Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250658 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #770 on: March 24, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
what does OU illegal mean?
most battles will knock us down to 50's anyhow 2 on 2 like the World Championships.

So Rina.
If you'd like we can arrange a time, for Volky's too.
Also.....if you missed all the game stop shineys......

;)

i can help there as well
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #771 on: March 24, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
most battles will knock us down to 50's anyhow 2 on 2 like the World Championships.

So Rina.
If you'd like we can arrange a time, for Volky's too.
Also.....if you missed all the game stop shineys......

;)

i can help there as well

Yay! My team is just gonna be: Chandelure, Cincinno, Liepard, Vaporeon, Persian, and Mantine.  (I'm a cat/music/water person)  :P

And yes. I missed every shiny/etc.

I wish I could get the Pokemon mentioned shiny, lol. (When's good for you? I get off work at midnight tonight)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #772 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
Ytse, do you think I could grab those shinys sometime as well? I have a flash cart but only one DS so it's kinda hard for me to trade them to mine.  :lol

Also, lucky egg is the greatest thing ever. That is all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: March 24, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »

Well, basing this on Smogon's tier system, Ubers is a tier of battling where all pokemon are legal, so naturally all the superpowerful legendaries are going to run rampant.  OU is a tier where the following pokemon are banned (they haven't made rulings on BW pokemon yet, but I'm assuming the box art pokes are banned):

Zekrom
Reshiram
Arceus
Darkrai
Giratina (both forms)
Dialga
Palkia
Shaymin-S
Manaphy
Wobbuffet
Wynaut (both banned in OU due to being annoying OP'd little bitches)
Rayquaza
Groudon
Kyogre
Latios
Latias
Deoxys (all forms, IIRC)
Ho-Oh
Lugia
Mewtwo
Mew
Garchomp (Banned from OU because it pretty much warped the metagame to an unfun state)
Salamence (Banned for essentially taking Garchomp's place, even though I don't think this one was entirely justified)

These are the pokemon who are OverUsed: https://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/ou

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #774 on: March 24, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
What is it that these Pokemon aren't allowed or legal for?  :huh:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #775 on: March 24, 2011, 01:42:48 PM »
Professional events.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #776 on: March 24, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »
What's wrong with Garchomp?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #777 on: March 24, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
He's pretty much a legendary that's not a legendary. I loved him in my Diamond.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #778 on: March 24, 2011, 02:09:38 PM »
I EV'd one in HeartGold and transferred it to White. He's a complete badass, and now that I think about it I can understand why he's banned  :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #779 on: March 24, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »
Ok, I think we'll do this one at a time obviously.
I'll take of Z first maybe because he'll be less complicated.

Where are you Rina..as in..are you eastern standard time..like same time as new york?

Midnight is tight for me, I'm an old man who gets up to work in the morning.
If you were on RIGHT at midnight I could do it. I'll trade you the legendaries for yours. Keep yours over night and trade them back to you the following night....

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #780 on: March 24, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »
Thanks Ytse!

I'll be home in about an hour... I can do it any time you are free after that, just let me know.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: March 24, 2011, 02:56:30 PM »
Professional events.

Actually, I think Nintendo events don't allow any legendaries, meaning Zapdos and the like are banned as well (don't quote me on that, though), that's just the standard ban list for using Shoddy Battle (a free online pokemon battle simulator.  Fun as hell, too!)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #782 on: March 24, 2011, 02:57:13 PM »
Not to worry. He comes back once you defeat the E4.
Do you have you kill off ITV as well?
The ITV2+1, but close enough.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #783 on: March 24, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
Professional events.

Actually, I think Nintendo events don't allow any legendaries, meaning Zapdos and the like are banned as well (don't quote me on that, though), that's just the standard ban list for using Shoddy Battle (a free online pokemon battle simulator.  Fun as hell, too!)

