Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250652 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2010, 08:10:14 AM »
Very neat interface.
I suppose purists will say it's different and sucks. But I'm not seeing the "suckage". The battles move FAST now. Like the 'moves' menu zooms in..you pick your attack and it zooms out(in half a second)....it's just very slick. And you can tell it's designed for the 3DS because it has quite a bit of 3D~ish stuff. Leaves floating through the screen from one side to the other that I'm sure on the 3DS pop right out. Lots of cute lil new pokies. I've got a fairly well patched version with english..but Im just past the the second gym and I've run out of english. Uh oh.

I got a mystery gift pokemon right off the bat but, as I've leveled it up it refuses to listen to me.....fucker.

I would recomend it for sure when it hits north america. There is some new type of pokegear that's always "on" with three different methods of interacting with others...wi-fi, local wi-fi and infrared?....
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2010, 08:15:25 AM »
Very neat interface.
I suppose purists will say it's different and sucks. But I'm not seeing the "suckage". The battles move FAST now. Like the 'moves' menu zooms in..you pick your attack and it zooms out(in half a second)....it's just very slick. And you can tell it's designed for the 3DS because it has quite a bit of 3D~ish stuff. Leaves floating through the screen from one side to the other that I'm sure on the 3DS pop right out. Lots of cute lil new pokies. I've got a fairly well patched version with english..but Im just past the the second gym and I've run out of english. Uh oh.

I got a mystery gift pokemon right off the bat but, as I've leveled it up it refuses to listen to me.....fucker.

I would recomend it for sure when it hits north america. There is some new type of pokegear that's always "on" with three different methods of interacting with others...wi-fi, local wi-fi and infrared?....

Cool, I'll have to get it for Volk when it comes out over here. I'm not as totally interested in it, so I'll probably play it after him.  :laugh:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2010, 08:44:40 AM »
what's an EV.
It's er, the proper mathematical stuff.

I'm no expert in this field, I kind of think it's where the fun starts to sap away. It involves a lot of hidden values, which aren't apparent in the game, 'cause that's not really the way the game's intended.

BUT! EV stands for "effort value." As the game's built, each pokemon you defeat gives you effort points. So er, a Pidgeotto, for example, is quite a fast fella, so defeating one will yield 2 speed effort points to the pokemon that defeats it. So, if you were to battle a lot of Pidgeotto while training a pokemon, that pokemon would become quite fast.

It's all very complicated, but the people who take it mega seriously tend to effort train, to boost all the right stats in all the right places, and if done correctly they become nigh-on indefeatable.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »
what's an EV.
It's er, the proper mathematical stuff.

I'm no expert in this field, I kind of think it's where the fun starts to sap away. It involves a lot of hidden values, which aren't apparent in the game, 'cause that's not really the way the game's intended.

BUT! EV stands for "effort value." As the game's built, each pokemon you defeat gives you effort points. So er, a Pidgeotto, for example, is quite a fast fella, so defeating one will yield 2 speed effort points to the pokemon that defeats it. So, if you were to battle a lot of Pidgeotto while training a pokemon, that pokemon would become quite fast.

It's all very complicated, but the people who take it mega seriously tend to effort train, to boost all the right stats in all the right places, and if done correctly they become nigh-on indefeatable.

Oh, wow, that's crazy, I didnt' know that. Now I'm motivated to try this.  :omg:

Cool, thanks for sharing.  :tup

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2010, 08:58:10 AM »
wow...and all of that is sort of "behind the scenes programing matrix stuff"?????

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2010, 09:03:47 AM »
So how exactly do you go about training EV style? And how can you check to see what difference it makes?  :laugh:

Offline ehra

« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2010, 09:07:33 AM »
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

Basically, they're bonuses to your pokemon's stats based on which pokemon they've defeated.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

Basically, they're bonuses to your pokemon's stats based on which pokemon they've defeated.

