Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 251442 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #1050 on: April 24, 2011, 04:58:56 PM »
What the crap is LU, NU, OU?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1051 on: April 24, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
What the crap is LU, NU, OU?
Basically, it's nerd-speak.

Derived from Smogon, I believe, which is a website dedicated to competitive battling. Like, as anorakky as you can get. Full of weird strategies and calculations and optimisation. And they tier the pokemon depending on what's most useful.

Overused, OU, are the ones with the most applications. UU tend to be less strong, but still good at what they do. Underused. NU are considered useless competitively, which is why they're referred to as "Never used."

Thing is, the pokemon they consider useful are vastly different to the pokemon an average battler would consider useful. They're playing in a world where fire/flying pokemon are untenable because everyone uses Stealth Rock. Where nobody would use a Hypno when they could be using an Uxie. Where a point of speed makes all the difference.

It's very clever, and very effective, and they're far better at pokemon than I'll ever be, but it's incredibly insular. I'll refer to them for intelligent strategies and to give me a couple of ideas, but I'm never going to use Stealth Rock because not only do I not need to, but nor do most people who aren't playing against other Stealth Rock users.

Smogon's good as a guideline, but a little mad. Persian was considered OU in the first generation, and ranked above Dragonite. Look at the reasoning and it makes some sense, but it's a very strange shifting scale.

Not to mention, I find it a little too clinical. Rather, a lot too clinical. I'd rather pants it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1052 on: April 24, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
I'm a straight up OHKO man myself. I rarely bother with moves that aren't offensive.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: April 24, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »
I like smogon/pokemon online competitive battling, but for me its just a balance of playing the super competitive OU stuff and UU stuff, which is more varied and can be more fun.  You can use more of your favorites and they won't be instantly KO'd by a Garchomp or something.  Plus, it gives you a bit of a creative box.  You can't just say "Okay, I need one more spot for a good defensive support pokemon.  In you go, Blissey/Skarmory/Celebi/Jellicent!"  You've got to do a bit of searching and consider pokemon you wouldn't think of.  Makes you appreciate the little guys a bit more.

Though I do like your strategy in-game, Orcus. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1054 on: April 24, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
That's mainly where I use it. I can't be bothered to try playing against other people.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1055 on: April 24, 2011, 06:19:44 PM »
I beat White a month or so ago, and ever since getting most of my Pokemon up to level 60 I haven't played since. Soccer and school get in the way, but since it's spring break this week I'll probably try and beat the Elite Four's second round and see what else I can do.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #1056 on: April 24, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »
As Persian should be.  :heart

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1057 on: April 24, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Metagross is found in one area. It has a 5% chance of appearing in RUSTLING GRASS.

After a half hour I finally get one to appear and knock it out due to a fucking critical hit. RAGE.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1058 on: April 24, 2011, 09:15:56 PM »
Or you could just find a Metang in the Giant Chasm forest.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1059 on: April 24, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
Holy fuck, I completely missed that...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1060 on: April 24, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to explore breeding. I figure if I make a Beldum and raise it from lv. 1 it will be one of the most badass non-legendary pokemon I could have.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: April 24, 2011, 10:11:56 PM »
It probably will be.  Metagross is pretty awesome. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1062 on: April 25, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »
Before closing up shop for the night I managed to get my first created egg, and tomorrow will work on going the ridiculous amount of steps needed to hatch it.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #1063 on: April 25, 2011, 04:39:09 AM »
Before closing up shop for the night I managed to get my first created egg, and tomorrow will work on going the ridiculous amount of steps needed to hatch it.

If you have a Pokemon with the Flame Body ability in your party, eggs take half as long to hatch.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1064 on: April 25, 2011, 07:42:05 AM »
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to explore breeding. I figure if I make a Beldum and raise it from lv. 1 it will be one of the most badass non-legendary pokemon I could have.

