Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 147228 times)

Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #525 on: July 25, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
Yeah, if he used Audacity for example, it could have ripped out the main guitar part.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #526 on: July 25, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #527 on: July 25, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »
I love the JLB stage antics.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: July 25, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
Ran into this and I think it's a big improvement especially on Through Her Eyes

Nicky Spanjaards: School Of Christmas Rock - Bootleg 2011

Dream Theater - Through Her Eyes
Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon
Dream Theater - Love Lies Bleeding (Elton John Cover)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4OENXpcD2E&feature=plcp

Wow, that's pretty cool that the teacher just lets him randomly sing in class with a microphone and everything.  Is this like a School of Rock or something, according to the video title?  We have School of Rock by me in NY.  Anyway, he sounds on "Through Her Eyes."  Good job, Nicky!

UAGM made me smile because Nicky is really into it, but the class is just silently sitting there two feet away and not even looking at him.  I love Nicky's passion and energy. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #529 on: July 25, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »
I love the JLB stage antics.

That kick at the beginning made it look like he was aiming for some invisible guy's shins.  Nicky is a dangerous, dangerous man. 

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #530 on: July 25, 2012, 11:00:49 AM »
He is drinking water from the bottle just like James does. This is even copied. Wow.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #531 on: July 25, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »
Unfortunately, Nicky has not improved.  Whatsoever.  It's really kind of a bummer, honestly.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: July 25, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »
While Nicky has gotten a bit better (his new Metropolis video is a lot better than his original Winter Rose one), I don't think those LaBrie-isms are going to be discarded anytime soon. At this point, I do not really think Nicky is training to be a professional singer, but instead going for James LaBrie cosplay. To each his own  :biggrin: I do get some enjoyment out of watching these videos, so as long as Nicky keeps 'em coming I'll keep up the viewing.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #533 on: July 25, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »
Oh, no.  The Labrie-isms are far from being the problem here. :lol

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #534 on: July 25, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »
I'll say it again.......he HAS to be trolling all of us.  There's just no way.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #535 on: July 25, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
I find it sad that the standards for us judging Nicky have been lowered to such a degree that many of us are calling that rendition of Through Her Eyes to be "good" or "solid" simply because it's mostly on key. He's off quite often and timbre of his voice is just not appealing on that song at all.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: July 25, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »
I think Nicky sounds very good singing the tender ballad in a softer voice.  Maybe he's just better singing those types of songs for whatever reason.  His performance of "Under a Glass Moon" didn't appeal to me as much, however.  I also happen to think he's pretty brave.  I mean, getting up in front of a disinterested class and singing like that -- not just going through the motions, but singing w/ total passion and dedication.  He's fearless.  It's admirable.  And I think he has good stage presence.

EDIT: I think my fav part is exactly at 12:00 when he starts everyone clapping together, then at 12:28 he yells "Yeah!"  His effort is awesome.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:55:47 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #537 on: July 25, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
I think Nicky sounds very good singing the tender ballad in a softer voice.  Maybe he's just better singing those types of songs for whatever reason.  His performance of "Under a Glass Moon" didn't appeal to me as much, however.  I also happen to think he's pretty brave.  I mean, getting up in front of a disinterested class and singing like that -- not just going through the motions, but singing w/ total passion and dedication.  He's fearless.  It's admirable.  And I think he has good stage presence.

You're awesome Mebert, you can see the positive side of the holocaust.

Sadly he will read your statement as "You're a great singer Nicky, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be famous".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #538 on: July 25, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »

You're awesome Mebert, you can see the positive side of the holocaust.

:lol

I think Nicky sounds very good singing the tender ballad in a softer voice.

That's because Through Her Eyes is in his range.

That's not to say, though, that the song actually sounds good when he sings it.  Most of the notes are roughly in-tune, but his voice is really weak and the timbre is really strange.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #539 on: July 25, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
I do agree that its kinda cool that he just brought the microphone and everything and sang infront of a class...

When he got everyone clapping, that was pretty cool.

The singing needs work for sure... I feel like I always repeat myself but the singing is pretty decent when staying in the range like in Through Her Eyes but UAGM just doesn't look comfortable. It takes a lot of balls to sing that one because even Labrie has trouble singing it so instead I would choose something easier to sing for the heavy track.

Nice variety of song choices  :tup

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #540 on: July 25, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
Nicky may not have a perfect voice but he definitely has guts  :tup I could never sing in front of people, even if I had the best voice in the world, so kudos for that, Nicky!
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #541 on: July 26, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
Just found out about this thread and I can easily say that this shit is golden.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #542 on: June 17, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »
Hi all,

Over the past year I took vocal exercises and training. I also bought a keyboard to train my ears and to learn better pitch control. I must say that when I listen now to my Winter Rose cover I can only laugh about it  ;D Still have a way to go, but overall I have my voice a lot better under control.

Last month I recorded A Rite Of Passage. Let me know what you think: https://youtu.be/JDAYzlqHM2M

Nicky  :coolio

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #543 on: June 17, 2013, 05:26:59 PM »
The hand gesture at 7:45 is spot on :tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #544 on: June 17, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »
Hi all,

Over the past year I took vocal exercises and training. I also bought a keyboard to train my ears and to learn better pitch control. I must say that when I listen now to my Winter Rose cover I can only laugh about it  ;D Still have a way to go, but overall I have my voice a lot better under control.

