Author Topic: DTF Donations Contest: Win prizes and donate to keep the lights on here  (Read 15895 times)

Online NoFred

Re: DTF Donations Contest: Win prizes and donate to keep the lights on here
« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2024, 07:23:17 PM »
I'll definitely think twice about asking whether people want to keep the site going the next time the account starts to run low.

I sure wouldn't have an issue with an annual or as needed donation drive. I don't think anyone, on either side of this issue would disagree.

Agreed.

Also, thanks to Bosk, the forum is online and that’s priority.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2024, 07:25:04 PM »
Maybe a stupid question for my getting old ass, but can you use cashapp to donate through paypal? I have money on my cashapp not aimed for anywhere, and I would donate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: February 22, 2024, 09:29:12 PM »
Here's a novel idea - how about those of you who DON'T CARE about the contest anymore follow your own advice and stop posting in this thread?
I know certain people here can't help but police everything said that they disagree with. The funny thing is, this thread was already halfway down the page before wolfking bumped it to criticize something he didn't like. With friends like that...!

How about this...

Consider that some people who submitted to the contest do actually care about the results. Also, consider that it is OK to care about the results, and actually when Bosk1 provided his update last year, he recommitted to eventually delivering them. We all understand that Bosk1 is a grownup, he can occasionally be prompted by his users for updates, and those who don't care anymore can just... not care!

As for me - I own almost every single DT item I'd want to own, and could easily purchase anything I don't currently have. "Winning" something would be nice, but I don't need it. Getting green stars would be nice, but I don't need that either. Learning the contest has come to a close, how long the site is funded for in the future, how much we raised, etc., all that's a lot more interesting to me, personally. Sure, yes, I can tell that the "lights" are still "on" because we're still here 15 months since the contest started. But did we pay the utility bill, or did we just run an electric cable out our back window to our neighbor's outlet? LOL

I did? Lol.  Must have missed that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2024, 09:32:47 PM »
I'll definitely think twice about asking whether people want to keep the site going the next time the account starts to run low.

I sure wouldn't have an issue with an annual or as needed donation drive. I don't think anyone, on either side of this issue would disagree.

This.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2024, 09:40:09 PM »
New “rule” to ask questions on this thread, make sure you don’t own a website and post links to said website in the forum.  ::)

That's not the point.

Here's a novel idea - how about those of you who DON'T CARE about the contest anymore follow your own advice and stop posting in this thread?

That's good advice and I will take you up on it. The rest of you guys can keep on whining.

No, it's not the point.  But I'll take Skeevers advice too and vacate out of here.

Bosk, don't feel like you can't run another drive, I'll always donate man.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2024, 11:15:40 PM »

A lot of this makes me wonder if the band is to blame here.  Maybe the band never supplied the goods and bosk is taking one for the team. I could be wrong of course, just stating a thought. I dont think I need to state my opinion again and again here though.

Dude, what the heck?  Why would you even think/say that?  That has nothing to do with any of this.  But thanks to rumors like this, I now have members PMing me asking if they can donate stuff to give as prizes.  Seriously, think before you post this kind of stuff.  Now there are rumors out there that are completely unfounded thanks to posts like this.

Thank you for updating us.

But I think that post is unfair. Cram was only trying to have your back.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2024, 11:20:20 PM »
I hate to use a "both sides" argument but as I've said before, I think one side is a little too caught up in this giveaway in which they weren't even guaranteed anything, just the possibility of getting something, and the other side seems obsess over the idea that those people are somehow doing something wrong and we need to be protected from ourselves by having the thread locked or at least condemning those that are caught up in the lack of prizes. Wow, that was a long sentence.

As someone that donated thinking I have probably a 50/50 chance of getting something, eh...bummer. I literally don't think of it until the thread pops up. But to see the visceral reaction to anybody wanting an explanation is...a bit much.

Edit:just saw bosk respond. Good deal, man. Best of luck with whatever personal stuff you got going on.

I think the vast majority of us couldn't care less whether we get a prize or not. I certainly couldn't. But as I've said, and people's mileage obviously varies on this, if you say prizes are up for grabs, there should be prizes up for grabs. Either present the prizes or say there's been a change of plan. It's that simple. bosk1 has chosen, twice now, to say there will still be prizes so the expectation remains.

The discussion should effectively be over but people continue to agitate it by accusing others of "whining". It's all rather silly and should be beneath the vast majority of us.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2024, 01:04:08 AM »
Thanks for the update Bosk! Without knowing the specifics of your personal problems I can relate to falling behind on things when you have other issues taking up time and energy. It's even quite clear in your post when you say "I posted a few weeks back" when actually it was 6 months ago. I don't mean that as a jab or a negative thing, because I think we can all relate to having rough patches in life and it feels like time is going really slow for yourself dealing with problems but in reality time just flies by. I do hope you'll work things out and that life improves.

