Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 146662 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »
I know I'm hooked.  I've been following ever so closely

:corn
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »
https://vimeo.com/15984151

So it at LaBrie's forum, so figure I could post it here.

I'd say stop taking requests for at least a year, Nicky.
That is fucking atrocious! It makes me want to cause physical harm to myself as I listen. The military could literally play that song in a loop to torture prisoners. It would be quite effective!
You have not learned anything and I can't even sugar coat anymore. You are a bad singer.  
Stop posting these pieces of vomit thinking one of them will get praise. I lost my ability to put a positive spin on this anymore. You learn nothing. Your the child who puts his hand on the hot stove burner, cry's, then does it again repeatedly. You are destined for American Idol audition stardom.

I just realized you didn't post it PC did so I'm sorry for that part. But you do keep making them instead of learning how to fucking sing!

Dude, you can't say stuff like that.  It's cyber bullying.  Honestly.  "Fucking atrocious," "torture prisoners," "pieces of vomit," etc.  If you don't like it, just say that politely.  Don't dump on the guy with a hurtful tone.  We can discuss the clips more respectfully without being nasty.   ;)

It's not cyber bullying, it's a bit of a dick way to get your point across but not bullying. It's not like he is picking on him over and over for no good reason and if he were to do that the mods would step in.  
Maybe its being a dick? I thinks its brutal honesty. I'll let others form their own opinion on that. I won't back down from what I said, because its all true. I don't bully anyone. I gave him harsh criticism because its warranted. The kid is on another planet. He will thank anyone who will give him praise and ignore the others. Nicky should listen to my vocals and rip me apart if he wants? I know I am not a virtuoso singer, but I at least can feel like I am an actual singer and not someone who is off key and tone def who has a messegeboard. "The official website of vocalist Nicky Spanjaards" Delusional.
C'mon...get real.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
This is epic :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2010, 11:08:28 AM »
I looked at his thread in the JLB forum, and one guy criticized constructively and the follow up poster said, oh don't be mean it was good and I think you improved nicky!

Nicky then completely ignored the criticism post (which was really sound advice) and commented on the guy giving him praise saying something along the lines of "Thanks I think I sound good and improved to".  

I don't find this surprising at all. What's the reason he posted his stuff on this forum? He wanted to be praised. That's why he built up the web page, doing "requests" etc. etc. He wants to be the "big thing" and wants to hear it from people that he's on the way to be that.
So, that didn't work out because he gets a lot of flak on this forum for his poor singing, and then he just goes the path of least resistance to still get what he wants (being praised), by posting his stuff on the JLB forum where people are too polite to be honest.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »
Maybe Nicky would be better in a different style of music, like punk or something.  Prog metal requires a lot of precision.  He definitely has the passion, energy and vocal power, but it his current tone and precision don't seem to fit the genre too well in my opinion.  Maybe a different style of music would better suit his voice.  In certain spots, his sound reminds me a bit of Chuck Moseley, the vocalist of early Faith No More. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
Maybe Nicky would be better in a different style of music, like punk or something.  Prog metal requires a lot of precision.  He definitely has the passion, energy and vocal power, but it his current tone and precision don't seem to fit the genre too well in my opinion.  Maybe a different style of music would better suit his voice.  In certain spots, his sound reminds me a bit of Chuck Moseley, the vocalist of early Faith No More. 
A serial killer can have"passion, energy and vocal power", but that doesn't mean they can sing? :)

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #251 on: October 21, 2010, 11:23:08 AM »
I have tons of respect for tick for telling it how it is. :tup

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »
I love the cycle of this thread.

Nick - Hey guys, I'm a singer from holland, here are some vids of me singing DT. I'll take any requests you have!
Most posters - Nicky....that wasn't very good, here is some advice to help....
Nick - THANKS! I'll do all of those things.
Nick - Ok, it's been 2 minutes, I improved, here's more vids!
Most posters -Nicky, that's terrible. You aren't listening to the criticism
Some posters - Nicky, you have great passion and I think I might have noticed a little bit of improvment
Nick - Thanks! I think I improved too! Here's more vids
Most posters - Nick...terrible....stop...get better first
Some posters - Stop being mean to him you douches!
Nick - Yea, I deserve respect.

