Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 147216 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #455 on: May 29, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »
Fine, here's a piece of advice I haven't seen given yet.

Nicky, singing DT songs over and over isn't practice. When we tell you to practice, we don't mean just continue doing what you're doing over and over, no improvement is made that way. I have a feeling your version of practicing is putting on a CD and singing to it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #456 on: May 29, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »
Just to clarify, at first Nicky was here simply pushing his videos (and asking for comments) which made him open to a little more pointed comments then the forum would normally allow. If Nicky does plan to stay and contribute to other threads and be a normal member as he's said, I ask that everyone treat him with the respect you would everyone else. Of course you can still criticize his videos and such, just please do so in a nice manner.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #457 on: May 29, 2012, 12:44:28 AM »

I'm not telling him he's going to be a top 100 vocalist or that he'll make a successful living as a professional musician. I'm just saying that he can get good with the aforementioned tools.

In case you didn't notice, that's exactly what I told him. He can maybe one day become decent. But he will not have a professional singer career. That's exactly what I told him.

Regarding the other statements, I don't see how you can be certain that his problems are correctable. He's been posting videos for 2 years now, and the two major problems of his, pitch and control, have not improved. Supposedly after professional guidance no less.

rumborak

How can you be certain he will not have a professional singing career if he can be "decent"? There are plenty of professional singers who are only "decent" and do just fine for themselves. It shouldn't be too hard to think of some.

That's true, but Nicky also doesn't have any of the other things that make for a good metal frontman.

Offline Stonestef

« Reply #458 on: May 29, 2012, 02:18:36 AM »

That's true, but Nicky also doesn't have any of the other things that make for a good metal frontman.

Well, he is only 20.This guy over here:

is now this guy:

I don't like him but he sure looks more badass than back then.
Nicky, my opinion is that you don't need a fan page on FB and a personal website. At least, not yet. Please answer if you read this, do you really expect people to register on your site's forum? And talk about what, the DT covers? My suggestion is that you delete all these videos,fan pages,sites etc, vanish off the internet for a while and come back when you have really practiced hard and your voice is improved. And post your next videos here. Your friends or family will always be telling you that you sound great because they don't want to hurt you. But here we don't know you and we tell you the truth. At least, if you want to keep your website on,get someone who knows a thing or two about image manipulation. What the hell is that,man?  :lol 
https://www.nickyspanjaards.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/Nicky.jpg

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #459 on: May 29, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
Nicky, my opinion is that you don't need a fan page on FB and a personal website. At least, not yet. Please answer if you read this, do you really expect people to register on your site's forum? And talk about what, the DT covers? My suggestion is that you delete all these videos,fan pages,sites etc, vanish off the internet for a while and come back when you have really practiced hard and your voice is improved. And post your next videos here. Your friends or family will always be telling you that you sound great because they don't want to hurt you. But here we don't know you and we tell you the truth. At least, if you want to keep your website on,get someone who knows a thing or two about image manipulation. What the hell is that,man?  :lol 
I think everybody was telling him exactly those words two years ago, trying to help him out.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #460 on: May 29, 2012, 09:57:32 AM »
And how the hell most of you can be sure he doesn't have talent to be singer. I'm sure many singer in that age can't control their voice and even can't hit any notes properly.

Call it musician's intuition. I have dealt with quite a few musicians over the years, and you get reasonably good at spotting who has surmountable issues, and who doesn't.

In all of this discussion I am reminded of a discussion I had with a German coworker a while ago. We both arrived in the US at roughly the same time, meaning we spent the last ~8 years in the US. The interesting part is, there is a *huge* difference between his English and mine. Without patting myself on the back, I make very few pronunciational errors these days, whereas he has a strong and classic German accent.
The reason I'm mentioning this is because we had a discussion about how English pronunciation has changed over the years. So, I was telling him that these days for many Americans there is no difference between "wail" and "whale". His answer? "What do you mean? You just said the same word twice". So, I proceeded to totally over-pronounce the aspirated "w" in the word "whale", but he kept asking whether I was making fun of him by just  saying the same word twice.
The bottom line was, he didn't hear the difference. And if you want to improve anything, you first have to hear the difference between what's correct and what isn't. And I think it's the same with Nicky; over the years he has amply displayed that he doesn't believe us when we say he doesn't hit the notes. He has instead invested in new microphones and effects processors, because that was his theory all the time, that we're mistaking bad recording quality with bad vocal performance. (he said that many many times)
The most likely explanation I have for that is that he simply doesn't hear the difference. I think to this day he writes our criticism off as nitpicking; whereas for most of us it's a difference between night and day.

rumborak
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:05:36 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #461 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
Speaking of forum, anyone want to join it?

Why, yes of course.

When another forum split takes place, I'm taking refuge in there.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #462 on: May 29, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
I think everybody was telling him exactly those words two years ago, trying to help him out.

your avatar  :rollin

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #463 on: May 29, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
Nicky, can you post any of your band's videos, so we can see if you are any better at singing your own material? I really think DT material is way too hard for you to sing, but perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised if you post something of Era IV's?
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #464 on: May 29, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, are there any videos of him singing songs by bands other than Dream Theater?