Last month I recorded A Rite Of Passage. Let me know what you think: https://youtu.be/JDAYzlqHM2M

Getting better. A lot of times you start slightly off pitch, and then slide into the correct pitch. I will also say, during the chorus, it's nice seeing you take the lower harmony instead of the melody. It's still shaky and not exactly good, but I do see improvement. If you keep it up I think you'll get there. I definitely don't think you're tone deaf, because you have pitch recognition. I think what's happened now is that you spent so much time early on working on your moves that now you're having to go back and actually learn how to sing more properly. I will say that why it's a little shaky, your vibrato at about 4:27 is actually pretty nice. Keep up the hard work you silly banana.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #545 on: June 17, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »
New Nicky video, w00t!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #546 on: June 17, 2013, 08:55:18 PM »
 :corn It's been TOO long

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #547 on: June 17, 2013, 09:44:15 PM »
After watching the video I can say two things for certain:

1) Your hair is longer

2) Your arms are bigger. 

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #548 on: June 18, 2013, 07:40:23 AM »
Hi all,

Yes!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: June 18, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
Not to be mean, but I think you need a new vocal coach. Whoever you've got now isn't really helping you overcome many of your issues.

Look, the same thing happened to me with guitar. I had a guitar teacher who, at first, taught me exactly what I wanted to learn -- powerchords and some pentatonic scales. 2 years into playing, that was still all I knew, while friends were racing ahead of me with their expanded knowledge. I had to get a new teacher, to open my eyes to broadened avenues of playing. I sitll stink at guitar, but at least I have a much stronger foundational knowledge of it now.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #550 on: October 31, 2013, 05:37:18 AM »
After watching the video I can say two things for certain:

1) Your hair is longer

2) Your arms are bigger.

Yes that's true haha  :lol

As some of you recommended I got a new vocal coach. Since then I sing more relaxed and I have better control over my voice, so it really helped to leave the old coach and find a new one.

Here's a new video to show the improvement. This time it's The Great Debate: https://youtu.be/BrajZc8rvLE

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #551 on: October 31, 2013, 06:11:09 AM »
Contrary to what Rumby might think, there is a God!!! This is a marvelous day!!! The Prodigal son has returned!!!! :hefdaddy :biggrin: :hefdaddy
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #552 on: October 31, 2013, 06:12:43 AM »
That was hands down the best vocal cover I have heard of TGD all day.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #553 on: October 31, 2013, 06:20:38 AM »
Ok, I watched in horror. But I guess that's ok cause its Halloween? Seriously Nicky, you flat out badly on every single line you sing. I have been a singer for 25 years and I can't stand going to see bands with bad singers. I would walk out in 5 minutes if I saw you perform in a bar. Or stay for some laughs, depends on my mood. I see zero improvement at all! None! Not the slightest bit.
Harse? Yes it is, but you need to stop the delusion you are a legitimate vocalist. You are not!

TAKE SOME LESSONS FORM A LEGITIMATE TEACHER!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #554 on: October 31, 2013, 06:24:24 AM »
I'm not trying to be too critical here but have you thought about putting up more posters behind you?  I think that would improve the wall immensely. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: October 31, 2013, 06:27:40 AM »
Nicky, you have some competition now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ-LfB-X4hA

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #556 on: October 31, 2013, 06:31:49 AM »
Nicky, you have some competition now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ-LfB-X4hA
:lol :metal
No offense to Nicky, but Dennis is better. Much better pitch. He just needs to stop with the ridiculous growl at the end of sentences. Still not good however.

Offline jimthescrivener

« Reply #557 on: October 31, 2013, 07:14:08 AM »
When someone first told me about Nicky Spanjaards I had one thing to say: "The guy from those God-awful Youtube Vocal Cover Videos?" "I believe im James LaBrie." Yeah, nice thought, Nicky. But it caught DreamTheater Forums attention(and 5/8s). And then I started to pay attention to Nicky and all the good that he's been doing to our fan base. And you know what? I believe in Nicky Spanjaards. I believe that on his watch, Dream Theater can feel a little safer, a little more optimistic. Look at this face. This is the face of Dream Theater's bright future.

Nicky inspired me to sing, so hey, what's another cover that some people might have to put their ear plugs in for a couple minutes?

https://soundcloud.com/jimthescrivener/dream-theater-wait-for-sleep

-On a side note, longtime forum lurker. You guys have a great community, so I thought I would finally register.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:23:41 PM by jimthescrivener »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: October 31, 2013, 07:21:26 AM »
When someone first told me about Nicky Spanjaards I had one thing to say: "The guy from those God-awful Youtube Vocal Cover Videos?" "I believe im James LaBrie." Yeah, nice thought, Nicky. But it caught DreamTheater Forums attention(and 5/8s). And then I started to pay attention to Nicky and all the good that he's been doing to our fan base. And you know what? I believe in Nicky Spanjaards. I believe that on his watch, Dream Theater can feel a little safer, a little more optimistic. Look at this face. This is the face of Dream Theater's bright future.

Nicky inspired me to sing, so hey, what's another cover that some people might have to put their ear plugs in for a couple minutes?

https://soundcloud.com/jimthescrivener/dream-theater-wait-for-sleep

-On a side note, longtime forum lurker. You guys have a great community, so I thought I would finally register.

Dude, you totally sound good enough for a supporting role in a high school musical!