I'm pretty sure you're right. I never did any of the official Nintendo events though.... although I did win a tournament for the card game back in 01 or so.  :biggrin:

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #784 on: March 24, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
I'm getting to the point now where I'm starting to ponder my team for post-game and beyond. My plan is to exclusively use B/W pokemans to make an awesome team capable of Charlie Sheen-ing. At present this is what I have:

Galavantula lvl 36 (got one with awesome speed and sp. at. + agility + Electro Ball = dead)
Darmanitan lvl 35 (Sheer Force & Fire Punch)
Musharna lvl 34 (can one-hit basically anything with psybeam at this early stage of the game lol)
Servine lvl 34 (meh)
Boldore lvl 33 (potential, but kind of meh)

In an ideal world, what is the forum's suggestion as to the next steps? I'm pretty much set on 1, 2 and 3; the others are disposable lol. I haven't ever tried to make an epic team to battle people with, so any help would be appreciated :tup
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:50:25 PM by Riceball »
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #785 on: March 24, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
Ok, I think we'll do this one at a time obviously.
I'll take of Z first maybe because he'll be less complicated.

Where are you Rina..as in..are you eastern standard time..like same time as new york?

Midnight is tight for me, I'm an old man who gets up to work in the morning.
If you were on RIGHT at midnight I could do it. I'll trade you the legendaries for yours. Keep yours over night and trade them back to you the following night....

I can do it now actually, or in a few hours.  :D
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »
Riceball: Hm...its fairly balanced right now, but you're right, those last two members could be replaced with better ones.  Whimsicott could be a good replacement grass type.  It has an ability that gives non attack moves like leech seed priority, and can hit Seismitoad and Swampert with Grass Knot or Energy ball.  I'd say you also need a dedicated fighting type like Sawk or Throh, or Conkledurr if someone wants to trade with you, for breaking big special walls, and as an added counter to steel, rock, normal, and dark types.  Someone who can at least use an ice attack would be beneficial as well, especially when you have to go against the dragon gym.  Maybe a Jellicent with Scald and Ice Beam?  This way you have three special sweepers, two physical ones, and an annoyer.  Pretty good mix for an in-game team, I think.  

I also can't stress the greatness of Krookodile enough in the main game if you have a place for him.  He's bulky with great attack and moves.  Bulk Up/Rock Slide/Crunch/Earthquake is just so great.

How's Darmanitan working out for you?  He looked cool, but I really wanted to use a Chandelure.  Might use him if/when I buy White.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #787 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »
Scald is a pretty awesome move.  :metal

My team is mostly because of silly girlish reasons, not because they're particularly great.

Mantine = Manta Ray (my favorite animal) and water type (usually the only type I like/use because I am a scuba diver and I'm doin' it right)
Persian = It's a kitty. And therefore I must have it. Also, the Phantom of the Opera had a siamese cat.
Liepard = It's a kitty. And this is reminding me of those cat-photo-shops.  :lol
Vaporeon = Because it's freakishly awesome.   :metal
Cincinno = It has some cool music-moves, like echo voice (surprisingly useful) and it's a freaking cinchilla and you just can't turn that down.
Chandelure = It's a ghost (Opera Ghost - AHAHAHAH LIKE PHANTOM OLOLOLOL) and c'mon...chandliers + Phantom go hand in hand.

At least they all have something good about their stats that makes up for my girliness.

Offline Riceball

« Reply #788 on: March 24, 2011, 08:00:53 PM »
Riceball: Hm...its fairly balanced right now, but you're right, those last two members could be replaced with better ones.  Whimsicott could be a good replacement grass type.  It has an ability that gives non attack moves like leech seed priority, and can hit Seismitoad and Swampert with Grass Knot or Energy ball.  I'd say you also need a dedicated fighting type like Sawk or Throh, or Conkledurr if someone wants to trade with you, for breaking big special walls, and as an added counter to steel, rock, normal, and dark types.  Someone who can at least use an ice attack would be beneficial as well, especially when you have to go against the dragon gym.  Maybe a Jellicent with Scald and Ice Beam?  This way you have three special sweepers, two physical ones, and an annoyer.  Pretty good mix for an in-game team, I think.  

I also can't stress the greatness of Krookodile enough in the main game if you have a place for him.  He's bulky with great attack and moves.  Bulk Up/Rock Slide/Crunch/Earthquake is just so great.