It just keeps going and going and going.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:14:14 AM by SixDegrees »

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »

That's the code I was looking for!

:heart

Is that regular or cheddar flavor?
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2010, 11:40:53 AM »

It's a mix of both!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2010, 12:00:47 PM »

Cheddar certainly be appropriate for this thread.

Offline Adami

« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2010, 12:01:34 PM »
Why the hell is this thread still in the DT section?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
Why does Nicky try using an auto-tune device for his recordings?  I don't know too much about them, but sometimes they sound cool.  Of course, that doesn't correct the fundamental problems he's having, but it could improve the finished recordings.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2010, 12:04:37 PM »
Why does Nicky try using an auto-tune device for his recordings?  I don't know too much about them, but sometimes they sound cool.  Of course, that doesn't correct the fundamental problems he's having, but it could improve the finished recordings.

He doesn't need to cheat himself any further

Offline Adami

« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »

Because these aren't products, they're showcases. If you use autotune on something to show case your voice, then what the hell are you show casing?

I mean, if he's recording an album and uses some autotune, fine...most singers do that. But he's just trying to show us what a great singer he is. Auotune would make him sound better, but it wouldn't actually make him better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »

There's a difference in slight touch-up with autotune and completely abusing it.

I would bet money that James LaBrie has probably used autotune at some point in time.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »
Why the hell is this thread still in the DT section?

Because outside of the drummer situation, this is the most exciting thing occurring in the DT universe at this time.

Offline Adami

« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2010, 12:17:52 PM »

s. i

There's a difference in slight touch-up with autotune and completely abusing it.

I would bet money that James LaBrie has probably used autotune at some point in time.

He said himself that he uses it in recording. It's fine to use as long as it doesn't make you sound WAY better than you are. Which it would with nicky.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #264 on: October 21, 2010, 12:35:56 PM »
It's a great tool when you have a great 20 second take that is marred by one slightly-off note. On Nicky's vocals it would sound like "I got a feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas.

rumborak

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #265 on: October 21, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »
:lol

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: October 21, 2010, 01:05:18 PM »

I know all about auto-tune man.  What I'm saying here is what Adami already touched on.  Nicky is trying to showcase his talent and get criticism on it.  Auto tune would just make him sound better than he is and he'd never get better.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: October 21, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »
Why does Nicky try using an auto-tune device for his recordings?  I don't know too much about them, but sometimes they sound cool.  Of course, that doesn't correct the fundamental problems he's having, but it could improve the finished recordings.

I know all about auto-tune man.  What I'm saying here is what Adami already touched on.  Nicky is trying to showcase his talent and get criticism on it.  Auto tune would just make him sound better than he is and he'd never get better.
Getting better is not his goal. I'm sure Nicky has ordered himself an autotune in the past couple hours. My guess is he will buy one, use it in his next video then post it to ask if he's getting better.

He'll be all like....

"hey guys, gettin better eh? Want to join my messegeboard?"

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #268 on: October 21, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »
Tick lives for this thread now :biggrin:

I would suggest just detaching from this. This has gotten awfully personal for you :lol

Just let it go. I'm admiring and giggling from a distance. It is what it is and no insult or temper tantrum will change anything, sadly.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #269 on: October 21, 2010, 02:05:46 PM »
Tick is my hero in this thread.  I found the videos difficult to listen to, but not having any training as a singer I didn't feel qualified to comment on them.

