Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250684 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White [Friend Codes in OP]
« Reply #560 on: March 14, 2011, 10:04:55 PM »
White Forest: nuff said

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #561 on: March 14, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »
This is my "goal" team. I obviously don't have all these guys assembled yet, but this is the team I want.

Swanna
Conkeldurr
Elektross
Hydeigon
Bisharp
Victini

I've got Victini, Girdurr and Swanna right now, and I'm about to enter Chargestone in the story mode so I'll be getting the Elektross pre-evolution soon (forgot its name)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #562 on: March 15, 2011, 05:20:42 AM »
I'm probably going to pick up Heartgold tomorrow. Maybe. Someone explain to me how this friend code stuff works.
Heart Gold's a fine game, but I absolutely would recommend Black or White above it. I'm very happy calling them the best new Pokemon games since Red and Blue. And, there's no continuity. It's a brand new start. The first truly new world since, again, Red and Blue.

(Not to mention, if anyone's anything like me, they're probably importing their Heart Gold / Soul Silver teams onto Black / White anyway! Which might mean there won't be much left for you to do with that Friend Code. Could be very wrong, though. Regardless, the prices aren't far off one another.)

Black is supposed to be more industrialized, while White is more open I guess. I have Black but I haven't played it yet, just White.
COOL SHIT IN BLACK THAT ROCKS
Reshiram. (Fiery dragon. Rar.)
Gothita, Gothorita & Gothitelle. (Grumpy women, look less like trannies with each evolution.)
Vullaby & Mandibuzz. (Ugliest pokemon ever evolves into a kickin' bulky vulture.)
Cottonee and Whimsicott. (Little grassy fellas with an excellent ability in Prankster.)
Tornadus. (Pure flying genie. Looks exactly like Thundurus.)
Sawk more common than Throh. (Jim Henson puppet knows karate, rather than judo.)
Black City. (Full of shit trainers.)
Eighth gym leader is Drayden. (Old man with no obvious mouth.)
Opelucid City is futuristic and covered in circuits.
There is a greenhouse in Mistrialton. You cannot enter it.
Basculin has a red face.

ROCKIN' SHIT IN WHITE THAT'S COOL
Zekrom. (Zappy dragon. Rar.)
Solosis, Duosion & Reuniclus. (Single cell organism, looks more like a bear embryo with each evolution.)
Rufflet & Braviary. (Cute wee bird evolves into a kickin' destructive eagle.)
Petilil & Lilligant. (Overly gentle leafy ladies.)
Thundurus. (Electric flying genie. Looks exactly like Tornadus.)
Throh more common than Sawk. (Jim Henson puppet knows judo, rather than karate.)
White Forest. (Full of shit pokemon.)
Eighth gym leader is Iris. (Small girl with no obvious hairdresser.)
Opelucid City is archaic and covered in moss.
There is a vegetable patch in Mistrialton. You cannot pick vegetables.
Basculin has a blue face.

That seems to be roughly it. No big deal either way - Reshiram or Zekrom seems to be the biggest clincher. You can get the opposite leaf-lady in an in-game trade. I've got White and I swapped a Rufflet for Vullaby, hasn't made a massive difference to my net enjoyment (as kickass as Mandibuzz is).

I've got Victini, Girdurr and Swanna right now, and I'm about to enter Chargestone in the story mode so I'll be getting the Elektross pre-evolution soon (forgot its name)
Tynamo.

It's fucking shite. Sort of like a better Magikarp. Tackle, Thunder Wave, Thundershock, Spark. That's your lot, til it evolves. (...happy training!)

My original "plan" team was along the lines of...

Samurott
Excadrill
Chandelure
Reuniclus
Scrafty
Eelektross

Ended up very close to that. Stuck with Archeops instead of switching to Eelektross, and Archeops turned out to be the crown in the team. Highest level of the lot of them.