How's Darmanitan working out for you?  He looked cool, but I really wanted to use a Chandelure.  Might use him if/when I buy White.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking about going for a Krookodile as a replacement for Boldore/Gigalith; you have convinced me sage.

Darmanitan is the sex. As long as he doesn't take too many hits in a battle (it normally doesn't because of its speed & attack stats, plus now with Sheer Power attacks do 30% more :biggrin:) I'm quite confident it could take out an entire team. I'm so glad it doesn't have Zen Mode that would really suck. My moveset atm is Work Up/Fire Punch/Flare Blitz/Hammer Arm.

So, in summary, the good and bad I've found so far:

Good
Fairly high speed stat relative to its weakness-types means it generally attacks first.
Ridiculous attack stat means it ploughs through everything, even water types (I took out Bianca's Oshathingo in one hit with a Fire Punch lol).
High HP means attacks like Flare Blitz don't cripple.
Belly Drum, which I mistakenly didn't learn, would make the above even more win.

Bad
Very fragile, if it takes 3+ hits its normally good night.
Its a bit one-dimensional, although the high attack stat makes up for this somewhat.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #789 on: March 24, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
I'm getting to the point now where I'm starting to ponder my team for post-game and beyond. My plan is to exclusively use B/W pokemans to make an awesome team capable of Charlie Sheen-ing. At present this is what I have:

Galavantula lvl 36 (got one with awesome speed and sp. at. + agility + Electro Ball = dead)
Darmanitan lvl 35 (Sheer Force & Fire Punch)
Musharna lvl 34 (can one-hit basically anything with psybeam at this early stage of the game lol)
Servine lvl 34 (meh)
Boldore lvl 33 (potential, but kind of meh)

In an ideal world, what is the forum's suggestion as to the next steps? I'm pretty much set on 1, 2 and 3; the others are disposable lol. I haven't ever tried to make an epic team to battle people with, so any help would be appreciated :tup
Would possibly recommend that, as cool as Electro Ball is, you drop it in favour of Thunder as soon as you can. Compoundeyes bolsters Thunder's accuracy to 90-something - very, very respectable - and it's reliable. The problem with Electro Ball, is while it's absolutely killer on a pokemon with a speed stat as high as Galvantula's, most of the more lethal threats will also be prioritising speed... so it's likely to let you down when you most desperately need a killer move.

Grand pokemon, though. Galvy, Darwin and Mush are all ace. Servine and Boldore I don't really know about, but when considering new additions, I know Fighting's meant to be a pretty crucial type this gen. Conkeldurr is supposedly about as lethal as they come - earthshatteringly strong - but Mienfoo / Mienshao are both stellar too if you can wait till they appear. Plus they look less, well, ridiculous.

Steel's a good type. I've got an Excadrill which is one of my MVPs, and ghostwise I've heard nowt but good things about Jellicent.

I dunno. There are loads of contenders. Some very nifty new fellas knocking about this gen.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #790 on: March 24, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
Get a Deino when you can. Hydreigon is unstoppable. I also just evolved my Larvesta into Volcarona. I have never seen Special Attack jump so high in my light. It went from 88 to 200 in one level.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: March 24, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
Oh excadrill.  Apparently he DEFINES the new gen competitive metagame.  Every team must have a strategy revolving either around your excadrill kicking every ass within a thousand miles or their excadrill dying a horrible death.

Offline Riceball

« Reply #792 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:37 PM »
Volcarona

I had thought about getting one of these, but Im a bit uneasy having two bug-types in my team; plus I've got the fire already covered (although that sp attack is mighty attractive...)

Jellicent

I think I'm gonna go for this, haven't tried using a ghost for a while and I reckon this guy would be a good support member. Might sub out Servine for this.

Deino

Interesting. I had thought about it, but IDK looks like a lot of work. Obviously pays off in the end though :biggrin:

Excadrill

The fact that everyone uses him is an immediate turn-off for me. I like going for more left-field choices when developing a team. However, seeing as I'm trying to build up a team capable of competing, it could be necessary.

