Author Topic: The Pokémon Thread v. Sun and Moon [Friend Codes in OP]  (Read 250601 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: The Pokémon Thread v. Black and White
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2010, 11:37:07 AM »

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2010, 11:41:15 AM »
I remember I once traded one of those (at a high level) for a pikachu to a friend.

Now, I'm not one to look a gift pikachu in the mouth, but if I remember correctly, I think the guy who traded it to me taught it only HM moves.

Needless to say, I was shocked.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »
Mew event is now active in all non-Japan regions. It's only active until October 30th so get your Mew now!!

It's level 5, inside a Cherish Ball, with the Premier Ribbon, and knows pound (but keep in mind that Mew can learn ANY TM :metal).

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
thank you for the reminder, I just got mine!
Ok, so now what do I do with it!?
lol

I also have all 16 badges, Im doing another run through the elite 4 for some level ups and to reset the legendaries which I killed in my first lame attempt to capture. I WANT the level 70 lugia...and that other one down in the other islands.....atucina..or whatever it's called.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »
Articuno?

Also, here's a protip for you: Get a pokemon that either learns or can learn False Swipe. A handy move that will ALWAYS leave your opponent with one HP no matter how many times you use it. At this point you can just throw ultra balls at a legendary and hope it'll be caught. Timer balls work for extended battles as well. If I recall correctly, False Swipe is TM 54?.. and can be purchased either at the Goldenrod or Celadon department store

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
hmm ultra balls eh....i was going with dusk and net balls...and how low or how much into the red should I get them? I had lugia way down then it used some move and the recoil from that move...killed itself.

damnit.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
oh fuck that sucks.

it SHOULD be red though. it's extremely hard to catch a legendary unless it's that damaged.

Here's a guide to ball capture rates:

https://www.serebii.net/games/capture.shtml

Have you fainted the legendary dogs yet? if not, then the strategy I suggested should work great, though a pokemon with the ability Arena Trap or with the move Mean Look is necessary to keep them from fleeing

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2010, 09:12:17 AM »
I caught two legendaries yesterday but I think they're the easiest of the bunch.

I got Moltres, and Zapidos(did I spell that right), I also got Mewttwo previous to those.

Articuno I had down to the red..but I ran out of balls so i fled. But I think in doing so it won't be back until I defeat the Elite 4 again..and holy crap they're harder now. I know I definitely have to do the Elite 4 again to reset Lugia.

And Im not sure how to get these strange orbs that make other Legendaries available.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »
I caught two legendaries yesterday but I think they're the easiest of the bunch.

I got Moltres, and Zapidos(did I spell that right), I also got Mewttwo previous to those.

Articuno I had down to the red..but I ran out of balls so i fled. But I think in doing so it won't be back until I defeat the Elite 4 again..and holy crap they're harder now. I know I definitely have to do the Elite 4 again to reset Lugia.

And Im not sure how to get these strange orbs that make other Legendaries available.

Another tip: save right before you battle a legendary that's stationary (like Articuno). That way, in case you faint it, or run out of balls, etc, it doesn't disappear on you, because you can just turn the game off, then on again, and prepare for next time :)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »
Ya.
Learned that lesson the hard way.
But I saved for the two yesterday and it took me two tries to get Moltres. I caught them both using Quick Balls.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2010, 05:39:39 PM »
Since I failed at finding this thread from the search.... reposting this.

So.... after a very long hiatus with pokemon (I haven't played it since Crystal), I decided to pick up leaf green for nostalgia's sake. Having a blast so far! Should I eventually pick up Emerald anyway once I'm done? I have a GBA but don't have a DS so Gen IV isn't really an option (Outside of a "Special Store", but we'll not speak on that :neverusethis:, plus I have a personal rule that I don't emulate something unless its like 10 years old).
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »

So.... after a very long hiatus with pokemon (I haven't played it since Crystal), I decided to pick up leaf green for nostalgia's sake. Having a blast so far! Should I eventually pick up Emerald anyway once I'm done? I have a GBA but don't have a DS so Gen IV isn't really an option (Outside of a "Special Store", but we'll not speak on that :neverusethis:, plus I have a personal rule that I don't emulate something unless its like 10 years old).
Do it and you need to get a DS mang, Platinum and Black&White. PLATINUM AND BLACK&WHITE.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
is platinum that much better than HG and SS??

