Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 147203 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #385 on: May 27, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
Like others have said, there is marked improvement, so it means you probably haven't plateaued yet if you are willing to continuously hone your craft.  The challenge for you now is to not rest on your laurels yet and keep working.  I'm not a vocalist so I can't give you any specific advice, but I would suggest that while singing covers is a good way to practice and improve (since you and your coach) will have some point of reference, it might be a good idea to start developing your own voice as well.  You're never going to sound like JLB, even similar voices like Steve Perry and the Filipino guy that replaced him sound a little different.  The ultimate goal is to have your own band, right?  So make it about you and play to your strengths.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #387 on: May 27, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »
Grab an acoustic guitar and write a bunch of acoustic stuff. Just simple chords and sing over it all, practice like that. It's quite helpful if your vocal coach is proving to be as useless as yours is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #388 on: May 27, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »
It's of course a mixed bag. While there are improvements, they're mostly cosmetic (microphone etc). The substantial issues, such as pitch and control, IMHO have not improved. More than a quarter of the notes are still off-pitch.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #389 on: May 27, 2012, 02:59:34 PM »
Nicky, whatever happened to that cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #390 on: May 27, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
Yeah, I would still like to hear that, especially without any backing track. It's a challenging sequence of notes and key shifts. Shifting keys without backing tracks separates the wheat from the chaff when it comes to singers.

rumborak

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #391 on: May 27, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »
I just saw the wait for sleep cover which I think is your best one. Good stuff

https://vimeo.com/27335440

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #392 on: May 27, 2012, 04:41:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!
I know I still have a long way to go, but I'm up for that challenge! I'm just 20, so I still have some years left  :D
I still follow singing lessons, but beside that I also train with cd's that are released by professional vocal coaches.
The advice of the acoustic guitar is a great one, I'm learning guitar at the moment.

EDIT: Completely forgot about the Somewhere Over The Rainbow song! I'm going to study it and then I'll make a video of it. Keep you updated.

Online Adami

« Reply #393 on: May 27, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
I know this thread has become somewhat of a hallmark around here, but why is it still in the DT section?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #394 on: May 27, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
EDIT: Completely forgot about the Somewhere Over The Rainbow song! I'm going to study it and then I'll make a video of it. Keep you updated.
:tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #395 on: May 27, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
Another bitchin' vocal tune is the melody of the old Star Trek series. Starts out with a minor 7th, and then has shitloads of chromatics in it.

rumborak

Online Adami

« Reply #396 on: May 27, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
Another bitchin' vocal tune is the melody of the old Star Trek series. Starts out with a minor 7th, and then has shitloads of chromatics in it.

rumborak

Good god rumby you can be cruel.

"It seems you're having trouble crawling...........I suggest you run a marathon"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #397 on: May 27, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »
I know this thread has become somewhat of a hallmark around here, but why is it still in the DT section?

"DT" vocal covers

EDIT: Actually it could be in the musicians section too

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #398 on: May 27, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »
This thread makes me feel funny inside.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #399 on: May 27, 2012, 11:37:56 PM »
woah how did I never see this thread?!

Nicky -- kudos for putting videos of yourself singing relatively difficult music on the internet -- I always think its a positive thing when people are moved so much by music that they learn the parts, sing along, etc., even when they may not be that good at it.

What's funny is that everyone is talking about vocal training --- that can only go so far (but it is important). What you really need is some serious EAR training. Your voice will do its own work if your ears are strong. Try this exercise. You say you've started playing some guitar -- that will help.

I've taught seemingly tone-deaf people to sing pretty damn well in tune with this exercise, over a period of time, with all different tonalities (not just major).

Step one: tune your guitar perfectly. Judging by your range, G major will be a good key to start in here.

Sing the notes G and A. The lyrics are "Do - re - major - second", playing a G major chord while singing "Do", a D major chord at "Re", Gmaj at "major" and Dmaj at "second" (so the notes you are singing: Do = G, Re = A, major = G, second = A ---- clear?)

We're going to do this for all diatonic intervals.

Next is G and B (major third), so you sing "Do - mi - major - third", but this time holding a Gmaj chord the whole time.