Make sure it has a good nature. If you're one for IV's that'll take longer. I hatched about 25 Beldum eggs before I got the one I wanted.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: April 25, 2011, 08:07:31 AM »
Yeah an Adamant or Jolly nature will help out Metagross a lot.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #1066 on: April 25, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »
I like smogon/pokemon online competitive battling, but for me its just a balance of playing the super competitive OU stuff and UU stuff, which is more varied and can be more fun.  You can use more of your favorites and they won't be instantly KO'd by a Garchomp or something.  Plus, it gives you a bit of a creative box.  You can't just say "Okay, I need one more spot for a good defensive support pokemon.  In you go, Blissey/Skarmory/Celebi/Jellicent!"  You've got to do a bit of searching and consider pokemon you wouldn't think of.  Makes you appreciate the little guys a bit more.

I don't think I can even commit to that kind've thing. Pokemon is too casual for me. I barely commit to catching all of them/most of them let alone competition stuff.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1067 on: April 25, 2011, 11:45:46 PM »
I'm kind of glad I don't play competitively just because of the breeding process. I just spent 3-4 hours trying to get Lapras to get the nature and ability I want to line up, I can't even imagine the time it takes to get perfect IVs and such.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1068 on: April 27, 2011, 05:42:59 AM »

I don't think I can even commit to that kind've thing. Pokemon is too casual for me. I barely commit to catching all of them/most of them let alone competition stuff.

Im the same.
I finish the game, collect some of the interesting ones.
Open some of the side adventures.
I've got the game stop 4 "relocated" on to Black at the 5th gym leader, I'll walk through the rest of the game...or....well run..with EXTREME SPEED!!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: April 27, 2011, 12:18:51 PM »
Orcus, I don't breed for perfect IVs either.  Usually I'll find a pokemon with either a good nature or a good IV (that little descriptor like "Likes to Thrash About" tells you that its highest IV is attack, probably a 30), give it an everstone (assuming female) and then breeding becomes a lot easier.  But there's little point in trying to get a pokemon with 3 31s or something.

Besides, if you want to play competitively but don't want to go through all the work you can use Pokemon Online (HINT HINT)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1070 on: May 05, 2011, 05:44:21 AM »
I have a TCG question..or a couple actually if anyone could field them I'd be appreciative.

When/can I use the pokebodies and pokepowers of previous evolutions?
When/can I use the attacks of previous evolutions?

If I have an attack  (I'm thinking Muk's sludge draw) that says the defending pokemon is returned to the opponents bench, and replaced with a benched pokemon. The new pokemon is now poisoned and confused.
If there is no benched pokemon....can I use it? (the obvious answer is no but I'm just clarifying)

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: May 05, 2011, 08:14:20 AM »
When/can I use the pokebodies and pokepowers of previous evolutions?
I don't remember if you can use them on other players' turns, but I do think you can use previous evolution's poke-powers.  I'd check the rulebook though, because I'm not quite sure.
When/can I use the attacks of previous evolutions?
You can't.
If I have an attack  (I'm thinking Muk's sludge draw) that says the defending pokemon is returned to the opponents bench, and replaced with a benched pokemon. The new pokemon is now poisoned and confused.
If there is no benched pokemon....can I use it? (the obvious answer is no but I'm just clarifying)
Pretty sure you can't.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1072 on: May 06, 2011, 04:45:07 AM »
Thanks.
I only asked about the previous attacks, and pokepowers because I think Level EX, and X's can.

And it's very difficult (given the amount of cards available) to find one all encompassing rule book.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1073 on: May 18, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
So, on the 21st we are supposedly going to have information on the next Pokemon game.

:caffeine:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: May 25, 2011, 08:03:41 AM »
Already?

Oh wait, guess it didn't happen.