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »

Do it and you need to get a DS mang, Platinum and Black&White. PLATINUM AND BLACK&WHITE.
I don't have the money for a DS right now. :P
And again, I don't feel right emulating recent games. I don't mind really old games because they've had a long time on the shelves.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »
Is the best from Gen IV, Better than Diamond and Pearl. I think SS is awesome because of the nostalgia value.

And again, I don't feel right emulating recent games. I don't mind really old games because they've had a long time on the shelves.
Don't worry you have like a year to get one.   ;D
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2010, 08:31:47 PM »
Is the best from Gen IV, Better than Diamond and Pearl. I think SS is awesome because of the nostalgia value.

Don't worry you have like a year to get one.   ;D

True, but the way this year is going I doubt I'll have the money a year from now  :(

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2010, 06:46:34 AM »
I was just noticing that there a fair few pokemon in black/white that evolve at MUCH higher levels than they used to

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2010, 07:06:52 AM »
Old ones? Or only regarding Gen5? I mean, it definitely depends on where you find certain pokémon...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2010, 07:08:24 AM »
Gen V

One of them evolves at level 59, which is higher than the highest previously, 55. There are more, too, that I don't know off the top of my head

Offline robwebster

« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2010, 08:04:04 AM »
Gen V

One of them evolves at level 59, which is higher than the highest previously, 55. There are more, too, that I don't know off the top of my head
There's a 64, I believe. Which is the highest evolution. And it's finally another one of those pokemon with multiple heads! Ages since a pokemon grew an extra head when it evolved. Used to be fairly common in the first gen. Koffing, Doduo, Magnemite, etc. Slowpoke, arguably. Seemed to disappear after that point. It's a sort of hydra, Dark/Dragon thing. Its second phase is exactly the same as its first phase, only with a second head. It's brilliant.

There's also a new one that's shaped like a pokeball. A mushroom with a sort of pokeball decal on top. I imagine they'll probably be "items" in a forest.

...Yeah, I caved. Got really bored, started looking at the upcoming pokemon. Haven't done that since before Gen II. Went into Gen III completely clueless, and loved that I found myself going "what the fuck is THAT" every five minutes (Solrock is one that I particularly remember as being totally weird-looking), so I deliberately didn't look up any info about Gen IV, either, pre-release. Found it marginally less exciting than the first time around, but still cool. But this time I couldn't resist. Some really cool stuff coming up, by the looks of things.

On the subject, Gen III has a wonderful atmosphere. Really like it. Feels more mythological than Gen IV, somehow. It's the one with the best plot, too.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »
Game actually interests me. And I haven't felt that way since FR&LG.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2010, 03:57:05 PM »
https://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/pokeparkwii/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B3

Is this game worth looking into? The Pokepark one for the Wii?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
Judging by the reviews? I'd figure not.

I really quite liked the concept when I first read about it. I do very much like the idea of playing a game as the Pokemon themselves. But I think half of the charm of Pokemon is the fact that it kind of works for anyone. I loved it when I was eight - YtseBitsySpider's like what, in his thirties (I think)? Only just playing it for the first time, and he's loving it equally.

By the sounds of things, the Pokepark game is a little more specifically kid-based, so I myself wouldn't be rushing to spend money on it. That said! You get to spend hours upon hours wandering around a park, imagining you're Pikachu. If you can find it on the cheap, then by all means! Give it a shot. And tell me how it is!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2010, 05:28:01 AM »
yup.

I help local parents out with "flashcarts" n such.

I sat down to test Heart Gold to make sure it would work.........................6 hours later....I wasn't 'testing' it anymore.
(I'm 36)

I hit 100 hours on the dot as I finished my second run through the elite 4, caught two more legendaries, and contemplated another run at Red. He's tough and I do not have tough pokemon. I've got mostly flyers and psychics.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2010, 05:40:14 AM »
That's grand! I really like that they have that effect on people. In spite of their slightly odd marketing. I think they could get a hell of a lot more sales if they kind of acknowledged the grown-ups a bit more. Definitely strong games.

Psychics are fairly good! They used to be the strongest type by quite a long chalk - they've since evened the odds a bit, but they're still fairly formidable.

What's your team looking like, as of now?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2010, 05:54:13 AM »
Togekiss - 78
Lugia (just caught) - 70
Ho-oh - 64
Gyrarados - 64
Mewtwo - 74
Meganium - 68

I've got a Steelix - 64 that I switch in there every once and a while.