Cool, thanks.  :tup

Offline robwebster

« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2010, 09:13:46 AM »
wow...and all of that is sort of "behind the scenes programing matrix stuff"?????
Yeah, basically! I think it's designed to try and make it look semi-random, but lots of clever people have kind of worked it all out.

So how exactly do you go about training EV style? And how can you check to see what difference it makes?  :laugh:
This isn't my forte, so if I'm passing on shoddy information I can only apologise...

But, you basically choose a stat - say, Special Attack - and you can look up which pokemon are good for that particular stat.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_effort_value_yield - Like so. You can click the top of each column to sort by that stat. So, if you wanted a ridiculous special attack value, you could start kicking some Beautiflies around. You'll be able to see the difference when you level up, and it goes "Sp. Attack +7" or what have you. And then you'll notice it when you use a special attack, and you accidentally rip the head off a Steelix.

There is a maximum number of points you can get in any single "field." Like 65xxx, I think. So you can probably max a couple of stats while you train.

But yar. There's more detail in here... vitamins (protein etc.) boost EVs, and there are items which you can train with which change the distributions... it's a rich tapestry. I'm fairly wooly on this, I prefer to just play the game and have a laugh with it. But competitive players will swear by all this. And even drop pokemon if they get the effort values wrong. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2010, 09:18:25 AM »
Wow, thanks, I'll give it a try then.  :laugh:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2010, 09:21:55 AM »
I think I've tried it once, where I was training exclusively on Barboach and Whiscash. Can't remember what they were upping - special defence, p'raps? Worked a treat, you really do notice it.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2010, 10:21:28 AM »
I actually still have a good time EV training my pokemon.  Once you get pokerus and EV doubling items it becomes a lot easier and less time-consuming.  I don't breed extensively for the best IVs, because I don't have patience for that beyond just seeing if the key stats are above 20.  But Rob explained EVs pretty well already, being the master wordsmith he is.

The most EVs you can have in a particular stat is 255, with 510 total.  For every 4 EVs, that translates to a +1 bonus in whatever stat you trained for.  So if you killed two pidgeottos and leveled up, you'd get 1 extra point of speed.  Using rare candys won't take the EV stat increases into account unless you've filled the 510 limit.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2010, 10:24:49 AM »
So with that in mind, wouldn't you want to get all your pokemon as low a level as possible before EV training? And the team you use to beat the game with is absolutely worthless?
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2010, 10:53:18 AM »
Maybe.  What I do is rare candy them up to ~50, then give them vitamins (vitamins increase the EV of a certain stat by ten up to 100 EVs), then train them on pokemon that have 2 EVs of the stat I want, along with having pokerus and a power item.  Goes by faster that way.

And basically, yeah, because the EVs will be screwed up, unless you want to use all those EV reducing berries (Hondew and such, the ones that increase happiness) and re-train those pokemon, the team you beat the Elite 4 with won't be optimized.  Good for sentimental value though.  EV training doesn't mean too much in the story mode, but its a big difference in competitive battles.  In friendly battles they should do just fine, but if you're going up against someone who knows their shit, you might lose.  Esp. since your pokemon will probably have lots of HMs that are otherwise worthless.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: November 01, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »
Good question.
And
Good answer.

Interesting stuff.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »
My only question is: how do you get Pokerus?

As far as I know it's completely random

Offline robwebster

« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »

Basically, yeah. You have to fight a wild pokemon with it. And they're rare.

I got it once in Silver, so when I was about eleven I guess? Had no idea what the crap it was. When the nurse told me my pokemon had a virus, I more or less instantly created a new game.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: November 01, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »

The chance of fighting a wild pokemon with pokerus is like 1/23,000 or something.  Or you can find a friend with an infected pokemon to trade.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #193 on: November 01, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »
What are the consequences of that Pokérus?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2010, 05:09:59 AM »
what's this now?
pokerus?

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2010, 06:39:47 AM »
wow..OK.
I googled it myself...pretty rare..and very helpfull for training.