I've started training outside of the team, now. I've got a Zoroark which has accidentally reached level 80. I'm not sure how. Turned out it was very good at the Pokemon League, though. The wee bugger looked like a Dragonite at the time, so the Psychic lass kept on trying Hypnosis and Dream Eater against it. Gives enough time for three Nasty Plots, followed by a clean sweep. "Night Daze! Night Daze! ...Oop, that one's steel, Flamethrower. Night Daze! Flamethrower! Night Daze! ...Is it over already?" Also featuring Galvantula and Mandibuzz.

Galvantula's pretty brilliant, too. Kinda pleased with the strategy I came up with. Probably considered pretty elementary, but the wee beast's got Compoundeyes - so I gave her Thunder. Nearly always hits. Brilliant. Similar mould to Zoroark, however - speedy and powerful - whereas Mandibuzz is totally different. Takes hits like nobody's business, really strong backbone, but the attack stats are a bit poor. SO, threw Nasty Plot onto her, and gave her a Rocky Helmet. She dishes out recoil damage while soaking up hits as she nastily plots, then when her Sp. Att's starting to get usable she can fire off Dark Pulses. Also threw in Toxic, to make things go away, and Tailwind, to help out her team a bit.

Kinda want three more from Gen V to round out a full team - thinking of Cofagrigus and Beeheeyem, but I am aware that I'm starting to amass a lot of creepy crawlies. It's gonna be the most unintentionally sinister team the game has to offer. Might have to throw in a Minccino, just to offset the tides of evil. And should probably rotate Zoroark with Mandibuzz, seeing as - while they're both played pretty differently - their strategies both revolve around Nasty Plot and a powerful Dark move.

I can't put this game down. Just got to the hipster city and need to train up my team a bit. Does anyone else try to get six right off the bat and train them all up or just stick with a few?
Bit of both. I did originally go through White just picking up anything as I found it - had a team consisting of Oshawott, Lillipup, Patrat, Pansear, Woobat and Purrloin towards the start - before eventually just going "nah, I'm not a fan of all of these," and grabbing more or less anything that took my fancy, rather than every single thing that stayed in my eyeline for more than a second or two.

Dewott, Scraggy, Lilligant, Whirlipede, Pansear and Archen quickly became Samurott, Scrafty, Archeops, Chandelure, Reuniclus and Excadrill... there's been a fair few changes.

Is the hipster city Nimbasa? Really like Nimbasa city. The music's ace, and the gym leader's an absolute arsehair to beat.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:28:34 AM by robwebster »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #563 on: March 15, 2011, 06:32:53 AM »
Fucking hell, it looks like both Black AND White are worth getting, since there's more differences this time around.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ehra

« Reply #564 on: March 15, 2011, 09:51:34 AM »
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108475-PAX-East-2011-Pokemon-TCG-Expanding-to-Digital-Realm-for-Free

The free-to-play Pokemon Trading Card Game Online should draw in both new players that want to learn and experienced battlers looking for opponents 24/7.

The Pokemon Company International sat down with me at PAX East 2011 to show off the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online experience planned to launch in the first week of April 2011. Even as someone that doesn't play the Pokemon TCG in the real world, it was appealing because of how The Pokemon Company is constructing it for players of all types.

Pokemon: TCGO can be played through any device that runs Flash, i.e. web browsers and the like. The Pokemon Company's goal is to expand the physical Pokemon TCG experience to the digital realm, giving real world players something to do when a human opponent isn't around to battle, while also drawing in new players through an extensive tutorial system that will teach them every aspect of the game. It's looking like the best way to learn to play the Pokemon TCG will be through Pokemon: TCGO, which is free-to-play with three decks if you never want to spend a dime. For those that get into it, new decks purchased in physical retail stores (released quarterly) can be scanned into the game, tying the real and digital worlds of the card game together and eliminating the necessity for consumers to pay for the content twice.

