Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 147198 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #490 on: May 31, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
Another really cheap thing to do is to download one of those interval training apps on your smartphone. Recognizing intervals is a key capability for any musician.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #491 on: May 31, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
Come to think of it, Nicky, isn't there a school of music somewhere near you? Are they any good? If so, why not enroll in a university for some vocal and music lessons? With a university you should get an unbiased evaluation, professional knowledge and a fixed and focused curriculum.

No sadly not...the nearest school of music is 60 km away from me  :sad:

Another really cheap thing to do is to download one of those interval training apps on your smartphone. Recognizing intervals is a key capability for any musician.

rumborak

Thanks for that man! Which app do you recommend?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #492 on: May 31, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »
I actually never used one because I trained that skill long before smartphones existed, but a friend of mine tried several on Android. Don't remember which one he liked though :(

What I did back in the day was listening to TV and movies, and tried to play melodies on my guitar first try. So, I would go the intervals through my head, map them on the fretboard, all before picking up the guitar. Then I would try it on the guitar to see whether/where I was wrong. Was a nice combo exercise that taught me both intervals and the fretboard.

rumborak

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #493 on: May 31, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
Nicky, I'm in the need of repeating my advice. Just record your voice, don't show yourself in front the camera. Actually, stand moveless and sing to the mic. Moving while singing can effect your performance. This is not a stage performance. Just record your voice in a proper way.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #494 on: June 01, 2012, 12:07:56 AM »
Here's a different angle, somewhat in line with Serox' comment:

Nicky, there's two elements to being musician: the style, and the craft. What most people see is the style, but what actually makes most serious musicians succeed is their mastery of the craft.
You have spent a lot of time on style. The mimicking of James' mannerisms. The shirts. The website.
Problem is, you sorely neglected the craft. Without knowing the craft you'll always noodle around that "wannabe" level that you're currently at.

rumborak

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #495 on: June 01, 2012, 06:02:03 AM »
Here's a different angle, somewhat in line with Serox' comment:

Nicky, there's two elements to being musician: the style, and the craft. What most people see is the style, but what actually makes most serious musicians succeed is their mastery of the craft.
You have spent a lot of time on style. The mimicking of James' mannerisms. The shirts. The website.
Problem is, you sorely neglected the craft. Without knowing the craft you'll always noodle around that "wannabe" level that you're currently at.

rumborak
To be honest, he also fails at style. Its all kind of goofy for me. The singing is just plain awful. Sorry.  Really no other way to put it if your being honest about it. I'm not saying Nicky can't learn how to sing better, but it will NEVER happen without legit guidance.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #496 on: June 01, 2012, 08:41:48 AM »
You can make videos but just take a seat and relax. I usually like watching videos of people performing etc because its entertaining but there is no need to do a lot of those movements that Labrie does.

Just take a seat and sing bro. If you are performing with a band then keep doing what you are doing

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #497 on: June 01, 2012, 08:49:54 AM »
i still think this is all an elaborate troll

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #498 on: June 01, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »

A 2 year troll? That's dedication to the art

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #499 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:01 AM »

A 2 year troll? That's dedication to the art

some men just wanna watch the world burn

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #500 on: June 01, 2012, 10:16:04 AM »
Definetly not a troll. He is just a delusional kid who just doesn't realize he can't sing. He is hearing something totally different than what our ears are hearing.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #501 on: June 02, 2012, 01:50:31 AM »
what im wandering is, and please answer if you read this. we've recently been telling you things to practice instead of just singing DT over and over again, but what has your teacher been telling you to do for the last 2 years then?

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #502 on: June 02, 2012, 06:24:50 AM »
I actually never used one because I trained that skill long before smartphones existed, but a friend of mine tried several on Android. Don't remember which one he liked though :(

What I did back in the day was listening to TV and movies, and tried to play melodies on my guitar first try. So, I would go the intervals through my head, map them on the fretboard, all before picking up the guitar. Then I would try it on the guitar to see whether/where I was wrong. Was a nice combo exercise that taught me both intervals and the fretboard.

rumborak

OK, I'm going to download some of those apps and check which one is the best.

what im wandering is, and please answer if you read this. we've recently been telling you things to practice instead of just singing DT over and over again, but what has your teacher been telling you to do for the last 2 years then?
Basically we practised ballads (some of Kane and that sort of bands), listening, singing and hearing notes on a piano and stomach excercises.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #503 on: June 02, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »
This thread is full of so much win.

So glad I took the time to read through the whole thing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #504 on: June 10, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »
I take it we'll never hear Somewhere Over The Rainbow then?
And no bailing out of the "Somday I'll wish upon a star" part, that's where the cool key change happens.

rumborak
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:28:52 AM by rumborak »

Offline jsem

« Reply #505 on: June 13, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
Practice singing jazz standards. It'll do wonders for interval recognition plus being able to hit more odd tones in the chords, like the major 7th or tritone.

I haven't listened to you much, but this is good practice nonetheless.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #506 on: June 13, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »
And no bailing out of the "Somday I'll wish upon a star" part, that's where the cool key change happens.

rumborak

Of course he won't.

