Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250757 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2010, 07:34:18 AM »
im on the 6th gym....a couple level 40's now..some nice evolving.

have rare candies always "revived" fainted pokemon or is this a new thing for Black\White?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »

have rare candies always "revived" fainted pokemon or is this a new thing for Black\White?

I think they always have.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2010, 09:18:34 AM »
Guys. Guys

They're going to announce the English names for the starters today :D

:metal :metal :metal

Offline robwebster

« Reply #213 on: November 22, 2010, 09:24:30 AM »

I think they always have.
Yeah, they have. When a pokemon levels up, its HP increases, so something which had fainted with 0/256HP might gain three more on level up, and end up with 3/259HP. They add points on both ends.

On tenterhooks for these English names to be announced...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #214 on: November 22, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
I really want to get this but I know that I won't be able to stop til I get them all.  Besides, I still have loads of fun playing Red n Blue.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #215 on: November 22, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
I guess the logical next step once I finish black would be to level up my HG people or go and try Platinum which I've heard is still the best one.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2010, 04:19:05 PM »
Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #217 on: November 22, 2010, 04:21:42 PM »

What, what, and WHAT?!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »

Ew, Okay, and Wut.

I assume Snivy is Tsujarja?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2010, 05:02:01 PM »
Yeah. Far as I can tell...

Snivy = Snake + Ivy.
Tepig = Tepid + Pig.
Oshawott = Otter + Wash.

...The last of which was then slung through a mangle.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #220 on: November 22, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »
Dumbest names yet
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:44:16 PM by PlaysLikeMyüng »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: November 22, 2010, 06:35:46 PM »
Gayest names yet

I agree.  None of the other starters names have sucked until now.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2010, 06:43:33 PM »
Gayest names yet

1. Lickylicky

2. I don't agree with your word choice.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »
fix'd

also, Lickilicky didn't bother me nearly as much as these half-assed names

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »
I think Lickylicky is the most half-assed name ever.

Also, Oshawott is fun to say.

Offline ehra

« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »
Lickatung is still the worst name.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2010, 08:16:57 PM »
Thought Snivy was really crap at first. Already got used to it, quite like it now. Oshawott's excellent anyway, still not sure about Tepig. See how it goes.

None of the names are worse than, say, Mr. Mime. Or Palkia.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #227 on: November 23, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »
These names are surely weird. Not so sure about them being dumb, but they're definitely weird.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2010, 06:15:53 AM »
My current crew as I go through the game.

37 Chaoboo
40 Kokoromori
45 Tabunne
45 Gamegeroge
43 Dredia
41 Tsunbeaa

so far..not much really standing in my way with this bunch....not a single gym leader has posed a problem. This game (more so than HG) seems to be giving away TMs and HMs away like candy.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2010, 07:37:59 AM »
Overall, I think the names have been declining since the second generation. Not really a surprise, and I guess the names don't matter all that much.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2010, 08:28:47 AM »
I've been pretty fine with the names so far.  Oshawott gets better when you say it out loud, still not a fan of Snivy.  Sounds like he has a snively nose or something.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2010, 08:43:01 AM »
Overall, I think the names have been declining since the second generation. Not really a surprise, and I guess the names don't matter all that much.
Keep in mind that we've all grown up ten years since the second generation.

Bulbasaur is no cleverer than, say, Turtwig - to pick like for like.

The general formula's not changed much. Bulbasaur sounds catchier 'cause we've been brought up with it, and known and loved it for thirteen odd years.

Not to say that they're not declining, either. They'll have done six hundred of 'em before long. But I dunno, I think rumours of their demise are a wee bit exaggerated. There's not a massive gap between contemporary names and the old ones.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2010, 09:40:19 AM »
There's not a massive gap between contemporary names and the old ones.

Agreed.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2010, 08:20:33 AM »
Dream World.

***SIGHHHHHH******

I wish I could read japanese.

It's sort of working...sort of.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2010, 08:59:16 AM »
I'm still just waiting until the US version's released :lol

I've no desire to play the game in Japanese

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »
well....I've got the game about 90% or so in engrish but the DreamWorld site is all japanese...so many events, give aways...an arceus for example.....

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
Well guys, I have a Dragonair.  There has just been so much grinding to this point on my Leaf Green playthrough, and there's going to be even more to get that Dragonair up to a Dragonite.

Team so far:

39 Charizard
38 Vaporeon
36 Nidoking
36 Snorlax
36 Raichu
34 Dragonair

Plus an HM slave Paras.

EDIT: Everyone's close to or over 40 right now.  Caught my Zapdos! :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:37:22 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #237 on: November 27, 2010, 10:34:55 PM »
You're going to rip the Elite Four all kinds of new ones.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: November 27, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »
I always do.  This is the first time I've ever bothered to level up a Dragonite.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #239 on: November 28, 2010, 02:11:54 AM »
Where did you get the Dratini, anyway? Safari Park or Celadon Arcade?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2010, 05:54:50 PM »
Started a pokemon Yellow runthru.  How I missed this game...