And like others have said there's 2 sides to any coin and I think the argument between the 2 sides got a bit too heated at times. I don't think it's fair to say people were whining for wanting some update/resolution after 6 months since the last update. But it's also fair for close friends to defend someone they care about and say "let it be". I do think perhaps that some people felt neglected seeing Bosk active in other threads on the forum (so not AWOL completely) but just not posting here and that probably stirred some emotions, but I can also relate to the Bosk perspective that if you don't have the energy then it might feel overwhelming coming in here to basically say "Sorry I don't have an update yet but I'm working on it".

Just on an end note I have thought about donating myself and would be open to do it in the future but as someone else pointed out (I think) the donation link seems broken at the moment. I don't mind donating without a reward but I will say that a small thing like getting the green stars is a cool little thing that (for me at least) makes it even more rewarding, aside from helping the forum stay afloat ofc. :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2024, 05:22:22 AM »
I hate to use a "both sides" argument but as I've said before, I think one side is a little too caught up in this giveaway in which they weren't even guaranteed anything, just the possibility of getting something, and the other side seems obsess over the idea that those people are somehow doing something wrong and we need to be protected from ourselves by having the thread locked or at least condemning those that are caught up in the lack of prizes. Wow, that was a long sentence.

As someone that donated thinking I have probably a 50/50 chance of getting something, eh...bummer. I literally don't think of it until the thread pops up. But to see the visceral reaction to anybody wanting an explanation is...a bit much.

Edit:just saw bosk respond. Good deal, man. Best of luck with whatever personal stuff you got going on.

I think the vast majority of us couldn't care less whether we get a prize or not. I certainly couldn't. But as I've said, and people's mileage obviously varies on this, if you say prizes are up for grabs, there should be prizes up for grabs. Either present the prizes or say there's been a change of plan. It's that simple. bosk1 has chosen, twice now, to say there will still be prizes so the expectation remains.

The discussion should effectively be over but people continue to agitate it by accusing others of "whining". It's all rather silly and should be beneath the vast majority of us.

Yeah. It did come across as people whining about people supposedly "whining." Very interesting dynamic.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2024, 12:31:31 PM »

A lot of this makes me wonder if the band is to blame here.  Maybe the band never supplied the goods and bosk is taking one for the team. I could be wrong of course, just stating a thought. I dont think I need to state my opinion again and again here though.

Dude, what the heck?  Why would you even think/say that?  That has nothing to do with any of this.  But thanks to rumors like this, I now have members PMing me asking if they can donate stuff to give as prizes.  Seriously, think before you post this kind of stuff.  Now there are rumors out there that are completely unfounded thanks to posts like this.

Thank you for updating us.

But I think that post is unfair. Cram was only trying to have your back.

Literally said he might be taking one for the team (showing I was on bosk's side here), but to be honest

You, Bosk, did not say anything so what do you expect? I've defended you here, but if you are mad because you are getting PMs about this, that's not on me. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2024, 12:52:30 PM »
Marc did/said nothing wrong.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2024, 01:21:46 PM »
Marc did/said nothing wrong.

Who the hell is marc?

Wait, wait, wait....Cram? Marc?

So are we just calling people by their real names now? That'll get confusing.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #257 on: February 23, 2024, 01:24:54 PM »
i think some tricksters are just saying his name backwards to be silly
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2024, 01:33:40 PM »

:lol that was what my 12 year old mind thought was cool for a screen name for AIM.  My name is marc and I used cram because its my name backwards.  X's were cool to have in your screen name and 3 has always been my favorite number, and for some reason, I just haven't let the screen name go.

Also to add,

just would like to apologize, never meant to make anyone upset or cause more commotion than already was happening.

I was always cool with my donation simply being a donation to my favorite corner of the web.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2024, 01:36:15 PM »

:lol that was what my 12 year old mind thought was cool for a screen name for AIM.  My name is marc and I used cram because its my name backwards.

My real name is not Cat! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2024, 01:39:06 PM »

:lol that was what my 12 year old mind thought was cool for a screen name for AIM.  My name is marc and I used cram because its my name backwards.