G and C is a perfect fourth, so you sing "Do - fa - perfect - fourth", with Gmaj and Cmaj chords alternating.

Next, G - D: "Do - sol - perfect - fifth" with Gmaj the whole time.

G - E "Do - la - major - sixth", again with Gmaj and Cmaj alternating.

G - F# "Do - ti - major - seventh",  with Gmaj and Dmaj alternating.

Lastly, G - G: "Do - do - perfect - octave" with Gmaj the whole time.

then go backwards.

this will hammer basic tonality, diatonic intervals, and a simple I-IV-V progression into your head. You need this kind of concrete groundwork to build up from, so that you can sing things in tune, not just from memory of how it sounded in a song, but "ear-logically", relating things to a tonality. Everything you are singing is tonal music, and its not like you're singing every note out of tune, but its definitely not consistent. I think this exercise will help you immensely if you do it slowly. Later on you do it with natural minor and all the other modes of the major scale, and then with all the modes of harmonic minor and melodic minor.

Start doing the exercise with the guitar - the chords will help give you a "safety net" and a very clear progression to relate what you're doing to. Then try it with just a "Do" drone, in all different keys.

Then without any reference. This is the important part. RECORD THIS and listen back to how close you can stay to the original key. This is a very telling exercise, and I think you'll be able to do it.

Make a video of yourself doing the exercise with the guitar and without.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #400 on: May 27, 2012, 11:48:51 PM »
Can I offer some rather brutal yet honest advice:

1) Someone said practice with an acoustic guitar. Do this! People seem to hear improvement. The only improvement I hear is that you have somehow managed to blanket over the problem areas with either flashy equipment or by doing something kinda weird with your voice (raspy vocals, screaming here and there, etc). This is why the acoustic guitar thing is vital. You need to drop all of this flashy equipment you have and get to the root of it all, your voice, clean, without distortion, without singing raspy or screaming.

2) For the love of God, stop practicing to CDs. You need a real, live, breathing person sitting next to you and this person needs to be absolutely unrelenting and cruel but only insofar as to push you and move you in the direction you need to go. So throw away those profession CDs with vocal coaches and fire your previous vocal coach. Go out and find a teacher that a) isn't afraid to tell you to your face that you need training b) knows "how" to train you and c) will not get you to perform tricks to mask your faults.

3) And this might be a hard thing to hear but only you can do this. You have to convince yourself that you need to start again from the basic foundations of singing. You need to unlearn (as Yoda would say) these tricks and cutting-corners and start with a baseline. I'm pretty convinced that you don't have a baseline that you are drawing from other than to emulate James Labrie. Imitation is definitely a form of flattery but I think we are beyond this right now. I mean if someone picks up a guitar they are going to start with a baseline such as classical, blues, jazz or modern and have their inspirations they draw from and try to play, just as you are drawing from Labrie and trying to sing his stuff. Good for you! But now it's time to put all of that aside. Drop the imitation routine and start singing and developing your vocal style. Your throat will thank you for it.

I think there are a few here that really believe that you can improve but you need to throw away almost everything and get outside assistance. You have the motivation.

My two cents.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Online Adami

« Reply #401 on: May 27, 2012, 11:55:49 PM »
@Jazzy: He doesn't quite know how to play guitar yet, according to him. But if he did, then that advice would be great.

@Vivace: That is some excellent advice. However Nicky started posting these almost 2 years ago. In that time he has made virtually no improvement (despite some of the people here who are trying to be nice and supportive). So I really don't think that either A) He is listening to any of our advice or B) It's doing any good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #402 on: May 28, 2012, 01:18:20 AM »
@Jazzy: He doesn't quite know how to play guitar yet, according to him. But if he did, then that advice would be great.

I've never seen a student take more than 2 weeks to learn those 3 chords, and he seems to have the motivation to learn. Good chance to practice the chords, too. Kill two stones with one bird.

Online Adami

« Reply #403 on: May 28, 2012, 01:20:14 AM »

I've never seen a student take more than 2 weeks to learn those 3 chords, and he seems to have the motivation to learn. Good chance to practice the chords, too. Kill two stones with one bird.

