling sounds weird in DT songs.

If you like growling and singing, have you listened to any Periphery? Seems like it'd be right up your alley.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #570 on: October 31, 2013, 01:15:15 PM »
I actually thought the growling was hilarious. But yeah, Daniel and Nicky aren't in the same ballpark. Daniel is inexperienced, but clearly has a strong sense of pitch.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #571 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »
Dennis ;)

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #572 on: October 31, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »
Mm . . . I couldn't finish watching it (TGD cover). Sorry.

Probably better than I could do though.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #573 on: October 31, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »
Nicky, you have some competition now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ-LfB-X4hA
:lol :metal
No offense to Nicky, but Dennis is better. Much better pitch. He just needs to stop with the ridiculous growl at the end of sentences. Still not good however.
Thanks?  :lol wait do you guys know that's me?

I'm working on uploading more covers and also original music. If you don't like the growly things, surely there will be something I upload that you'll like better- I did those on purpose because I just figured out how to do it, and I thought it sounded cool, but I won't use that at the end of every sentence  :P. Plus you can watch my piano playing- that's my real trained skill.

Nicky- you can see my comment on youtube on your video  :)
Well, I didn't know that was you so at least you know you got my honest assessment. You need improvement but you are so young. It will come if you do the work. I sucked when I first started singing but I never gave up. Now after playing in bands that have done some pretty big shows over a span of 25 years I am proud of what I accomplished. Stay with it and most important...DO THE WORK! :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #574 on: October 31, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
Yes thanks, always give honest assessments. It's difficult right now because my voice has changed in the past 2 or 3 years so it's brand new to me. I don't sound like this one anymore- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMCtNZ_CsXo ..... thank god  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #575 on: October 31, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
I think the growls can be pretty cool, used in moderation.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: October 31, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #577 on: October 31, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
Yes thanks, always give honest assessments. It's difficult right now because my voice has changed in the past 2 or 3 years so it's brand new to me. I don't sound like this one anymore- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMCtNZ_CsXo ..... thank god  :lol
I actually think that was way better than the Panic Attack cover.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #578 on: October 31, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »
Dennis, I quite like stuff of yours I've heard so far. One can definitely tell your age and all, but you have good pitch and good understanding of the required style. The growling is not so necessary but even JLB seems very growl-happy in live environment nowadays and is adding rawness into many songs that didn't contain as much of it in the studio. So it's not like it's outrageous or anything. I'd like to hear you take on some older DT material - it's out of most people's leagues obviously but the newer material doesn't have as many grabbing vocal melodies.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #579 on: October 31, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Ok, I watched in horror. But I guess that's ok cause its Halloween? Seriously Nicky, you flat out badly on every single line you sing. I have been a singer for 25 years and I can't stand going to see bands with bad singers. I would walk out in 5 minutes if I saw you perform in a bar. Or stay for some laughs, depends on my mood. I see zero improvement at all! None! Not the slightest bit.
Harse? Yes it is, but you need to stop the delusion you are a legitimate vocalist. You are not!

TAKE SOME LESSONS FORM A LEGITIMATE TEACHER!

I dunno dude. You can look at it from two sides. I would argue Nicky is perfectly on pitch, but the music is off. It's a chicken and egg kinda thing. Who was off first?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #580 on: October 31, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
I would do vocal covers, as I have the ear for getting my pitch right very consistently at a lower range, but my voice just isn't meant for singing.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #581 on: October 31, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »
Yeah, you liked them alright, just not how he sang them, or when.

Oh you know what I mean. :lol

I hope. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #582 on: October 31, 2013, 09:13:36 PM »

I liked this one :)

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #583 on: November 01, 2013, 07:10:39 AM »

Nicky, I've only read a few pages of this thread, but I noticed you stated you aren't looking to make a career out of singing. If that's the case, I can't help but wonder why you've spent years worth of time and money on a vocal coach. That's quite an expensive hobby.

First of all, you need to make a concrete decision on what your aspirations are. Is it really just a hobby or are you serious about it? Do you want to be an "ok" singer or a great singer?

If you're wanting to be a great singer, you need to first find a new coach. He/she has failed to help you through just the mere basics, and apparently only gives a shit about taking your money. Secondly, do NOT try to do this on your own with the assistance of Youtube videos. I can't even begin to tell you how many people think they've perfected certain techniques through these videos, but have actually not. It's incredibly easy to get things wrong, and not even know it until you actually try to sing a song, and everything falls apart. You need a qualified professional paying close attention to what you are doing, ready to correct any mistakes you make. Furthermore, the entire process is a hell of a lot more involved than simply going through scales and doing breathing exercises.

