Author Topic: Colbert, Stewart plan rallies on National Mall  (Read 2154 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Colbert, Stewart plan rallies on National Mall
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:32:59 AM »
https://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39231643/ns/today-entertainment/

Stewart, host of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show," is promoting a "Rally to Restore Sanity" on Oct. 30 for people too busy with their normal lives to go to other political rallies.

Nearby, Colbert is promoting a "March to Keep Fear Alive." The host of Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report" is encouraging participants to bring an overnight bag and five extra sets of underwear.

Wish I could go.  Should be glorious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soundgarden

Re: Colbert, Stewart plan rallies on National Mall
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:47:54 AM »
Why on a Thursday!?  Man, i would have love to go.

This is gonna be great.   Stewart/Colbert 2012 !  (not really, but its funny :P)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
America, the Greatest Country God ever gave Man, was built on three bedrock principles: Freedom. Liberty. And Fear -- that someone might take our Freedom and Liberty. But now, there are dark, optimistic forces trying to take away our Fear -- forces with salt and pepper hair and way more Emmys than they need. They want to replace our Fear with reason. But never forget -- "Reason" is just one letter away from "Treason." Coincidence? Reasonable people would say it is, but America can't afford to take that chance.

So join The Rev. Sir Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A. on October 30th for the "March to Keep Fear Alive"™ in Washington DC. Pack an overnight bag with five extra sets of underwear -- you're going to need them. Because, to Restore Truthiness we must always... Shh!!! What's that sound?! I think there's someone behind you! Run!

Who among us has not wanted to open their window and shout that at the top of their lungs?

Seriously, who?

Because we're looking for those people. We're looking for the people who think shouting is annoying, counterproductive, and terrible for your throat; who feel that the loudest voices shouldn't be the only ones that get heard; and who believe that the only time it's appropriate to draw a Hitler mustache on someone is when that person is actually Hitler. Or Charlie Chaplin in certain roles.

Are you one of those people? Excellent. Then we'd like you to join us in Washington, DC on October 30 -- a date of no significance whatsoever -- at the Daily Show's "Rally to Restore Sanity." Ours is a rally for the people who've been too busy to go to rallies, who actually have lives and families and jobs (or are looking for jobs) -- not so much the Silent Majority as the Busy Majority. If we had to sum up the political view of our participants in a single sentence... we couldn't. That's sort of the point.

Think of our event as Woodstock, but with the nudity and drugs replaced by respectful disagreement; the Million Man March, only a lot smaller, and a bit less of a sausage fest; or the Gathering of the Juggalos, but instead of throwing our feces at Tila Tequila, we'll be actively *not* throwing our feces at Tila Tequila. Join us in the shadow of the Washington Monument. And bring your indoor voice. Or don't. If you'd rather stay home, go to work, or drive your kids to soccer practice... Actually, please come anyway. Ask the sitter if she can stay a few extra hours, just this once. We'll make it worth your while.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
This is too funny.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 11:25:03 AM »

This is gonna be great.   Stewart/Colbert 2012 !  (not really, but its funny :P)

Maybe in your household you still use the Julian calender system, and that is fine. To each their own, but that might explain why no one shows up to your annual March 15th New Years Eve party (just sayin'). But in the United States we now use the Gregorian calender, and October 30th of this year (2010) falls on a Saturday! So unless Brother Hiram has you working that day on the compound, you can go!!! Yay!!!  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 12:16:40 PM »

Maybe in your household you still use the Julian calender system, and that is fine. To each their own, but that might explain why no one shows up to your annual March 15th New Years Eve party (just sayin'). But in the United States we now use the Gregorian calender, and October 30th of this year (2010) falls on a Saturday! So unless Brother Hiram has you working that day on the compound, you can go!!! Yay!!!  :biggrin:

Oh shit,  i was looking at the Sept calendar.

I AM SO THERE!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
If i can get people to go with me I'm going. It's gonna be a hell of an event :D

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »
I'm gonna lol so hard if this gets more people than beck's rally.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »

We should totally do a Civil War reenactment minus the acting

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 04:34:18 AM »
I really hope it does. 

I wonder if Fox Lies will cover this?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 01:39:05 PM »
I really hope it does. 

Only if something happens at the rally that they can twist into being a negative. Or, they might get "creative" and do a "breitbart" with some of the video and make it look like something negative happened.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »
I would love to be there for this, a bit far to travel though...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »
I'd love to go to this, but with school and finances being what they are I doubt I'll be able to make it. :(

I can say confidently that the number of Daily Show and Colbert Report episodes I've missed in the last 10 years can probably be counted on one hand.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »
i am going to this rally, not sure which one, i think i'm all for fear.  :yarr
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 10:25:53 PM »

Well their story announcing the rallies is pretty great:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/17/permit-dispute-arises-stewart-colbert-rallies/?test=latestnews

Why be positive?