Anyways, yesterday after hanging out with some friends at Know Your Meme, I decided to take on the Nuzlocke Challenge on LeafGreen (the Nuzlocke comics are pretty funny as well, as its where the challenge came from).  The following rules apply:

-If a pokemon faints, its assumed to be dead and you must release it (or put it in a "dead" box)
-The only pokemon you can catch is the first one you see in each area.  If it runs away or dies, you're out of luck

Three hours in and I've just beaten Brock.  Team right now is Rattata, Bulbasaur, and Butterfree.  It has made the game a bit more exciting, as you can't exactly "start over" now, and I've found myself covered in sweat each time Butterfree's been knocked down to 1 HP.  Praying for a Nidosomething or a Spearow before hitting Mt. Moon. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1075 on: May 31, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
So I hear Ferrothorn is an incredible pokemon if you give it Curse, Gyro Ball, Substitute, and Leech Seed.  And comboed with Garchomp to deal with fire types, it totally cleans house.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: May 31, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »
You've JUST heard that Ferrothorn is an awesome pokemon?  Dude, where have you BEEN? :lol  He's basically defined the OU metagame, which comes down to "kill their Ferrothorn and keep yours alive."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1077 on: May 31, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
Yep, I don't have B/W, and I was just chatting with a friend about the new pokemon.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: May 31, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »
Fix that.  Black and White are amazing.  Tied with Platinum for my favorite Pokemon games.

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #1079 on: June 01, 2011, 02:16:36 AM »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Metagross is found in one area. It has a 5% chance of appearing in RUSTLING GRASS.

After a half hour I finally get one to appear and knock it out due to a fucking critical hit. RAGE.

Man that line is the worst! In pearl there was finally a swarm so I went to get one.. and oh man.. it was a struggle.. literally. I false-swiped it until it had 1HP left.. and I must've thrown at least 50 Ultra Balls at it until it struggled itself dead. I restarted. This happened over 4 times. FINALLY I ended up catching one @_@ It was a nightmare.. I was thinking "What more can I even do!? It has ONE HP!! (and it was paralyzed)" Crazy!

Anyways I have white and I'm at the League.. but I need to grind some levels. :C My wifi isn't working too well right now so unfortunately I can't trade atm..

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1080 on: June 01, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »
In White, all of my pokemon are up to level 76. I don't really have anything left to do in the game other than catch any remaining pokemon. My team isn't very good, but I'm so far into the game that I don't even feel like trying to make a new one. I don't think I'm gonna start Black for awhile though. Amazon has HeartGold and SoulSilver for 30 (plus a deal for buy one get one half off) so I'm considering buying one.... I don't really have the money though...  :lol

And my White Forest is practically non-existent. :( WHY WON'T ANYONE DO ENTRALINK WITH ME

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1081 on: June 01, 2011, 02:23:49 PM »
I haven't played this in forever, I gotta get back to it and keep upping my guys for the 2nd league run.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1082 on: June 02, 2011, 06:31:05 AM »
Well, I just did an anime runthru of Yellow.  And I made sure to do everything almost perfectly.  Caught Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest, released Butterfree, battled Sabrina before Erika before Koga, caught Primeape to use in the fighting gym and released it....everything except for the 30 Tauros.  I also caught and released a Raticate for the pokedex data.

Hall of Fame:
Bulbasaur L43
Muk L44
Charizard L43
Kingler L41
Squirtle L42
Pikachu L43
Seen: 127
Own: 16

Lance's Dragonite and Gary's Alakazam, though....I had some real issues.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1083 on: June 04, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
Guys for serious, someone do entralink with me for like 5 seconds so I can have some pokemon to catch in White Forest.

Also I bought HeartGold and SoulSilver last night hooray

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: June 04, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »
Well, I just did an anime runthru of Yellow.  And I made sure to do everything almost perfectly.  Caught Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest, released Butterfree, battled Sabrina before Erika before Koga, caught Primeape to use in the fighting gym and released it....everything except for the 30 Tauros.  I also caught and released a Raticate for the pokedex data.

Hall of Fame:
Bulbasaur L43
Muk L44
Charizard L43
Kingler L41
Squirtle L42
Pikachu L43
Seen: 127
Own: 16

Lance's Dragonite and Gary's Alakazam, though....I had some real issues.

Those are pretty underleveled guys  :lol

But guys, we have a serious problem.  Apparently most people can't get their Dream World Eeveelutions.  I'm one of them.  I sent a support request to Nintendo and we'll see what happens.  So.  Much.  Rage.