It should be as a punishment for your dislike towards them

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2024, 01:41:49 PM »

It should be as a punishment for your dislike towards them

Since my initials are TC, when I was a kid a common nickname that I had was Top Cat. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2024, 01:42:26 PM »
my birth name is actually Gnirevoh Nruojos
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2024, 01:50:42 PM »
Tsuj tnaw ot knaht 1ksoB rof eht etadpu. I desnes etiuq a tib fo ssenifnesseved dna noitarutsurf ni sih tsop, sa llew sa a elttil tib fo dedicerpsim ytienoyna taht I esnes smets morf gniehwolemed ni sih lasretnal efil. Yrros ot evah detnirbuted ot gnieb rehtona .ecnicnona I thguohT nehw I wasw ohsoB 1k rof tegdab roev morf active, taht sgniht were srebhepp retteb rof mih seday, tub yltanerppa siht si llits a eros topos dna ew dluohs tsuj yal fo dna tel 1ksoB rof od sih gniht.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2024, 02:43:28 PM »
That 👆🏼

Thank you bosk1 for providing the update some of us were asking for. I hope all works better for you and the personal issues you are facing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: February 23, 2024, 03:38:44 PM »
Tsuj tnaw ot knaht 1ksoB rof eht etadpu. I desnes etiuq a tib fo ssenifnesseved dna noitarutsurf ni sih tsop, sa llew sa a elttil tib fo dedicerpsim ytienoyna taht I esnes smets morf gniehwolemed ni sih lasretnal efil. Yrros ot evah detnirbuted ot gnieb rehtona .ecnicnona I thguohT nehw I wasw ohsoB 1k rof tegdab roev morf active, taht sgniht were srebhepp retteb rof mih seday, tub yltanerppa siht si llits a eros topos dna ew dluohs tsuj yal fo dna tel 1ksoB rof od sih gniht.
Don't know what game me more of a headache, trying to read that or noticing the mistakes lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2024, 03:59:35 AM »
FOR ME, the only part of the thread title that mattered to me was "donate to keep the lights on".  My prize is the friendships that I've made here (and which I hope and pray will last long after this place closes down, if it ever closes down).

Consider me in Tims camp.

I learn so much of my favorite obsession in here and am grateful to many mods & members. And since I don't know any of you except from here, I surely hope we'll keep the lights on forever.

Bosk1 I've send a pm.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2024, 06:48:01 AM »
i hope the lights stay on forever too

forever and ever

Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2024, 10:43:42 AM »
Just commenting to say that I’d love to donate a few bucks, but as some have mentioned, the link is broken still. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. ✌🏼
Was able to donate by just searching dreamtheaterforums@yahoo.com in PayPal, as bosk said pages and pages ago.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2024, 09:06:29 AM »
Don't know what game me more of a headache, trying to read that or noticing the mistakes lol

HAHA. +1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2024, 12:20:58 AM »
It's even quite clear in your post when you say "I posted a few weeks back" when actually it was 6 months ago. I don't mean that as a jab or a negative thing, because I think we can all relate to having rough patches in life and it feels like time is going really slow for yourself dealing with problems but in reality time just flies by. I do hope you'll work things out and that life improves.

Thanks for that.  And, yeah, it was farther back than I thought.  But it was October 17th (I really thought it was later), so not 6 months ago either.  But, yeah.

And I got the PMs and will respond to those.  Just got back from a trip literally just a few minutes ago, so I'm going to bed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2024, 05:41:00 AM »
It's even quite clear in your post when you say "I posted a few weeks back" when actually it was 6 months ago. I don't mean that as a jab or a negative thing, because I think we can all relate to having rough patches in life and it feels like time is going really slow for yourself dealing with problems but in reality time just flies by. I do hope you'll work things out and that life improves.

Thanks for that.  And, yeah, it was farther back than I thought.  But it was October 17th (I really thought it was later), so not 6 months ago either.  But, yeah.

And I got the PMs and will respond to those.  Just got back from a trip literally just a few minutes ago, so I'm going to bed.

I really and truly want to move past this but unless I'm missing something, August 13th is when you re-opened the thread, apologized and gave assurances that this was still going to happen. And that is 6 months.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 05:58:28 AM by emtee »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2024, 10:17:07 PM »

I really and truly want to move past this but unless I'm missing something, August 13th is when you re-opened the thread, apologized and gave assurances that this was still going to happen. And that is 6 months.

Enough! What's your point? You know you don't always need to point out you're right. I'm locking this thread. If you have questions or comments  PM Bosk as he suggested.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #273 on: February 29, 2024, 09:54:23 AM »

Yes, but:

Just want to take a moment to let you guys know I am working on this and should have results fairly soon.  Really sorry this took so long.  Again, that was unacceptable, and I'm really sorry.  Update coming...

October 17th.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."