Yeah, this is a Metallica: Master Of Puppets cover which I did 1 year ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-9m8clFag
And this one is Symphony Of Destruction by Megadeth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUzTG5-NX2s

Nicky, can you post any of your band's videos, so we can see if you are any better at singing your own material? I really think DT material is way too hard for you to sing, but perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised if you post something of Era IV's?

Yeah sure, I'll post one tomorrow. Now I'm going to sleep.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #465 on: May 29, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
I still uploaded the cover before I will sleep.  ;)
It's a cover of Accept: Balls To The Wall: https://youtu.be/6YgHlvL1Puk

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #466 on: May 29, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
Hey, Nicky, that cover's pretty damn good! Accept suits your vocal range well.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #467 on: May 29, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »
Silence the critics, Nicky!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #468 on: May 30, 2012, 12:00:54 AM »
man. I could re-respond to this thread in a few different ways, but I think I'm gonna go for the neutral post -- posting about how I could respond. I could respond continuing to try to encourage Nicky positively, but have him completely ignore the help and only actively respond to praises and requests for more videos. Or I could respond and talk about what a complete tone-deaf, clueless, delusional moron he is. But I'm not responding. I'm simply thinking about how I could respond. But I haven't responded. Or I could delete everything I just typed. Whoops already clicked post

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #469 on: May 30, 2012, 12:04:14 AM »
btw Rumby I like your comparison in reply 460

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #470 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »

Nicky, singing DT songs over and over isn't practice. When we tell you to practice, we don't mean just continue doing what you're doing over and over, no improvement is made that way. I have a feeling your version of practicing is putting on a CD and singing to it.

That's true. So next time I practise I must set the volume to minimal or so?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #471 on: May 30, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »
He's saying not to only use CDs to practice.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

« Reply #472 on: May 30, 2012, 09:13:44 AM »

What? No.

Practice actual practice routines. Singing DT is something you're not good at because you haven't figured out the basic techniques yet. Continuously doing what you can't do over and over won't make you any better at it. Stop singing DT all together. Learn all of the basics BEFORE singing DT. So when we tell you to practice, don't sing along to ANY bands. That isn't practice, it's goofing around.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #473 on: May 30, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
Or I could respond and talk about what a complete tone-deaf, clueless, delusional moron he is.

That is definitely not needed here, please keep that kind of crap out of the thread.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #474 on: May 30, 2012, 09:31:46 AM »
Nice job on the cover Nicky.

Sounding good :tup

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #475 on: May 30, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »

What? No.

Practice actual practice routines. Singing DT is something you're not good at because you haven't figured out the basic techniques yet. Continuously doing what you can't do over and over won't make you any better at it. Stop singing DT all together. Learn all of the basics BEFORE singing DT. So when we tell you to practice, don't sing along to ANY bands. That isn't practice, it's goofing around.

OK, thanks for the explanation. So I should first train to sing every note on pitch, ear training, learn notes on the acoustic guitar before I go to the more advanced steps?

Online Adami

« Reply #476 on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:17 AM »

Which cover is he sounding good on? I'm honestly curious.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #477 on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »
Hey, Nicky, that cover's pretty damn good! Accept suits your vocal range well.

Thank you both  :smiley:

Online Adami

« Reply #478 on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »

What? No.

OK, thanks for the explanation. So I should first train to sing every note on pitch, ear training, learn notes on the acoustic guitar before I go to the more advanced steps?

Yes Nicky. As we've all been telling you for two years now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #479 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:55 AM »

This one, the cover of Balls To The Wall:
https://youtu.be/6YgHlvL1Puk

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #480 on: May 30, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »
I think this is what people are suggesting, so I'll try to make an analogy for you.

When you learn math, you don't jump right into algebra and calculus in kindergarden.  You start with basic counting, addition, and subtraction.

Trying to sing covers (particularly DT) is like jumping right into algebra and calculus.  Start lower or at the beginning and work your way up.  I am capable of singing, but I don't know how to sing.  I get the impression you're in the same boat as me, except that I don't really care about learning to sing because I'm not trying to be a singer.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #481 on: May 30, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »

This one, the cover of Balls To The Wall:
https://youtu.be/6YgHlvL1Puk

HUGEEEE improvement. Feels like you guys are performing at a concert too with all the lights and having a lot fun  :metal

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #482 on: May 30, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »

What? No.

have you not been listening?

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #483 on: May 30, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »

What? No.

I listened, but it was more to confirm it if he meant those things with the basics ;)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #484 on: May 30, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
No offense, but don't quit your day job.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #485 on: May 30, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »

What? No.

I listened, but it was more to confirm it if he meant those things with the basics ;)

No, I mean listening for the last like, 2 years?

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #486 on: May 30, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »
Didn't read the entire thread but I'm getting a "Borat" vibe here. I'm going to feel stupid if you all know it is and are playing along.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #487 on: May 30, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »
Didn't read the entire thread but I'm getting a "Borat" Bruno vibe here. I'm going to feel stupid if you all know it is and are playing along.

ftfy
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #488 on: May 30, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
Silence the critics, Nicky!

Viva la Resistance!

Fight the power.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Vivace

« Reply #489 on: May 31, 2012, 10:46:16 AM »
Come to think of it, Nicky, isn't there a school of music somewhere near you? Are they any good? If so, why not enroll in a university for some vocal and music lessons? With a university you should get an unbiased evaluation, professional knowledge and a fixed and focused curriculum.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"