How about you and Nicky do a duet?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #404 on: May 28, 2012, 01:40:36 AM »

rumborak

:lol That's just cruel even for a good vocalist, plus all of those weird intervals and chromatics make it a real bitch to even memorize.
However, I'd still love to see it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #405 on: May 28, 2012, 01:49:27 AM »
Some of you really need to stop bitching, guys.

I admit, he is too far being "good" but I think he is trying and I really see some improvement since he's posted his videos. He is young and clearly he wants to have singing career.

Again I admit, I found some of his performance funny and I really advice when you record your voice, don't show yourself in front of the camera or at least don't act like James LaBrie (especially hand thing), just your voice and that would be great. Nicky, this is not just about you. We all can be seemed funny in front of the camera, so in that case it could be hard to focus on your voice.

Keep working... Working hard.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #406 on: May 28, 2012, 02:06:34 AM »
Some of you really need to stop bitching, guys.

I admit, he is too far being "good" but I think he is trying and I really see some improvement since he's posted his videos. He is young and clearly he wants to have singing career.

Again I admit, I found some of his performance funny and I really advice when you record your voice, don't show yourself in front of the camera or at least don't act like James LaBrie (especially hand thing), just your voice and that would be great. Nicky, this is not just about you. We all can be seemed funny in front of the camera, so in that case it could be hard to focus on your voice.

Keep working... Working hard.

Thanks man, next time I won't give a show in the video but really concentrate on the voice.

Online Adami

« Reply #407 on: May 28, 2012, 02:48:37 AM »
Ah screw it, I give up.

Nicky, you're great. Please sing Learning to Live.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Vivace

« Reply #408 on: May 28, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
did I turn on my Google Translate without knowing?
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #409 on: May 28, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »
Ah screw it, I give up.

That's the spirit!

rumborak

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #410 on: May 28, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »
Ah screw it, I give up.

Yeah what I noticed when I took a couple hours yesterday to read this thread/watch the videos is that he seems to be ignoring all the criticisms but when someone says something positive he listens. 

I consider myself more of a songwriter but when I do singing, I try to stay in a comfortable range. Nicky's throat seems to be in pain when he is reaching those high notes. I'm not really gonna say much more because most of the posts here have already pointed out the issues.  Keep practicing but I would sing songs that are more in a comfortable range.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #411 on: May 28, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
I am seriously getting to the point where I think this is just one massive troll

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #412 on: May 28, 2012, 11:13:20 AM »
Nah, no troll, this shit's for real. He used to play in a band and posted videos for that, and he used to have that infamous "bad burrito gives me stomach cramps" website.

rumborak

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #413 on: May 28, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »
Nah, no troll, this shit's for real. He used to play in a band and posted videos for that, and he used to have that infamous "bad burrito gives me stomach cramps" website.

rumborak

i know. it's just unreal how long this has gone on for and the ammount of progress he has made

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
Out of curiosity, are there any videos of him singing songs by bands other than Dream Theater? 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Adami

« Reply #415 on: May 28, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
Out of curiosity, are there any videos of him singing songs by bands other than Dream Theater?

There's one of him singing The Hunter by Iced Earth, and one of Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth.

They're somewhere, I don't feel like finding them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #416 on: May 28, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
He does a cover of the Queen medley, search for his name and "Vimeo".

rumborak

Online Adami

« Reply #417 on: May 28, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
He does a cover of the Queen medley, search for his name and "Vimeo".

rumborak

Wow.

Actually, when he's singing low and very softly, he's not half bad.

EDIT: Just watching now The Answer Lies Within and I take back what I just said about him not sounding half bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #418 on: May 28, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »
Everyone is talking about what Nicky should change, but I want to talk about what he should keep the same.

Please always start off the video by coming from behind the camera in a hulking, lumbering sort of way, with broad shoulders and your head slightly down. 

It is also a good idea to walk like that in public to avoid being mugged. 

Online Adami

« Reply #419 on: May 28, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
Just found this. https://www.nickyspanjaards.com/

Nicky, you need humility and perspective. Seriously.
fanticide.bandcamp.com