Nicky - do you want to shut everyone here up?  Compete in and win the DTF karaoke and show us up: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17627.0

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »

I would suggest just detaching from this. This has gotten awfully personal for you :lol

Just let it go. I'm admiring and giggling from a distance. It is what it is and no insult or temper tantrum will change anything, sadly.
I know. Its like watching a car wreck. Its hard to walk away from the scene. :biggrin:

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »
Tick is my hero in this thread.  I found the videos difficult to listen to, but not having any training as a singer I didn't feel qualified to comment on them.

Nicky - do you want to shut everyone here up?  Compete in and win the DTF karaoke and show us up: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17627.0

Now why would you go and do that?! :lol

I know. Its like watching a car wreck. Its hard to walk away from the scene. :biggrin:

I suppose...
I just hope it's not as long as A Nightmare to Remember :P

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
Well, I gotta say if Nicky released a DT cover CD I would probably buy it at this point, lol.  For better or for worse, I find myself entertained and captivated by him.  I still find Nicky very endearing and likeable, despite his other short-comings.

I'm wondering what DT song, if any, he could best handle at this stage?  Some of this choices so far have been difficult ones.  Maybe a simpler one like "Wait for Sleep" or "Space-Dye Vest"?  Idk.  

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
I'm in the same boat. How can you not love him? He's such a goof. In 20 years, people will look back on him more fondly. He will be a legend in the DT community :lol

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2010, 02:23:32 PM »
Why does Nicky try using an auto-tune device for his recordings?  I don't know too much about them, but sometimes they sound cool.  Of course, that doesn't correct the fundamental problems he's having, but it could improve the finished recordings.

I know all about auto-tune man.  What I'm saying here is what Adami already touched on.  Nicky is trying to showcase his talent and get criticism on it.  Auto tune would just make him sound better than he is and he'd never get better.
Getting better is not his goal. I'm sure Nicky has ordered himself an autotune in the past couple hours. My guess is he will buy one, use it in his next video then post it to ask if he's getting better.

He'll be all like....

"hey guys, gettin better eh? Want to join my messegeboard?"

hmm good point.  That's sad.  I really do hope he snaps out of it, takes all the great advice that has been given to him, and goes and works his ass off to become better.   :-\

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
Nicky,

I'm just going to be straight with you here.  You need to practice like everyone has said, the basics.  I think you have actually performed worse on your Pull Me Under Cover, than you did on some of your previous ones.  You need to stop trying to sing Dream Theater, and try to sing something simpler.

When I was starting out on guitar, I didn't go straight for Dream Theater or Metallica solos.  I learned how to play nirvana solos.  Importantly, I practiced them over and over in order to get them right.  Once I was mastering that, I moved on.  Now I can play the UAGM solo pretty well.  And that is the course of 8 years of practice.  

You really need to start from the beginning if you want to get better.  Let me emphasize, you NEED to start from the beginning.  Get a new vocal coach ASAP.  Sing simpler and easier stuff and slowly expand your singing.  You can't go from noob to JLB and Bruce Dickinson in a couple weeks.  Sorry, it just won't happen and you just don't have the innate talent to do it.  But that's OK!  You just need to make up for it with hard work so you can make some progress.  I'm not saying hard work will make you extremely good.  It's not easy to be JLB vocally, that's why he's in a big respected band and highly regarded and most of us aren't.  If everyone was that good, then no one would care about talent, there would be nothing special about it.

So you really need to go back and work your way up from the bottom.  Stop posting DT covers for people to hear, because man they are really bad.  You are all over the place in pitch and tone.  

Don't cheat yourself man.  Do it right.  
This

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2010, 04:42:50 PM »
Okay, I'm sorry I'm gonna be slightly harsh, but this is getting ridiculous...I don't see why people still defend Nicky when the majority of the people who post here basically talk about suggestions to improve his singing/why he shouldn't upload anymore videos/the way he ignores all the suggestions he gets. And yet, Nicky keeps uploading those.
Now, I could careless if it was a minor thread and only in this forum, but he also posted it in JLB's forum (where people barely criticize him because of over-politeness), and hell, he made a forum for himself, which only he posts at, imitating the writing style of James' posts.