I have three goals before B/W comes out.  1) Complete the pokedex with no glitches except the Mew glitch, 2) completely beat pokemon stadium, and 3) complete my dream team:

Jynx
Persian
Rhydon
Zapdos
Starmie
Gengar

The only ones I've ever used are Gengar and Zapdos.  I'm excited to use these somewhat weird pokemon, especially Jynx and Starmie.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2010, 01:42:31 AM »
Dramatic Pokemon Theme Reading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTQlEmf2cnI
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #242 on: December 07, 2010, 06:36:38 AM »

I have three goals before B/W comes out.  1) Complete the pokedex with no glitches except the Mew glitch, 2) completely beat pokemon stadium, and 3) complete my dream team:

Jynx
Persian
Rhydon
Zapdos
Starmie
Gengar

The only ones I've ever used are Gengar and Zapdos.  I'm excited to use these somewhat weird pokemon, especially Jynx and Starmie.
That's very cool. I thiiiiiink, every single one of those is considered one of the best of the generation, too.

I take Smogon's league tables with a massive pinch of salt, as I'm not a competitive battler and never plan to be, and their rankings are very dependent upon some quite niche strategies (I have never seen anyone use Stealth Rock), but in Generation I they've got Persian in a higher tier than Dragonite. So you know. It went downhill after that as other pokemon began to fill similar niches, but in Gen I Persian was considered handier to have than a Dragonite. That's damn cool.

Just checked, yeah the rest are all in the same tier. That could be a pretty mean team.

AND. On the subject of your team. Has anyone else ever considered a starterless game? I was thinking of replaying Diamond without a starter, but didn't quite have the heart. Or the strength of conviction. The starter I was planning on putting away just automatically became my strongest Pokemon as I was training up the others I caught to replace it.

Closest I've come is, after I beat Diamond last, I put all my main team away, got a Riolu to level five, and then jetted to New Bark Town to start work on a pokedex. So I ended up playing the game again, but staying in each area long enough to catch each pokemon there, with Riolu as a sort of de-facto starter. Became quite a cool team.

My first ever team on Red was starterless, too, 'cause children are stupid, and I at the time I was one of 'em. I really wanted to do a trade, and all I had was an Ivysaur. Got a Grimer back that wouldn't obey me, to my chagrine. Not that I'd have ever thought "to my chagrine" as a child. Just thrown a tantrum.

Ended up settling on a Drowzee as my lead Pokemon. Eventually a Hypno.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:42:03 AM by robwebster »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »

Jynx
Persian
Rhydon
Zapdos
Starmie
Gengar

That's very cool. I thiiiiiink, every single one of those is considered one of the best of the generation, too.

I take Smogon's league tables with a massive pinch of salt, as I'm not a competitive battler and never plan to be, and their rankings are very dependent upon some quite niche strategies (I have never seen anyone use Stealth Rock), but in Generation I they've got Persian in a higher tier than Dragonite. So you know. It went downhill after that as other pokemon began to fill similar niches, but in Gen I Persian was considered handier to have than a Dragonite. That's damn cool.

Just checked, yeah the rest are all in the same tier. That could be a pretty mean team.

AND. On the subject of your team. Has anyone else ever considered a starterless game? I was thinking of replaying Diamond without a starter, but didn't quite have the heart. Or the strength of conviction. The starter I was planning on putting away just automatically became my strongest Pokemon as I was training up the others I caught to replace it.

Closest I've come is, after I beat Diamond last, I put all my main team away, got a Riolu to level five, and then jetted to New Bark Town to start work on a pokedex. So I ended up playing the game again, but staying in each area long enough to catch each pokemon there, with Riolu as a sort of de-facto starter. Became quite a cool team.

My first ever team on Red was starterless, too, 'cause children are stupid, and I at the time I was one of 'em. I really wanted to do a trade, and all I had was an Ivysaur. Got a Grimer back that wouldn't obey me, to my chagrine. Not that I'd have ever thought "to my chagrine" as a child. Just thrown a tantrum.

Ended up settling on a Drowzee as my lead Pokemon. Eventually a Hypno.
Yeah, they are quite good.   :lol  Starmie and Rhydon are pretty much staples in every team.  Persian is great but I think Tauros is better.  Jynx is cool cause of Lovely Kiss, which is much more accurate than something like Hypnosis or Sing.  I will probably end up replacing Zapdos with a Surfing Raichu, but it's gonna be a while til I beat Prime Cup.  And Gengar...I dunno.  Sure he walls other normal types, like Persian...but he is pwned by Earthquake and Psychic, which are really common.  And it's not like there are an extraordinary amount of normals out there to wall.

I think the reason Persian is higher than Dragonite is because Dragonite is owned by Blizzard and Ice Beam.  I think they nerfed Blizzard's accuracy in future generations, but in RBY it's 90.

Personally, I don't really like using starters.  They just aren't cool, and their movepools are usually really bad.

You traded an Ivysaur for a Grimer??  ::)

Hypno's awesome.  Like an Alakazam, but can actually survive physical attacks.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #244 on: December 07, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »
Yeah. I did. I was possibly eight or nine? Didn't know much about Pokemon. Didn't know you could only catch one Bulbasaur. Didn't know Grimer were common. Gutted.

Gengar's main problem is that its Special stats are twice the size of its physical ones, yet its types are both physical in Gen 1. Not that it can learn any poison attacks bar Toxic anyway. Nor can it deal any ghost-type damage 'cept with Lick, which is puny.

Confuse Ray's ace, though. Plus, it can learn plenty of special attacks, so you know. Thunderbolt'd serve it well - although, perhaps more sensible on Starmie. You'll just have to use a handful of TMs if you want to do anything clever with it, I guess. There's no real counter to psychic types in the first gen anywho. Just grin and bear 'em.

I do agree about starters, to an extent. I don't like how they're such an obvious choice. Almost any given in-game team will have one, which makes them quite predictable. I still do tend to use them throughout the story mode, though. Don't have the heart not to. And they are damn useful.