Whether you need a tutorial or not, Pokemon: TCGO will provide the exact same play experience that the TCG offers to physical players. The game's April launch will feature its player vs. computer component, or what The Pokemon Company calls a "game store experience." Players begin by creating their own unique avatar from a huge number of body part choices (eyes, noses, mouths, etc.), along with plenty of different clothing options. If you want to have a goatee, wear a sombrero, and a pair of Kanye West shutter shades, you can. Unlike the Pokemon videogames, the Pokemon TCG takes place in the real world, and Pokemon: TCGO's avatars reflect that.

Once you're all set up, Pokemon: TCGO has players work their way through the ranked virtual opponents of a leaderboard system, each with his/her own personality and AI. Defeating these opponents raises your rank and awards tokens that can be used to purchase more avatar options. Senior director of Pokemon: TCGO Andrew Finch told me that even when players are at the top of the leaderboard, they'll want to keep playing because as with most TCGs, every game is unique. In addition, the game features a big list of achievements to unlock.

The real meat of the game for hardcore players will be the player vs. player component launching later in 2011. This mode will feature anything from one-on-one battles to scheduled events to larger tournaments generated on the fly that match players up by both skill and style.

To make it easier to jump into PvP, The Pokemon Company has implemented a seriously detailed Deck Wizard. If you don't want to mess with deck building, the game will feature pre-constructed decks built around a particular type of Pokemon and other simple factors. If you want to pick every single card that goes into your deck, you can do that too, and the Deck Wizard allows you to sort cards by every possible factor to make things easier. Some players will spend hours just messing with the Deck Wizard, guaranteed. Finch also told me that trading cards with friends (or foes) will be possible.

Playing a match of the game was very easy, even for a new player like myself, because Pokemon: TCGO guides you at every step along the way. If you're making a choice that might not be the most ideal, the game will double check to make sure that's what you want to do if you're a novice. The interface is very intuitive and battles even feature animations for attacks and other moves, such as jets of flame and water.

Like the creatures Pokemon: TCGO is centered around, Finch says the game will keep evolving after release with new features. A beta test phase is planned to launch the week of March 13-19 (this week) that anyone can play by signing up for the Pokemon Trainer Club here. I never saw myself getting into the physical Pokemon TCG because of factors like cost and the challenge of finding other players, but Pokemon: TCGO eliminates those barriers. From what I was shown, hardcore players should also love it as an extension of their real world experience.

I think I'll definitely give this a try and at least mess with the free decks. If you can buy individual cards then I could see myself getting deeper into it, but if you've still got to just buy booster packs and hope you get what you want then it won't be worth my money.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #565 on: March 15, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
Holy shit that's awesome.

But I don't need any more FTP games in my life :lol

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #566 on: March 15, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »
Here is my team at the moment:
Pignite lvl 17
Pansage lvl 18
Herdier lvl 16
Roggenrola lvl 17
Woobat lvl 17
Blitzle lvl 16

Does Pansage suck as much as I think it does, or does it get better later in the game?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #567 on: March 15, 2011, 11:20:38 AM »
I've been finding Marriland's reviews pretty helpful. He did one on all three:

https://pokemon.marriland.com/black_white/walkthrough/triobadge/dreamyard

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #568 on: March 15, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »
Interesting, thanks! I guess I'll hold on to it.

Also :facepalm: I didn't know grass was a physical attack, I always thought it was special. Damn it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #569 on: March 15, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
The grass in front of my house is special, at least that's what my mom always told me  :(

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #570 on: March 15, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
 :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
Um...physical and special moves aren't determined by attack types anymore.  If you have vine whip, its physical.  Giga drain is special. 

And yes Pansage kinda sucks.  So does Pansear.  Panpour is probably the most useful beyond the first few gyms.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #572 on: March 15, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »
Evolved my Panpour into Simipour as soon as I got Scald. I expect it to rape ass.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
About to catch Reshiram!  GOGOGOGOGOGOMASTERBALL

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2011, 04:33:11 PM »
Um...physical and special moves aren't determined by attack types anymore.  If you have vine whip, its physical.  Giga drain is special. 