But seriously, there are 3 things that really make me roll on the floor:
1. Nicky, seriously, just because James does a certain move when performing doesn't mean you need to do that too. We understand you appreciate him, imitating him both in your "presence" and in your singing style wouldn't work well, especially if you can't get it done properly.
2. The website part 1 - dammit, that website makes me laugh. Already mentioned the writing style of James in the forums, but look at the lyrics he wrote - it's like it was taken off certain DT/JLB songs. Seize the Day - "I never saw it coming", "A heart is bleeding bad", "Remember seize the day Looking back to the moments We spent together"...didn't bother to look on the other ones.
3. That one really made me laugh...the whole vocal rupture section or the girlfriend section in the "biography". First, biographies should be written by another person, after you're known widely, I can't help betting you wrote it yourself so the whole "(so he says)" etc parts make me laugh. Also, if you REALLY had a vocal rupture, your girlfriend's love can't recover it, maybe it can happen in a bad movie. Either way, the whole vocal rupture paragraph looks like a JLB copy-paste with some name modifications.

By the way, this post -
I love the cycle of this thread.

Nick - Hey guys, I'm a singer from holland, here are some vids of me singing DT. I'll take any requests you have!
Most posters - Nicky....that wasn't very good, here is some advice to help....
Nick - THANKS! I'll do all of those things.
Nick - Ok, it's been 2 minutes, I improved, here's more vids!
Most posters -Nicky, that's terrible. You aren't listening to the criticism
Some posters - Nicky, you have great passion and I think I might have noticed a little bit of improvement
Nick - Thanks! I think I improved too! Here's more vids
Most posters - Nick...terrible....stop...get better first
Some posters - Stop being mean to him you douches!
Nick - Yea, I deserve respect.

It just keeps going and going and going.
really sums it up to me. So my opinion is, either listen to the suggestions you get and quit uploading videos for a year in which you'll train A LOT, or tone down your work overall. A website like that telling about you before you actually released anything close to a good song, telling about you and a few unknown bands is really not something to be taken seriously, especially with so many references to your idol. Also, when people give you tips, use them, don't just say "yes I'll do that", upload a video after a day and redo all your mistakes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »
I can't help betting you wrote it yourself so the whole "(so he says)" etc parts make me laugh.

Of course he wrote that himself. Who else could have? The flock of fans on his forum?

The thing I absolutely don't understand about this thing is, I mean we've all been there at some point. Getting a bit too excited about some new endeavor we entered, and wanting to share our achievement with the world.
Here's the rub: After the first few days of the responses in this thread, I would have looked at my website, my forum, my videos and would have thought: "Holy f***ing shit, I look like a moron, I better erase all of this and regroup behind the enemy lines."
Not so here. This thread has been going for a month (!!!) and Nicky hasn't even bothered taking down the Bad Burrito picture.
That's what I don't get. I don't think he's mentally ill or whatever, but something doesn't click in him that clicks in most people.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »
That's because the people who support him are right. And the people who don't support him are wrong and mean.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2010, 05:24:12 PM »
I can't help betting you wrote it yourself so the whole "(so he says)" etc parts make me laugh.

Of course he wrote that himself. Who else could have? The flock of fans on his forum?

The thing I absolutely don't understand about this thing is, I mean we've all been there at some point. Getting a bit too excited about some new endeavor we entered, and wanting to share our achievement with the world.
Here's the rub: After the first few days of the responses in this thread, I would have looked at my website, my forum, my videos and would have thought: "Holy f***ing shit, I look like a moron, I better erase all of this and regroup behind the enemy lines."
Not so here. This thread has been going for a month (!!!) and Nicky hasn't even bothered taking down the Bad Burrito picture.
That's what I don't get. I don't think he's mentally ill or whatever, but something doesn't click in him that clicks in most people.

rumborak

He can't do nothin to the Bad Burrito photo, its in my photobucket! :lol