Neat stuff.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »
Pokerus is a "virus" that doubles the EVs your pokemon receives.  So if you fight a zubat and your pokemon has pokerus, it'll get 2 speed EVs instead of one.  Say you have a macho brace on AND pokerus, you'll get 4 speed EVs.  Say you have the power anklet, an item that gives you an extra 4 speed EVs after each battle, thats (1+4)*2=10 speed EVs.  Basically, its a free macho brace.  If you have a friend who has it, its very worth a trade, especially since you can spread the virus to as many of your pokemon as you want. 

After each battle, the virus spreads to the pokemon next to the infected one in the party.  The ability for the virus to spread in your party ends after two days, but keeping them in the PC box will let them keep pokerus indefinitely.  Also when the pokemon loses its "POKERUS" symbol and is replaced with a :), the pokemon still has the effects of pokerus, it just can't spread it. 

Offline ehra

« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104999-Police-Pinch-Pokemon-Pre-release-Photographer

Back at the beginning of September, we caught our first glimpse of the then-unrevealed evolved forms of the Pokemon Black & White starters. Though gamers debated their authenticity for some time, they were eventually revealed to be the real deal when the game came out to rave reviews.

The guy who leaked some of that info in the first place, though? He's not doing quite so hot: Makoto Sekiguchi of Yokohama is currently in police custody. The 27-year-old Sekiguchi took pictures of then-unreleased 'mons such as Chaoboo - the first evolution of fire-pig Pokabu - with his mobile phone, and uploaded them to the internet at approximately 8:00 PM on September 1st. He is being charged with violating copyright infringement.

It's unclear just which Pokemon Sekiguchi reportedly leaked, or if his photos are the ones that we originally posted on September 1st. The timing and specific content would seem to match up, but the only Pokemon character in question mentioned by name is Chaoboo - so there's currently no way to be sure until more information is released.

While it is currently unknown how Sekiguchi obtained the images more than two weeks before the issue of Monthly CoroCoro Comic in question shipped, Chikusei City police are reportedly investigating the matter.

In his deposition, Sekiguchi said that he "thought [he] would show everyone the characters that haven't been made public yet." Hope it was worth it, man.

What the fuck is wrong with you, Nintendo?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2010, 09:50:20 AM »
pokemons are seriously business

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2010, 07:21:30 PM »
Its one thing to bust pirates for stealing games, but for showing some goddamn pictures? Jesus fucking christ.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »
finally beat red, used mewtwo very easy....sigh....

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
Now THAT Nintendo legal issue I can understand.  Suing pokebeach and other sites for listing all of them after the game is released?  Not so much.  Don't think Serebii's been hit yet, which is great.

Fake edit: And apparently while I wasn't paying too much attention to Smogon, Umbreon has become OU.  Interesting.  I thought no one had any use for passing Mean Look when so many teams had some kind of entry hazard.

Real edit: and Salamence has been moved to ubers.  WAT.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2010, 10:10:17 AM »
On the subject of Pokerus...

My brother got it purely by luck a couple of weeks back. He just traded me a Growlithe with it. Bring on the EVs.

Offline jsem

« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2010, 11:29:40 AM »
To the OP:
Gen I and II owned, then the downfall began. Still i feel an urge to buy the game series I've missed. I needa get:
FR/LG
DP
HG/SS
and now the new: b/w... wth

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
On the subject of Pokerus...

My brother got it purely by luck a couple of weeks back. He just traded me a Growlithe with it. Bring on the EVs.
:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #205 on: November 07, 2010, 09:23:31 AM »
PROFANITY AND RACIAL SLUR ALERT
ALSO HILARIOUS ALERT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XsSoMBVF3w
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2010, 07:57:55 AM »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »
Guys. Guys

They're going to announce the English names for the starters today :D

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2010, 06:54:06 AM »
Now I'm used to saying Tsurjarja though...

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2010, 06:57:07 AM »
I don't like saying the japanese names. It seems... clunky. I dunno