However he may give us a brilliant rendition of On The Backs of Angels in coming months. Judging by his history.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #507 on: June 13, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »

rumborak

Of course he won't.

However he may give us a brilliant rendition of On The Backs of Angels in coming months. Judging by his history.
:lol Hey guys here's a video of the entire AA saga! I did MP's vocals too!

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #508 on: June 13, 2012, 08:57:54 PM »

rumborak

Of course he won't.

:lol Hey guys here's a video of the entire AA saga! I did MP's vocals too!

:rollin i thought that you were him with that damn avatar

Offline jsem

« Reply #509 on: June 14, 2012, 02:19:01 AM »
:rollin
epic avatar

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #510 on: June 14, 2012, 07:30:44 AM »
This thread is so legendary

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #511 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:49 AM »
Honestly unless you're a trained vocal coach you should just tell Nicky to get a trained vocal coach instead of giving him specific advice (not that I know he would follow it)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #512 on: June 14, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »
I do not agree with that statement. There's a lot of musicians on this board who have very good knowledge, and your argument is essentially that you shouldn't advise on driving unless you're a driving instructor. Which is ridiculous.
I *would* agree with you if Nicky made subtle mistakes that are tricky to rectify. As it stands, his vocal performance could land him in the first two episodes of any American Idol season.

rumborak

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #513 on: June 14, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
rumby is correct.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #514 on: June 14, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »
I do not agree with that statement. There's a lot of musicians on this board who have very good knowledge, and your argument is essentially that you shouldn't advise on driving unless you're a driving instructor. Which is ridiculous.
I *would* agree with you if Nicky made subtle mistakes that are tricky to rectify. As it stands, his vocal performance could land him in the first two episodes of any American Idol season.

rumborak

It's not that they're not knowledgeable. It's just that now the kid has like 345,875,053 directions from like 124,538,634 people, none of whom is close to the situation. It's getting muddy and probably just confusing him.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #515 on: June 14, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »
Aside from the guy who suggest Jazz standards, we're all giving him essentially the same advice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #516 on: June 14, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »

rumborak

It's not that they're not knowledgeable. It's just that now the kid has like 345,875,053 directions from like 124,538,634 people, none of whom is close to the situation. It's getting muddy and probably just confusing him.

The thing is that he's gotten the "get a private teacher" suggestion many, many, many times. It's probably the most common suggestion he's gotten.

EDIT: The situation is made all the worse by the fact that the teacher he has/had doesn't seem to be helping whatsoever.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:30:52 PM by theseoafs »

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #517 on: June 14, 2012, 10:28:19 PM »
This thread is so legendary

i always picture Larry David speaking when I read your posts lol

Offline Vivace

« Reply #518 on: June 15, 2012, 01:43:22 AM »
Aside from the guy who suggest Jazz standards, we're all giving him essentially the same advice.

Pretty much this. I would stay away from Jazz for the moment. Jazz in my mind is like defensive driving for the learned. You don't dare tackle it without a foundation first and that's where everyone is trying to steer Nicky right now. Back to basics and to know them.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #519 on: June 15, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »
I actually don't buy that he's taken singing lessons, I think he said that so that we would be convinced of his skill and that he's taking the craft serious. A while ago he said the next music school is really far from where he lives (which of course is a somewhat hilarious statement given he's from the Netherlands). And honestly, it's highly unlikely that anyone would make that little progress with regular singing lessons.

rumborak

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #520 on: July 25, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
Ran into this and I think it's a big improvement especially on Through Her Eyes

Nicky Spanjaards: School Of Christmas Rock - Bootleg 2011

Dream Theater - Through Her Eyes
Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon
Dream Theater - Love Lies Bleeding (Elton John Cover)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4OENXpcD2E&feature=plcp

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #521 on: July 25, 2012, 08:32:39 AM »
Yo dawg, I heard you like covers, so I covered a cover so you can interpret while you interpret.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2012, 08:38:31 AM »
Through Her Eyes was actually a pretty solid live performance. A few of the usual pitch issues with some sharp notes, but overall it was on melody, the tone was consistent, and it had some style, and was admirable for performing in front of a crowd.

Then UAGM came on, and it sounded like the usual. If he'd stopped after Through Her Eyes, the crowd would have left with a good impression. I think UAGM undid that. That's tough even for a seasoned and well trained vocalist like JLB, and was just way out of range, and you could hear the voice cracking and just not reaching those notes.

Stick to songs in the appropriate range, and know your limits. And also, stop copying JLB's exact mannerisms. It was too obvious.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #523 on: July 25, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »
Through Her Eyes sounded great. But what was up with the guitar part? It sounded a little out of time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #524 on: July 25, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
Through Her Eyes sounded great. But what was up with the guitar part? It sounded a little out of time.

I noticed that. My theory is that he used a karaoke effect to remove the existing vocals, and it removed the main guitar lead too, leaving only the delay?
You can hear the same thing on UAGM, although because it's a full band song, it didn't work as effectively there, and you can hear the drums sound empty and echoey, and you can still hear JLB enough for the audience to hear what the vocals should have sounded like. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.