I got my son into it (he's 7) and I traded him a level 30 geodude/graveler and it evolved into a Gollem. He's thrown all of his leveling time into that Pokemon, and his Gollem is now mid-80's. The technique has served him very well, and he's almost walked through the game on the back of that one pokemon.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2010, 06:24:43 AM »
You know what? I reckon - with a lot of potions - Red might juuuuust be doable with that team. By the skin of your teeth, but that's not a shabby lot. You've got water, fire, and grass represented, two versatile psychics, and Togekiss can absorb hits like nobody's business.

Although, I do have to admit that I only beat him by trading two level 95 pokemon across from a previous game. So you know, don't listen to me.

Golem does rock a bit. My brother used to have a similar thing going on with a Camerupt. Think it was traded, ended up leagues ahead of the rest of his team.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2010, 06:52:33 AM »
Gollem is very tough....he's got this move Rock Edge I think, it's just lethal...and my boy was smart kept using PP ups on it to give him more hits, and saved his ethyrs, and elixrs. He's a little succeptible to water attacks.

I think I need to better understand the Def, vs. SP Def numbers. Like my Steelix, has huge Def numbers but seems to get taken out very easily. I assume because of a low SP def? Does that mean he's vulnerable to special attacks of other pokemon?

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2010, 07:12:32 AM »
Yeah, you've got it!

Basically, each attack is either physical or special. It used to be that all psychic attacks were special, all rock attacks were physical, all electric attacks were special, etc. etc. But now there are little icons.

An attack like Thunderbolt, or Confusion is special. They don't make contact with the foe, they just generate a sort of field. Moves like Thunderpunch and Zen Headbutt, on the other hand, while still electric and psychic respectively, do physical damage.

If you've got a high attack stat, you're better off using physical attacks, whereas if you've got a high special attack stat you're better off using special attacks.

So, for a Pokemon like Gyarados - Surf is a special attack, whereas Waterfall is a physical attack, both of around the same power. Gyarados' attack stat is a fair bit higher than its special attack, so as a general rule, Waterfall would be playing to its strengths more than Surf.

However! Against a pokemon like - Steelix is a good example - its defence stat is astronomical. One of the very highest in the game. Meanwhile, its special defence is comparatively puny. So a Gyarados' Waterfall would probably leave nary a scratch on it, in spite of the strong attack stat and the type advantage. I imagine that against a Steelix, Surf would be a better option.

As a general rule, though, it's better to play to the Pokemon's strengths than anticipate a potential enemy's weaknesses. Unless there's a particular battle that's proving really problematic, it's usually wiser to give a Gyarados moves like Ice Fang, Waterfall, etc., than Ice Beam and Surf.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »
Hmm.....that all makes perfect sense.

My Gyrarados has Surf, Waterfall, Hyper beam, and Blizzard.

And my Steelix and most Onyx in general I notice are easily defeated using Extrasensory. That Extrasensory move has been my bread and butter throughout the game.

Excellent being able to bounce this stuff off someone who knows what's what.
Thanks Rob.
(PLM too!)

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2010, 07:52:15 AM »
Red is extremely tough even with pokemon who are level 100. Your main issue there is going to be his Snorlax, which has extremely high defense and HP. Unless one of your pokemon has a serious fighting type move, that Snorlax may very well destroy your whole team

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »
I got rid of his Pikachu without much trouble, then Blasoise came in and 1-shot-killed most of my guys.
Important to use the x-defs and x-attacks

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »
Hmm.....that all makes perfect sense.

My Gyrarados has Surf, Waterfall, Hyper beam, and Blizzard.

And my Steelix and most Onyx in general I notice are easily defeated using Extrasensory. That Extrasensory move has been my bread and butter throughout the game.

Excellent being able to bounce this stuff off someone who knows what's what.
Thanks Rob.
(PLM too!)
I do like Extrasensory - and aye, it'll cut through more or less any Steelix. Gyarados-wise, you could possibly think about switching Hyper Beam with Giga Impact. You can buy both as TMs for the same price, and they're both normal-type moves with the same PP and power. Only difference is that Giga Impact's physical, so it should do over twice as much base damage.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »
will do.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »
Does Giga Impact have the same 1 turn penalty too?