Thanks for all your help guys! :tup

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #793 on: March 24, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »
Statwise Volcarona is one of the strongest pokemon in the game. I highly recommend you ditch both fire and bug pokemon and use that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #794 on: March 24, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »
Current lineup-

Virizion, lv 53
Cobalion, lv 54
Reshiram, lv 53
Musharna, lv 54
Zweilous, lv 50
Undecided

I just dropped my Swanna realizing it would be too weak for the team going forward, but I'm not sure what I'll put in its place. I'll probably catch something wild and decide I like it and go with that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #795 on: March 24, 2011, 09:53:43 PM »
I can't use legendaries in a team I'm using. I feel so dirty.

Offline Riceball

« Reply #796 on: March 24, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »

Seconded. Legendaries are far too OP for my liking.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #797 on: March 25, 2011, 05:43:46 AM »
Excadrill

The fact that everyone uses him is an immediate turn-off for me. I like going for more left-field choices when developing a team. However, seeing as I'm trying to build up a team capable of competing, it could be necessary.
No, I'm totally with you on that. Absolutely hate when something is a "de facto" choice. I only stick by mine because I didn't know how popular it was when I first got it. Much better to be a little off-kilter and do your own individual thing than stick to tried and tested formulae.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #798 on: March 25, 2011, 06:25:19 AM »

This, with the one exception of Victini for my playthrough this time. He really didn't feel like a legendary to me.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #799 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
Well what a pisser.
Z and I tried everything last night to get connected and nothing worked.
Two different DS's cards etc etc. Big time bummer. Not sure why it worked with Rob and not him.

Anyhow, Rina.....I'm going to the Sens v. Caps game tonight, but I'll be around late so I can pm you later if you'll be on. What do you want besides the 4 game stop ones (if we can manage to get hooked up) a Darkrai and a Manaphy maybe too?

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #800 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:37 AM »
Well what a pisser.
Z and I tried everything last night to get connected and nothing worked.
Two different DS's cards etc etc. Big time bummer. Not sure why it worked with Rob and not him.

Anyhow, Rina.....I'm going to the Sens v. Caps game tonight, but I'll be around late so I can pm you later if you'll be on. What do you want besides the 4 game stop ones (if we can manage to get hooked up) a Darkrai and a Manaphy maybe too?

Sure that'd be awesome.  :heart

Do you have an Eevee + Water stone I can have? I don't have a second DS to use to get my Vaporeon from my other game onto this one. (Likewise with my Persian and Mantine)

I'd offer you something too but...er....  :blush  -is avid about completing Pokedex but doesn't ever keep anything-

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #801 on: March 25, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
You can have the eevee or you can just have the completed vaporeon...you want any of the other evee evolutions? Those Umbreons are just plane nasty to battle.

No worries on sending stuff back to me.
My big concern is which game I'm trading too....Im not sure I can trade to Black from HG. I certainly couldn't get it to work with Z and he was using Diamond or Pearl I think.

Very frustrating.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #802 on: March 25, 2011, 08:13:18 AM »
You can have the eevee or you can just have the completed vaporeon...you want any of the other evee evolutions? Those Umbreons are just plane nasty to battle.

No worries on sending stuff back to me.
My big concern is which game I'm trading too....Im not sure I can trade to Black from HG. I certainly couldn't get it to work with Z and he was using Diamond or Pearl I think.

Very frustrating.

I have a HG version, then maybe from there I can use a local DS from a friend to move them into my Black version?

(Sure, Eevee evolutions are always fun)  :laugh:

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #803 on: March 25, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
Ok.
Vaporeon
and maybe an umbreon or esperon

if IF we get it to work, I'll need your crew overnight so "rare candy" them up
it's just a matter of sitting there hitting the button over and over but it takes a while

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #804 on: March 25, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »
Ok.
Vaporeon
and maybe an umbreon or esperon

if IF we get it to work, I'll need your crew overnight so "rare candy" them up
it's just a matter of sitting there hitting the button over and over but it takes a while

(And if you can get a Persian + Mantine that'd be awesome too)  :heart

We shall attempt a HG and Black crossover then?