Last, but not least, I implore you to put aside any concern for image, stage moves, and making videos for now. It is not where your focus should be right now. I know you probably don't want to hear it, but if you're really serious about this, you need to start this journey over from square one.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #584 on: November 01, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
As a more seasoned Nicky fan here, I think it's maybe worth throwing my 2 cents in:

Nicky is what he is. At this point I would say take it or leave it, for there won't be much change, for better or for worse. I for one have learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, and am always excited when there is a new video. It always walks a fine line of cringe, but that's what it makes it exciting at the same time. Regarding vocal coaches, I have never believed for a second there was any serious vocal coaching involved. I think the only vocal coaches there were, had names like Clive N. Budokan, or Hans-Anna Livetime.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #585 on: November 01, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »
he seems to spend waaaaaay more time perfecting hand gestures and mannerisms than actual vocal improvement.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: November 01, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »
I'd like to hear Nicky try something like "Take the Time"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #587 on: November 01, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »
NEVER STOP THE HAND MOVEMENTS. People don't want to tell you this because it's been top secret, but it's about time the world knows.. JLB couldn't hit high notes at one point either. He was struggling and getting off key constantly barely holding on to a D4. Then one day a prophet came to him in his dreams and displayed to him an array of hand and body motions. He didn't know why, but he HAD to get up out of bed and start singing again. Something within his soul guided him and he couldn't stop. He copied the movements, but still, no improvement was made. Did this make him stop? NO. He kept pursuing these motions because he had faith that it would lead him where he needed to go. That was until one day he felt the powers of the hand gestures and mannerism gods rush through his body like a wave of energy up from his toes to his arms and head. Suddenly.. POW F#5!

And now it's your turn Nicky Spanjaards. Do not stop the motions no matter what they tell you and some day you will be a god too.

Seriously though don't stop with them, I like your impersonation.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #588 on: November 01, 2013, 09:56:41 AM »
Serious doe, when it seems like he's worrying more about his hand movements and creepy obsession of becoming James LaBrie, rather than worrying about his actual singing, it's a problem.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #589 on: November 01, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »
Only if it's distracting him during the performance. But sometimes it can actually not be a distraction if it comes naturally from watching James and trying to replicate what you heard and saw. That's what I think. Sure if a passage comes when you need to concentrate for a second and not move, or move a certain way, go for it.. but you'll kind of look like James because that's what he does.  :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: November 01, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
I think it would be cool for Nicky and Dennis to do a duet like Charlie and James in WDADRU  :biggrin:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #591 on: November 01, 2013, 11:44:32 AM »
As a more seasoned Nicky fan here, I think it's maybe worth throwing my 2 cents in:

Nicky is what he is. At this point I would say take it or leave it, for there won't be much change, for better or for worse. I for one have learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, and am always excited when there is a new video. It always walks a fine line of cringe, but that's what it makes it exciting at the same time. Regarding vocal coaches, I have never believed for a second there was any serious vocal coaching involved. I think the only vocal coaches there were, had names like Clive N. Budokan, or Hans-Anna Livetime.
Nicky is what he is, and what he is is NOT a vocalist. Anyone can grow long hair and sing badly. As a vocalist, I find what Nicky does as offensive as me picking up a guitar not having a clue and telling people that I'm playing it when I'm not.
He has become a cult figure on this board and I find the whole thing entertaining for the most part, but he can't sing. Its bad and that may be a harsh assessment but at the same time its the 100% reality of it.

Does he think with each passing year of singly badly with no training we will at some point embrace it due to longevity? Umm...no.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:22:21 AM by Tick »

Offline PS Head

« Reply #592 on: November 01, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »
Im sorry Nickyspandex....or whatever your name is....that was awful.....out of tune.....horrendous.Please dont take whatever points of view forum members say about your vocals to heart...but your really not a singer/vocalist.Bloody good try though.......have you ever thought about baking cakes as a hobby!!

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #593 on: November 01, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »

I can't stop laughing.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #594 on: November 02, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »
Hahaha guys some posts made me really laugh, good sense of humor  :lol

I am taking vocal lessons though. My previous vocal coach wasn't that good, he was sick a lot of times etc. and he did even quit. So I had to search for another vocal coach. And if I look back I waited too long to search for another vocal coach.
The vocal coach I'm working with now is not so long, only since 2 months or so, so that's why there is not really a progression to sing on pitch. I only thought I can reach and hold the higher notes better then before and have better gritty tone, as it sounds more natural then first  ;) But we are working on that now and I'm ready to practise, practise and practise for it, since it's necessary.

And props to you Dennis! You're doing a good job and you indeed recognize the pitch better than me :) Way to go! I read your reaction on youtube, thanks for that man really appreciated.  ;) Doing a song together sometime down the road would be cool as Perpetual Change mentioned haha  :D