And yes Pansage kinda sucks.  So does Pansear.  Panpour is probably the most useful beyond the first few gyms.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. I didn't know each specific move had it's own trait, I thought all fire moves were special, all normal moves were physical etc.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #575 on: March 15, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. I didn't know each specific move had it's own trait, I thought all fire moves were special, all normal moves were physical etc.

:facepalm:
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #576 on: March 15, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »
LOLOL I DON'T STUDY POKEMON LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SORRY

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #577 on: March 15, 2011, 04:48:22 PM »
Study? Pffft, son, that's like 2nd grade shit.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
Seriously, what are you, a Poke hipster?

POKIPSTER
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2011, 04:52:40 PM »
They didn't teach Pokemon stats in my elementary school, sorry.

AND BITCH I'VE BEEN PLAYING SINCE THE ORIGINALS. I was just always under that assumption since my three most used types (water, fire, and psychic) are almost all special, then all of the attacks were for those types. I knew some moves like hyper beam were special, but for some reason I just assumed generally grass, fire, psychic water etc were always special.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #580 on: March 15, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »
You know what they say about assumptions.

Also, CHECK YOUR PHONE GOD DAMNIT I TEXTED YOU LIKE AN HOURS AGO
space cadet, pull out.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: March 15, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »
If you'd been playing since the originals you would have known about the physical/special split they introduced in DPPt.  Nub.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #582 on: March 15, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »
If you'd been playing since the originals you would have known about the physical/special split they introduced in DPPt.  Nub.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT DPPT IS I TOLD YOU I DON'T KNOW YOUR POKE LINGO

When I was playing the originals I was like 8 and I didn't care about any of the moves or the strategy behind the game, I just used flamethrower and Charizard for everything so....................

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #583 on: March 15, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
NOOB DIAMOND PEARL PLATINUM
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #584 on: March 15, 2011, 05:30:30 PM »
Oh well that makes sense then. I didn't have a DS/platinum until a few months ago, so the last game I played was Ruby before that.

I'M STILL USED TO HOW IT WAS IN THE ORIGINALS GUYS OK SO YOU CAN BOTH SHUT UP NOW THX

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #585 on: March 15, 2011, 05:35:45 PM »
You just suck at life.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #586 on: March 15, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
I didn't even know they did that. :lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: March 15, 2011, 05:38:34 PM »
If you really want to start a shitstorm, argue whether or not the older gens are better than the newer gens.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #588 on: March 15, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »
I didn't even know they did that. :lol

THANK YOU! o/

And also, I like the newer gens, even though the old ones are my favorites. I wasn't a huge fan of Ruby (infact, thats why I waited so long to get a DS... wasn't too impressed with the direction it was going). But Platinum was awesome and I'm really enjoying White so far. It certainly is different since I'm so used to Red/Gold, but the new ones are pretty interesting.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: March 15, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »
Yeah I'm not a fan of the 3rd gen (except Ludicolo, who is the best them), but Platinum and BW are probably even better than Red/Blue for me now, despite the nostalgia factor.

EDIT: Okay, I just found the poketransfer lab, and what's all this about not bringing items along with your pokemon?  That is INCREDIBLY stupid.  I am no longer enamored with these games.  Nintendo just broke my heart by not letting my send over a bunch of master balls, leftovers, life orbs, expert belts, etc.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:55:03 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: March 15, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »
Well they never let you do that between gens before.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: March 15, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »
Yeah they did.  I was able to send pokemon with leftovers and master balls from LeafGreen to Diamond and Platinum.  Now I'm sad.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #592 on: March 15, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »
Think part of it is due to the ways the bag's been changed. TMs being permanent, for instance.

Is a little annoying. Got a couple of rare berries on Soul Silver. And I'm having to grind through for new Power Anklets, etc. - so far only got Anklet, Lens and Belt.

Not a big problem, though. Just... play the game.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #593 on: March 15, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
Yeah, having all of that stuff would take a lot of the fun out of starting a new game anyways.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: March 15, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
But you only get one Leftovers in BW...and where the hell do I get Damp rocks for my rain dance team now? :( :( :(